Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers for season 8)

Old May 16th, 2010, 12:39 am
Knower of things

Re: The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers up to series 4 and specials and now series 5!)

A bit on the surprised side that no one has commented yet!

Spoiler: show

I'm a bit meh on this one to be honest. I hate that there's a pattern with the Doctors and Companions. A girl of X age with boyfriend/significant others issue. Girl believes she's the Doctor's one confidant and that she is different and she is special. She will buck trends of everyone who's gone before. It really is getting tedious.

Having said that, I do like Amy Pond as a character, but with Rory there are way too many parallels with Rose and Mickey except the Doctor seems to like Rory a bit more. I'm just finding the whole thing a bit rehashed.

On that note, I wasn't a fan of today's episode either, although the eye in the mouth for me was novel. The episode was disjointed and just didn't sit together properly for me, was it just me or did anyone else find it?

Toby Jones (the voice of Dobby) was good though as the Dream lord but honestly I don't think enough info or development was given to the character of the Dream lord to make us want to know more about him and where the Doctor knows him from.

Old May 16th, 2010, 11:33 am
Representative Homosexual

Re: The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers up to series 4 and specials and now series 5!)

All I have to say is I <3 Mullets. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
I hate that there's a pattern with the Doctors and Companions. A girl of X age with boyfriend/significant others issue. Girl believes she's the Doctor's one confidant and that she is different and she is special. She will buck trends of everyone who's gone before. It really is getting tedious.
Can I get a "hear, hear!"

Yeah, it seems the Doctor likes Rory more, but it'd be SO much better if Amy didn't like the Doctor so much. I was hoping it would be more of a father-daughter thing, but it seems pretty clear it's going down the same ol' path. If Rory sticks around for the rest of the series, that would be a LOT better.

I thought the dream lord thingy was interesting. The explanation sat with me just fine, though, but it could have been a little longer. That is to say, at least until the end where you see the dream lord's reflection in the console thingamy and it makes you wonder what's going on. Seems like they meant it to be clever but it'll turn out to be a loose end, but that's fairly typical of DW anyway.

I didn't hate it, but it wasn't my favourite. I'm glad they sorted out to kill themselves in both dreams, because that helped it to make more sense. I'm sad Rory cut off his pony tail. D:

Additionally, I thought the cold star was a little silly. The temperature in space is close enough to 0 Kelvin that they'd have frozen to death with or without one. :P

Last edited by Rastaban43; May 16th, 2010 at 11:35 am.
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:53 am
MODLY CREW

Maybe the dream lord is the season baddie? This episode firmly establishes the already twice mentioned fairy tale plot as the overall theme, no? The dream lord created fiction and left it up to Amy to choose reality. Time and reality are being rewritten etc.

Old May 16th, 2010, 11:54 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

I hope that now Amy has realized that Rory is the one she really loves there won't be any doubts and backtracking anymore. Just let them be a happy couple and see how the Doctor deals with it. He defintely likes them together so don't ruin it. I think a solid couple dynamic would be a lot more interesting then the Rose-Mickey relationship, which was always rather onesided from the beginning.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:30 pm

I've reconsidered the cold star thing. If they were in deep space where it's that cold, they probably wouldn't lose their heat that fast because there wouldn't be any particles around them to steal it from them. So maybe around a cold star there are a bunch of cold particles? But that couldn't exist because if cold particles were moving in the first place, the particles wouldn't be that cold, right? Maybe it's something that speeds up radiation or something, and sucks out all of your heat, but how would it do that? Maybe like anti-radiation or something? LOL, perhaps it's best just to leave this one alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Maybe the dream lord is the season baddie? This episode firmly establishes the already twice mentioned fairy tale plot as the overall theme, no? The dream lord created fiction and left it up to Amy to choose reality. Time and reality are being rewritten etc.
Hmm ... that'd be pretty interesting.

Maybe it has something to do with Amy not remembering the daleks. And of course the cracks in space. (And the swimming pool that is constantly mentioned.) Like, maybe all of these adventures are actually the same ones little Amy has drawn in her Raggedy Doctor comics so they aren't real, but that's all she can remember because what is real she can't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I hope that now Amy has realized that Rory is the one she really loves there won't be any doubts and backtracking anymore.
Yes, seriously, PLEASE, let's leave it at that!

Old May 16th, 2010, 12:40 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Well if the Dreamlord is the season's big bad, then it pretty much makes it the Doctor Vs his Evilself (if anyone mentions the Valeyard I will scream).

The episode was quite good, though it seemed to be missing something.

Oh and this filled me with the lolz (it's an injoke before anyone takes it seriously) -

Peeps on Gallifreybase think it reads like this -
TARDIS
TIME AND RELATIVE DIMENSION IN SPACE

BUILD SITE: GALLIFREY BLACKHOLE SHIPYARD

TYPE 40 BUILD DATE: 1963
AUTHORISED FOR USE BY QUALIFIED TIME LORDS ONLY
BY THE SHADOW PROCLOMATION

MISUSE OR THEFT OF ANY TARDIS
WILL RESULT IN EXTREME PENALTIES OR POSSIBLE EXILE

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:47 pm
First Year

I think that until last nights episode the crack in amys wall was very interesting and a good way to plot the whole show around the end of time being her fault if she made the wrong choice. But now with last episodes being named 'amy's choice' it looks more like the whole problem with the crack will be solved and it won't be a problem anymore. Time will continue and Rory and Amy will get married. They just don't know when.. I think it's a bit strange because it looked like Amys choice would be a big part of the story, but now it seems solved..

If none of that made sense.. Sorry
haha

Quote:
Maybe it has something to do with Amy not remembering the daleks. And of course the cracks in space. (And the swimming pool that is constantly mentioned.) Like, maybe all of these adventures are actually the same ones little Amy has drawn in her Raggedy Doctor comics so they aren't real, but that's all she can remember because what is real she can't remember.
That's actually a really good idea Rastaban43. It seemed like she was a bit messed up because of her earlier "friendship" with the Doctor.. But i don't think that that could be the case. Because i think that the whole deal is that no body remembers it. I just can't figure out why...

Proud to be a Hufflepuff

Last edited by ElliPhoenix; May 16th, 2010 at 12:50 pm.
Old May 16th, 2010, 4:22 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:

Toby Jones (the voice of Dobby) was good though as the Dream lord but honestly I don't think enough info or development was given to the character of the Dream lord to make us want to know more about him and where the Doctor knows him from.
Talk of Dream Lords makes me wonder if this is a precursor to Neil Gaiman's script in the next series. Although I doubt he'd be interested in going back over that old territory.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 16th, 2010, 6:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
if anyone mentions the Valeyard I will scream
Haha, my boyfriend just mentioned this word, totally unprompted, and I had to figure out what BOTH of you were talking about. He seems to believe the dream lord = the valeyard but it was just a one-off reprise, sort of subtle nod to the old fans.

Old May 16th, 2010, 8:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Talk of Dream Lords makes me wonder if this is a precursor to Neil Gaiman's script in the next series. Although I doubt he'd be interested in going back over that old territory.
Neil Gaiman blew the budget with his episode, so it's been pushed back to series 6. He will probably have something else up his sleeves for Doctor Who.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
Haha, my boyfriend just mentioned this word, totally unprompted, and I had to figure out what BOTH of you were talking about. He seems to believe the dream lord = the valeyard but it was just a one-off reprise, sort of subtle nod to the old fans.
Basically the Valeyard is an evil version of the Doctor from near the end of the Doctor's regeneration cycle. The Valeyard was last seen in the trial of a Time Lord (really boring that one).

Quote:

The Dreamlord was the Doctor's Evil side (if you believe what the Doctor says). The Doctor would face no greater enemy than himself. So there is a small chance the Dreamlord could return in episodes 12 and 13.
"What if we had ideas that could think for themselves?
What if one day our dreams no longer needed us?
When these things occur, and are held to be true,
the time will be upon us -- The Time of Angels..."

Or it might be Moffat leading us up the garden path.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old May 16th, 2010, 9:31 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:

I'm a bit meh on this one to be honest. I hate that there's a pattern with the Doctors and Companions. A girl of X age with boyfriend/significant others issue. Girl believes she's the Doctor's one confidant and that she is different and she is special. She will buck trends of everyone who's gone before. It really is getting tedious.

Having said that, I do like Amy Pond as a character, but with Rory there are way too many parallels with Rose and Mickey except the Doctor seems to like Rory a bit more. I'm just finding the whole thing a bit rehashed.
I agree. I was cringing in Flesh and Stone when Amy first started hinting that she had to think "who was right for her." I do not want another Rose. I want Amy and Rory to be happy together, and the Doctor can just be a friend. It just is way too tedious to have almost every companion develop feelings for the Doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I hope that now Amy has realized that Rory is the one she really loves there won't be any doubts and backtracking anymore. Just let them be a happy couple and see how the Doctor deals with it. He defintely likes them together so don't ruin it. I think a solid couple dynamic would be a lot more interesting then the Rose-Mickey relationship, which was always rather onesided from the beginning.
Completely Agree.

Old May 17th, 2010, 11:53 pm
Knower of things

Do we keep having to reset the resets? Tedious in itself no?

Maybe Fairy tales or making choices are part of this year's arc?

I also saw today that Dr Who is going on "tour" minus Doctor and Companion it could be fab or it could be a disaster!. For my part I enjoy Murray Gold's music (except the awful re imagining of the theme)

Old May 18th, 2010, 5:32 pm
Fourth Year

Cool article Liselle!

If I lived in England, I would probably attend.

From the article:
Moffat said: "This is everything I ever wanted since I was eleven. A live show, with all the coolest Doctor Who monsters, a proper story, and brand new screen material for Matt Smith's Doctor! I'll be writing scenes for it, and probably attending every single night!" (Emphasis added)

What does that mean? I hope he doesn't mean to include these stage shows as cannon and thus advancing the plot here in a venue most people won't see...

-JR

Just & Loyal
Old May 18th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR637 View Post
From the article:
Moffat said: "This is everything I ever wanted since I was eleven. A live show, with all the coolest Doctor Who monsters, a proper story, and brand new screen material for Matt Smith's Doctor! I'll be writing scenes for it, and probably attending every single night!" (Emphasis added)

What does that mean? I hope he doesn't mean to include these stage shows as cannon and thus advancing the plot here in a venue most people won't see...
They did something similar with D Tennant at the Albert Hall - it was also shown on the beeb so I would expect something similar

My Fanfic - The Silver Thread - (WIP) updated 03/07/09

Sig by the most professional, clever & witty Boushh
(Original photo-manipulation of AR by helin)
Old May 18th, 2010, 9:49 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Episode 12 title confirmed as -
The Pandorica Opens.
Episode 13's current title is - The Big Bang. But may change.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old May 19th, 2010, 6:31 am
Squee-worthy

I don't know if it's been said here, I haven't seen it, but Karen Gillan will be the companion for the 2011 series.

Quote:
Episode 12 title confirmed as -
The Pandorica Opens.
Episode 13's current title is - The Big Bang. But may change.
So does that mean River will be back for the finale? She told the Doctor they'd meet again when the Pandorica opens.

Last edited by Lord Godric; May 19th, 2010 at 7:24 am.
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:52 am
Hogwarts Graduate

River Song is in the finale.

Here's a list that's to do with episodes 12 and 13.
A list of foes the Doctor may well face -
* Daleks
* Cybermen
* Sontarans
* Autons
* Sycorax
* Pilot Fish
* Hoix
* Weevils
* Judoon
* Silurians
* (Possible) Ogrons.

Pandorica ? Might be related to the myth of Pandora's box.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath

Last edited by Kevin; May 19th, 2010 at 11:55 am.
Old May 19th, 2010, 2:25 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:

* Daleks
* Cybermen
* Sontarans
* Autons
* Sycorax
* Pilot Fish
* Hoix
* Weevils
* Judoon
* Silurians
* (Possible) Ogrons.

Yeah that seems like a pretty hard-core line up I can't wait! I kinda wish episode 13 was something like "Silence Falls" or something...but The Big Bang could represent an entire reboot of everything....no more Time War? Tons of Time Lords? Tons of Daleks?? Think of the new possibilities! The fan-rage would be deafening, but it might be worth it...

-JR

Just & Loyal
Old May 19th, 2010, 5:06 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Other than a vauge rumor about the Master, nothing has been said about the Time Lords. Probably too soon for them to come back anyway. If Moffat wants to bring them back at all (he has professed a dislike for them in the past or at least Classic Series Time Lords doing boring political things on Gallifrey).

Another tidbit - Looks like there might be an intergalatic witchhunt for the Doctor. Hence all the bad guys. The Pandorica remains a mystery. Young and Adult Amy by the looks of things will play a key role in the finale. Also expect to see Rory fall through a crack before the finale.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old May 19th, 2010, 7:54 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:

* Daleks
* Cybermen
* Sontarans
* Autons
* Sycorax
* Pilot Fish
* Hoix
* Weevils
* Judoon
* Silurians
* (Possible) Ogrons.

All of them? Or just one or two? That could either be amazing, or horrible. But so far this season has been very, very good; so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television