Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers for season 8)

Old June 6th, 2010, 11:48 am
MODLY CREW

Re: The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers up to series 4 and specials and now series 5!)

First of all, I loved this episode so much!

As to the accent, honestly, it's the first time I ever heard the name pronounced Van Goff. I was totally taken aback. Matt definitely failed here.

Spoiler: show
Tony Curran was amazing! I loved every scene in which he was and especially when he was with Amy and the Doctor. When they stare up at the stars and Vincent tells them how he sees the world - wow. What a great moment! One of the best scenes DW delivered.

Amy crying and not knowing why broke my heart.

And I literally cried when they took him to the museum. How many great artists died never knowing that their work would endure? Tony Curran's face when Bill Nighy gushed about him and his work! Awwww.

The only thing that bugged me was that the Doctor was out of character at times. When he swished and flicked the stick in the exact opposite direction as the monster, fighting thin air...um. He may not have been able to see it but he could hear it, yes? And Vincent was actually hitting it so why would the Doctor hit the air in a completely random direction? It was supposed to be funny but it was just illogical and incompetent. The same goes for Vincent's depression and how the Doctor handled it. After 900 years and all the things he's seen and lost himself, he cannot find one word of comfort/understanding/help for Van Gogh? Not a single thing? He just stood there, shuffling around uncomfortably, even though this Doctor has no problems talking about ~emotions? These two things weren't very Doctor-y to me and disrupted my suspense of disbelief. Other than that, the episode was fabulous and awesome and I want to see it again right away!

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:57 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Re: The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers up to series 4 and specials and now series 5!)

I'm glad I'm not the only one getting teary eyed from the episode.

I still wonder why they couldn't have coached Matt better on the pronounciation but maybe they did try and it was hopeless

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old June 6th, 2010, 6:02 pm
Third Year

I agree with you on the way the Doctor was written in those scenes Moriath. I definitely think Curtis' biggest flaw with this ep was how he sometimes wrote the character, after the weak monster plot. However, the Doc also had a lot of brilliant moments as well so I can't complain too much.

DH2A member/Malfoy Manor split supporter

"I like a quiet life, you know me."

Old June 6th, 2010, 7:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Well Bill Nighy and the little boy did make a good attempt at the name but Matt...

Anyhoo I really loved this episode, it was emotional and Amy was awesome. Also Tony Curran makes one good Vincent! I think I've never been so moved by a Doctor Who episode.

I've read a few reviews who pretty much sink this episode, but I don't really care, I enjoyed it.
I think it's one of the best ever episodes of Doctor Who.
Everything was perfect (apart from Smith not being able to say Vincents name properly, and i erm can't remember how to spell it). I also admired the fact they did not shy away from depression and suicide. It was expertly dealt with.

As for the reviews ? I'm guessing the reviewers just don't like Richard Curtiss and marked the episode down because of that.

Oh and a little spoiler -
This is not the last we've seen of Vincents paintings this series. One painting will bring a terrible prophecy to the Doctor, eventually.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old June 8th, 2010, 1:10 pm
Suteki da ne

Van Goff is the way a lot of Brits pronounce his name, so we can't really be too harsh on poor Matt here

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old June 10th, 2010, 7:29 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Updated press release about episode 13 -
The Doctor is gone, the Tardis has been destroyed, and the universe is collapsing. The only hope for all reality is a little girl who still believes in stars, as this series of Doctor Who concludes with an episode written by Steven Moffat.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old June 11th, 2010, 5:04 am
Squee-worthy

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon to say that I really did love Vincent and the Doctor. One of my all time favorite episodes. I think it was beautifully done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Oh and a little spoiler -
This is not the last we've seen of Vincents paintings this series. One painting will bring a terrible prophecy to the Doctor, eventually.
I noticed in the preview for the next episode when they show the man looking at the picture on his refrigerator right above the picture is a pamphlet or card or something from a museum that says "Vincent Van Gogh." They must be dropping a few clues about that.

Old June 11th, 2010, 3:41 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Turn Left moment is coming up in the finale...

Instead of the Stars going out, they are gonna Explode. Along with the TARDIS by the sounds of it.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:31 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Not sure about today's episode. Matt seemed to enjoy himself (maybe a bit over the top). Last scene with Amy is interesting.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:13 am
MODLY CREW

I think I liked it. It was worth it for the football and shower scenes alone.

And the guest stars were beyond adorable. The Doctor trying to blend in was just hilarious. Loved it.

Old June 13th, 2010, 4:41 pm
Third Year

Agreed, James Corden was awesome.

Old June 13th, 2010, 9:21 pm
Representative Homosexual

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would have.

Old June 13th, 2010, 11:31 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
I liked it a lot more than I thought I would have.
Yes, I expected this to be a rather mediocre companion-light episode but it was surprisingly well-scripted and acted. The weekly villain wasn't great but this seemed almost unimportant because the Doctor trying to pass as human and the likeable guest stars made the show.

Old June 14th, 2010, 1:56 am
First Year

Not to mention the Doctor trying to be ready for an attack with a ......Sonic toothbrush?!?

I'm in GRYFFINDOR!!!......AND I LIKE PIE!
~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Old June 14th, 2010, 3:03 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I liked that episode, i think it was a late replacement for Neil Gaiman's episode (he blew the FX budget, thus it's been shunted to series 6, should be episode 3). I do wonder if Moffat will pick up on the "Somebody is trying to build a TARDIS" line.

A few things for the finale -
River Song will have a stolen time vortex manipulator (probably not Jack's). The Doctor will be using this. Which would explain the scene between Amy and the Doctor in the weeping angel two parter where the Doctor has got his jacket back on after the angels had nicked it aka Future Doctor.
It sounds like the Doctor loses the TARDIS, and pinches the time vortex manipulator off River. Who may well fly a TARDIS in episode 13.

A spoilery Pic (from teaser trailer i think) -

Can't even begin fathom the finale, so much conflicting information has poured out in the last few days.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old June 14th, 2010, 5:11 pm
Rocket Scientist

I just got finished watching hungry earth. I think im liking it more and more now, it just took a while to get used to the new characters. I think the appearance of Rory has helped immensely. I also really enjoyed Amy's Choice. Great episode, brought the whole idea of the doctor/romantic dilemma to a head, very well done. Im excited to see how the second half on hungry earth turns out.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old June 19th, 2010, 5:52 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

So the Pandorica opens tonight. As far as spoilers go ?
I do have some, but I'm not posting them. As the people who have
seen the episode basically say you'll enjoy it more, the less you know
about it.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:33 pm
First Year

It was an all round awesome episode for me! Although for spoil sake those who have not seen it do not read the spoiler bits!

During the ep when the
Cyberman head and arm each got a life of its own
and when
Rory turned up as a Roman soldier
my face went like this from beginning to end: !!

~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Old June 20th, 2010, 1:49 am
Representative Homosexual

Muahaha, I knew it!

Old June 20th, 2010, 2:57 pm
First Year

There must be a lot happening in next weeks ep if they decide not to show a trailer!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television