Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Sherlock

Old August 13th, 2010, 8:20 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Re: Sherlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
I think his pneumonia happened before that.
Really? OK, bang goes that theory...

Quote:
I've seen five minutes of the unaired pilot and, boy, he looked ill!
How? Where?

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2010, 5:49 pm
Suteki da ne

*has to see unaired pilot*

They're gonna show it somehow- they'll prob put it on a DVD or something. Total waste of money if they hide it in a box for years

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old August 15th, 2010, 6:06 pm

I don't know. I've heard rumours it was pants, which is why they buried it. I think, on balance, I'd rather they didn't release it than compromise the quality of the series.

Old August 17th, 2010, 7:01 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
I don't know. I've heard rumours it was pants, which is why they buried it. I think, on balance, I'd rather they didn't release it than compromise the quality of the series.
I read up on it after you had mentioned it, and yes, it's supposed to be really bad. I wouldn't mind having it on the DVD though.

Old August 18th, 2010, 7:48 am
First Year

So I just watched the first episode of Sherlock online because I don't live in the UK....anyways, I loved it! I really liked how they used modern technologies and that they showed his thinking during the suicide inspection.

Now a couple quick questions:

Are there really only 3 episodes for season 1? Or are they going to continue with more episodes for season 1 later?

I did happen to see that they are continuing the show. Does anybody know when they will start again?

Hufflepuff!
Old August 18th, 2010, 8:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62442MAGIC View Post

So I just watched the first episode of Sherlock online because I don't live in the UK....anyways, I loved it! I really liked how they used modern technologies and that they showed his thinking during the suicide inspection.
It's fab, isn't it?

Quote:
Are there really only 3 episodes for season 1? Or are they going to continue with more episodes for season 1 later?
There really are only 3 episodes. I don't understand it, either.

Quote:
I did happen to see that they are continuing the show. Does anybody know when they will start again?
Last thing I read, they were saying it would probably be more than a year - Steven Moffat is heavily tied up with Doctor Who, so is finding it hard to find the time to write more scripts and Benedict Cumberbatch has a very heavy filming schedule.

Old August 18th, 2010, 10:08 pm
MODLY CREW

It took them years to get the scripts for the first three parts together. I really hope we'll get more Sherlock as soon as next year.

Until then, I'll have to comfort myself with the DVD.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 8:14 pm
Suteki da ne

quote from Twitter

Quote:
sherlocking :New post: Unaired Pilot To Air Aug 22? http://www.sherlocking.org/?p=558

suevertue @sherlocking . No that's an error about the pilot being tx'd but it will be on the DVD which is released August 30th

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old August 24th, 2010, 9:39 pm
MODLY CREW

I'm going to buy the DVD when I'm in London. I'm so excited and cannot wait to own it. The mini series did things to my brain.

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:23 pm

I'm feeling bereft and depressed now it's over The last time I felt anything like this was after I finished reading The Half-Blood Prince - that same feeling of "I can't believe they're making us wait 1-2 years to find out what happens. I simply can't bear it!"

Obviously, I'll get the DVD, too (although I'm still in two minds about whether to watch the pilot).

Old August 25th, 2010, 6:41 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
I'm feeling bereft and depressed now it's over The last time I felt anything like this was after I finished reading The Half-Blood Prince - that same feeling of "I can't believe they're making us wait 1-2 years to find out what happens. I simply can't bear it!"

Obviously, I'll get the DVD, too (although I'm still in two minds about whether to watch the pilot).
Oh, I'll watch it. Even though it's supposed to be really bad. I like to have the comparison because they kept some scenes and only slightly changed them and they recast some of the actors. And I'm sure that Freeman and the Cumberbatch are good in it regardless.

Old August 25th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Oh, I'll watch it. Even though it's supposed to be really bad. I like to have the comparison because they kept some scenes and only slightly changed them and they recast some of the actors.
Yes, I'm sure curiosity will eventually get the better of me (not to mention a more carnally driven desire to see as much of Mr Cumberbatch as possible).

And, you're right, from an analytical, production history sort of angle it will be fascinating to see what they used, what they developed and honed and what they binned.

Quote:
And I'm sure that Freeman and the Cumberbatch are good in it regardless.
Ah, yes. A nice quotation from a newspaper review which may eventually find its way into my signature:

Quote:
The Daily Telegraph
BBC executives have a simple solution available to them to silence the constant carping about the quality of their drama output: cast Benedict Cumberbatch in every production going.

Old August 26th, 2010, 3:03 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
It took them years to get the scripts for the first three parts together. I really hope we'll get more Sherlock as soon as next year.

Until then, I'll have to comfort myself with the DVD.
Strange things happen. There was a four-year gap between the first and second series of Fawlty Towers.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 26th, 2010, 8:29 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure curiosity will eventually get the better of me (not to mention a more carnally driven desire to see as much of Mr Cumberbatch as possible).

And, you're right, from an analytical, production history sort of angle it will be fascinating to see what they used, what they developed and honed and what they binned.
That quote is fantastic and the Beeb should adhere to it. By the way, have you seen To the Ends of the Earth? It will help you fix your craving for more Cumberbatch, he's quite terrific in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Strange things happen. There was a four-year gap between the first and second series of Fawlty Towers.
Don't even say that. I can do a year and a half, anything more is unacceptable.

Old August 26th, 2010, 11:26 am

Quote:
By the way, have you seen To the Ends of the Earth? It will help you fix your craving for more Cumberbatch, he's quite terrific in it.
No, I haven't, but I now intend to! Thanks for the pointer. A sensible, serious-minded, theatre-loving friend, who doesn't really do telly so has missed all the Sherlock hype and never, ever squees, saw him in After the Dance in the West End a few weeks ago and was absolutely blown away by him.

Btw, completely randomly, I've just discovered that Rupert Graves went to the school that's at the end of the road where I live (I knew he was from the same town as me, but not that).

Old August 28th, 2010, 4:34 pm

It's back in Autumn 2011! Too long, but at least not a Fawlty Towers scenario:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...8/bbcone.shtml

Old August 29th, 2010, 7:28 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
It's back in Autumn 2011! Too long, but at least not a Fawlty Towers scenario:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...8/bbcone.shtml
I'm less than thrilled about the compulsive need to pair Sherlock off. And this version has been built up as an asexual sociopath. Why do they have to give him a female love interest now? I hope the second series won't suffer from the Merlin phenomenon, a series which also had a fantastic bromance going on but then shifted its focus to Arthur/Gwen and Merlin/Freya in the most crude and clumsy way. Just because there have to be love interests. But I'll just keep my fingers crossed that Gatiss and Moffat are the better writers and know what they're doing. I'm clinging to said hope.

Old August 29th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Quote:
I'm less than thrilled about the compulsive need to pair Sherlock off. And this version has been built up as an asexual sociopath. Why do they have to give him a female love interest now? I hope the second series won't suffer from the Merlin phenomenon, a series which also had a fantastic bromance going on but then shifted its focus to Arthur/Gwen and Merlin/Freya in the most crude and clumsy way. Just because there have to be love interests. But I'll just keep my fingers crossed that Gatiss and Moffat are the better writers and know what they're doing. I'm clinging to said hope.
Yes, I was a bit worried by the "falling" line (and even my sister, who's really not that into the series, exclaimed "But that would be totally out of character!" in horror when I told her about it), but they deliberately kept it ambiguous, so I'm hoping against hope that he falls into a waterfall, not in love.

If they absolutely have to pair him off or have him fall onesidedly in love (and on the whole I would much prefer him to either stay asexual or have vague hints of an unrequited/subliminal attraction, but nothing concrete), I'd rather they did it with an existing character (either John or Molly would be OK with me)than have him fall for Irene Adler/someone else totally new.

But, on the bright side, I think they've handled John's relationship with Sarah well so far without it threatening the bromance and Cumberbatch is such a superlative actor, that I'm sure he will make whatever they come up with seem utterly believable, no matter if it's actually totally preposterous (in the same way that he can make totally unremarkable lines like "Not many Van Koons in the 'phone book" sound like gems of sparkling wit).

Generally, I'm a bit anxious that the second series will disappoint, partly because my expectations are now so insanely high (whereas I started watching the first series not expecting it to be any good).

And I really must stop going on about this programme now, because I think I've become a tad obsessed.

Old August 29th, 2010, 8:17 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
And I really must stop going on about this programme now, because I think I've become a tad obsessed.
No, no! Keep obsessing, it's going to be a long year and I need company.

Old August 30th, 2010, 4:15 pm

Guess what I've just bought?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television