Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The Walking Dead

Old November 22nd, 2010, 6:59 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Re: The Walking Dead

Just found this show. Saw half of the third episode and all of tonight's. I'm intrigued. Can I find the first two online anywhere?

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2010, 9:12 am
Representative Homosexual

It looks like you can watch all of episode 1 on amctv.com but I'm not sure about the rest. It seems odd they haven't got all the episodes on the net since they'll be trying their best to promote it, but maybe I just can't find them all. If you have Comcast, I know On Demand currently has the first three episodes (the first until Nov. 28) and will probably add the fourth tomorrow.

I'm glad more people are watching. So far the show hasn't disappointed me. I'm just sad the first season will only have six episodes. XD

Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:34 pm
Queen of Apathy

Last nights episode was again very good. From reading the books I knew what was going to happen to Amy but the emotion doesn't translate as well in the comic.

I hate that there are only 6 episodes too. I think this was done because they were unsure of what the reception would be. It has been picked up for a second season and I heard that the following seasons would have the normal amount of episodes. 13 I believe.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 9:54 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
It looks like you can watch all of episode 1 on amctv.com but I'm not sure about the rest. It seems odd they haven't got all the episodes on the net since they'll be trying their best to promote it, but maybe I just can't find them all. If you have Comcast, I know On Demand currently has the first three episodes (the first until Nov. 28) and will probably add the fourth tomorrow.

I'm glad more people are watching. So far the show hasn't disappointed me. I'm just sad the first season will only have six episodes. XD
That's good. But it would be rather weird if you couldn't catch the rest. Charter is doing the same thing with their On Demand.

Not sure if I can keep watching them that way though, since my mom and I are having problems with them -- Charter that is, not the show .

So I hope that they'll put them onto their site for those who may not have cable soon.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post

Yeah, I went to the website but only saw the first episode available. When I tried to watch it, though, it just showed the introductory advertisement and then stopped like I had already seen the whole episode. Every time I clicked, the same thing happened. I'll have to try to catch it On Demand at my mom's house because I have DirecTV instead of Comcast. I'll have to find a time to watch it when she's not around, though, because she could never stomach the zombie action!

Old November 23rd, 2010, 9:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Yeah, I went to the website but only saw the first episode available. When I tried to watch it, though, it just showed the introductory advertisement and then stopped like I had already seen the whole episode. Every time I clicked, the same thing happened. I'll have to try to catch it On Demand at my mom's house because I have DirecTV instead of Comcast. I'll have to find a time to watch it when she's not around, though, because she could never stomach the zombie action!
That's kind of how my mom is too . So I've been using On Demand a lot so I can catch it. But if we get rid of the box, then I'll have to catch the encore presentation of the episode.

Speaking of which, just saw the fourth episode last night and it was really good.

Worth every penny.

Spoiler: show
It was interesting seeing how people dealt with the crisis and how things came down.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:26 pm
Fifth Year

I made sure to catch the premiere episode on Halloween night, but somehow, like a dunce, I forgot to watch ep2 the following Sunday.. argh!
I've managed to catch the others so far though.

I've been a zombie fan for a number of years. This is the best zombie thing on television since the British "Dead Set" miniseries last year.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymmditch View Post
I made sure to catch the premiere episode on Halloween night, but somehow, like a dunce, I forgot to watch ep2 the following Sunday.. argh!
I've managed to catch the others so far though.

I've been a zombie fan for a number of years. This is the best zombie thing on television since the British "Dead Set" miniseries last year.
Yea it is. I like the atmosphere of the series so far. It's been really creepy.

Old November 28th, 2010, 4:32 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I've just started with this show. Only up to the third episode, but I'm enjoying it immensely so far. Post-apocalyptic scenarios are always so fascinating. I'm not really much of a zombie aficionado - I've only seen half a dozen films - so I'm not sure how well trod some of the territory is, but it's certainly gripping.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old November 29th, 2010, 4:05 am
Queen of Apathy

Can I just say that the ending of tonight's episode had my nerves on edge!

I kept screaming at my tv to let them in haha.

Old November 29th, 2010, 4:06 am
Third Year

I like how this show doesn't have those jumpy, pop out moments, you know what I mean? I was afraid there would be moments when someone is having a serious or heartfelt conversation & a zombie pops out out of nowhere, but so far, this hasn't happened which I'm immensely grateful for. I'm glad the series focuses on the development of the characters & not for scare tactics.

The ending to tonight's episode was A-MAZING. I could feel Rick's pain & desperation when he was pleading. Oh my gosh so moving, touching. It was a great ending with his pleas & the added fear & terror of the group's.

PS. I think the scientist guy infected Andrea so he can test on her. & why do they sometimes call the zombies geeks?

oneinthesandbox.tumblr.com
Old November 29th, 2010, 4:23 am
Queen of Apathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda86 View Post

The ending to tonight's episode was A-MAZING. I could feel Rick's pain & desperation when he was pleading. Oh my gosh so moving, touching. It was a great ending with his pleas & the added fear & terror of the group's.

PS. I think the scientist guy infected Andrea so he can test on her. & why do they sometimes call the zombies geeks?
I have had discussions about this with friends of mine who watch the show plus I have read about it. Many think it comes from the old slang term "Geek show" which was the opener for freak shows in the old style carnivals. You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek_show

The most recent thing I read claims the term comes from the Deadworld comics. Which is another zombie comic.

Old November 30th, 2010, 4:42 am
First Year

I like this show quite a bit, but I don't really find myself caring too much for the characters. Maybe it's just because it's still so new, and I haven't had time to really get to know them. I did cry like a baby when they left Jim on the side of the road, though, so maybe I care more than I think.

Looking forward to the finale anyway.

Old November 30th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Quote:
I like how this show doesn't have those jumpy, pop out moments, you know what I mean? I was afraid there would be moments when someone is having a serious or heartfelt conversation & a zombie pops out out of nowhere, but so far, this hasn't happened which I'm immensely grateful for. I'm glad the series focuses on the development of the characters & not for scare tactics.

Same here. It's nice to see that the characters get to have their moments, uninterrupted (for the most part) by the zombies themselves.

Yea it was pretty good. My mom wasn't overly thrilled with the show though . Don't blame her entirely though, since there are some weak points sometimes. But I'm really looking forward to next week's episode...

@ Alwaysme: Love your new avatar .

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; December 1st, 2010 at 12:20 am.
Old December 1st, 2010, 12:14 am

This is one of the best shows I've seen in a while. I love how human it is in the midst of all the zombies. They aren't afraid to spend the time on the quiet character moments. I love that.

Quote:
why do they sometimes call the zombies geeks?
I'm not sure where geeks comes from, but I read an interview with one of the show's creators on EW.com where they asked him a similar question--why don't they call them "zombies"? He said that that's how it is in all zombie movies (I don't know because I don't really watch zombie movies). But he said that they play it like the characters have never seen a zombie movie or ever heard about zombies before--like it's just a normal part of the genre. Interesting. I didn't know that.

Old December 1st, 2010, 2:08 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
I'm not sure where geeks comes from, but I read an interview with one of the show's creators on EW.com where they asked him a similar question--why don't they call them "zombies"? He said that that's how it is in all zombie movies (I don't know because I don't really watch zombie movies). But he said that they play it like the characters have never seen a zombie movie or ever heard about zombies before--like it's just a normal part of the genre. Interesting. I didn't know that.
I'm no zombie aficionado - I do have a friend who's a big fan of zombie stories, though - but I've seen the major entries in the zombie-flick subgenre, and I can't recall hearing the word "zombie" in any of them. I'm not sure that self-aware, sort of Scream-esque zombie movie has ever been made, but I'd kind of like to see one.

Old December 1st, 2010, 2:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
I'm not sure that self-aware, sort of Scream-esque zombie movie has ever been made, but I'd kind of like to see one.
Me, too!

I also read another interview today with another one of the writers or creators (don't remember which). She talked about how in the comics, the cause of the zombification is never revealed . . . and it may never be revealed in the show, either. It sounded like that was something that was being discussed--if they would explain the cause or not. What does everyone think of that? Are you watching this show for the "mystery" of it all, like Lost? Or are you watching more for the characters? Personally, I'm curious about how this all started, but it won't really bother me if it's never explained.

Old December 1st, 2010, 3:44 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
I also read another interview today with another one of the writers or creators (don't remember which). She talked about how in the comics, the cause of the zombification is never revealed . . . and it may never be revealed in the show, either. It sounded like that was something that was being discussed--if they would explain the cause or not. What does everyone think of that? Are you watching this show for the "mystery" of it all, like Lost? Or are you watching more for the characters? Personally, I'm curious about how this all started, but it won't really bother me if it's never explained.
Hmmm...Well, I'm not watching this show for any larger, overarching mystery, certainly not one on the scale of Lost, but I can't say I'm watching for the characters either - or, at least, I don't find any of them too compelling on their own. At this point, I'm mainly engaging with The Walking Dead as a novelty - I love the tone of it, the constant tension, even (or maybe especially) if it's a subtle kind of tension rather than a barrage of jump-scares. If The Walking Dead were a movie(s), I'd watch it, think it was good enough for what it was, and basically forget about it in a few hours, but as a television series, as a journey of that form, it's fresh, it's not like anything else on TV right now. And I hope we don't find out the cause, I like a little ambiguity - not just for the sake of it, but that seems like it'd be needless backstory. Maybe that's wrong, maybe that'll be a big reveal of real importance down the line, but I doubt it.

That was a little more rambling than it was in my head.

Old December 1st, 2010, 3:54 am

Quote:
I can't say I'm watching for the characters either - or, at least, I don't find any of them too compelling on their own.
They aren't really compelling on their own, are they? Now that you point that out, I see the truth of it. I guess I'm most compelled by how the characters handle being in such an extreme situation. Apocolyptic stories grip me. I always think about what I would possibly do in a similar situation (mostly I conclude I'd die right away ).
Quote:
I love the tone of it, the constant tension, even (or maybe especially) if it's a subtle kind of tension rather than a barrage of jump-scares.
Yes, I love that, too. They are very patient with their storytelling. How long did they spend on that one woman sitting vigil over her sister? But I never once looked at the clock or felt at all bored in any way. I almost always feel surprised when the show ends because I've been so engrossed in it.

Old December 1st, 2010, 4:50 am
First Year

I'm in love with this show! I'm not usually a huge fan of gore and senseless horror flicks, but this show, it seems almost the opposite...I'm not sure how to describe it, but there's a sentimental quality that's hard to find with zombie shows. Season finale Sunday at 10! I've heard the second season will have more episodes, so that's something to look forward to!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television