Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Downton Abbey - contains spoilers for season 4

Old March 29th, 2012, 6:44 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: Downton Abbey

I had nothing to do the other night so I hunted down season 1 of Downton Abbey. I meant to watch one episode and 3 hours later it was 1am - thank you Netflix! I am totally hooked. Just finished the first season, and am now trying to find Season 2 online.

I don't want to read the entire thread until after I'm caught up. It's amazing how much story they pack in to each episode and how little happens but so much happens at the same time. I'm quite impressed overall.

Old March 29th, 2012, 8:13 pm
Registered Animagus

It is a great show. I am glad you found it. I hope we get more.

Old March 30th, 2012, 10:25 am
MODLY CREW

We're definitely going to get more - it's a very lucrative cash cow in period clothing. I hope that series three will be more like series one - less melodrama, ridiculous plots and focus on tertiary characters no one cares about and more clever dialogue and period goodness.

Old April 6th, 2012, 12:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
We're definitely going to get more - it's a very lucrative cash cow in period clothing. I hope that series three will be more like series one - less melodrama, ridiculous plots and focus on tertiary characters no one cares about and more clever dialogue and period goodness.
My hubby watched an episode with me and declared it a Soap Opera. I was like noooooo. But I think he's right!

I'm midway through season 2 and I came to the prediction that
Spoiler: show
Thomas ends up being Valet for Mary/Sir Richard after his black market business went down the tubes. He and Sir Richard seem to be of similar character.

I wonder how much time they will bring us through. I think it's quite interesting that 2 years have passed in about 5 episodes.

Old April 6th, 2012, 1:03 am
Hogwarts Graduate

We went to the James J Hill house today, and the kitchens in the basement reminded me so much of Downton!

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old April 6th, 2012, 6:50 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

It totally is soap opera, but there's nothing wrong with that! It's very well done, with beautiful people most of whom are fantastic actors.

Old April 7th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
It totally is soap opera, but there's nothing wrong with that! It's very well done, with beautiful people most of whom are fantastic actors.
This is so true.

I finally finished season 2 and learned that I was a bit off on my prediction. But Thomas did get the job he wanted, just not in the place that I thought!

There were several moments in season 2 that I thought unnecessary until it all came together in the end. Like Lord Grantham's little escapade - but it helped him understand/forgive Mary.

When does season 3 air? Now I'm totally hooked.

Old April 7th, 2012, 9:30 pm
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post

I finally finished season 2 and learned that I was a bit off on my prediction. But Thomas did get the job he wanted, just not in the place that I thought!

There were several moments in season 2 that I thought unnecessary until it all came together in the end. Like Lord Grantham's little escapade - but it helped him understand/forgive Mary.
I didn't want to say anything when I saw your earlier post, but that was my prediction, too, when I first watched season 2!

I hated Lord Granthams little escapade, but when you put it that way, I guess I can begrudgingly get over it. It does make sense. I just thought it was totally out of character.

Can't wait for season three!

Old April 8th, 2012, 1:29 am
First Year

I absolutely love Downton!

Old April 8th, 2012, 1:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I didn't want to say anything when I saw your earlier post, but that was my prediction, too, when I first watched season 2!
Great minds think alike!

Quote:
I just thought it was totally out of character.
It was totally out of character. And sudden and uncalled for. But how else to get him to come around to where it all ended up at the end of the season.

I'm excited for season 3 also!

Old September 14th, 2012, 9:50 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

So on Sunday season 3 starts.

The producers have given us a few hints as to what will happen.

Who will get married?
Who will die?
A baby will be born. Who are the parents?

What did you think of the trailer?

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 14th, 2012, 1:25 pm
Inconceivable!

They aren't going to air the show here until January 3rd.

It looks like Sybil and her husband are going to be back this season. I bet it is their child.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old September 14th, 2012, 3:15 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
I don't want to read the entire thread until after I'm caught up. It's amazing how much story they pack in to each episode and how little happens but so much happens at the same time. I'm quite impressed overall.
That's one thing I think American shows suffer because of; they try and pack 8-13 episodes worth of story in a 22-24 episode season so you get shows that don't relate to the mythology archs, the main characters, the important story lines, etc. US shows would benefit so much from going to a shorter season and then they would have a larger budget to throw at each show (Breaking Bad, for instance; fabulous show, hugely dramatic, so much story packed into each episode and it's only got about 10 episodes a season). But, alas, network execs must make their money and having 24 new episodes a season gets more people watching their networks...

Quote:
My hubby watched an episode with me and declared it a Soap Opera. I was like noooooo. But I think he's right!
They played that card very slyly; get you hooked with pure drama and character in the first season and then by the time you realize you're watching a soap opera it's too late! They've hooked you and you can't get enough!

Quote:
I wonder how much time they will bring us through. I think it's quite interesting that 2 years have passed in about 5 episodes.
I know! Time simply flies by on this show! Season 3 starts soon and it'll be the swingin' '20s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
It looks like Sybil and her husband are going to be back this season. I bet it is their child.
Good, good, good!! I didn't like that Sybil was missing from the Christmas episode, even if she and her hubby were off in Ireland.

BTW, just watched the Christmas episode for the first time about a month ago; didn't know about it until then! SO GOOD!!

Old September 16th, 2012, 10:24 pm
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

The 3rd series just premiered in the UK, and I can't see it because I'm in the US

When one doesn't want spoilers they are everywhere, when one does, one can't find them.

*pulls self together*

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:51 pm
Registered Animagus

I hope i find it online before the night is out. I love this show.

Old September 17th, 2012, 2:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
That's one thing I think American shows suffer because of; they try and pack 8-13 episodes worth of story in a 22-24 episode season so you get shows that don't relate to the mythology archs, the main characters, the important story lines, etc. US shows would benefit so much from going to a shorter season and then they would have a larger budget to throw at each show (Breaking Bad, for instance; fabulous show, hugely dramatic, so much story packed into each episode and it's only got about 10 episodes a season). But, alas, network execs must make their money and having 24 new episodes a season gets more people watching their networks...
I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why there isn't 2 television seasons in the US. Think of how much more they'd make from advertising if there was a short but concise season where viewership was packed into a shorter time frame. It would be like an extended sweeps week.

Old September 17th, 2012, 3:44 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why there isn't 2 television seasons in the US. Think of how much more they'd make from advertising if there was a short but concise season where viewership was packed into a shorter time frame. It would be like an extended sweeps week.
There are two television seasons: one is summer and the other is... the rest of the year. Honestly, though, part of the reason I think it is is because networks are afraid of losing viewership; if they have a loved, high-rated show (Big Bang Theory, Glee, etc.) that means that in the current format they can hold that viewership for about 9 months of the year whereas if the seasons were only four months long they could potentially lose that viewership for a great portion of the year to another network. As it is many viewers are abandoning network shows for quality cable shows with shorter seasons. Personally, I think it's time for a change; get on the shorter seasons and make great shows rather than churn out just okay ones for 9 months.

Just watched the season premier of Downton - so good...

Matthew and Mary... ug, again? That's just they way they are as a couple though, and they way they made up from their fight was adorable so I'll take it. And keep coming back for more.

Branson at Downton? Teehee!! Really liked how he and Matthew bonded, I hope he and Sybil stay at Downton through the season, or at least make many appearances and don't just disappear back to Ireland.

Thomas and... ug!! What's her name Evil-Lady's-Maid had a little spat! I like that something has finally happened to break up their conniving friendship, it would get boring if they were on the wrong side of everything and always teaming up against everyone else but I didn't see it turning out that they'd be turning on each other.

The inheritance? Hmm... I take it that this will be the driving problem for the season since we can no longer threaten Matthew and Mary calling the wedding off.

I hope Shirley McLane get some more/better storylines; I was a little disappointed in how big a role she played in this episode. I guess I expected more of a situation where she would come in and the Dowager Countess and Mrs. Crawley would have to take up arms against her like how the Countess and Lady Grantham sort of took up arms against Mrs. Crawley in the first season a little bit. I hope she turns out to be just as spunky and spiny-tongued as the Countess! I am holding out hope that this episode was only serving to introduce her character and that she'll only get better as the season progresses.

Old September 18th, 2012, 2:25 am
Registered Animagus

What a great episode. This show is awesome. Mary and Matthew again. I love their storyline.

I loved the line at the end at their wedding. The two of them snarking at each other. And there make up was awesome.

I also hope that Edith is actually able to get with that one guy.

I still don't like Branson much, but he had some redeeming qualities in this ep. Helping Mary and Matthew make up. Very nice.

Yeah i would also imagine the money issue is going to be a long game thing. I wonder if they will lose downton. I don't get how the show continues after that. The house is a character all in itself.

Old September 18th, 2012, 5:30 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
Yeah i would also imagine the money issue is going to be a long game thing. I wonder if they will lose downton. I don't get how the show continues after that. The house is a character all in itself.
If they lose the house the show is over: the show is called Downton Abbey.

Old September 18th, 2012, 5:56 am
Registered Animagus

True.

But i could see them losing the house for a time for whatever reason. Hopefully Matthew will just come around or something will happen that will fix it otherwise. Another bit of money from Cora's family or something.

In some ways i hope that Matthew sticks to his guns, but another part of me agrees with Mary. I mean to lose their how future and for Mary the loss is huge, for her and her family, even though i am not sure if Matthew really understands it. We will see.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television