Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Things that bothered you about the final film

Old July 16th, 2011, 3:38 pm
First Year

Need to vent on the ending of the deathly hallows part 2

I am so disappointed in the ending. In thought the whole point of making 2 movies was to make it accurate to the books. The best part of the book was the ending with Harry explaining everything to voldemort. Why he cannot beat Harry. Not to mention the fact that the two dueling stopped everyone else from dueling and were watching it unfold. Ten years in the making and this is the ending for the movie. Not one mention of the hallows in the end. I can't believe jk would allow this. I could not have been more disappointed. I knew the movie would be a bit different but to mess up the ending is ridiculous. I actually thought they did a good job until then. Also can't believe they changed the part where Neville kills nagini. Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2011, 6:26 pm
First Year

Things that bothered you about the final film

Part 2 may have been the best Potter movie yet, but there were still a couple things the movie did differently that could've been better.

For instance, not explaining Aberforth's back story or the shard. It almost just seemed like a waste even including him if he was just used for the trio to find Neville and get into Hogwarts.

Not mentioning Tonks was pregnant: what was the point of Moody interrupting her in the first movie? How did Harry even know they had a baby? Did the baby even need to be mentioned?

Hermione and Ron trying to kill Nagini just seemed like a waste of time to me. It didn't really seem all that intense or entertaining (especially compared to the scene in Godric's Hollow), and Neville just simply killed the snake from behind.

Lastly, Voldemort's death. How he died in the film just didn't seem clear to me, I didn't even notice he was hit until after he turned into flakes (maybe I'll have to watch it again). I didn't mind the way Voldemort turned into a million pieces, but it seemed kinda unoriginal considering Bellatrix just did the same a minute or two ago by Molly.

Any others?

Old July 16th, 2011, 7:41 pm
First Year

Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Only two small things I can think of:

Harry killing Voldemort while the two of them were on their knees.

When Snape walks over James' body in TPT he sees Lily laying in the doorway at the end of the hall, but then he enters the bedroom and she's laying by the cot.

Old July 16th, 2011, 7:55 pm
First Year

The number one far and away thing that bothered me the most was no reaction/witnesses to Voldemort's death. The entire 8 movies built up to that point and it had no reaction. It doesn't make any sense.

I really liked the movie but IMO that thing is holding it back a lot.

I also wish they would have shown Fred's death.

Old July 16th, 2011, 7:57 pm
Second Year

It bothered me that Harry told Hermione and Ron that he was going into the forest. However, what bothered me the most was that he and Ron didn't even hug good-bye. This is the last time Ron (in their eyes anyway) is going to see Harry, and all he can do is stand back. Same thing that bothered me in the sixth movie too.

I also didn't like how the Slytherin's were sent down to the dungeons rather than being evacuated. They didn't even talk about getting the younger kids out.

I know a lot of people didn't like the battle between Harry and Voldemort, but I did. I wish they would have had more of a duel in the books, so that kind of satisfied me. I just wish Harry still could have taunted Voldemort more, and I didn't like how they didn't have the school watching. And then afterwards, everyone just sat there. I would have like to have seen the scene where everyone runs over and hugs Harry.

I also wish they would have kept the part where Neville killed the snake in front of Voldemort instead of later when Hermione and Ron couldn't. Neville didn't really get his moment to shine in this movie like he should have. I liked seeing his character grow, and so it was a shame that he only got a small part.

I didn't like the part where Harry broke the elder wand. It should have went back into the grave with Dumbledore like in the books. And I wanted to see him fix his old wand with it.

Other than that though, I think I loved most of it. I am watching all seven movies again at home and then I am going to go watch the movie again at the theaters. It will be neat to see all of it all together.

They left a lot of loose ends though, I went to the movies with a friend who only watched the movies and she doesn't understand a lot of it. I had to answer a lot of her questions.

Join HOL Virtual Hogwarts. Longest running Virtual Hogwarts
July 22/09- Student sign ups are now open!
Old July 16th, 2011, 8:03 pm
Third Year

I wish Teddy Lupin had made it into the film, apart from Harry & Lupin mentioning the baby in the forrest scene.

I was hoping that maybe they would just make it seem that Harry had been gone for at least 9 months and that perhaps Lupin would show up at the battle (or before the battle rather, like briefly in the Room of Requirements, and say something like, "Tonks and I had a baby. So, you'll be godfather."

Then I would have liked to have seen Teddy Lupin in the epilogue, with Harry's family taking the kids to the Hogwarts Express so that we could see Harry was a dedicated godfather as well as a father.

But I still loved the film regardless. Most of the "problems" I have with it are stuff that I didn't think of until quite some time after I had seen the film. None of it bothered me while I was watching, or immediately after watching.

Old July 16th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Sixth Year

Just a few minor gripes

1- I wish they had made it clear Harry was master of all the hallows. A few people kept wondering how he survived and did not pick up on the fact the cloak was a hallow. It also would have been nice for harry to tell voldemort that he was the true master of the elder wand before it flew into his hand.

2- I really wanted to see more of the actual battle. The buildup was great, but I wanted more dueling.

3- as many have said, I think it shortchanged Ron to have him just stare at Harry before he was going to walk into the forest. They should have kept it like the book.

4- I think they should have shown Fred's death. It was so heartbreaking in the book

Overall, I still liked the movie and it included most of the highlights of the book. It just felt rushed at time. I would have preferred less scene splicing and some calmer moments here and there.

Old July 16th, 2011, 8:11 pm
Curse Breaker

They should have swapped Tonks & Lupin for Bill & Fleur at Shell Cottage at the outset. That would have made them a bit more "memorable" and their deaths a bit more meaningful: they would have been the people who'd sheltered Harry at the beginning of the film. Also, we could have seen Lupin's son, and Lupin's (& Harry's) reaction to parenthood.

Other than that, they needed a little more Snape early: something else to make us wonder what he really was doing other than the Goblin's little line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post
3- as many have said, I think it shortchanged Ron to have him just stare at Harry before he was going to walk into the forest. They should have kept it like the book.
But then it wouldn't have been like the book: we never would have gotten the all-important lines about Harry feeling like he'd always known that he was a Horcrux and that it was going to have to end like that. Well, not unless they'd done the dreaded voice-over narration or had Harry go Shakespeare on us and give us a soliloquy! Really, Ron & Hermione are the only people to whom Harry could deliver those lines.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; July 16th, 2011 at 8:14 pm.
Old July 16th, 2011, 8:19 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
They should have swapped Tonks & Lupin for Bill & Fleur at Shell Cottage at the outset. That would have made them a bit more "memorable" and their deaths a bit more meaningful: they would have been the people who'd sheltered Harry at the beginning of the film. Also, we could have seen Lupin's son, and Lupin's (& Harry's) reaction to parenthood.

Other than that, they needed a little more Snape early: something else to make us wonder what he really was doing other than the Goblin's little line.

But then it wouldn't have been like the book: we never would have gotten the all-important lines about Harry feeling like he'd always known that he was a Horcrux and that it was going to have to end like that. Well, not unless they'd done the dreaded voice-over narration or had Harry go Shakespeare on us and give us a soliloquy! Really, Ron & Hermione are the only people to whom Harry could deliver those lines.
Oh, I see your point. This was a way for the filmmakers to make it clear to the audience what Harry realized internally in the book-that he was a horcrux and had to die. You should mention that in the discussion thread since everyone was complaining about that.

Old July 16th, 2011, 8:25 pm
First Year

Lavender brown being ate -.- Was that really nessessary?

CoS House: Pottermore House:
Old July 16th, 2011, 8:37 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by James26 View Post
Wasn't this in the book, though? I don't have it next to me but I'm positive JKR wrote something about Greyback hunched over her 'feebly stirring body'.

I really didn't like Harry telling Ron and Hermione about his plans to die, although after reading this thread, I can understand more why they did that.

I'm not sure how I feel about them giving Neville all those feelings for Luna. I think they're adorable together, especially Evanna and Matt in real life, but they are two major characters, so to put them together when that didn't really happen in the books seems a little surprising.

Old July 16th, 2011, 8:44 pm
First Year

I prefer Part 2 over the 1st one to be honest, even though there are several things that bothered me much. I liked the battle between Harry and Voldemort, I found it more satisfying than the book where the two of them run in circle and talk...So i think the scene in this movie is way more plausible. I didn't like at all the fact nobody cheers Harry after he gets back to the castle. He walks through the crowd and no one pays attention to him like nothing had happened. That bugged me A LOT, it didn't make any sense to me and I don't understand why they made such a decision...I feel they kind of messed up the ending, don't they? What about Ron standing back after Harry told them he was going to the forest? :S like he didn't care a damn!

I also didn't like the poor attention to details...like Lily's eyes for example. All characters in the books didn't do anything but repeat Harry's got his mother's green eyes, so why on earth do you choose a black-eyed actor to play little Lily? Is it so hard to let her use coloured contact lenses? Not to mention James' blonde hair. It was simply awkward. Details like these are important and I don't see why they don't have to be respected.

Apart from that, I generally appreciated the whole movie, it was engrossing and everybody made a good job.

Old July 16th, 2011, 8:46 pm
First Year

1. They didn't even explained why Harry is alive again. They didn't explain the whole "Voldemort-has-your-blood-so-you-cant-die" thing.

2. Nagini is dead, so Voldemort is dead? Really?! Oh C'mon.

3. The Elder wand cant harm Harry, so how the hell Harry And voldemort did the "AK/Expeliarmus" tons of time? It's not even Canon.

4. Voldemort was supposed to die because the elder wand was supposed to rebound the AK on him. In the film, Nagini is dead, and than we see that Harry's Explairmus is stornger than Voldemort's AK. What the hell was that?

5. I didnt get the part when the elder wand was cracked. What happened? lol...

Old July 16th, 2011, 9:04 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolanBerlin View Post

5. I didnt get the part when the elder wand was cracked. What happened? lol...
Lol. At the part when Ron looks at Harry with an odd expression on his face after Harry cracks the wand, a friend of mine said "The ginger's actually thinking he's a moron!" Lol well, he is!

Old July 16th, 2011, 9:09 pm
First Year

Not too many 1-on-1 duels.

Old July 16th, 2011, 9:15 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by James26 View Post
Ehhh i dunno. I have some mixed feelings about that and i was all "Nooo! Poor Lavender!" But i actually thought the bit where Trelawney comforting Parvati was really nice to add. I wish we could have seen Trelawney take Greyback out with her crystal balls though.

I dont have a lot of beefs with this film. Some things that bug me but its just the purist in me:

Fred not dying in front of Harry. His death was pretty anticlimactic and that bothered me. That is perhaps the only major beef i have.

Percy appearing out of nowhere. I was all "Oh hai Percy! Nice of you to show up but..where did you come from?!" The kid sitting in front of me gave me a look like "lol..."

No Ravenclaw common room. How i was looking forward to seeing that. Oh well.

No confrontation with the Carrows. Sure it would have been MESSED UP for many non-readers to see Harry use the Cruciatus curse but still. The Carrows had like, no lines.

No Teen Lily and Severus. Again, this really didnt bother me like it should have because the entirety of that part was so well done. But it would have cleared some things up for non-readers.

Harry not delivering the "Reason You Suck Speech" to Voldy. He did give some of it but not all of it.

Dumbledore/Aberforth backstory being all but omitted. Again, no real beef. It would have slowed things down a bit if it were added but it would have been cool to see.

Also why no resolve with Pettigrew?

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old July 16th, 2011, 9:42 pm
First Year

a couple of things:

1. the beginning was to rushed. they should of shown lupin appearing at shell cottage and saying there is a baby, should of shown more of gringotts, and stuff like that

2. when they apparated in hogsmeade, there were no dementors. i mean wth? i was really looking forward to harry casting his patronus and the death eaters thinking harry was there, and aberforth confronting the death eaters saying that he set off the charm and telling them his patronus was a goat. and no invisibility cloak. i wanted to se that DE try to summon his cloak

3. mcgonnagal was supposed to send pursuing daggers at snape, and he was supposed to be blocking them with armour.

4. no ravenclaw common room.

5. no luna stunning a carrow or harry casting crucio on a death eater who spit in mcgonnagals face. i know there was no RCR, but they could of changed the location like they did for snapes death

6. i wanted to see percy, fred, and the trio dueling death eaters, turning one of them into a sea urchin, and seeing freds death onscreen.

7. the princes tale was kinda rushed. they didn't show lily jumping off the swing in acrobat form, didn't show all the memories, and the memories were a lot shorter than i expected. and i didn't like how the film put music in the tale

8. not enough battle scenes.

9. in the great hall, there were supposed to be lots of dueling scenes. 3 people (forgot their names) dueling bellatrix, hagrid throwing macnair, and other stuff.

10. after voldemort died, everyone was just sitting there like nothing happened

Old July 16th, 2011, 9:51 pm
Third Year

I think they missed a perfectly wonderful oppurtunity to have everyone cheering Harry's defeat of Voldemort. Do you know how emotional that could have been? I thought, even if there was going to be no one standing around them dueling, after Voldemort had died, everyone could have come running out to Harry and they could have hugged him and celebrated together and laughed, all the while having this triumph music playing clear over this. That might have even got some people to cry.

I don't want to say anything against the Prince's Tale besides I don't like how they did like 3 memories from when they were kids then all of a sudden it's adult Snape and Dumbledore.

Also, I will never forgive the moviemakers for adding that Draco/Voldemort hug. Ever.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old July 16th, 2011, 9:55 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Brilliant point. I hadn't thought of this. You're right. There would have been no other way to really drive home the point unless Harry started talking to himself, lol.

Unless...maybe Neville could have been a candidate. They could have included Harry telling Neville to kill the snake, and Neville could have asked Harry where he was going, and Harry could have said, "To the forrest."
I think Neville could have been accepting of it, without trying to stop Harry, especially considering the speech Neville later gives.

Just trying to think of another possibility, lol.

About Neville/Luna...
Geez, I hadn't even caught that. I do need to see it again, lol. I also didn't hear what Neville said to Harry about finding Luna. If anything, I thought they had just bonded as friends, being two of the main ones that kept the DA going...(was there any mentioning of the DA in the movie, though?). Hmm.

Old July 16th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
3. mcgonnagal was supposed to send pursuing daggers at snape, and he was supposed to be blocking them with armour.
Ehhhh. That part took place at a different location in the film. In the book, that bit was in one of the corridors. In the film, it was the Great Hall. Having armor pop out of nowhere would have been silly.

Quote:
Also, I will never forgive the moviemakers for adding that Draco/Voldemort hug. Ever.
lol why? I thought it was pretty awesome in a very disturbing way. Draco's reaction was utter revulsion. It drives a point home: Draco isnt loyal to Voldy, hes loyal to his family. Also showing Voldy's total sanity slippage.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies