Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Things that bothered you about the final film

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:45 pm
Third Year

Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
It's infuriating to me that Harry defeating Voldemort once and for all was more or less ignored by everyone else in the battle. I mean, Harry prevents Malfoy from destroying Neville's Remembrall in first year and everyone whoops, hollers and swarms him. He defeats, once and for all, the most powerful dark wizard of all time, and they incline their heads in his general direction. No one even tries to get a look.

It was incredibly anticlimactic, I feel.

I guess I never realized that the way that scene happened in the Great Hall in the books wasn't suspenseful and exciting, and was in such dire need of remodelling.
Fully Agree. In the books, I believe everyone crowds Harry and even later on he feel suffocated before using the cloak to meet Ron and Hermione. That never materializes

I could be here all day about the things that bothered me in the last film but I suspect I have already done than in some other threads.

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2013, 1:25 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
It's infuriating to me that Harry defeating Voldemort once and for all was more or less ignored by everyone else in the battle. I mean, Harry prevents Malfoy from destroying Neville's Remembrall in first year and everyone whoops, hollers and swarms him. He defeats, once and for all, the most powerful dark wizard of all time, and they incline their heads in his general direction. No one even tries to get a look.

It was incredibly anticlimactic, I feel.

I guess I never realized that the way that scene happened in the Great Hall in the books wasn't suspenseful and exciting, and was in such dire need of remodelling.
I think they tried to imply the jubilation occurred previously. If you watch carefully, at the end of LV's dissolution there is a slight advancement in time as the pieces disappear (vs. completely floating away.) So the scene in the great hall is not immediately after Harry defeats LV, but after the general jubilation has died down.

That said, I too found it emotionally disappointing. I would have preferred it following the books more closely, talking heads and all. The idiotic flying around smooshing each others heads made no sense to me.

But I did find that I liked the Sacking of Severus Snape better in the film than in the book. I liked that Harry was able to confront Snape about his killing DD. And I enjoyed seeing Snape take out the Carrows before he left Hogwarts.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old March 13th, 2013, 2:29 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
I think they tried to imply the jubilation occurred previously. If you watch carefully, at the end of LV's dissolution there is a slight advancement in time as the pieces disappear (vs. completely floating away.) So the scene in the great hall is not immediately after Harry defeats LV, but after the general jubilation has died down.
I guess i saw it differently. In the book, Harry confronts Voldy in front of everyone, and the celebration occurred because they saw his death actually happen. They were keyed up. In the movie, since they didn't see it for themselves and were only told about it, the happy feelings were muted, out of respect for people who had lost loved ones and the bodies of the dead loved ones laying in the next room.

Quote:
That said, I too found it emotionally disappointing. I would have preferred it following the books more closely, talking heads and all. The idiotic flying around smooshing each others heads made no sense to me.
I agree. I think that, along with the deaths of Voldy, Bella, and Nagini were the CGI people wanting to show off, and disrespectful to the story. I wanted bodies. I also think they thought people wanted to see a huge duel between Harry and Voldy, but personally I preferred the book much better.

Quote:
But I did find that I liked the Sacking of Severus Snape better in the film than in the book. I liked that Harry was able to confront Snape about his killing DD. And I enjoyed seeing Snape take out the Carrows before he left Hogwarts.
Definitely. And how he didn't want to kill McGonagall, and how stunned she appeared when he didn't fight her back and only used defensive spells. .

I enjoyed the movie, up to and including the scene where Harry fell out of Hagrid's arms and fired that shot at Nagini. I liked the ending, even though Ron and Hermione looked liked grandparents and Ginny looked like a 1950's homemaker. But I didn't like any of the part in between. I even thought Molly vs. Bella felt rushed.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old March 13th, 2013, 4:41 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I guess i saw it differently. In the book, Harry confronts Voldy in front of everyone, and the celebration occurred because they saw his death actually happen. They were keyed up. In the movie, since they didn't see it for themselves and were only told about it, the happy feelings were muted, out of respect for people who had lost loved ones and the bodies of the dead loved ones laying in the next room.
Oh I agree - there should have been people watching. And I definitely wanted the explanations in "The Flaw in the Plan".

Quote:
I agree. I think that, along with the deaths of Voldy, Bella, and Nagini were the CGI people wanting to show off, and disrespectful to the story. I wanted bodies. I also think they thought people wanted to see a huge duel between Harry and Voldy, but personally I preferred the book much better.
Yep. Just because they can doesn't mean they ought to have.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old March 14th, 2013, 4:25 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Agreeing with the previous two posts, I think the duel between Harry and LV in the Great Hall should have been used instead of all the special effects and flying around. The way Harry demoralized Voldy as he taunted him, IMO, was much better than the re-write by the film makers. I would have loved to have seen his face when old Voldy found out he'd been "had" all those years by Dumbledore's deep-cover spy, Severus.

It would have also been a chance for Harry to explain about the Elder Wand's loyalty belonging to him just before LV tried to AK him and had it backfire. I'm not sure that was really clear in the movie for those who never read the books. The book ending was just much better. Can't figure why those guys felt they had to fiddle with perfection.

A couple of other things that really got to me were:

Why was Luna at Hogwarts when the trio got there when she was suppose to be in hiding?

Why was there a blizzard in Hogsmead and, a short distance away at Hogwarts there wasn't even a flurry? It was early may, and I doubt even the area where Hogsmeade is does not have blizzards in May.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.

Last edited by MinervasCat; March 14th, 2013 at 4:32 am.
Old March 15th, 2013, 9:11 am
Second Year

It bothered me about Luna until I saw the deleted scenes where she says goodbye to Harry near Dobby's grave.
I've just watched the film again and saw a lot that I missed or forgotten since it was released but having read the book made it easier to follow. At least Neville had his moment with the sword but I liked the book scene better.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies