Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Narcissa Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old July 26th, 2008, 4:55 am
Always Indy's Girl

Re: Narcissa Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
And yet, it is still quite odd that Voldemort asks Narcissa to check on Harry. I mean of all people. She is not even a Death Eater and he knows that she and her family are no longer the trusted group they had been in the past. Of course he goes on to check things out, but it is very odd that he'd ask her in the first place I think.
I so agree with this. This has also puzzled me so much. I think it was because of things like this that I think Voldy was not the Dark Lord he was made to be in the first 6 books.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2008, 5:40 am
Third Year

Quote:
And yet, it is still quite odd that Voldemort asks Narcissa to check on Harry. I mean of all people. She is not even a Death Eater and he knows that she and her family are no longer the trusted group they had been in the past. Of course he goes on to check things out, but it is very odd that he'd ask her in the first place I think.
I think that he would have sent Pettigrew to check if he was still alive. The Malfoys are the new Pettigrew. They get the scut work that doesn't require magic. They also get to do the tasks that are potentially dangerous. Pettigrew is told to go check on Harry/Ron when Lucius is worried that something is going on downstairs. I don't think it's because they don't trust Draco (they'd just sent him to get Griphook). I think Pettigrew is sent because Lucius feels that he's expendable.

I think that Voldemort considers Narcissa expendable. If Harry isn't dead, then Harry might try to attack the person who is sent to check on him. Narcissa doesn't even have a wand anymore. She's defenseless. Voldie doesn't care. He does the same sort of thing the others used to do to Pettigrew to make him do things:

DH The Flaw in the Plan
"You," said Voldemort, and there was a bang and a small shriek of pain. "Examine him. Tell me whether he is dead."

He doesn't even call her by name. She is a servant just as Pettigrew is. Here is a passage involving him

HBP, Spinners End
There was a loud bang and a squeal, followed by the sound of Wormtail scurrying back up the stairs.

Voldemort checks himself if Harry is dead once he is re-assured that he is dead and won't suddenly be working some of his Boy-Who-Lived Mojo on him. I'm sure by this time in the series, Voldemort is actually starting to get a little freaked out by Harry's ability to keep surviving. Voldemort's Boggart probably looks like Harry (okay, probably not, but I think Voldie's a little spooked).

Old July 30th, 2008, 4:17 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I agree that Voldemort sees Narcissa as a servant, someone he can push around as though they were a house elf. The fact he causes her pain to make her do it (he didn't even offer her the chance to say yes) shows his disdain of her - I don't think he'd have done that to a DE. And I think he wanted to show his followers that checking on Harry Potter was the most menial of tasks, and not worth using a good wizard on. He did like to keep putting Harry down. Typical that Voldy's failure to understand love meant he sent the one person to check on Harry who was likely to lie, or at least had another agenda.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old July 30th, 2008, 1:40 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingardium713 View Post
I think that he would have sent Pettigrew to check if he was still alive. The Malfoys are the new Pettigrew. They get the scut work that doesn't require magic. They also get to do the tasks that are potentially dangerous. Pettigrew is told to go check on Harry/Ron when Lucius is worried that something is going on downstairs. I don't think it's because they don't trust Draco (they'd just sent him to get Griphook). I think Pettigrew is sent because Lucius feels that he's expendable.

I think that Voldemort considers Narcissa expendable. If Harry isn't dead, then Harry might try to attack the person who is sent to check on him. Narcissa doesn't even have a wand anymore. She's defenseless. Voldie doesn't care. He does the same sort of thing the others used to do to Pettigrew to make him do things:

DH The Flaw in the Plan
"You," said Voldemort, and there was a bang and a small shriek of pain. "Examine him. Tell me whether he is dead."

He doesn't even call her by name. She is a servant just as Pettigrew is. Here is a passage involving him

HBP, Spinners End
There was a loud bang and a squeal, followed by the sound of Wormtail scurrying back up the stairs.

Voldemort checks himself if Harry is dead once he is re-assured that he is dead and won't suddenly be working some of his Boy-Who-Lived Mojo on him. I'm sure by this time in the series, Voldemort is actually starting to get a little freaked out by Harry's ability to keep surviving. Voldemort's Boggart probably looks like Harry (okay, probably not, but I think Voldie's a little spooked).
Narcissa and Pettigrew have completely different personalities. He's a coward who seeks his own safety from someone who has power and can protect him. Narcissa's brave, intelligent and manipulative. He hasn't got an ounce of guts, while Narcissa has a lot of it; solidified when she makes the grand stand against Voldemort.

Pettigrew did nothing when he was terrorized by Voldemort. Narcissa did. And look at what happened to Voldemort because of it.

~ A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~
Old September 16th, 2008, 6:31 pm
First Year

I love Narcissa as a character: she is as subtle as Snape: a mixture of good and bad.

Bad:
-She comes from the Black family and chose to believe in the same things as majority: pure blood supremacy versus mudbloods (her coolness and disdain at Hermione in Mrs. Malkin's shop).
-She therefore didn't care about Sirius, Andromeda or Tonks and wouldn't react about their deaths.
-She was probably snobbish and proud about her husband's connections (her wrinkled nose at the quiddich world-cup, and what she says when she leaves Malkin's shop for another one)
-She is not even really attached to her sister Bella, and can hurt her ("let go Bella"! when she wants to see Snape in HBP: she uses her wand as a knife and makes Bella scream a little)
-She seems very cold/cool overall and dominant in the scene where she meets the trio at Malkin's shop.
-She probably was with her hubby playing with muggles at the world cup, as Draco was alone in the woods.

Good:
-She wants to keep her son close and therefore sends him at Hogwarts (confronting Lucius who would have sent him to the other school) over Durmstrang, and keeps sending him treats and offering him the best clothes, the nicest owl, etc
-She comes to the world cup with her son and husband, and whether it is for show or else, I think it is a family moment, the Malfoys bonding to see the games together.
-She is never seen joining in any attack, at the ministry or else. She keeps in the background, happy to let her husband make decisions, unless it interferes with important things for her (keeping a good aristocratic image, keeping her son to her as much as she can)
-She is not hating Sirius or Tonks or Andromeda, it seems, like Bella. She is more indifferent to their fate, when Bella is pursuing them to kill them.
-She doesn't seem aware of some things Lucuis did, like the diary in Hogwarts. As someone said before, I don't think she would have allowed it, because her son was in the school, and she probably was a bit angry with Lucius too, about him losing Dobby as an house-elf, and angry at Harry of course, for thwarting Lucius' plans.
-She is courageous for the ones she loves: the husband she chose and the kid they got together. And herself of course as her name is Narcissa: she must love herself too:she doesn't take humiliation easily, wheter it comes from harry or from V. But for Draco and Lucius, she goes in the battle without a wand, she lies, she accepts humiliation without a word.

After reading the end of HBP and DH, I think also the following:
-She wasn't probably happy that Bella taught occlumency to Draco. BTW I don't think Bella would be good at that, unhinged as she is and always letting her strong feelings appear, whereas Narcissa can keep cool and can blatantly lie to V.
-She was scared for Draco and therefore must have had no choice at all about him becoming DE.
-I liked the fact that she seems to care about Lucius as much as she does about Draco. It makes me wonder: I think Harry is indifferent to her as much as Sirius, Tonks or Andromeda, or even Bella at the beginning. She might just side with Draco's dislike because of what Draco says, his jaleousy and all. But after OOTP, she might hold a real grudge to Harry for being the one making her husband fail and sending him indirectly to prison. So now she sides against Harry for her ideas about pure-bloods, Draco's sake, and Lucius' fate. But at the same time, she probably begins to fear, and therefore hate V, for also being the cause of Lucius' imprisonment and for enrolling Draco and putting him in danger.
I think, as someone suggested earlier, that when this fear gained in growth, along with her humiliation in her own house (and a Black, as Sirius would say, were almost royal in the good opinion they had of themselves), she had already taken side against V.
In DH, she is just patient, with a deadpan look, waiting for the right opportunity as a true Slytherin: or wait until the storm is over, or take action against V.
She takes action by "omission", telling a lie, saying that Harry is dead. She sides when she knows she has nothing to loose. Had Harry told her that Draco had died, I am still not sure of her reaction, but I assume she would still have saved Harry to get revenge on V for putting him into danger and for indirectly killing him. She would have been much more desperate and maybe unhinged like Bella about loosing her only son, and at that point would have been a danger to everyone and anyone, V as much as Harry and the whole world...

I don't think she was a DE because of this ability to love or be cooly indifferent. All the other DE are enjoying being rough, killings and yellings, but none of them is indifferent or cold like her.

Old October 1st, 2008, 11:59 pm
Fifth Year

I cannot picture Narcissa to be one of the people causing havoc at the World Cup. No, she has more class than that.

Narcissa loved Bellatrix. Bellatrix is evil, but she was always considerate with her sister. And what she did to her sister was normal. She was afraid of her son dying.

As a side note, I've always noticed that Draco had a real cowardice in him. Narcissa, unlike her son, was courageous.

~ A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~
Old October 4th, 2008, 4:41 am
Lycanthrope

I dunno; I didn't really get a fix on Narcissa in as far as bravery went. I think Draco was very brave when it came to protecting his family and himself. But that is how I saw Narcissa too.

Old October 4th, 2008, 5:02 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
I cannot picture Narcissa to be one of the people causing havoc at the World Cup. No, she has more class than that.
Well, she has to be since she wasn't in the woods with Draco and he wasn't looking for and didn't seem concerned about being separated from her.

JKR said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Ravenclaw here but Gryffindor on Pottermore | Add me, I'm LightStar74.
Old October 4th, 2008, 10:30 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingardium713 View Post

DH The Flaw in the Plan

HBP, Spinners End

You know, I think the overall problem is that on the one hand, Voldemort is so intelligent and brilliant that he can come up with all of this new and fancy magic; give Dumbledore a run for his money and win over tons of people to his evil cause. Then on the other hand, when JKR gives us glimpses of him in action, he comes across as a bit of a dunce. Why trust Narcissa of all people to check and see if Harry, his greatest nemesis is dead? I understand using Peter because there was no one else around. But Narcissa when he had Bella there? It makes no sense. Also, after Harry disclosed the entire truth to Voldy in the Great Hall at the final battle, he forged on using the Elder Wand like a dunce. I just didn't get it...

So maybe that is why the deal with Narcissa doesn't make sense to me - none of his acts do upon close inspection.

Old October 4th, 2008, 10:53 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
You know, I think the overall problem is that on the one hand, Voldemort is so intelligent and brilliant that he can come up with all of this new and fancy magic; give Dumbledore a run for his money and win over tons of people to his evil cause. Then on the other hand, when JKR gives us glimpses of him in action, he comes across as a bit of a dunce. Why trust Narcissa of all people to check and see if Harry, his greatest nemesis is dead? I understand using Peter because there was no one else around. But Narcissa when he had Bella there? It makes no sense. Also, after Harry disclosed the entire truth to Voldy in the Great Hall at the final battle, he forged on using the Elder Wand like a dunce. I just didn't get it...

So maybe that is why the deal with Narcissa doesn't make sense to me - none of his acts do upon close inspection.
Yeah..everything you say makes sense, so it ought to be for the sake of the plot and also to show that Narcissa would even hoodwink the greatest occlumens probably,realising the safety of her son, and also, I think she always wanted to give Voldy a thing or two and voila! This was the perfect chance and she used it well.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old October 4th, 2008, 5:07 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
Yeah..everything you say makes sense, so it ought to be for the sake of the plot and also to show that Narcissa would even hoodwink the greatest occlumens probably,realising the safety of her son, and also, I think she always wanted to give Voldy a thing or two and voila! This was the perfect chance and she used it well.
Though I entirely agree with wickedwickedboy and I agree that you could have a good point, I still always thought it was because he had no comprehension of love and its power over others. I never really thought that it was just a plot detail that shows his common sense, or lack thereof, as the case may be. I figured that it all had to do with his callousness in tossing aside what he never felt and what he knew nothing about.

THE DUCK.

Old October 4th, 2008, 7:38 pm
Formerly Known as 82

1. Is she a Death Eater?
No I dont think she is. She never turns up where the Death Eaters do and I dont believe she was in the graveyard in GOF. I think she was something like a wife to a man who's in the KKK for example. Affiliates herself with them but isnt a full fledge member. Only the most devoted could be members right?

2. Did Narcissa know of Lucius's intent to use Voldemort's diary to re-open the CoS? Was she part of the plan or did she try to stop him?

Its hard to say, I imagine she knew that the diary was the Dark Lords and that it was important to Lucius but I cant say she knew what would happen when Lucius got it back in the school. I think she's a bit like Petunia in many ways, no fault in her own family.

3. How does she feel now that her husband has been captured, exposed, and imprisoned as a Death Eater?

Like any wife would, a mix of worried, scared and embarassed I imagine.

4. Why allow her son, who is not of age, to become a Death Eater? Was she proud at first? Was she fearful, once his task was set for him?

Do you think she held that much sway over Draco at that age? Especially since she had been so passive to him her whole life. She cant exactly put her foot down now.

5. We know that she has contact with Bellatrix, Draco even took lessons from Bella over the summer, but what relationship, if any, does she have with Andromeda & Tonks?

No, I dont think so. They are estranged family and doesnt want to shame her husband. What would they talk about after all?

6. How did Narcissa feel about Sirius Black? Did she know he wasn't a Death Eater? Did she know he was innocently sentenced to Azkaban? How did she react to his death at the hands of her sister?

Im sure she knew that he wasnt a death eater. Lucius probably told her and was delighted about his imprisionment for it. She probably to herself felt that this war was getting out of control if family was killing family. Im sure she didnt mourn him but probably felt regret.

7. Will 'Cissy' be punished for seeking help from Severus? Will we see her in the final book? What role will she play?

Book already out. I bet shes just glad the war is over and she can go back to a more quiet life.

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old October 5th, 2008, 7:14 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
Though I entirely agree with wickedwickedboy and I agree that you could have a good point, I still always thought it was because he had no comprehension of love and its power over others. I never really thought that it was just a plot detail that shows his common sense, or lack thereof, as the case may be. I figured that it all had to do with his callousness in tossing aside what he never felt and what he knew nothing about.
I agree, but I still feel like that could only be stretched so far. I mean Voldemort's behavior becomes a little less than believable because Narcissa was not a Death Eater, didn't really participate - which separates her from Peter in a second regard. She had obviously rejected becoming a Death Eater and Voldemort had let her get away with that - I suppose for Lucius' sake - and the rest of her family which was behind him. But also because I guess he figured she shared the values but just did not wish to participate. But to then depend on her in that situation is just pretty freaky of Voldy.

Old October 5th, 2008, 9:56 pm
Banned

I have a question. Was Narcissa evil? Her husband, her sister, her friend (Snape), and even her son were Death Eaters, but was she? I never really got it and in Half-Blood Prince it didn't seem like she liked Voldemort much. Was she a big supporter?

Old October 5th, 2008, 10:35 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
I have a question. Was Narcissa evil? Her husband, her sister, her friend (Snape), and even her son were Death Eaters, but was she? I never really got it and in Half-Blood Prince it didn't seem like she liked Voldemort much. Was she a big supporter?
I don't think she was evil. She had bigoted views, like her husband and sister, but she wasn't zealous enough to become a Death Eater.

Old October 5th, 2008, 10:47 pm
Qvack...

Same. I don't think she was evil at all. I think she had a superiority complex and considered herself highly superior, took things for granted. But evil, no. I think she supported Voldemort and the Death Eaters, originally, because they offered power and pride.

But at the end of the day, like many others, it was Narcissa who showed her quality by proving her love was bigger than her badness.

THE DUCK.

Old October 5th, 2008, 11:37 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
But at the end of the day, like many others, it was Narcissa who showed her quality by proving her love was bigger than her badness.
I really liked the way that was done, having Narcissa basically saving Harry because of her love for Draco. It illustrated extremely well the power of love and the fact that Voldemort completely did not understand it. Even before that scene in DH, the Unbreakable Vow in HBP showed that Narcissa's love for her family overpowered her badness. I think Narcissa is sort of in the middle in terms of badness, especially since she wasn't a Death Eater. It is interesting how Voldemort allowed her to serve him not as a Death Eater but as merely a supporter.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old October 20th, 2008, 3:43 pm
Fifth Year

I've just noticed something interesting a few days ago. Many people say that Andromeda was the one hit the hardest by the deaths, and honestly, I don't disagree with that.

However, when Narcissa lied to Voldemort, she not only caused him to greet his demise, but Bellatrix too. Her own sister whom she actually did love.

Old December 11th, 2008, 11:23 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageThyme View Post
Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Narcissa Malfoy. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here:Narcissa Malfoy: Character Analysis

1. Is she a Death Eater?
She was at the Quidditch World Cup, but like her husband, was nowhere to be found during the post-game Muggle torture by Death Eaters.
Many apparated to Voldemort in the cemetery following his rebirth, and although Lucius was named, she was not.
She wasn't part of the group of Death Eaters who tried to obtain the prophecy in the Dept. of Mysteries.
She apparently knows of the Dark Lord's plans for her son, enough to seek out Snape.

2. Did Narcissa know of Lucius's intent to use Voldemort's diary to re-open the CoS? Was she part of the plan or did she try to stop him?

3. How does she feel now that her husband has been captured, exposed, and imprisoned as a Death Eater?

4. Why allow her son, who is not of age, to become a Death Eater? Was she proud at first? Was she fearful, once his task was set for him?

5. We know that she has contact with Bellatrix, Draco even took lessons from Bella over the summer, but what relationship, if any, does she have with Andromeda & Tonks?

6. How did Narcissa feel about Sirius Black? Did she know he wasn't a Death Eater? Did she know he was innocently sentenced to Azkaban? How did she react to his death at the hands of her sister?

7. Will 'Cissy' be punished for seeking help from Severus? Will we see her in the final book? What role will she play?

IMO I think that in the presence of her husband she relunctantly went along with the plan. I think that she also feared Voldemort. Knowing the consequences if she outright said no I will not sacrifice my son; and thoughts of what will happen if Draco failed? She was stuck in a damned if do; damned if I don't situation and she did what any loving mother would do to protect her child by any means necessary even if it meant her own life. This is the only comparison that she has with Lily Potter.

I don't think Narcissa was a DE @ all. But because of her family's bloodline and the favor of it she was allowed to sit in on meetings. Now as far as the diary goes I don't think she knew of Lucius having the diary and his plans but had she'd known she would've been all for it. She's still prejudiced.

She's embarrassed and ashamed now that its all out in the open. But as long as her husband being a DE on the low it was cool.

She never wanted Draco to become a DE, but there was nothing she could do about it if the Dark Lord wanted what he wanted. I think in her heart of hearts she knew Draco would fail the task that was given to him. She'd already lost her husband to Azkaban, she would definitely lose her son by death.

I believe that Narcissa's heart isn't as hard as Bellatrix's. IMHO if there was a chance for Narcissa to reconcile with Andromeda she would.

I'll have to re-read DH to answer #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacred_Memories View Post
Thanks

I think that once Narcissa asked Harry whether Draco was alive or not, he must have felt that she certainly was not like other Death Eaters.

I have a question, and all are welcome to answer.

If Harry told Narcissa that Draco was dead, what do you think she would have done?
She still would've told Voldy that Harry was dead so Harry would kill him to much of her satisfaction. Payback! Revenge

Old December 28th, 2008, 10:34 am
Fifth Year

New question:

Did Narcissa ever reconcile with Andromeda after the war?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies