Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

View Poll Results: What did you think of The Deathly Hallows
"O" Outstanding. It played out like nothing I expected. 378 47.07%
"E" Exceeds Expectations. Great story. I was engrossed. 282 35.12%
"A" Acceptable. Predictable but enjoyable none-the-less. 94 11.71%
"P" Poor. I just couldn't get into it. 4 0.50%
"D" Dreadful. I'm really dissapointed. A bad end to what was a great story. 23 2.86%
"T" Troll. Proving once and for all that I am past Harry Potter. 1 0.12%
"$%&" It is a horcrux and must be destroyed! 9 1.12%
Other (please state) 12 1.49%
Voters: 803. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 18th, 2007, 2:46 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

In one word: brilliant.

Also a bit of a relief, because I've been worrying about Harry for years!!!

....I miss David Tennant....
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2007, 2:55 am
Fifth Year

It was an outstanding book, i've read it twice and it was even better the second time (because I was reading slowly) so this book definitely deserves an Outstanding.

It made me laugh, cry, hope, love, feel, believe and so many other things that an outstanding book should do. It made me care about characters that I have never met and unfortunately can never hope to meet. It constantly surprised me & never bored me.

A lot of people seem to dislike the epilogue and to a point, it definitely was lacking in something, but it still answered several of our questions, and it made me believe that Harry did have a happy life after DH.

Because of Edward Cullen...I'm staying single until I find a vampire
Old September 21st, 2007, 8:07 pm
First Year

My view on Deathly Hallows

First, I'm sad to see the HP series end. It was a great series. Epic in its tale. Not many authors can become millionaires off the first book they ever write. I don't think Rowling realized what she had at the time. And even though I've immensely enjoyed the series, the last book, Deathly Hallows, just didn't really measure up for me compared to the last 6 books. I felt like it was a lot of filler with very little substance. I felt she spent too much time portraying the 3 running around without a game plan than she did on the actual war, which is basically one or two chapters at the end of the book. I would've thought Hermione smarter than that. She blindly let Harry lead the way knowing he didn't have a game plan. It's at that point once she realized it, she should have said "This is what we're going to do..." Let's keep the story rolling a bit more focused on the action, not the running around.

Aside from that, I am left with questions. Characters that aren't even key to the story die. Like Colin Creevy. *snore*. Who cares? His death doesn't effect me one way or another. I'm more interested in Ted, Tonks and Lupin's newborn baby. She doesn't explain who raises him, where he lives, whether he's part werewolf, or what. He hits on victoire which we can assume is Bill and Fleur's daughter. But where does he live? What about the house in godric's Hollow? Now that everything is back to normal does Harry reclaim it? Does he reopen Grimwauld place now that there's no longer a need for the Fidelius charm? What do they all do for jobs? Now that Voldie's gone there's no real need for Aurors, the Ministry has no minister, and George is left to run a business by himself. A lot can happen in 19 years, but I think she could have explained things a little bit better at the end than she did.

Not to say it's not a great book because it is, it's a fitting end to the story, but I'm just saying I would have liked to see more with the closing. That's all.

Personally, as a writer myself, I would have had to make a decision. Do I kill off everyone and leave a definitive closure so that no one else can ever capitalize on my idea through syndication and spin off stories? Or do I leave it open so that there's the possibility and I can claim a percentage of royalties for allowing others the use of my characters? It all depends on how close you are to the story. By leaving it open Rowling proves it is about the business. It's a sound financial decision. Whether or not it will actually happen remains to be seen, but I shouldn't see why not. Spinoffs are inevitable methinks. So did she willingly leave it open for us to deliberately come to our own conclusions? That'd be a very writer thing to do. Only JK Rowling knows the answer, and she's probably not gonna tell me. So I was disappointed with the 7th book, but I understand the possible reasoning behind it.

That's just my take.

Ren

Old September 27th, 2007, 9:45 pm
Third Year

I don't know if I liked it or I didn't.

First off, it was an awesome story. Fantabulous I must say. But the ending... I was expecting something unexpected. That's usually how Jo plays it. But the 19 years later was totally expected. I knew Harry and Ginny were going to get married, and so were Ron and Hermione. It wasn't any news. I just wanted Jo to step out of the box and make a little change that no one here was expecting.

But really, it was a good story. I loved it. Gave it an Outstanding . It made me so upset when I finished the book. After I finished, I wish I hadn't so I could keep reading! I walked around depressed for the next couple of days. Me and my best friend (another obsessed Harry Potter freak) were in a complete wreck the next day, down and sad that the series was over. I hope Jo writes several more wizarding books though. It'd be a shame if she didn't.

-xx-
hplova

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.
Old September 27th, 2007, 9:57 pm
Animaga terpsichore

Ok, I have to say Deathly Hallows was by far the best Harry Potter book for me. It was action packed, emotional, and had alot of twists and turns in every chapter, which I absolutely love in a book. Thats what I loved about the entire series. They kept me on the edge of my seat, not knowing what was to come, especially in books 4-7. I have alot to say about this book.

The Deaths; First off, Hedwig and Dobby's death. I teared up. These two were my favorite animals in the series. It was sad to see Hedwig die so early in the book. And the way Harry reacted to both deaths, especially to Dobby's, made me want to tear up so bad.

Remus and Tonks deaths; Very surprising indeed. I was hoping that Remus and Tonks would live on, raising their son. I was also hoping that Remus would live, being the only Marauder left that wasn't killed by Voldemort and his Death Eaters. I am very happy though that Harry was named Teddy's Godfather.

Snape; Once again, very surprising. At first, when he was killed, I really didn't react to it at all. I just kind of stared at the page wondering if it was true. But once I read the part when Harry watched his memories, thats really when I started tearing up because we finally saw a different side of Snape that we have never seen in the other books.

Moody; I was absolutely shocked. I thought he was never going to die, and was going to fight in the final battle. I was wrong. It was very unexpected.

Wormtail; I am glad that he paid his life debt to Harry. It was just done in a way that I wasn't expecting. I really have no feelings about his death at all.

Voldemort: Wow, you should have seen me after I read the part when he died. I was so happy, I ran out of my room, yelled to my mom that Voldemort's dead, then ran back in a read the rest of the book. My mom was laughing at me.

Colin Creevy; I had no reaction. He wasn't that main of a character so I kind of pushed it aside, though its sad that he was killed.

Fred; I just could not believe it. It was so shocking to me, I was like, "Someone pinch me, I'm having a nightmare." After the Twins being together for so long, pulling pranks and opening a joke shop, I thought they were going to stay together and keep on the buissness. But I am very happy that George is keeping the shop open.

Bellatrix: I was happy. As much as I was about Voldemort dying. I was happy that Mrs. Weasley of all people brought her down too.

The only part of the book that I wasn't with was, of course, the epilogue. Though I am very happy with Hermione and Ron and Ginny and Harry getting together, I was hoping for the epilogue to be a bit longer.

But all in all I loved this book and I am very happy with the outcome of it. Thank you JK Rowling for everything!

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends

Last edited by lil_snuffles; September 27th, 2007 at 11:37 pm.
Old October 4th, 2007, 4:32 pm
Second Year

I enjoyed reading this book, but I had to mark it down to Acceptable because;

1) Snape's death scene was not substantial or meaningful enough for me [now I don't mean to start a debate, I know there are plenty of readers who thought it was fine and pertinent, but these are my reasons for why I don't rate the book higher)
2) Snape didn't get a portrait - even a blank canvas if JKR did not want to include a final conversation between Harry and him [we could assume and conclude that Snape was visiting somewhere else or had not made his way there yet]
3) I didn't like the epilogue. I liked the way some things were tied up and I know JKR couldn't include everything, but I don't feel personally that it was that well done.

But I still loved the book and the series, and I am a Harry Potter fan, those are just the reasons that would have made me feel more satisfied with this book.

Old October 4th, 2007, 4:41 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieLovesSnape View Post
I enjoyed reading this book, but I had to mark it down to Acceptable because;

1) Snape's death scene was not substantial or meaningful enough for me [now I don't mean to start a debate, I know there are plenty of readers who thought it was fine and pertinent, but these are my reasons for why I don't rate the book higher)
2) Snape didn't get a portrait - even a blank canvas if JKR did not want to include a final conversation between Harry and him [we could assume and conclude that Snape was visiting somewhere else or had not made his way there yet]
3) I didn't like the epilogue. I liked the way some things were tied up and I know JKR couldn't include everything, but I don't feel personally that it was that well done.

But I still loved the book and the series, and I am a Harry Potter fan, those are just the reasons that would have made me feel more satisfied with this book.
Snape did have a portrait, JKR was interviewed and said that it was substantial that he was missing from it when the trio re-entered the headmasters office.---just thought i should point that out.

I personally loved the book!

"'She was there-expecting me, naturally...she hopped down from the high stool at the counter as soon as i walked in and came directly toward me...and the emotions that were emanating from her were like nothing i'd ever felt before. 'you've kept me waiting a long time,' she said.
I hadn't realized Alice had come to stand behind me again. "And you ducked your head, like a good southern gentleman, and said, 'i'm sorry, ma'am.'" Alice laughed at the memory.
Jasper smiled down at her. "You held out your hand, and i took it without stopping to make sense of what i was doing. For the first time in almost a century, i felt hope." (page 301 Eclipse Stephenie Meyer

*Image from twilightersanonymous !!*
Old October 6th, 2007, 4:23 pm
Third Year

i am absolutly depressed beyond anything now that its over
and every day im not even joking it hits me harder and harder
when i first finished the book at 5:56 am the monday morning following the release i think i was still in disbelief at that time
and now its really hitting me thats its actually over

Old October 6th, 2007, 7:22 pm
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbleISdead View Post
i am absolutly depressed beyond anything now that its over
and every day im not even joking it hits me harder and harder
when i first finished the book at 5:56 am the monday morning following the release i think i was still in disbelief at that time
and now its really hitting me thats its actually over
A lot of people did not want it to be over. The Harry Potter phenomenon was a lot of fun. You can talk about how you feel now that the series is over in this thread:
Post Hallows Depression

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old October 14th, 2007, 9:55 pm
First Year

its the best book ever IF YOU THINK ANY OF THE BOOKS OR J.K. ROWLING SUCKS I WELL HUNT YOU DOWNno worries

Old October 14th, 2007, 9:59 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley10diva View Post
its the best book ever IF YOU THINK ANY OF THE BOOKS OR J.K. ROWLING SUCKS I WELL HUNT YOU DOWNno worries
Um...

I should hope that no one on CoS has ever said that JK Rowling sucks...

Old October 14th, 2007, 10:06 pm
MODLY CREW

And I should hope that threats like this are meant in jest and will not be repeated too often.

Old October 16th, 2007, 1:22 pm
Second Year

I gave it an E. I would probably have given it an O right after the book but no that the dust has settled i could judge it more objectively. Well anyway: I enjoyed the book a lot and it's in the top 3 of my favourite HP books now. Haven't gotten around to reread it yet.

Old October 19th, 2007, 10:27 pm
Seventh Year

I'm voting for an E at this stage. It was an excellent book but not one of my favourites. I still have't done a reread though and I generally find that I appreciate the books more the second time around.

Old October 20th, 2007, 5:05 pm
Third Year

I haven't yet decided how Deathly Hallows ranks in terms of my favorite HP book, but I really thought it was amazing. I have a few plot complaints, but they are insignificant compared with the book's strengths. What really blew me out the water was how deeply she explored so many characters and how they deal with the events in the book. It's extremely emotional and utterly human, which is something that a lot of fantasy (or fiction in general) lacks. The fact that JKR managed to create her magical world and still maintain a firm grip on reality is very impressive to me. The writing was fabulous; the book really brought the series to place that I think defies the "children's book" label (not that I don't adore and find value in children's lit, I just don't think HP fits). It's easy as such an obsessive fan to get nit-picky about the details, but we must still admit that she did an incredible job over seven books and seventeen years keeping everything in order and tying it all up as neatly as she did. It might not be perfect, but it's very, very close.
It was, for Harry and me, the end of childhood, but also the beginning of something new. I also feel a sense of ownership now that the series is complete. I've been depending on JKR to answer my questions and tell me what happened, but now, she's given us everything (nearly, anyway). Any burning questions we have we can answer for ourselves, and that's is really cool.

I say it just
Begins to live
That day.
-Emily Dickenson
Old October 29th, 2007, 8:57 am
First Year

i'm a little bit dissapointed with the final book in the series. i think jkr's best lies within the sixth book. the sixth book in the series is very sensitive in subtlety. it is very sensitive in every single detail that i was having a goosebumps when i was reading it. it has an ability to captivate your imagination and play things in your mind that i was very anticipating its continuation thinking that it might surpass and outlast the creativity of the half blood prince.

Old October 30th, 2007, 5:07 am
Second Year

I gave it an "E." It is solidly among my favorites along with OotP and GoF. The story moved a bit too slow for my liking in the beginning and middle but once Harry returned to Hogwarts I couldn't put it down. "The Prince's Tale" and "The Forest Again" are my favorite chapters in the entire HP series.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old October 30th, 2007, 2:15 pm
First Year

I was of course really upset when Dobby died, but when Harry digs the grave and writes:

"Here lies Dobby, a free elf"

That was what really got to me.

If they don't put Molly killing Bellatrix in the film, and make it a poignant moment, I will scream and then campaign for them to re-shoot the movie!

By the way I gave it an O, I loved it. It's tied for my second favourite book with Philosopher's Stone. My absolute favourite book ever is Prisoner Of Azkaban.

Last edited by ciam; October 30th, 2007 at 2:19 pm.
Old November 6th, 2007, 4:08 am
First Year

oh well, i did read it... didn't think it was that good though. it was pretty boring, although the beginning was good.
i was very disapointed in the epilogue and the battle at hogwarts, the good things were the part where 7 harrys escape, the wedding (with the message from shacklebolt)

Old November 6th, 2007, 7:24 am
First Year

it was awesome... but, as you know, nothing can be fully perfect.
some parts could have been slightly better.
I think Ginny ought to have played a better role. Ron and Hermione should have been given a little more romantic moments. The book should have been LONGER!!!
Apart from that, I liked everything! cheers!

I am a Harry Potter fan.
I am a Ron/Hermione shipper.
I love Ron. He's super cute!
I am in love with Dan..

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives