Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Old June 26th, 2007, 7:27 pm
First Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

I've gone to most of the Harry Potter movies with my mom (I used to only have about one close friend who was a little interested in Harry Potter and also read, now's more, but since the movie is in summertime, a lot are gone on vacation already), and I'm not sure whether she gets everything. The only thing I did have to talk her out of was her prediction of Harry and Hermione getting married :P! (I'm not such a fan of the obvious shippings, but this should've been kind of obvious... well maybe because we read the books..) I guess it was because of Hermione always hugging Harry and not Ron.. My other family doesn't REALLY care about Harry Potter ;_; (my brother I think watched a whole movie when it was on tv, but he probably thinks it's too popular to be cool)

(especially The Mental Mentorship and A Tumultuous Tenureship!)
George and Verity Shipper!

Last edited by Oneiros; June 26th, 2007 at 7:58 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2007, 8:32 pm
Third Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Quote:
I've gone to most of the Harry Potter movies with my mom and I'm not sure whether she gets everything. The only thing I did have to talk her out of was her prediction of Harry and Hermione getting married :P! (I'm not such a fan of the obvious shippings, but this should've been kind of obvious... well maybe because we read the books..)
lol

I went to go see the first two with my mom and I have to admit she was rather quick. She picked up on the plot and at the end of the second one leaned in and said in a very loud whisper "There's something going on with Ron and Hermione."

But my brother on the other hand is a complete nightmare when it comes to these movies. I have to explain him every last detail - and its annoying given he's three years older than me. I had to explain the entire time-turner scene with him because he just sat there, fish-eyed, and said "I dont get it." I had to explain the ending of Goblet of Fire because he didn't understand why Voldemort killed Cedric. I had to explain that he kills everything.

And just last week, he asked me to describe the entire plot of the fifth film because his girl-friend loves the movies. I spent And Hour and a half telling him every last detail.

With my friends I usually just explain to them where they made changes in the movies and where they cut characters and why the books are far superior than the movies.

One door, one key, one idea...one big mess.
The Phenomenon Begins
Old June 26th, 2007, 8:48 pm
First Year

gosh lots of stuff I just simply say you must read the books.

Albus Dumbledore "Your mother died to save you. If there is one thing Voldemort can not understand, it is love"

A HufflePuff Girl Through And Through!
Old June 27th, 2007, 5:36 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBJ23 View Post
My dad has only seen the movies and I had to explain how Hermione and Harry were not going to get together.
That happen to me too! My dad and a few friends of mine also asked, once I had finished reading HBP, if Harry and Hermione were finally together in that book. They had only seen the movies and they didn't know a thing about Ron and Hermione relationship(although in GOF movie there's a bit of R/Hr), or perhaps they just avoided the facts.
My father also asked me and my sister almost everything that happend in POA and GOF, because they don't explain a lot in the movie

Old June 29th, 2007, 8:34 pm
First Year

The Marauders and their Map was a pain to explain to my mum, as well as the reason why Harry had to participate in the Triwizard Tournament. I'm still bitter about the lack of Marauder background in PoA, even though the movie was awesome, cinematography speaking.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 5:06 pm
Second Year

I have to explain that they are missing half the plot. Can get very tiring discussing paticular points again and again.

Jo

'I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick'
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:53 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by troryfan View Post
I have to explain that they are missing half the plot. Can get very tiring discussing paticular points again and again.

Jo
I know what you mean.

Occlumency was a something that the people who havent read the books where confused about.

Lord Montymort
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:11 pm
First Year

I don't explain much to them when they've only seen the films, I just tell them to read the books.

When you look at the books, there are usually three or four integral plot lines to each one, with the rest "filler" (for want of a better word).

Take OotP for example. The main plot lines were:

To explain that although Voldemort had returned, the wizarding beauracracy did not believe or acknowledge it (rectified at the end);
The formation of Dumbledore's Army to provide a vehicle for the main characters to become accomplished duellers;
A "mental link" between Harry and Voldemort;
The discovery and retrieval of a prophecy made about Harry and Voldemort, showing that one of them must kill the other;
Dumbledore losing (and subsequently regaining) control of Hogwarts to and from Dolores Umbridge and the Ministry;
The battle between the Death Eaters and Dumbledore's Army in the Department of Mysteries.

All of the above are included in the film, but it would have been impossible to include everything, as most realise.

I think the films do an excellent job (particularly the latter two as the source material is longer) of telling the core Harry Potter story without going into all the filler that those of us who love the books know about.

So if my family or friends ask me what happens in the book, I just tell them to read it if they want to find out - if I started to explain, it would just get too confusing!

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:26 pm
First Year

i agree with you, gazcobain. although the films cover the main points, it would be impossible to include everything, just as it's impossible to give a brief discription of everything that happens in the books. for instance, if you were to give a brief discription of everything that happened in Ootp, you'd pretty much end up reading the book to the person. which they can do for themselves, surely.

i just tell them to read the books, and if they can't be bothered to do that, I tell them not to ask questions about what they don't understand

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:49 pm
Second Year

I have to explain that just because characters are gone by apparation, that doesn't mean they're dead. The prophecy part had to be explained, too. I also had to explain what the dementors were doing; and who numerous characters were. Occumency wasn't explained too much, either.
The movies, on whole, were great, but the fact is that if you didn't read the books, they can be confusing. That is the reason I try to get the people that ask questions to read the books, but most of them think that whatever was put into the movie is the whole story; that's where they're wrong, but they don't understand, so I have to carry on, answering questions in the theatre, where I'm in danger of getting kicked out for talking too much.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:55 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Two weeks ago a good friend decided she was up for seeing OotP with me, even though she hadn't read past PoA (her son couldn't get into the books). I was carrying my copy of OotP, because I'd been trying to find time to read it the week before.

I don't recall whose idea it was, but before the movie started I quickly gave a synopsis for each chapter. She seemed really into it and later said she was glad I'd given her some background info.

I'm lending her the books this weekend

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:20 am
First Year

I don't have any family or friends who doesn't read the books but wants to watch the movies, but I constantly have to tell my mother who's good and who's bad.

Old July 30th, 2007, 12:48 am
First Year

This question made me laugh. Just took my husband to O o Pheonix. He's seen all the movies. I've had a hard time explaining Harry does not get with Hermoine just because she's cute and Ron is not. "Emma is cute."
But this time is was explaining Tonks. "Did her hair just change color?" Try explaininf metamorphmagus to athe ultimate muggle. You can imagine trying to explaining the more deep magic.

Old July 30th, 2007, 3:43 am
First Year

I'm the only one in my family that actually reads the books... I read a few to my sister when she was little but she's forgotten most of the plot by now.

My mom loves the movies, but she thinks they're really hard to follow... I think I've basically had to explain everything. They're great companion pieces to the books, but it's hard to watch them and understand everything that's going on. It's like reading half the story - just the highlights, and not all of the important backstory.

Dad fell asleep during OOTP.

In the end, after telling mom to just read the books already, she finally agreed to do so. She's a big Stephen King fan so it's a bit different, but as I said she does like the movies.

Old August 5th, 2007, 12:42 pm
First Year

I hate explaining! Just read the books already! I've had to explain a myriad of things, but I don't like it when my mom and my brother ask so many ridiculous questions, when it would be so much easier (and more fun) to read the books. They ask little things about the films, but to try to weasel information about whether Snape was good or not, who dies, etc. Then I just tell them to read the series.

Old August 5th, 2007, 1:11 pm
Second Year

Non of my friends read the books. But one usually goes to see the films with me. and he enjoy's the films. He doesn't read the books, because he say's he doesn't want them to spoil the movies like they do for me.... Everytime I go I moan on about how rubbish the films are.

Anyway after every film he'll say it was good and then the questions will come where there was gaps in the plot. By the end of my answers i've basically explained the entire book. Even filled him in on characters that did not appear in the films sometimes.

For example in OOTP. I was asked:

"I thought Sirius was on the run, so how come he's dressed neatly and at the house now?"

Who's owns the house?

What was that thing Sirius flew up in when he was hit by AK?

Old August 5th, 2007, 1:41 pm
Registered Animagus

In OotP my friend didnt understand:
The Prophecy
Why "Harry and Hermione havent hooked up yet"
Who Sirius was
How Sirius died and why he flew into an invisible door

I told her to read the book but its too long so I spent ages trying to explain it all but she didnt believe me about H/H

Old August 5th, 2007, 1:53 pm
Second Year

I just don't explain. I say to them to read the books first, or they will get a "bad" impression of the whole history.

When I saw PoA, there was a teen, who said 'look! harry's dead!'. I didn't explain, since we where in the middle of the movie, but if there was at the time, 5 books.. who could he be dead? xD

I was about to see OotP with my father, and he said it was better not to see, 'cause he didn't know the whole history, I had to agreed and told him to read the books

"...Don't worry. You're just as sane as I am."

Luna Lovegood <3

My Last.fm
Old August 5th, 2007, 6:05 pm
Rex's Mummy

I only see the movies in theaters with friends who actually read the books, so there's not much explaining, but a whole ton of ranting. Especially after OOTP and the whole veil thing. However any movie that Ilike that I watch at home, I have to explain to my dad. He's not a fantasy fan at all, whereas fantasy is my life. Is especially difficult when your halfway through the battle at Minas Tirith in Return of the King, and he comes down to get something, then starts asking questions. He's really the only one I ever have to explain things to, but thankfully he gets bored after a minute or so, and leaves.

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old August 5th, 2007, 6:12 pm
First Year

I tell them to read the book! mwahahaha

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies