Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

View Poll Results: What did you think of the movie?
A – Fantastic Adaptation. I loved everything about this movie. 36 15.52%
B – Very Good Adaptation. I enjoyed the movie. A few minor issues but no big deal. 89 38.36%
C – A Good Adaptation. I was entertained. Some room for improvement but overall it was fine. 48 20.69%
D – Viewable Adaptation. There are lots I would have done differently though. 24 10.34%
E – Below Average Adaptation. It needed improvements throughout, unfortunately. 23 9.91%
F - Awful Adaptation. I found the film almost intolerable. There is a great deal wrong with HBP 12 5.17%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 3rd, 2009, 3:29 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAdams View Post
I thought we got plenty wide shots of the solar system during the Astronomy Tower. Actually there LOADS. And they were epic. And the close-ups had an epic feel. I mean seeing Dumbledore and a landscape of huge black,deep blue clouds and beams of grey light combined-the aesthetics were extremely dark and had this spectacular epic feel. We also saw the solar system lots of times during the Trio scene in the end AND during the Tower scene before the cave. It would have been too much,IMO.
Then my theather gave a complete different version of the film, 'cause I didn't see any of it.
I just saw close-ups of Dumbledore, a black sky, and then the sculpture of what could be the sun, but that's it.

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2009, 4:05 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausBaudelaire View Post
Then my theather gave a complete different version of the film, 'cause I didn't see any of it.
I just saw close-ups of Dumbledore, a black sky, and then the sculpture of what could be the sun, but that's it.
Perhaps you didn't pay attention? It was a great scene, nicely shot and edited imo. You might disagree about that, but you can't deny; all sorts of angles were used except wide-angles of Hogwarts and the tower itself. I agree on that. I missed a wide-angle when Dumbledore died, but it worked with the close-ups. By the way, Yates once praised Delbonnels' work and his use of close-ups. In other words, it's not just Yates' fault that lots of close-ups were used but also Delbonnel's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTucker View Post
Incorrect. Listen to the track "Living Death" on the soundtrack and you'll see that it is completely different from the Umbridge theme.
You are wrong! I listened to it and this music was not used when Harry and Slughorn walked to Hagrid.
Here I found it - "The Book": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gOwc...0A7BEA&index=9

From 0:57 to the end of the track they almost re-cycled one of Umbridge's themes.

Last edited by Noldus; September 3rd, 2009 at 5:19 pm.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 5:54 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
You are wrong! I listened to it and this music was not used when Harry and Slughorn walked to Hagrid.
Here I found it - "The Book": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gOwc...0A7BEA&index=9

From 0:57 to the end of the track they almost re-cycled one of Umbridge's themes.
Do tell me which track from OOTP sounds like that. Because as far as I know, none of them sound like the end of that song.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 8:07 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotk1988 View Post
I went to see this movie with my mom, who hadn't read the books at the time, and with my Aunt and cousins, who had read all the books. I've read all the books more than once. Now that you have that background info...

First off, my mom almost fell asleep. Said it was the most boring Potter movie she'd seen, and she LOVES the HP movies. And my Aunt and I discussed everything I'm about to write and agrees with me.

I wouldn't say the movie SUCKED, because it didn't. There were times that I laughed. I really liked when Harry took the Luck potion. It was like he was high or something. Hilarious to me.

The beginning was great, especially with the Death Eaters destroying things. But in my opinion, that was the end of the action. Sad really, since it was only the first ten minutes of the movie.

I know a lot of people liked this movie, and that's fine. We're all entitled to our opinions. I know plenty enjoyed the romance stuff. I didn't. It was ok, and yes it was in the book, I do remember that. But to me, the romance wasn't the main theme of Half-Blood Prince, and the movie made it seem that it was. The main theme was finding out more about Voldemort's past, which they only focused on a little, and of course Dumbledore's climatic (in the book, not the movie) death and the battle between Harry/the Professor's and Snape/the Death Eaters. But, unfortunately, that was hardly in the movie at all. *sigh* I really, really hope that the seventh and eighth movies are better.

All in all, I'd give it a 2/5.
I agree.

"WHAT THE DEVIL IS GOING ON HERE?"
-AVPM.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 8:34 pm
Fourth Year

Where is version 1 of this thread?

"Hey, Mom! Snape DIDN'T die - he's pitching in the World Series!"
[
Old September 3rd, 2009, 9:03 pm
First Year

i miss wide shots in the climax too, one of dumbledore falling from the astronomy tower would be spectacular, let's hope the exyended edition XD I remember one shot of the first trailer where you could see a wide shot of the castle the night of the climax, anyone do remember it?¿?

Old September 3rd, 2009, 9:07 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Many situations: When Harry and Ron are standing in the corridor laughing of the newest students. McGonagal asks why Harry isn't in potions.
As JLTucker said about the other scene, it wasn't used there either.

Quote:

No, that's not recycling of Umbridge's theme or any of the music from OOTP...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_bBc8iMLPE

Old September 3rd, 2009, 9:54 pm
Second Year

Grade = B. I have seen this movie twice, I noticed a wide range of improvments in the film. The only aspects of the movie that discouraged me from giving it an A was the fact that in depth horcrux discussion was neglected, snapes back story of over-hearing the prophecy and finally the lack of confrontation at the end of the movie when the DE's are exiting the castle.

Other than these three issues, particularly the explaination/discussion of the horcruxes and what they may be...the movie was truly a piece of cinimatic mastery.

-The soundtrack fits the mood and events perfectly, the opening song in the film is truly incredible. I was honestly moved by how well it fit the theme.
-The cinematography overall was with out a doubt right up to par with OotP and PoA. The hourglass shots with harry/tom when they both are questioning Slughorn. The pan to Diagon Ally right after the movie began. All of the quiditch shots with ron and cormac. When Harry arrives at the burrow and ginny is asking molly, ron and hermione if harry is there with the shot through the burrows upper levels. Such great shots.
-Lastly and the most signifigant improvment I clearly saw was the obvious progression of theatrical talent among the trio, ginny, draco, twins, luna. From PoA to GoF to OotP to HBP these actors and actresses have vastly improved in their ability to adapt to their characters and it clearly benefits the films as a whole.
- The addition of slughorn, more screen time (it seemed like) for DD, snape, Bella all seemed to excell in their roles. Maybe they didn't get more screen time but I just thought that these actors really inhabited their characters and it shows in the film, snapes unbreakable vow and scene with malfoy in the dark hallway after the slughorn party. DD at slughorns home, in the cave on the island and in his VERY brief disscusion of the horcruxes were impecable. Then theres slughorn, who lets face it was incredible in every single scene he was a part of. Bella the ever more progressive sinister and cruel witch. When she leans her chin onto snapes shoulder and calls him a coward, wow...

There is very little I disliked about the film other than the lack of horcrux dissucssion, I can't see how they will introduce the 4 houses objects and the snake as possible targets for what items Voldy choose as horcruxes. More memories would have been good, fight at the end would have been good, but it does not damage the film at all.

As a whole, the love stories, dark magical objects, sinister plotting, character interaction and development were all precise and spot on. The films flow of transitioning from HBP book to memories to the love stories and all being wrapped with a bow in the form of constant comic relief that was 9/10 times very funny. Great adaptation of the book I oculd not have asked for more.

~~ Proud Member of Slytherin House ~~

Billy Clanton: It's the drunk piano player. You're so drunk, you can't hit nothin'. In fact, you're probably seeing double. [Billy Clanton draws a knife]
Doc Holliday: [takes out a second gun] I have two guns, one for each of ya'
-Tombstone
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:13 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausBaudelaire View Post
I think it was alright, Klaus. Yeah, they wasted the astronomy instruments, there was still too much cutting about and I think they didn't get the clouds in the background right, but there were a lot of different shots in there. What really puts a dampener on things is the sound mix when Dumbledore actually gets hit by the curse. The sound effect is a kind of whooshing sound, it sounds very feeble. In OOTP they used more of a thumping sound when Sirius got hit, it was more abrupt. There was something a little too elegant about the curse in HBP. It didn't feel to me like Dumbledore was just smacked in the chest with a killing curse. I would have preferred something a little more awkward. Did they think no-one would notice the railings behind Dumbledore suddenly disappeared when he fell off? He just slipped right off the tower, when all the previous shots had shown a high rail running around the edge.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:18 pm
Zonko's Employee

Actually the track 'the book' is taken directly note by note from a OOTP deleted scene: extended Umbridge interrogation of Trelawny. You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhoVpGQdiSg

I loved the soundtrack as a whole, but this reprise was kinda cheap, I have to admit...

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:19 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severely Snapped View Post
Where is version 1 of this thread?
In the Forum Archives, Post DH References
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=121284

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:26 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Actually the track 'the book' is taken directly note by note from a OOTP deleted scene: extended Umbridge interrogation of Trelawny. You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhoVpGQdiSg

I loved the soundtrack as a whole, but this reprise was kinda cheap, I have to admit...
Yeah, they basically used un-used music from OOTP. Ah well.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:49 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML1991 View Post
Yeah, they basically used un-used music from OOTP. Ah well.
It's so crazy that there were whole tracks composed just for HBP that didn't get into the movie, but heaps of old cues did. I'd love to know what went on with Hooper's score.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:52 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Heh. That's quite funny actually. I have only seen the deleted scenes for OotP once and this was recently when I uploaded them to YouTube.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:08 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
It's so crazy that there were whole tracks composed just for HBP that didn't get into the movie, but heaps of old cues did. I'd love to know what went on with Hooper's score.
I have no problems with that piece, because I thought it fit really well, but it frustrates me that they didn't use 'Wizard Weezes' or even 'In Noctem'. Did they use 'Fireworks' over the credits or was it 'The Weasely Stomp'? I'm glad they let at least 30 seconds pass on the credits before playing that (rather unfitting I might add), but if they used 'Fireworks' instead of 'The Weasely Stomp'... serious *** there.

But for the most part, I think the score is perfectly fine, and as the book had multiple subplots, each subplot has a theme of it's own. That's one thing OOTP lacked, either every scene had a complete different theme playing during it, or when there was a scene that did play the same theme, it was the SAME EXACT piece with no variation, it felt cheap. Besides some questionable placement, the score for HBP felt professional and fitting for a major blockbuster. Lots of contemporary and artistic choices.

Oh and as someone asked a page or two back, I haven't answered yet, does the film hold up for me after the hype has subsided? Yes it has. I've only seen it once in theaters, and twice on the computer via streaming, surprisingly I like the film even more on rewatches despite the viewing experiences. I'd say a film holds up well if you enjoy a not-so-great CAM even more. Am I a fan? To a certain extent, yes, but hardly a blinded fanboy. The film has flaws, as an adaptation that goes further than any other on taking creative liberties, there are a few issues (the one and really only one that comes to mind is the film not addressing the burrow attack later, you'd think for such a major scene that hit Ron's family hard, 15 minutes back into the movie he's hit by a love potion and it's like the attack never happened - I suspect they'll pick this up in much greater detail in Hallows, but at least a reference to it would have been nice), but at the same time, the film accomplishes so much both as an adaptation that I feel accurately reflects the atmosphere of the book, the general point of it, the characterization that is closer to canon than ever, but it's also the most artistically accomplished film yet. As an aspiring filmmaker, this film is really above the others on a pure filmmaking level, along with Azkaban in that regard.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:13 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon View Post

...The only aspects of the movie that discouraged me from giving it an A was the fact that in depth horcrux discussion was neglected, snapes back story of over-hearing the prophecy ...

...There is very little I disliked about the film other than the lack of horcrux dissucssion, I can't see how they will introduce the 4 houses objects and the snake as possible targets for what items Voldy choose as horcruxes...
That was my thought at first, but now I'm wondering (hoping) that this was somewhat intentional, given that these are somewhat intricate plot details (i.e. hard for Joe Viewer to remember/care about from movie to movie).

I'm hoping these subjects wil be discussd, in adequate detail, in DH1.

Old September 4th, 2009, 12:03 am
First Year

my Math teacher said today he didn't like HBP because there was too much Romance! and he thought they should have spent a little more time on Horcruxes and other stuff

he also didn't like how quik the scene with Harry and Snape went

any thoughts?

"To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. "
—Albus Dumbledore

Follow Me On Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/APGB
Old September 4th, 2009, 3:51 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th_Wonder View Post
In the Forum Archives, Post DH References
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=121284
Thank you!

"Hey, Mom! Snape DIDN'T die - he's pitching in the World Series!"
[
Old September 4th, 2009, 5:15 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potterwatch1994 View Post
my Math teacher said today he didn't like HBP because there was too much Romance! and he thought they should have spent a little more time on Horcruxes and other stuff

he also didn't like how quik the scene with Harry and Snape went

any thoughts?
I also think they should have spent more time on the horcruxes, well more time on the memories in general. All we learned was that Riddle made 7 Horcruxes. We didn't learn that he liked to collect things as a child and and that he was after items once owned by the founders of Hogwarts. We didn't learn that returned to Hogwarts in search of a job (how is Harry going to know this was when he hid the Horcrux in the school?). Hopefully this will all be covered in DH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severely Snapped View Post
Thank you!
You're Welcome

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...
Old September 4th, 2009, 8:12 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDeLaPointe View Post
Which should segue into a new topic presented by me!

Been how long since HBP is out? Dunno, not caring enough to look it up. However what I do care about is that the hype and anticipation is gone now and like the old saying goes, "Hunger is the best spice," so therefore now that all of us consumed HBP; in hindsight has anyone's opinion of the film changed?

Has anyone seen HBP as of recent? Does it hold up at all? Why I ask this is due to reading all the criticism and details about HBP, it sort of made me reflect on the film after it was out of my headspace for a while. Especially after watching other films post HBP release. Granted for a few of opinions changed after years between viewings or over the years; but considering on this board how much of a supernova comet HBP was made out to be; I'm just wondering if it's cinematic flame is holding true or has it fizzled out faster than a sparkler in some people's opinions. While we aren't anticipating HBP anymore. I'm sure anticipating this new line of discussion!
Great question. I shall answer it.

Upon memory exploration of HBP le Film via a combination of my pensieve, weird foreshadowing and hindsighting dreams and the glorious CoSforums search functions I've came to this relatively new but unchanged conclusion to my review. Perhaps an addendum to it.

Really looking at the HP franchise so far, it's really an amazing franchise. It's a franchise that seems pretty distinct from other franchises because it does some things franchises never done before. I remember on review earlier in the thread or somewhere in the HBP thread about advance screening impressions that did the comparison of HBP to other franchises that have hit a 6th or nth installment in their series so far which makes a heck of a lot of sense. Unless you consider the Yates and the more important Cuaron involvement there really hasn't been that bit of a reboot that most franchises encounter. Taking into consideration Halloween, it's franchise is reboot due to a new director aka Rob Zombie. Friday the 13th seen lots of reboots or reimaginings over it's franchise life. James Bond does so in an actor sense reflecting the decade almost and Star Trek due separate franchises.

HP in comparison to most of these more than Trilogy franchises is interesting in the sense that what we might consider a reboot, drastic change or almost a reimagining of what we've come to expect from the films, read or seen before, pales in comparison to the exec-gauntlet of knowitalls in Hollywood in their attempts to read the mind of the audience or reinvigorating a stale series. There are very few franchises that seem less installment like and more episodic than HP with the exception of perhaps Toy Story (due to masterful storytelling) and the Evil Dead series (where ED2 is a remake of 1).

The thing is with this idea of franchise exhaustion that is so prevalent in other properties, you really can't blame how "badly" or how "goodly" HBP came out in the end. It's a franchise that still has an alright story to tell that isn't mind-farted from screenwriters or execs trying to make up an excuse to put this onto the screen. JKR's shortcomings of planning this series aside; what's interesting is that if HBP is to stand for anything in the HP fandom (from both sides of the adaptative coin); it should stand as a testament as to how hard it is to film a 6th installment of an intellectual property without making it another notch in the "franchise 'foot-notch' on the 'oh I just exist here' belt.'"

I'm not being an apologist, but in an effort to give any sort of benefit of the doubt for an otherwise decent franchise, you have to admit while it certainly could have been infinitely better (I mean come on. It was a romantic comedy with HP elements), it could have also been horrendously worst. It's almost by the sheer force of enthusiasm of Yates has managed to prevent the 6th installment itch from goose-egging the film and just keep S.S. HP-film afloat in slight averageness. Yet it's because of that enthusiasm with such a poor adaptation it bogs it down a bit. I mean consider this:

You have a romantic comedy. It's by the books. It works, people laugh, boyfriends hate it, it's formulaic but it's polished. It looks the way it looks. The visual cues, the editing, the cinematography, music etc. fits that you don't even consider the idea that an entire production crew was behind this film.

HBP doesn't exhibit that.

A lot of people have talked about it's film merits but there is just something a bit off in the film. It may be the enthusiasm of Yates putting in so much effort it's like gold plating your printer. It looks nice but it doesn't fit with the rest of your computer set. It might be the revolving door of cameos and wizard of the installment but in the end looks unpolished. Which in the end just shows how much effort has to be put into a production of a film just to even achieve the banal of a typical romantic comedy let alone the mega production of HBP.

What I find most interesting is that at least Yates is trying his best which I can't fault him for in that respect. What I find interesting is that it's almost like he understands the episodic nature of the HP series, the way that Post GoF installments parallel Pre GoF installments (PS and CoS Voldie makes an appearence, PoA absent. GoF, OoTP same thing, HBP absent.) and while sadlly the films lack a certain ability to reflect these parallels at least Yates is trying to do it in a film context sort of way. Also understanding how episodic it feels especially when story progression up to GoF turns into flashback regression, at least he's trying to break the storyline up with this romantic comedy installment so at least the audience doesn't feel cheated to have to shell out for another Voldie and Harry encounter.

And while DH might even suggest that the HP franchise is going through it's 3rd reboot with DH parts 1 and 2 (Cauron, Yates and Super-Everything-in-a-last-Hurrah-Yates), I think it's safe to say that DH will also have the similar (but quickly fading) magical protection from franchise exhaustion simply because while we might not know what to expect from DH filmwise, it's reined in well enough by a source material to keep it from entering "let's make this hip and sexy" territory. However the sad thing is that we still know what to expect from Yates.

Last edited by FleurDeLaPointe; September 4th, 2009 at 8:24 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies