Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

111th US Congress: Version 4

Old June 26th, 2010, 12:48 am
Ultimate Dog Lover

Re: 111th US Congress: Version 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermom
Except that doing the wrong thing has negative connotations, and the Democrats are trying pass legislation that is considered by most Americans to be bad, and those "nay" votes from Republicans are preventing that bad legislation from being enacted. At least that's what we're hearing my very angry purple state.
"Wrong thing" is subjective and in the eye of the voter, so to speak. As you already know, I do not feel health care reform was the "wrong thing", and would caution labeling such subjective labels to the full American public and speak for your own opinion.

"Bad legislation" is also in the eye of the beholder and a subjective judgement...not a fact. Of course, I do accept that this is your opinion as I'm sure you probably already know that I do not share this opinion.

Quote:
The Democrats passed Health Care reform. It is supposed to be their major legislative accomplishment.
And, to me, it was. It was historic legislation that many other Presidents had attempted, and failed at delivering (except for a partial success with Medicare).
Quote:
Yet, on health care, a majority of Americans want all or a portion ofthe health care bill the Democrats passed to be repealed.
Again, becareful of such sweeping generalities when referring to the feelings of the American public. Certain the more conservative voters probably feel this way, but there are so many Americans who do not (myself being one of those).

Quote:
The Democrats have controlled the federal government's purse strings for more than 2 years now.
...in between fillibusters?
Quote:
They talk quite a bit about fiscal responsibility and how we can't continue with our irresponsible spending, yet they turn around approve more federal spending then we've seen in decades. The budget deficit for FY 2010 exceeds the combined deficits for the entire Bush administration. The 2009 and 2010 deficits are from Democratic budgets. And a majority of Americans report that cutting the deficit is the highest priority for Congress.
To use an analogy, if no one's been keeping the farm up--it's going to take a lot of fence-mending, hole repair in the ranch house, vet care for the animals and replacing a few rusty nails in the dry rot before it starts turning a profit and feeding the farmer again. What does one expect when these things have been left for so long neglected? How would one expect the cow to give milk before she's nursed back to health and given some hay again? The answer is not starving the farm animals further or ignoring the long-left maintenance of the ranch. At some point, an investment must be made if ever a return is going to be seen.

This is also basic economics.

Quote:
The GOP does have positions on those issues. Their legislation has been killed by the Democratic leadership before it sees the light of day.
Well, thank goodness! And there you said they weren't doing anything! Seems they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Regarding the Heritage foundation graphic, I have a question: did they take into account the war funding that wasn't included in deficit calculations by the Bush admin but were by the Obama admin? Without a source (yes, they say source = CBO and OMB, but they don't actually give a link to the appropriate figures) for their figures, I can't answer that question, but I suspect that they did not.
I suspect they did, as well. Most conservative graphs and figures count the Bush Admin war funding to Obama because it never got added in until the Obama admin.. The Heritage Foundation is a very conservative think tank boasting of Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh as members and supporters (and giving them awards!). I know this because I seem to have aquired one of their yearly calendars boasting of how they promote conservative ideals. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it should be taken into consideration when looking at their graphs, in my opinion.

Of course, one must always look at the sources of all information as many (on both sides) do have their distinct agendas.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2010, 4:50 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
No, it isn't. Job are the single most important issue to American citizens. In fact, a majority of Americans want Congress to increase the deficit in order to provide job stimulus.

Americans Back More Stimulus Spending to Create Jobs
Sure American's want more jobs. With unemployment still at almost 10%, consumer confidence at record lows, and stagnant GDP growth, who doesn't want jobs. The problem is that the packages proposed in Congress as "jobs bills" won't create jobs.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan
Old June 26th, 2010, 5:14 am
Ultimate Dog Lover

And yet, there is progress.

In my county the unemployment rate was a whopping 18% last year. Now, it is 15.8%. Not "fixed", but progress...better.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives