Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Animal Braniacs

Old July 12th, 2009, 4:48 am
Secret Keeper

Animal Braniacs

Humans are, on average, the smartest living things on earth, or at least the smartest living things so far that we've discovered, but that doesn't mean animals are all dumb. Today, I suddenly got the urge to look up how smart other primates are and it's really astonishing how smart they can be.

A rather famous example: Koko the Gorilla

Quote:
During the course of the study, Koko has advanced further with language than any other non-human. Koko has a working vocabulary of over 1000 signs. Koko understands approximately 2,000 words of spoken English. Koko initiates the majority of conversations with her human companions and typically constructs statements averaging three to six words. Koko has a tested IQ of between 70 and 95 on a human scale, where 100 is considered "normal." Michael, the male silverback gorilla who grew up with Koko, had a working vocabulary of over 600 signs.
heh, I probably know quite a few people who have a lower iq than that...

An interesting article about some pretty cool things animals can do that's similar to us

Quote:
A Caledonian crow called Betty made the headlines a few years ago when she was found to be able to fashion quite complicated hooked tools from bits of wire to fish things out of tubes.

Even chimps cannot do this. Even some humans cannot do this.
Note: I'm hoping for this thread to just be a place to share and discuss various stories and just the wow factor in some of the things animals can do, not some heated debate about animal rights since we already have a thread on that: http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114481

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2009, 1:57 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Re: Animal Braniacs

Interesting thread v8. I read a story about animal smarts not too long ago in National Geographic, and it's amazing to see just how much they are capable of.

There was a crow that they mentioned that could make a hook out of a piece of metal... and some dolphins that could make up their own tricks on their own, amongst other interesting stories.

It was definitely an illuminating article .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old July 16th, 2009, 8:50 pm
Secret Keeper

African Grey Parrots are amazing: http://www.outlawjournalism.com/news/?p=6094

http://www.outlawjournalism.com/blog/?p=1024

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old July 17th, 2009, 1:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
Yea they are v8 . That one basically did a similar thing that this other one did in terms of learning and what not. They are certainly incredible creatures.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old July 18th, 2009, 7:37 pm
First Year

We often don't give credit where it is due. I've seen these and many other examples of intelligence and emotion in animals.
Elephants teaming together to rescue a calf from a muddy bank, it takes brains to work things out.
The African Greys, Dolphins, Fruit bats can pull up string with fruit at the end, Ravens/Crowns are brilliant problem solvers.
Sometimes I wish people would quit saying animals are stupid cos they're not. They're smart for what's important to them.

Snakes are pretty.
Old July 19th, 2009, 5:53 am
First Year

I agree animals are very intelligent creatures. I always sit down and analyze my cats they are very susceptible to human emotions. For instance when I cry or am in a depressed mood my cat will jump on my bed and rub on me almost as if she is aware of how I am feeling. This is a very interesting article as well on how Cats control humans.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...mansstudyfinds

We reign supreme!
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:00 pm
Secret Keeper

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/videos/...sts-44009.html

I can't find an english version, but it's easy enough to understand, octopus undergoing "iq" tests

My Deviantart Account

Last edited by Voldemorts8thHorcrux; July 21st, 2009 at 5:13 am.
Old July 20th, 2009, 5:34 am
Seventh Year

My 3 dogs are so smart, they always know if something is wrong, or if I am upset. Once I was really upset and I was sitting outisde on the deck, and all 3 came up to me and put their hands on my lap and just stared at me, and started to whimper. It made me cry to know that they knew I was upset.

We hardly have to do much training with our dogs either. We taught my dog to sit and lay down in 5 minutes! And when you say "Wheres your ball?" my dog will go looking for it, and won't come back until he has found it! And sometimes when we are out the front, they will have a ball each, and I will say "Come on, push it through!" and they nudge their balls through the fence so I can throw them!

Old July 20th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaello View Post
We often don't give credit where it is due. I've seen these and many other examples of intelligence and emotion in animals.
Elephants teaming together to rescue a calf from a muddy bank, it takes brains to work things out.
The African Greys, Dolphins, Fruit bats can pull up string with fruit at the end, Ravens/Crowns are brilliant problem solvers.
Sometimes I wish people would quit saying animals are stupid cos they're not. They're smart for what's important to them.
Definitely true there. We tend to overlook them since we tend to think that we're the only beings capable of learning and what not. Which is definitely not true now... since many, many animals have shown just how clever and smart that they are -- and that humans aren't the only ones who are capable of learning and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonzoFirewalk View Post
I agree animals are very intelligent creatures. I always sit down and analyze my cats they are very susceptible to human emotions. For instance when I cry or am in a depressed mood my cat will jump on my bed and rub on me almost as if she is aware of how I am feeling. This is a very interesting article as well on how Cats control humans.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...mansstudyfinds
That's SO my own cat... she does this every day! I don't mind it though, since she has a pretty voice. Not to mention that she's quite the clown.

Old July 21st, 2009, 4:34 am
Zonko's Employee

Not just animals like cats and apes, but animals like cuttlefish and octopus. I've read of an octopus that was given a cockroach in a jar. To get the yummy cockroach, the octopus had to figure out how to open the jar.

The octopus opened the jar, but instead of eating the cockroach, it used it as bait to catch a fish, and then ate the fish!

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old July 21st, 2009, 5:14 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
Not just animals like cats and apes, but animals like cuttlefish and octopus. I've read of an octopus that was given a cockroach in a jar. To get the yummy cockroach, the octopus had to figure out how to open the jar.

The octopus opened the jar, but instead of eating the cockroach, it used it as bait to catch a fish, and then ate the fish!
I bet there are people who wouldn't think of that

My Deviantart Account

Old July 21st, 2009, 6:37 pm
Zonko's Employee

Yeah, they'd just eat the cockroach! lol

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old July 21st, 2009, 7:17 pm
Secret Keeper

well, if they were on a deserted island with nothing to eat

My Deviantart Account

Old July 23rd, 2009, 1:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post

Wow that's pretty awesome, Tibs .

Talk about one smart cookie of an octopus right there.

As for people... there probably are people who would just go and eat the cockroach ...

Old August 28th, 2009, 11:57 pm
First Year

Humans use animals to make their life's easier, horses to ploy fields etc. But there are examples of animals doing the same things. Where there are humans, there are also rats living off the garage we leave behind.
Humans have different goals, but animals are intelligent in their own right.

Old August 29th, 2009, 1:11 am
Second Year

There are different types of intelligence... the way we measure intelligence doesn't apply to many animals so we would label them as stupid.

Like IQ tests... animals would fail IQ tests because their brains aren't designed to work that way, but the IQ test isn't the only way to measure intelligence. We're trying to test intelligence by imposing our ways or ideals of intelligence.

We like to think of animals as stupid or not as smart as us because they can't do algebra, but really why would an animal want to learn something like that?

The only intelligence that matters to the animal is survival. Humans like to dabble in the areas of morality, philosphy, writing, language, art. Is that type of intelligence important? Yes, that type of intelligence works for our society that's we've created for ourselves, but it wouldn't really help us if we were stranded on a desert island or a rainforest.

I think their rising intelligence is a result of adapting to their environment. Crows/Ravens/Rats in cities because we're trying to exterminate them, so to survive they have to apply their smarts.

Do scarecrows work for crows anymore, or can they recognize the scarecrow isn't human?

Last edited by Shingie; August 29th, 2009 at 1:19 am. Reason: .
Old September 1st, 2009, 8:09 pm
First Year

I like your comments here. I think that if we measure intelligence by the way an animal would, humans would come out being very stupid.

Animals are normally better at sensing danger and who to trust better than we can. I bet an animal would never get caught out by a dodgey car salesman.

Animals do learn and they pass what they learn on to the next generation, in a similar way to humans. Forest dwelling animals often teach their offspring that certain types of berries are toxic and should not eat them. Many generations of the group will then not eat these, withour ever seeing the effects.

Old October 2nd, 2010, 10:44 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBB View Post
I like your comments here. I think that if we measure intelligence by the way an animal would, humans would come out being very stupid.

Animals are normally better at sensing danger and who to trust better than we can. I bet an animal would never get caught out by a dodgey car salesman.

Animals do learn and they pass what they learn on to the next generation, in a similar way to humans. Forest dwelling animals often teach their offspring that certain types of berries are toxic and should not eat them. Many generations of the group will then not eat these, withour ever seeing the effects.
You, know, there is some evidence to suggest this comes from out personal seperation from the natural world. After all, our ancestors knew what was toxic and what was good, could sense danger etc. But a 21st century kid who has grown up on video games knowing the weather will change based off the wind seems unlikely.

Old March 27th, 2011, 5:20 pm
Second Year

I read "Alex and Me" by Irene Pepperberg, it was about her work with an African Grey parrot named Alex. It was amazing what this bird could do. I would recommend reading it. It will open your eyes to the intelligence of these marvelous creatures,

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives