Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.5

Old October 26th, 2011, 2:57 am
Second Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I think he would have felt better when he died if he knew that Harry had survived and Voldemort had been destroyed. That would have made everything worth it for him, in my opinion, because what else had he been working for all those years if not for that? At least he died knowing he had told Harry the truth about his life.
Sure... but it's just my opinion that I feel Snape would have been more relieved knowing he had succeeded in his mission, rather than knowing Harry knew or understood the true Severus Snape.

Quote:
I believe that acceptance is actually the first step, not the final step, in learning to make amends for the past.
Oh, definitely. I agree. However, I think that in Snape's situation, acceptance was the final step. I don't think Snape ever wished to (or could?) entertain the notion of forgiveness. Not only of himself, but for others as well. Nevertheless, I think that perhaps in the end Snape realized and even accepted the fact that he did do wrong in his life. Some days I feel this is how Snape died, with a renewed understanding and acceptance of his murky past. Other days I don't feel this is the case. I can be so indecisive sometimes!

Quote:
The fact that he is worried about his soul when asked to kill Dumbledore makes me think he believed his soul had been healed by remorse. He didn't want to mess up again.
Totally. I'm not disputing that Snape felt remorse. I'm sure he felt plenty...

Quote:
Perhaps he never totally forgave himself, but he tried to atone for what he did and never turned back. I see that as an act of faith, and not really hopeless at all. Someone who had given up would not have had the courage or strength to keep going in those dark times. What he surrendered, it seems to me, was any kind of life for himself apart from Harry's, but I don't think he was self-pitying, but rather saw it as the sure way to make up for what he had done.
Oops, misunderstanding. I didn't mean that Snape felt the situation in which he had essentially placed himself in was hopeless, but that it was hopeless for him to further deny his guilt and his culpability. Because I do think that Snape, until perhaps his death, would have passed his guilt onto someone else rather than bear it himself. Now, of course Snape felt guilty and understood his culpability in Lily's death (though I'd bet he'd feel James or Dumbledore were in some way at more fault for her death. Of course, canon doesn't suggest this, but nor does it dissuade us from the notion.) But do we ever see canonical proof that Snape felt remorse or realized he was part of the reason why James died, or why Harry was an orphan? Methinks not. I think that for much of his life, Snape put off or refused to feel such feelings as guilt or remorse for a 'Potter'. However, I think that by the end of his life, Snape reflected on his past and realized that for him to have a part in the death of Lily, he had to have also had a part in James' death and Harry becoming an orphan. Did he feel sorry for this fact? Eh, personally, I don't think so. But did he understand this fact? Yes, I think he ultimately did. Did he want to acknowledge it? I doubt it. That's why I say he had resigned himself to a sort of hopeless acceptance, because though he probably would have rather not done so, he would have known that trying to deny culpability would have been futile and hopeless.

"Few of the birds Maester Aemon had returned as of yet. One found Stannis, though. One found Dragonstone, and a king who still cared."
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2011, 10:14 am
MODLY CREW

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.5

Closed. New version is up.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References