Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Hufflepuff House: Group Character Analysis

Old October 9th, 2011, 3:22 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Hufflepuff House: Group Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Malfoy View Post
The Hufflepuff prefect actually didn't seem so 'nice' though with some comments made about other houses(like Slytherin). It seemed out of character for a Hufflepuff to say something harsh like that. It certainly wasn't nice. You'd think Hufflepuffs would be the most likely to get along with the other houses, have friends from all the houses, and be less likely to form stereotypes about them. In a way I felt a bit like our prefect threw our 'nice' factor out the window. x_x And now I'm wondering what else we have?
I see Hufflepuffs as being very loyal to their friends, hard working, and nurturing, but also with a very strong sense of justice. If you violate their own personal sense of justice, or upset someone they care about, whether you are right or wrong, then I think "niceness' goes out the window. They're genuinely nice most of the time, to most people, but it's conditional.

I also don't view them as the least judgmental or unlikely to form stereotypes. I think that applies to Ravenclaw. They may not be noted for friendliness, but they do tend to be a bit "airy" and unusual and think outside the box. They look at things from more sides. Luna is a good example. I see Hufflepuffs in general as being more "normal" and down to earth and practical.

I view the other traits I mentioned as being more core traits than being nice. I think the prefect sounded mean because the prefect was showing loyalty to the Hufflepuff house.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?”
And I will say, “Always.”
- source unknown

Last edited by MerryLore; October 9th, 2011 at 3:55 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Second Year

Hufflepuffs are not only about being nice. This would be a too simplistic description.

Different houses can be noted by the different ways they make decisions. I see hufflepuffs as people who think of others before they think of themselves, but that doesn't mean they can't be "mean" or hard in their decision making.

The welcome letter mentions trust worthy and loyal, friendly, decent and tenacious. Also hardly intimidating. This just means hufflepuffs base their decisions more in their feelings than in facts only (this is opposite of Ravenclaws, for example). Also it means that their decisions consider the people involved first.

Hufflepuffs aren't afraid to decide in a direction that will mean more work for them (maybe this is not the case with Slytherin). If it's the best for all people involved, hufflepuffs will pull up their sleaves and face it.

But hufflepuffs aren't fools. They are badgers and stay gladly in their little holes. We don't go looking for trouble (as maybe adventurous Gryffindors would). It's not in our nature to enjoy conflicts. We try to solve them in a carefully thought through way keeping in mind the well fare of the majority involved. Again, if the best solution means work, so be it. But our best solution will avoid conflict.

I'm sorry if this post sounds a bit personal, but I am analysing the house's profile based on family members and their profiles.

Image by the lovely SadiraSnape

"Neville is the man!"

Wand: Pear, Phoenix, 14.5 in, quite flexible
HUFFLEPUFF
MagicProphecy
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:13 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I see Hufflepuffs as being very loyal to their friends, hard working, and nurturing, but also with a very strong sense of justice. If you violate their own personal sense of justice, or upset someone they care about, whether you are right or wrong, then I think "niceness' goes out the window. They're genuinely nice most of the time, to most people, but it's conditional.

I also don't view them as the least judgmental or unlikely to form stereotypes. I think that applies to Ravenclaw. They may not be noted for friendliness, but they do tend to be a bit "airy" and unusual and think outside the box. They look at things from more sides. Luna is a good example. I see Hufflepuffs in general as being more "normal" and down to earth and practical.

I view the other traits I mentioned as being more core traits than being nice. I think the prefect sounded mean because the prefect was showing loyalty to the Hufflepuff house.
Hmm....well for me personally there are a lot of instances where I have forgiven people that have not treated me nicely at all and when I get mad I don't stay mad for very long. There are people who have done things to be which would probably be considered unforgivable to a lot of people.

Some people might see this as weak and me not standing up for myself, but I think it's also a strength to still be nice and forgive people who have done something that wasn't very nice to you.

And well, I am a bit 'airy' and think outside the box....generally that comes with the territory of being an artist I suppose(which I am). So maybe I just have a little bit of Ravenclaw in me in that sense, I don't know. There was a lengthy quiz once that did sort me into Ravenclaw, and most other tests sorted me into Hufflepuff, also scored high for Slytherin sometimes. I think Gryffindor is the house I'm the furthest removed from.

I always thought that if Lily had been a Hufflepuff, she might have been more likely to have forgiven Snape.....but maybe most Hufflepuffs wouldn't either, I don't know. I just know that I've forgiven some people for horrible things before and been their friend again and I got sorted into Hufflepuff on Pottermore.

Old October 10th, 2011, 6:58 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisl_Loveheart View Post
Hufflepuffs are not only about being nice. This would be a too simplistic description.
Quote:
The welcome letter mentions trust worthy and loyal, friendly, decent and tenacious. Also hardly intimidating. This just means hufflepuffs base their decisions more in their feelings than in facts only (this is opposite of Ravenclaws, for example). Also it means that their decisions consider the people involved first.
Quote:
But hufflepuffs aren't fools. They are badgers and stay gladly in their little holes. We don't go looking for trouble (as maybe adventurous Gryffindors would). It's not in our nature to enjoy conflicts. We try to solve them in a carefully thought through way keeping in mind the well fare of the majority involved. Again, if the best solution means work, so be it. But our best solution will avoid conflict.
I've been reading up on Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and I'm typed as an ISFJ (Introverted Sensing Feeling Judging) also known as the "Nurturers". We're also described as "loyal, self-sacrificial, value harmony and security." Ring a bell? It's not surprising that many of the ISFJs consider themselves Hufflepuffs, and I'm sure it would be the case for many Hufflepuffs to type themselves as ISFJs. Like Hufflepuffs, ISFJs are considiered "nice". We prefer to stay behind the scenes, and help other people before ourselves. We don't like change or disturbance to our schedules.

I believe no-one will at first notice if Hufflepuffs were to go missing. But then, their subtle, quiet presence will be lost, and the little things they do will be missed. When the world is full of idealists, ambitious people and intellects, there are no people in the social services to help bridge the gap.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old October 10th, 2011, 7:45 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I think with most people, niceness is conditional. Otherwise, it's just being a doormat, IMO. I agree that Hufflepuffs have a strong sense of justice and of right and wrong. I think Hufflepuffs can be quite stubborn.

Quote:
I also don't view them as the least judgmental or unlikely to form stereotypes. I think that applies to Ravenclaw.
I wouldn't be so sure about that - the Ravenclaws weren't exactly open to Luna's eccentricities, and hid her belongings. IMO, Hufflepuff would see Luna as a person and a fellow House member first, and as someone a little eccentric second.

Quote:
I don't think the prefect sounded mean. I think the prefect was expressing their views on the values of Hufflepuff House and their opinion on what they consider to be opposing values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisl_Loveheart View Post
I think this describes Hufflepuff well - their decisions are about people and about feelings. This can be a strength and a weakness. It means that people count, more than material goods or prestige or other transient things. On the other hand, if loyalty is taken too far, it can become obsession or fanatacism. Loyalty must be tempered with critical thinking - one should think about who and what they are loyal to and why. Mindless, blind loyalty is dangerous, IMO.

Quote:
Given that so many Hufflepuffs chose to stay and fight in the Battle of Hogwarts, and indeed, a Hufflepuff requested that students be allowed to fight, I would say that Hufflepuffs don't back down from a fight if it's brought to them. That fits with the nature of the badger - it won't go looking for a fight, but if threatened, it fights with all it's got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Malfoy View Post
I always thought that if Lily had been a Hufflepuff, she might have been more likely to have forgiven Snape.....but maybe most Hufflepuffs wouldn't either, I don't know. I just know that I've forgiven some people for horrible things before and been their friend again and I got sorted into Hufflepuff on Pottermore.
I don't think she would. Hufflepuff does not mean doormat or overlooking hurtful behaviour. A badger is dangerous when it's injured or finds itself threatened. IMO, that fits with Hufflepuff - they won't go looking for a fight, but if one comes to them, or if someone hurts a Hufflepuff, they will give it all they've got.

That doesn't mean that a Hufflepuff won't forgive, but that they won't take being hurt lying down. They may forgive, but forgiveness doesn't mean welcoming that person back into your life. For example, one can forgive a cheating partner, but that doesn't mean being willing to get back together with them. Forgiveness doesn't mean the trust is back and it doesn't mean a willingness to put oneself back in the same situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
I believe no-one will at first notice if Hufflepuffs were to go missing. But then, their subtle, quiet presence will be lost, and the little things they do will be missed. When the world is full of idealists, ambitious people and intellects, there are no people in the social services to help bridge the gap.
I like that way of putting it - Hufflepuffs are the people who put people first. Not the most noticeable, but their absence is noticeable.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old October 10th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I think Hufflepuffs are the kind of people who would do all the behind the scene stuff. You don't notice them until they are gone.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old April 14th, 2012, 5:59 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Stay tuned for a new version reflecting the Pottermore info!

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References