Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Gryffindor House: Group Character Analysis

Old January 27th, 2011, 11:42 am
Zonko's Employee

Re: Gryffindor House: Group Character Analysis

Excellent post, lucky_charms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I agree, there. I think there are likeable and unlikeable characters in every house. I think people from every house made good and bad decisions. I think the characteristics of every house can become a negative if untempered by a measure of an opposite trait. Gryffindor courage with some common sense, Hufflepuff loyalty with some critical thinking, Slytherin ambition with respect for the rights of others, Ravenclaw logic with feeling. Using both head and heart, in other words.
This.

Quote:
However, I think that it is equally lacking in shades of grey to paint Gryffindor as unpleasant arrogant characters lacking any good traits, and Slytherin as "misunderstood" characters who don't really do anything wrong. This, IMO, is every bit as much a blunt black and white analysis as a "Gryffindors are good, Slytherins are bad" analysis.
As much as AldebaranBlack's post entertained me (and it really did ), I could not agree more.

I do think the reason why some readers react against Gryffindor is that the House is so obviously Rowling's favourite. However, the portrayal is balanced out by Rowling's vivid characters: Hermione the bossy quasi-Ravenclaw, Dumbledore the premier Gryffindor with strong Slytherin tendencies, Peter the sycophant, etc etc.

To me, one of the best Gryffindors in the entire series is Neville. Hands down. Yes, even more than Harry (and I love Harry!) Harry lacks some wisdom which prevents him, for me, from being the 'perfect' hero. But then, of course, this series is not about 'perfect' heroes.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; January 27th, 2011 at 11:44 am.
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:06 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I like Neville as well for that reason, Pearl. He showed so much character development to me. He really grew into his bravery unlike Harry who was always brave from the beginning. I'm not criticizing Harry but I think that's what makes Neville so appealing.

Old January 27th, 2011, 12:26 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
Lion: A preening animal (Harry) that relies on females (Hermione) to do the hard work.
I'm not sure if I agree, but I really like this comparison!

Old January 27th, 2011, 3:27 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
I'm not sure if I agree, but I really like this comparison!
Well it could be said of all the big cats. Lucky the Gryffindors were not big cats, just simply schoolchildren.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 7:54 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
The flaws are what makes Gryffindor (and the others) a House made up of individual people rather than clones. And at the end of the series I came out with a positive view of Gryffindor as a whole, though probably not as positive as when I started reading (actually I used to identify with Gryffindor most, but now I favor Ravenclaw more strongly).
That makes a lot of sense. I think that no two Gryffindors are alike, because no two people are alike. Even twins have their own distinct personalities. For me, I started out thinking Gryffindors were like jocks, sort of like the heros of the school. Later, I realised they're very human and make mistakes. Even Dumbledore, who is a mentor and one of the greatest wizards of all times, isn't quite as noble as we expect. He is quite a machiavellian, he's been pulling quite a lot of strings. But I do like that quality. It shows that even heroes aren't all good. That there's a bit of a grey area with everyone.

Quote:
Afer all, it's unrealistic to think that all Gryffindors are the most wonderful people and all Slytherins are evil.
I agree. I identify with Gryffindor House, because courage is the quality I admire the most. But I do believe that they're not perfect. Good and evil are just fragments of people's minds.

Quote:
One random comment - if I had to pick my favorite Gryffindor trait, I'd choose courage. I find this to be the most admirable quality that Gryffindors display, and it's a trait that is so important to the story. I especially admire the type of courage like Neville's that may be a bit quieter but no less valid.
Neville's courage is the one I like. There's something very pure about it. He's shown that very brand of courage since the first book-his willingness to stand up to the Trio, even though he knows he could lose the only friends he had. He's willing to admit he is not strong in duelling. He got injured at the end of HBP because he duelled the Death Eaters. In DH, he took a complete turn. Instead of doing what he was weak in, he used plants to fight off the Death Eaters. Herbology is his niche, and in DH, he uses this niche to contribute to fighting Voldemort.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)

Last edited by MC2456; February 4th, 2011 at 9:55 am.
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
Neville's courage is the one I like. There's something very pure about it. He's shown that very brand of courage since the first book-his willingness to stand up to the Trio, even though he knows he could lose the only friends he had. He's willing to admit he is not strong in duelling. He got injured at the end of HBP because he duelled the Death Eaters. In DH, he took a complete turn.
I agree. And the reason Neville's courage is so 'pure', IMO, is because he's never had much pressure from others to be brave, nor many opportunities to try it out. Harry, on the other hand, has been forced from the age of 11 to behave in a mature and bold manner, whether he particularly felt like it or not. So while Harry was off fighting dragons or thwarting Voldemort, Neville spent his first 5 or 6 years at Hogwarts quietly building up his courage, so that when the time came... he would be ready. By the seventh book, Harry was watched eagerly by nearly everyone in the wizarding world. He was to be their fearless hero. That's a lot of pressure on the poor guy! I don't think anyone expected anything spectacular from Neville, and yet because of his pure heart and faithful attitude, he was able to face his fears.
So the Sorting Hat does know what it's doing.

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Old April 14th, 2012, 6:01 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Stay tuned for a new version reflecting the Pottermore info!

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References