Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Should prostitution be made legal?

Old April 15th, 2010, 8:54 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
I know, but even in plain prostitution, the prevalent attitude seems to be disrespect. And the distance from that to abuse is short. In my opinion, that's why prostitutes are so often abused. The proper attitude, as I see it, should be paying for a professional service and being aware that you're receiving it from a human being like you get your money from a bank worker. However, it seems to me that more often than not the attitude is that you don't receive a service, but pay to use an object/commodity. When a person loses his/her humanity and becomes merely an object to be used, that's where my problem is with prostitution: dehumanization of the workers. Prostitutes should be treated with respect like any other worker would be. Unfortunately, it seems that they rarely are, and that's due to the nature of what they do. Until these attitudes change, I am reluctant to agree with legalizing prostitution. And yes, I do realise I'm talking idealistic, not realistic, notions.
If prostitution was legalised and properly regulated, it could be brought into the light and humane standards could be applied and enforced. Banning it and keeping it in the shadows won't solve the problems men and women in the industry face. As for dehumanisation, you can get that in non-prostitution casual sex, where both or one person involved is merely interested in sex, rather than the person they are having it with.

Old April 15th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Fifth Year

Thinking about tha matter more, although I think legalization would bring more protection for thw women (and men) involved in prostitution, they would most likely still be mistreated. The way prostitutes are treated has not so much to do with the fact that their job is illegal but with people's sexist attitudes toward women in general, especially women who are not "virtuous." People would need to stop viewing women as objects that exist solely for men's pleasure for prostitutes to really have the protection they need.

Old June 11th, 2010, 7:20 pm
Seventh Year

To answer the question posed by the title of this thread: Absolutely not.

Old June 12th, 2010, 6:08 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressofRaven View Post
People would need to stop viewing women as objects that exist solely for men's pleasure for prostitutes to really have the protection they need.
I agree. I think one of the reasons why women are viewed as pleasure objects (this is just my theory) is because women are beautiful & their beauty is so massive that it's almost like living art, a living object. For example, Helen of Troy's beauty sent a thousand ships after her; Aphrodite is the goddess of love, beauty, & sexuality (& she's a woman ); Madame de Pompadour, although a mistress to Louis XV, was beautiful & had power behind the politics; Cleopatra VII was beautiful & used her wit & charm to influence powerful men.

To tie things back to topic, I think prostitution should be legal. Maybe not using the word(s) prostitution/prostitute/hooker could reduce the dehumanization view? Maybe give a professional/official title instead? I also thought legalizing prostitution would require prostitutes to get mandatory HIV/STD testing.

Even though we're humans, we're still mammals & I believe our primitive instincts are superior & this includes the need for sex or some sort of sexual release, although some people have strong will power & we show restrain to some inappropriate acts (like knocking out a woman with a rock to the head to take her back to your cave ). I also don't believe selling sex is dehumanizing. Think about: the person selling sex is in charge & has the power. You got something that they want & you have the power to say no, yes, stop, whatever. He/she is still going to take the money & the person receiving the service can't do anything about it because this business is all about secrecy.

Old June 12th, 2010, 1:02 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

The last paragraph of the previous post made me think about male prostitution - I mean men who sexually serve women - as the need for sexual release was mentioned as basis for the existence of prostitution, then why is the overwhelming majority of prostitutes serving men? Do women not have as big a need for sexual release? As with any argument which relies on widely spread but dubiously supported ideas about the sexes' biological differences, I'm very sceptical about it. I'm inclined to believe it's men's thousands of years of unchallenged entitlement over women's bodies which is responsible for the still widely spread practice of prostitution, and not so much primary instincts and needs. This would explain the comparatively meagre business for gigolos, too.

Old June 12th, 2010, 3:04 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
The last paragraph of the previous post made me think about male prostitution - I mean men who sexually serve women - as the need for sexual release was mentioned as basis for the existence of prostitution, then why is the overwhelming majority of prostitutes serving men? Do women not have as big a need for sexual release? As with any argument which relies on widely spread but dubiously supported ideas about the sexes' biological differences, I'm very sceptical about it. I'm inclined to believe it's men's thousands of years of unchallenged entitlement over women's bodies which is responsible for the still widely spread practice of prostitution, and not so much primary instincts and needs. This would explain the comparatively meagre business for gigolos, too.
I agree. Society has produced men who openly want/expect their sexual needs to be met, but it has produced women who oppress themselves sexually and are overly modest. Girls feel dirty or are excluded by their peers if they have sex/are openly sexual, but with guys it's something to advertise in order to fit in. There are many gender issues attached to sexuality and sexual expression, but thankfully I think most of these are being eroded. I don't know many women who are uncomfortable with themselves sexually, which is a big plus in the modern age and a step towards gender equality.

However, the prostitution industry supports this old belief that men are to dominate over women, women are to serve the needs of men, and that men need to sexually express themselves more than women. I am torn on where to stand on this one. On one hand, it makes it safer for all parties involved by applying government regulations, but on the other hand it legitimises the selling of women. Though admittedly, I would probably be more eager to legalise it if there was something for women to gain (i.e. if there was an actual business in male prostitutes) but the exchange is entirely one sided. Men no longer get prosecuted for buying women, and women are bought. It seems very unfair.

Plus, one must remember that in days of old, those that turned to prostituting themselves were those who could not get a job elsewhere because they were a woman, and women did not work. In a more modern application, it's due to low-paying day jobs, or lack of work. Is this sexist nature of the labour market still an issue in this debate? Do we need to address the largely part-time nature of women's work, or the new prominence of single mothers with small incomes? Or are we just assuming that these prostitutes become prostitutes because they want to, not because they 'have' to?

Old June 18th, 2010, 7:14 am
Seventh Year

I wonder how many of you support abortion for the sole reason that if the girl/woman didn't get it, she would hurt her own body more? Isn't there the same matter with prostitution? If a woman needs money to support herself (and possibly a child), a law against prostitution isn't going to prevent her from selling her body for a substantial amount of money. It's not like there are many women who would whore themselves out if they didn't feel they needed to do it to live decently.

I also don't understand why society has a minor problem with women who practically do the same thing for free with the only differences being cash and discrimination. Why is one act okay, but then suddenly wrong when it's done for money?

Old June 18th, 2010, 9:16 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
I wonder how many of you support abortion for the sole reason that if the girl/woman didn't get it, she would hurt her own body more? Isn't there the same matter with prostitution? If a woman needs money to support herself (and possibly a child), a law against prostitution isn't going to prevent her from selling her body for a substantial amount of money. It's not like there are many women who would whore themselves out if they didn't feel they needed to do it to live decently.
But, that doesn't make it right or that I should support it. Prostitution is not the only option in this case.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives