Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis

Old August 13th, 2007, 6:53 pm
First Year

Re: Minerva McGonagall: Character Analysis

I found it strange that she's never made more use of her animagus form. It seems to have been forgotten after the first book. I only remembered she could turn into a cat while re-reading DH, at the point where it shows her patronus is one.

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2007, 8:35 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ink View Post
I found it strange that she's never made more use of her animagus form. It seems to have been forgotten after the first book. I only remembered she could turn into a cat while re-reading DH, at the point where it shows her patronus is one.
I strongly suspect she was using her animagus form during her Order work in OoTP. Her form is probably well-known, though, so using it to wander on into DE camp isn't advisable - many DE children have seen her transform.

That being said, it is sort of curious that we only see it a few times in the books.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 14th, 2007, 1:32 am
Third Year

Heh, I personally loved McGonagall more in this book than any other - and that's saying something. I love her relationship with Harry - how Harry could get so angry at seeing her being treated badly and stepped on, and her in turn to be glowing with pride over having him in her house, and to do whatever it took to follow Dumbledore's orders on Harry's word, and yet keeping to her strict personality as she reminded him to hop to it in the Great Hall ;P

The use of Unforgivable Curses in this book I actually enjoyed compared with a lot of controversy I've heard from others. Harry using Crucio gave me an idea of the loyalty he felt to her and to Gryffindor and even the school, which she in a way represents. Her using Imperio just after that left me feeling as if it was her way of saying 'it's okay' to Harry. I know they're not curses to toy with, but I by that point, I can understand where McGonagall's coming from. Here are the people who have been getting kids to torture other kids while she's been powerless to prevent it, and has actually been forced to turn kids over to them if they're misbehaving and she can't get them off. They were actually just talking about how the DEs would blame the Ravenclaws for the Mark burning. It could have been a way for McGonagall to siphon off some frustration, while using Amycus almost as despicably as he's treated human life for the past year in Hogwarts.

And while I realize this is no excuse for the Curse, but just the fact that she used it almost humourously rather than to hurt him didn't make me feel at all put off to her character. I actually found it rather amusing, and I liked her even more because of it.

Of course, it all depends on personal tastes.

Old August 14th, 2007, 1:48 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

1 As a teacher, head of house and Deputy Headmistress.
- Is she impartial or does she show favouritism.
- Other

She isn't perfect... but from where I stand she seems to be unbiased.

2 Do you think she is the right person to become Headmistress? Why?

Yep, I think that she is, she's good at being a teacher... has a general good rapport with the students. She's more strict than Dumbledore was, but she cares for the students and faculty about as much as he did and I think she'll make one heck of a headmistress .

3 Where do you think her main loyalty lies?
- The school
- The Order
- Other

I think that they lie with both the School and the Order, moreso in some ways with the school though. She does her best to try and keep both the staff and students safe from harm and that's a good thing.

4 Has her character changed through the series? How?

Yep, she's become a more compassionate character and her sense of humor really started to shine through in OOTP . She cares about the school and the safety and welfare of both the students and the staff under her care.

5 What, if any, has her impact on Harry been?

She has been a good influence, even offering to help him back in OOTP, so he can become an Auror.

6 What do you think of her role in DH? Do you think she was effective in protecting students from the Carrows?

I thought that she would have had a larger role, but I think for the most part that she was effective as she could have been in protecting the students from the Carrows.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old August 16th, 2007, 9:50 pm
Second Year

I think shes incredible in DH, her fight scene is awesome and i love the way she has pride because harry is in her house, this is reinforeced when harry crucios the carrow because he spat at her - awesome. Real loyalty between the two and when she screams at harrys body, she is softie at heart but theres being a lot thorought other books to show she is as well. Go Minerva!!

Old September 22nd, 2007, 11:10 am
Fifth Year

Minerva has always been a strong character, and I for one am happy she survived. She came out, in the battle didn't she...we've never seen her that strong....even in HBP, we only saw her partly in battle, but in DH she was grand. Her reaction when she thought Harry was dead............priceless!

M.McGonagall
Headmistress, Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Old September 22nd, 2007, 5:13 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

- Other

Most of the time she is impartial, but we do see she is a softie underneath and she has shown favouritism. For example, in PS she let Harry join the Quidditch team when other teachers would have instead punished him.

2. Do you think she is the right person to become Headmistress? Why?

I think she would have been a good Headmistress if she had had the chance (she still might have done post-DH). She would have been awesome...a lot like Dumbledore I can imagine...only stricter

3. Where do you think her main loyalty lies?
- The school
- The Order
- Other

Primarily, her loyalty lies to Dumbledore and to the school. She trusted what Dumbledore said. The school would be her first priority as she cares for the students within it. Then next the Order because she could not sit by and watch Voldemort take over - she is a true Gryffindor at heart.

We see her soften up as we get further through the series. In PS we just saw her as the tough, strict teacher who would put you in detention in an instant, but as she gets closer to Harry we see her true soft side

Other than being a good teacher, she has supported him throughout his school career and I think that's the best you can hope for from a teacher.

6 What do you think of her role in DH? Do you think she was effective in protecting students from the Carrows?

Oh most definitely. She wouldn't have been happy that Snape was Headmaster, and I believe she would have held a rebellion with the teachers if the students weren't at risk. I think also she would have been more lax on students. For example if a student didn't do their homework she wouldn't give them a detention, becase detention would probably entail being in the dungeons with Filch...

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old September 23rd, 2007, 2:53 am
I want to believe

1 As a teacher, head of house and Deputy Headmistress. - Is she impartial or does she show favouritism. - Other
McGonagall is very impartial most of the time, though she does root for the Gryffindor Quidditch team. She certainly doesn't show nearly as much favoritism as Snape does with Slytherin House, but as head of Gryffindor I would expect that she would show a slight bias to her house - it's only natural. We're told that she gives out points to members of her own house, so she is shown as being pretty impartial.

Yes, she was the logical person to become Headmistress since she was already Deputy Headmistress. She has shown a lot of loyalty to Dumbledore and to the school during the story, so I think there really was no other person for the job.

3 Where do you think her main loyalty lies? - The school - The Order - Other
I'd say with both the school and the Order - after all, Dumbledore was also loyal to both Hogwarts and the Order. I think her loyalty for both is shown throughout the books in many different ways.

I'm not sure she really changes persay, I think we just get to know her better as the story progresses. In the earlier books, she's just the strict Transfiguration teacher. But starting in OotP, we get to see more of her involvement in helping the Order, fighting against the Death Eaters/Umbridge's squads. And we see a sense of humor from her too in OotP with her telling Peeves the lightbulb unscrews the other way.

I think she's been a great source of encouragement for Harry. First, she brings him aboard the Quidditch team and gives him his own broomstick even though it's against the rules for First Years to have their own. She also tells Harry in front of Umbridge that if he wanted to be an Auror then no one would stand in his way. McGonagall seems to care for Harry a great deal, and she looks out for him too.

I was surprised that she would use the Imperius Curse, but I guess as was pointed out earlier in the thread, what she did with it didn't particularly harm anybody. I thik she was pretty effective in protecting the students from Carrows - she did what had to be done.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 23rd, 2007, 3:19 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
What do you think of her role in DH? Do you think she was effective in protecting students from the Carrows?

I was surprised that she would use the Imperius Curse, but I guess as was pointed out earlier in the thread, what she did with it didn't particularly harm anybody. I thik she was pretty effective in protecting the students from Carrows - she did what had to be done.
I respect your opinion and I do agree with you that it seemed strange to see the curses that the Order members (including McGonagall) were willing to use in DH.

I do feel that JKR tried to make this clear to readers in the 7 Potter/Fallen Warrior chapters. She was trying to show that in self-defense, even the unforgiveables were justified against DEs that were aiming to cause serious bodily injury or death to others (or one's self). JKR used Lupin to show this and being a law student, I recognized the terminology she was using immediately and understood what he was trying to say. But I am not sure that it was widely understood by the readers.

I have seen impressions from that portion of the reading where readers felt Lupin was indicating that Harry should purposely 'kill' death eaters - even though he flat out says, 'of course not' when Harry asks him that directly. However, Harry wasn't getting the idea of self-defense being all right; in his mind, any time your curse (even a stunner) caused the death of another, it was wrong. However, that attitude would have seen Harry himself killed. Lupin was kept in character as a person who cared about Harry dearly and so his speech was a bit over-reactive and muddled - I think too much so as it apparently left some confusion in the minds of the readers.

However, Harry imo learned the lesson when Ron returned having issued a stunner on a DE - and Harry was so happy his friend was alive, he had to concede that there were times when in self-defense, such curses were warranted. (Harry said not a word to Ron against his action taken and Hermione praised Ron for his action).

I believe the above scenes were given to us in explanation of what we would see during course of the book; like Minerva's use of an unforgiveable curse. The curses she used against Snape were also quite forbidding (what a great magician she was!). However, there again, she thought she was acting in defense of herself and the student body. So I was not surprised by her action based on the information given earlier.

Old September 23rd, 2007, 3:21 am
Secret Keeper

She is very impartial, unlike Snape. I think she is a great teacher, but I would give maybe a few more points to my own house than others. I would like her much more than Snape.

She is definitely the perfect person. She is loyal to Hogwarts (just look at her and Peeves, lol), kind, knows the perfect disciplines for students, is very fair and smart. Kind of uptight, but knows where to draw the line, she is bloody brilliant!

3 Where do you think her main loyalty lies?
- The school
- The Order
- Other

Don't forget Dumbledore! However, I think her true loyalties lie with the school. I loved how she told Peeves "it unscrews the other way". it completely made me LOL. She knew Umbridge was bad for the school, just like she hated the Carrows. A person not loyal to Hogwarts would've left to avoid too much trouble, but she stayed to protect Hogwarts and the students.

I actually don't think so. She had always been so awesome, she just didn't feel a need to show it.

To me, she kind of seemed like a third motherly figure. (Lily being the first and Molly being the second) She was good at discipling, teaching and figuring people out. It was especially obvious in OoTP and DH how much Harry appreciated her. In OoTP, Ron, Hermione and Harry were talking about Umbridge examining McGonagoll, the actual examination was hilarious! Then there was Harry crucioing carrow, that was awesome! It's obvious how much he loves/likes Professor McGonagol

She definitely was. She really demonstrated her leadership/headmistress abilities in DH. I can imagine her giving out secret, better/fairer detentions for students who did something wrong. the way she planned the resistance really reminded me of Dumbledore. Whatever way she resisted the Carrows, i imagine it would be great, kind of like how she fought umbridge. It seems she's one of the few people who can control Peeves, I imagine he played a big part too.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 24th, 2007, 11:38 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageThyme View Post

She is impartial. She's the opposite of Snape who seems to go out of his way to take points from Gryffindor. You'll find McGonagall taking points from her house.

Quote:
Yes, I think she's the most qualified of the professors left. It's hard to say that, though, since we don't know much about the other professors. I do think she has the best traits to become headmistress. She's nice, but she's strict. She cares about her students.

Quote:
I don't see her character changing that much. She's the same from book 1. We do see her in a broader scope, though. We see her in the Order and we see her protecting the students and actually showing emotion for Harry, through seeing him in the Ravenclaw common room and seeing him "dead." Seeing her fight is a big change, but it's not that she changes, it's that what we see of her changes.

Quote:
I think she was like the other professors and punished the students herself as much as she could. She did a good job of protecting everyone when the Carrow sibling wanted to go inside the common room believing Harry to be there.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old October 12th, 2007, 4:22 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

I was pleasantly surprised by McGonagall's outburst of grief when she saw Harry's body in Hagrid's arms. She was always so efficient on keeping her emotions in check, so I didn't see it coming. I guess with this outburst she vented next to her grief all the frustration she felt from an entire year of seeing Hogwarts going down the drain and not being able to do something about it.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:36 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I was pleasantly surprised by McGonagall's outburst of grief when she saw Harry's body in Hagrid's arms. She was always so efficient on keeping her emotions in check, so I didn't see it coming. I guess with this outburst she vented next to her grief all the frustration she felt from an entire year of seeing Hogwarts going down the drain and not being able to do something about it.
McGonagall, as JKR said, is really a big softie at heart, and she was fonder of Harry than she allowed herself to admit. I suspect she felt bad that he'd had to grow up with the Dursleys, too- look at her reaction when Dumbledore says Harry must be left with them, and when Harry goes to her with an unsigned Hogsmeade slip.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 5:05 pm
Second Year

I'm actually really amazed at how similar her character is to the character of David Copperfield (although another thread has revealed this to be one of her recommended books to children). When I was in high school, it was one of my favourite books, and I've only now gotten to rereading it (it's my way of procrastinating studying for organic chemistry ).

As for Professor McGonagall vs. Miss Trotwood

Both characters are strict but incredibly fair. Both possess a strong dislike for the main character's neglectful family (both of which are orphans forced to live with the aforementioned neglectful families). And there are mirror scenes where, both produce an astonishingly different reaction than the "severe" punishment expected by their rigid outward demeanor.

Yvaine: "What do stars do?"
Old November 22nd, 2007, 4:16 pm
MODLY CREW

What do you think of her role in DH? Do you think she was effective in protecting students from the Carrows?

I think she rose to the occasion. It is difficult to say whether it was right or wrong of the teachers to stayat Hogwarts. They certainly had the well-being of their students in mind but their staying can be interpreted as silent support from the outside. However, I think that McGonagall was marvellous in DH. Finally, she was able to show what she is capable of. I loved her grim humour in the face of war and I admired her strength.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 1:31 pm

I think McGonagall and the other teachers were right to stay, someone needed to make sure that the students weren't tortured to death. The Carrows would certainly not have hestitated to go that far.

Has anyone any idea why McGonagall wasn't in the original Order of the Phoenix? She appeared to me as one of the most active Dumbledore supporters so it would be logical for her to have joined.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 9:08 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I think that McGonagall and Flitwick and Hagrid, among others, stayed entirely to try to mute the effect of Snape and the Carrows upon the students. In a way, they were of more use to the Order and to the fight against Voldemort at Hogwarts than they would have been outside the school grounds. I see McGonagall as providing tacit support for the DA trio and other rebelling students (much like when she gave Harry biscuits and warned him about Umbridge in OoTP and when she installed Harry as seeker is SS/PS).

As to why she wasn't in the original order, maybe it took the events of Godric's Hollow to get her into the Order? Or perhaps Dumbledore never asked her, since she was a teacher and he may have thought in the first war that he should only use people not teaching at Hogwarts? There is a bunch of possible explanations, but I don't really like any of them...I'm trying to avoid blaming it on Dumbledore distrusting McGonagall because she was a contemporary of Tom Riddle at Hogwarts. I don't think that's the explanation, so I'm searching for others, better ones.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old November 23rd, 2007, 9:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Or perhaps Dumbledore never asked her, since she was a teacher and he may have thought in the first war that he should only use people not teaching at Hogwarts?
That's not such a bad suggestion. It actually makes a lot of sense if you consider that apart from Snape and Hagrid only McGonagall was in the Order. Professors like Flitwick and Sprout, avid Dumbledore supporters, didn't join the Order. Dumbledore's relationship with the Ministry has always been touchy, so maybe, like you suggest, he thought it better for Hogwarts, if as much teachers as possible stayed out of the fight with Voldemort. That way when it went wrong they could not be linked to Dumbledore and their jobs were safe.

McGonagall might have insisted when Harry's parents got killed and Harry got sorted in her house to join the Order when it was reinstated. She never showed her feelings easily (until she was very provoked), but she cared for Harry in her own way. She has taught Lily and James too so that provides an extra motivation.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 9:26 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Hagrid was not a teacher during Vold War I (carefully worded statement there on my part), and Snape was a member because he was a spy and had to be a member. I think the omission of Sprout and Flitwick shows that this may be the case. And, it's completely within McGonagall's character to have her insist on joining after Godric's Hollow. In a way, her showing up on 4 Privet Drive's doorstep the entire day may have been her way of initiating herself into the Order.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post

Hagrid was not a teacher during Vold War I (carefully worded statement there on my part), and Snape was a member because he was a spy and had to be a member. I think the omission of Sprout and Flitwick shows that this may be the case.
Yes I know Hagrid wasn't a teacher in Voldy War I, I was thinking more in general terms there, why some people are in the order and others not. Might have been a bit clearer there

Quote:
And, it's completely within McGonagall's character to have her insist on joining after Godric's Hollow. In a way, her showing up on 4 Privet Drive's doorstep the entire day may have been her way of initiating herself into the Order.
Hmm good point again. There was no real reason for her to be there in an official Hogwarts capacity. She showed curiosity about what happened, but it was still a bit odd. So maybe she showed her willingness to avenge the Potters in due course to Dumbledore with her presence.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References