Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Slytherin House : Group Character Analysis

Old September 25th, 2011, 2:44 pm
Second Year

Re: Slytherin House : Group Character Analysis

Having been sorted into Slytherin on Pottermore, I was initially very unpleasantly surprised. Now that I have read the House descriptions and tried to see the House more objectively, I have come to see different, more positive sides to it, although I still don't think it's the house that suits me best. After reassessing Slytherin, I was also left wondering why I had such a negative image of it in the first place.

I have come to the conclusion that it is due to the way Slytherin House in represented in the books, which I don't agree with. I think that it has definitely contributed to Slytherin's overall rather negative popular image. One thing that I think should have been described in the book for sure was the fact that Slughorn brought many of the Slytherin students back to defend Hogwarts against Voldemort. That would have been a great point to include in favour of Slytherin House. Stating more clearly that Andromeda Black was a Slytherin would also have helped, as would having Slytherin students in the DA and the Resistance movement at Hogwarts in DH.

On Pottermore: Surprisingly,Slytherin
So...Slytherclaw?
Wand: Cypress with Unicorn Core, ten inches, reasonably supple

Last edited by Silver_Arrow77; September 25th, 2011 at 2:50 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2011, 2:49 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Arrow77 View Post
I definitely don't agree with the way Slytherin House in represented in the books. One thing that I think definitely should have been described in the book was the fact that Slughorn brought many of the Slytherin students back to defend Hogwarts against Voldemort. That would have been a great point to include in favour of Slytherin House.
Especially since she has said she imagines this happening, and because it happens at a point in the series in which Harry has ceased to judge an entire House based on his personal experiences...I agree.

Quote:
as would having Slytherin students in the DA and the Resistance movement at Hogwarts in DH
This is more problematic, in my opinion. The DA was basically, Harry and his friends and people they liked/trusted. Harry did not like or trust any Slytherins in OotP.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old September 26th, 2011, 7:32 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post
This is more problematic, in my opinion. The DA was basically, Harry and his friends and people they liked/trusted. Harry did not like or trust any Slytherins in OotP.
It's too bad that Harry had such a negative opinion of Slytherins in general. It always feels like he didn't attempt to give many of them a chance based on the fact that his first encounters with anyone from that house were negative and then he seemed to view them all that way.

I think that when it came to Snape at the end of the series Harry's opinion on Slytherin seems to have changed, at least somewhat...since he no longer thinks it's a bad house to be in.

I think that it might have been better if JK Rowling had shown more positive sides to Slytherin before finally showing the positives closer to the end....but she did write the story from Harry's viewpoint.

Last edited by Kathleen Malfoy; September 26th, 2011 at 7:36 am.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 8:18 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post
Especially since she has said she imagines this happening, and because it happens at a point in the series in which Harry has ceased to judge an entire House based on his personal experiences...I agree.

I agree, Harry would not have invited any Slytherins nor Hermione who seemed to do most of the inviting. But Harry didn't know a lot of the DA members when they came to the Hog's Head. Most of the Ravenclaw's weren't his friends at all, and came along because they heard through someone else about it. And they let Zacharias Smith who they didn't like or trust either. I think if a Slytherin student came along to the Hog's head - say they had a friend in Ravenclaw who had heard about it and told their Slytherin friend. I think most of the Gryffindor's and some of the others would have objected at first. But if the Slytherin said it was unfair they were being prejudiced against them, I think the trio would have reluctantly allowed it, especially Hermione - not without probably a threat or two from Harry or Fred of George about what they'd do if the Slytherin student turned traitor on them of course. But I think it could have been done.

Old February 25th, 2012, 5:16 pm
First Year

If students of Slytherin House mentioned in the book, they were mostly 'stupid and a bully'. There are a few exceptions, but their history just has to be tainted. For example, Professor Slughorn and Regulus Black.
It seems that Slytherins if bad, they are just plain bad. But if good, there's still a catch.
And that really dissapoints me.

I also notice, most Slytherins Jo described, are 'ugly'. For example, Millicent Bultrode, and that captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team and the list could go on...

And I wonder, why Slytherin had a 7-year-streak on winning the house cup (till Harry was enrolled). If they were most deemed as not-so-bright and mean, I wonder how they even achieved all those points, and not loose a whole lot for misbehaving.

I was sorted in Slytherin in CoS. Due to my interest in 'The Dark Lord', they say. And yes, Voldemort/Tom Riddle is my favorite character, so I couldn't help but to mention him in the questionaire. But when I said that I would join the Death Eaters if Voldemort went all bibbity-bobbity-boop and make himself look like his younger self again, I of course was joking. If the Harry Potter story were all real, and I were in it, I know in the end, even if he did go 'bibbidy boppidy boop', I'd still fight for Hogwarts.

But of all the houses, I think Slytherins are the most intriguing characters. Because they are mostly flawed, and you are as boring as you are perfect, I believe.

I really found it unfair, and it is probably the only thing I hate Jo Rowling for. How she made Slytherin House do nothing to redeem themselves during the Battle of Hogwarts, how she still made them the sterotypical Slytherins, and not the "Not all Slytherins are bad" thing that she said herself but failed to live up to.

I think all the houses recieve unfairness, except Gryffindor. (Not meaning to offend anyone sorted there)

But throughout the story, Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs were like 'sidekicks'. Then Slytherin is bad, and Gryffindor is 'good'. Overall, the story seemed too biased over Gryffindor. I barely see any flaws Jo has written for the Gryffindors. Most, if not all the Gryffindors (except Peter Pettigrew) are loveable, funny, smart, and brave people, and are valuable to the story. And if they make trouble, everybody loves them for it in the end anyways.

Old February 25th, 2012, 7:30 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcipher View Post

And I wonder, why Slytherin had a 7-year-streak on winning the house cup (till Harry was enrolled). If they were most deemed as not-so-bright and mean, I wonder how they even achieved all those points, and not loose a whole lot for misbehaving.
I don't believe it is ever insinuated that Slytherins in general lack intelligence. Only a few are really described like that, and such physical appearances would most likely be found in all houses.

Quote:
But throughout the story, Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs were like 'sidekicks'. Then Slytherin is bad, and Gryffindor is 'good'. Overall, the story seemed too biased over Gryffindor. I barely see any flaws Jo has written for the Gryffindors. Most, if not all the Gryffindors (except Peter Pettigrew) are loveable, funny, smart, and brave people, and are valuable to the story. And if they make trouble, everybody loves them for it in the end anyways.
Well, the story is from Harry's point of view. And as Harry is in Gryffindor, and therefore is surrounded by like-minded people, he is bound to compliment them. It only appears like the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs are sidekicks because the story is focused mainly within the Gryffindor house. In truth, it seems as though there are a decent amount of characters from each house who give positive contributions.

Regardless, I do agree with your assessment on Slytherin. However, the situation must be taken into account. Slytherin has long been associated (unfairly or fairly, I cannot say) with Dark magic and prejudice, and as such, it seems like people in general (not including the Slytherins themselves) feel aversion for them. So, the blame of Slytherin's overall appearance cannot be placed solely on the house itself. It is true that Slytherin does not necessarily redeem itself by "fighting", so to speak, but they do show their strengths in small ways. Draco Malfoy, Severus Snape, Regulus Black, and Horace Slughorn are amongst the Slytherins who have an ounce of remorse and a bit of a backbone. Is it evident to the reader in a very clean cut way? No, it is not. But that is the nature of Slytherin. They are essentially the ones who perform small good deeds in the shadows.

Now, of course, it is shown that Slytherin holds many prejudiced wizards and witches. In my opinion, sorting does not necessarily place a person based on their personaliy, but their values. If you value blood purity, you would make an excellent Slytherin. If you value ambition and power and cleverness, Slytherin would gladly welcome you. The reason Harry's choice in not going to Slytherin is so significant is because his values do not lie in such areas.

Last edited by JohanT; February 25th, 2012 at 7:33 pm.
Old February 25th, 2012, 9:14 pm
First Year

Quote:
Well, the story is from Harry's point of view. And as Harry is in Gryffindor, and therefore is surrounded by like-minded people, he is bound to compliment them. It only appears like the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs are sidekicks because the story is focused mainly within the Gryffindor house. In truth, it seems as though there are a decent amount of characters from each house who give positive contributions.
Yes, I have considered this while writing. But if the other houses' small characters were ever mentioned, that's how they appear most of the time.

Quote:
Slytherin has long been associated (unfairly or fairly, I cannot say) with Dark magic and prejudice, and as such, it seems like people in general
And since the hat takes your choice into account, I guess a lot of students plead 'Not Slytherin, not Slytherin" just like Harry, even if they have all the qualities Salazar values... And it become such a bad bunch....
But still, I was hoping for them to have some redemption, so they wouldn't have such a bad rap.

Old April 4th, 2012, 4:25 pm
First Year

There are so many moments where JKR could have injected some House unity into DH. The Room of Requirement before the final battle - why not have a few representatives of Slytherin in there? Then there could have been a whole scene where Ron (or someone) explodes and is all what are THEY doing here and JKR could have had a Slytherin explain that just because they're in a certain House does not mean automatically that they support Voldemort - that even if they are pure-blood supremacists (which not all Slytherins would be), that doesn't mean they condone the Carrows' regime.
The Great Hall scene - it would have been so beautiful and poignant if only one Slytherin, one of the minor ones like Theodore Nott or Daphne Greengrass, stood up and demanded to stay. Pansy Parkinson doesn't speak for the whole of Slytherin.

Not all Slytherins are pure-blood bigots. And even if they are - what a lot of people often forget is that even if you have a certain belief system, doesn't mean you condone violence in the name of your beliefs. Also, even if they don't like Harry - they can still like Hogwarts, can't they? The final battle wasn't just a battle for Harry - it was a battle for Hogwarts, for their school.

Old April 7th, 2012, 2:14 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadfulpenny View Post
Also, even if they don't like Harry - they can still like Hogwarts, can't they? The final battle wasn't just a battle for Harry - it was a battle for Hogwarts, for their school.
I think Rowling wrote the scene with Pansy so that it would seem reasonable to the audience that everyone then turned their wands at the SLytherin table, and McGonagall told them to leave. Because it takes two to have unity.

The RoR is the same principle. Those were all kids from the DA. If you check back to OotP you will realize no Slytherins were in the DA, because the group was formed by invitation only, and no one informed or invited any SLytherins to it.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 14th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Stay tuned for a new version!

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References