Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Gryffindor House: Group Character Analysis

Old July 13th, 2007, 1:00 am
Unspeakable

Gryffindor House: Group Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of the Gryffindors. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Gryffindor House: Group Character Analysis

Is there a predominant quality that a Gryffindor must have in order to be a Gryffindor?

Bravery seems to be the predominant characteristic, but you have students like Neville, Percy, and Peter Pettigrew in Gryffindor...What might be the quality of Bravery in its relation to choices that Godric is looking for?

Does this predominant quality for Gryffindor trump other qualities that might place someone in one of the other houses?

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Gryffindors would decide differently?

What are the significance of Fire and the Lion to Gryffindor?

What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Gryffindor House from a literary perspective?

What new thoughts do you have on Gryffindor post DH?

Last edited by Jessica; July 23rd, 2007 at 9:46 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 9:39 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Gryffindor House: Group Character Analysis

Yeah, Pettigrew being pretty much a coward doesn't seem to fit into Gryffindor at all. It must simply be that he fit even worse everywhere else. Or that he didn't fit anywhere, and the hat gave him a choice, and he choose Gryffindor. Maybe he already had talked to Sirius and Lupin on the train, and Lupin was friendly to him, and Sirius was totally cool, so he wanted to be in the same house?

And, when I now have tried to "type" the other houses, I feel I owe it to Gryffindor to do the same. Gryffindors are typically sensing-feelers, I think. Not sure.

The Polyphonic Spree.
Old August 27th, 2007, 9:02 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
Welcome to the post-DH discussion of the Gryffindors. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Gryffindor House: Group Character Analysis

Is there a predominant quality that a Gryffindor must have in order to be a Gryffindor?

Bravery seems to be the predominant characteristic, but you have students like Neville, Percy, and Peter Pettigrew in Gryffindor...What might be the quality of Bravery in its relation to choices that Godric is looking for?

Does this predominant quality for Gryffindor trump other qualities that might place someone in one of the other houses?

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Gryffindors would decide differently?

What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Gryffindor House from a literary perspective?

Well from the books we have been told that bravery & courage is a predominant factor in being sorted into Gryffindor. We saw in book 1 that Harry made the choice ultimately to be in Gryffindor, could it be possible that the hat wasn't sure which house to sort Pettigrew into & he also chose to be in Gryffindor because he really wanted to?

Neville at first seems to be in the wrong house, but he grows throughout the series, particularly in HBP & DH. Killing Nagini was possibly one of the bravest acts of DH, because Nagini's death was right in front of Voldemort - Neville was lucky not to be killed at this point. It's possible that he believed he would be killed for doing so & made the choice to kill Nagini anyway.

Percy - well his bravery shone out in a different way. It took a large amount of courage to return and fight alongside his family after everything that he had said & done to his family in the previous books.

I think ultimately that in Gryffindor, JKR is showing that there are different types of bravery and courage and that individual people will display bravery in different ways, although I'm still at a loss as to what bravery Pettigrew had.

I don't think that bravery would trump other qualities. We see that Luna is in Ravenclaw and other DA members are from different houses. They are all brave to take part in the DA & come back to fight at Hogwarts, so I don't think that bravery is a trait that will trump other qualities. It's hard to say because i'm not the sorting hat

Because of Edward Cullen...I'm staying single until I find a vampire
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:23 pm
First Year

Quote:

but you have students like Neville
Like Neville? I think that Neville is one of THE most bravest people in DH! He has all those rebellions against the Carrows and reforms the DA! Also he is quite brave throughout the series really with how he copes with the insanity of his parents!!! Not to mention the death of Nagini and everything like that! Neville Longbottom is a true Gryffindor through and through.

Hufflepuff and proud.

only 300x300px allowed
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:44 pm
Fifth Year

The Gryffindor house is very confusing,as someone said,alot of people from other houses stayed and fought in the battle of Hogwarts,showing great bravery.I think houses sorting is not based solely on your abilities but your priorities.Just because you in Gryffindor doesn't necessarily mean you'll be braver then people in other houses,but that it's your greatest quality.

Old September 7th, 2007, 12:13 am
I want to believe

I'm thinking bravery would be the predominant quality for Gryffindor, closely followed by boldness/daring.

Neville has just as much bravery as Harry IMO. Percy had the courage to go back to his family after all he'd done and admit he was wrong. Peter...I'm not really sure about him.

I don't think so, I think it's a matter of balancing what a person values most with what traits that person has when they are sorted. I'd say a person's choice plays a large part in which House they're ultimately sorted into.

I'd say any decision which takes a person away from necessary danger (ie going through a dangerous situation to save someone else) would not be a choice a Gryffindor would make, though perhaps students of other houses might.

Fire represents Gryffindor accurately because Gryffindors are fiery people. The lion is the symbol of courage, bravery, nobility, splendor, power, majesty, strength, pride, and boldness. These characteristics fit Gryffindor characteristics pretty well.

I think the literary purpose of Gryffindor and all the houses is to balance out the others. Gryffindor is a place for people who are bold and daring and physically strong. The other Houses embody different kinds of strength.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:29 am
Fifth Year

Wormtail was the odd man out, wasn't he......Neville, on the other hand showed how brave he was, from the fight with Malfoy in the first book to the end. Bravery and loyalty seem to be the two pillars holding up Gryffindor house.

Old September 20th, 2007, 11:24 am
First Year

From the respect that Dumbledore said its the choices people make, I like to believe that Peter Pettigrew was just like Neville in his years at school. Pettigrew was shy and befriended someone with noticeable qualities of Gryffindor - and Neville did the same.

I think that he had the qualities for Gryffindor, but he made bad choices, like Percy, and came back to own up for it in the end - although I'm not sure if Pettigrew's own death was a conscious decision on his part.

Enjoy the ride. It'll all be over soon enough.
Matsume_Kazuo
Old October 2nd, 2007, 9:29 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I don't know forsure if it is the predominant quality, but for me the biggest trait that pops out is bravery and the courage to stand up to others.

Quote:
Percy and Neville were brave in that they had the ability to stand up for what they believed in even if it went against the common trend. The bravery to be loyal when it isn't the popular choice. We saw this in Neville when he stood up to the trio. We see this in Percy when he stands up to his family. Even though he was wrong and admits it later, he believed what he was doing was right.

As for Peter, he is a wild card. It is so hard to look at him and give him an accurate assessment when you know what he became. To try and find things like bravery and loyality is hard when every scene we see with him (no animagus form) he is anything but those things, but it is possible he had them earlier in life.

Quote:
I think so. For me Hermione is the best example of this. She would have fit right in Ravenclaw perfectly, but I think the sorting hat saw her imeanse bravery and but her in Gryffindor.

Quote:
In the final battle when all the Slytherins decided to save themselves instead of bravely fight. Of course the other houses agreed to fight showing that they all had an element of bravery within them.

Quote:
I love this question.

The Fire is there because each house responds to a specific Element. (Slytherin=water, Ravenclaw=air, Hufflepuff=earth, Gryffindor=fire). I think Gryffindors tend to display this "fire" element in their personalities as they are more quickly to fly off the handle or can be described as being quick tempered or a firery personality. I think we see this in many Gryffindors...Lily standing up to James, Ron and his attitude, Ginny's fire, Sirius' flying off the handle at Snape, Harry and his angst, Lupin in DH when we see the werewolf across his face, etc.

The Lion, being a symbol of king of the jungle brings images of nobility and regality. To the house. It reminds me of Aslan in The Chronicles of Narnia. He was gentle, loving, and comforting but he was wild, untammed, and fierce. These are all qualities of a Gryffindor to me.

Quote:
I guess i dont' really have any new feelings about them. Besides that they proved themselves worthy of being a Gryffindor. Especially Nevelle.

Old March 8th, 2008, 9:10 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Bravery and a particular bold and daring kind of person.

Neville proved himself to have that streak of defiance and bravery by the time we got to DH. I think that the Sorting Hat saw it all along, but Neville just took a long time to develop. He was always a true Gryffindor.

As for Percy, well I think it took a lot of bravery to leave the comforts of his home and start a new life for himself away from the rest of the family. Stupid, but brave. And he stayed and fought in the battle.

And Pettigrew doesn't seem to have an ounce of bravery, or even pride for that matter.

I don't think so. Bravery has been shown throughout the others houses as well. I think it depends on what traits people hold higher than others.

I can't think of any exmaples, but a Ravenclaw would definitely think about all of the options first, before running in rashly and doing something. Typically it is recognised that a Slytherin would chicken out (although I recognise that that wouldn't always be the case).

I think that Gryffindors can show certain aspects of anger, passion and hot headed thinking.

I think because her main character needed to be a brave character for the purposes of the story. Also, JKR says that she values bravery very highly and higher than any other trait in the series.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old July 29th, 2009, 3:37 am
First Year

A sense of justice above all else, I think, seems to be the dividing line. This is clearly reflected in every Gryffindor.

Well, Neville stands up on numerous occasions, even through his fear, to do what he thinks is right. Misled, shaking in his boots or whatever the case, he definitely seems to have a sense of courage about him to do what is right despite the risk. He is extremely noble for all the right reasons and for that (despite his love of plants, sensitivity and peaceably nature, which all seem to indicate a Huffelpuff) is a worthy Gryffindor. As far as Peter and Percy, the sorting hat makes his judgement based on the potential of an eleven year old. When entering the school, their child-like enthusiasm and dreams were probably much more black & white than upon leaving. This potential I think was always in both of them (more so Percy, obviously for a number of reasons) and simply had to be called upon. In the end Percy chose to call upon that potential, Peter did not.

Oddly, it seems to. Possibly because of fate in the way of Harry and the kind of people he would need around him, or maybe even just because the hat (and Godric) wish to see the very best in people and hoped that by affirming a sense of justice/bravery within a person and nurturing it with like-minded company they could cultivate this trait in those too scared to accept it within themselves.

It's difficult to think of decisions students from other houses have made with the story set so predominantly *in* Gryffindor, but I think they definitely have a propensity for diving in to a dangerous situation with hesitation, whereas other students would probably hesitate, run in the other direction or try and weigh their options before "diving in".

I think, the story being set in Great Britain, and it's historical use of the lion as a symbol of a strong "good" triumphing over evil it makes sense (i.e.- the phrase "heart of a lion") There is also the physical likeness between lions and griffins.

I think, because the story centers around situations that call so highly on a sense of justice and fool-hardy (if not still admirable) bravery, it was important to distinguish that this quality is an unusual one, therefore making it clear that not everyone would willing go to the lengths Harry goes for the greater good.

Well, DH never had an affect on my thoughts of the house, or any other house for that matter.

Proud Ravenclaw!
Old July 30th, 2009, 4:33 am
First Year

I don't think its so much bravery or courage that the hat looks for in gryffindors, so much as a certain degree of nerve and daring. Bravery is just a positive manifestation of daring, so it would be a much publicized quality of gryffindors. Negative manifestations would be recklessness and hotheadedness, which would, in all likelyhood, land you in gryffindor.

Old July 30th, 2009, 5:26 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
I didn't realize this thread existed. Glad to see it.

Quote:
unwaivering bravery - which means even if fear and hesitation seep in, they will always come through in the end and do whatever they must. They are inherently brave, rather than it being a learned behavior I think. The oddest thing brought this home to me actually - a very small and insignificant little occurrence in HBP. That was when Dean crushed the glass in his hand and didn't even seem to notice. I don't know why it only came to me in that moment that Gryffindors were inherently brave, like it or not, but I did. Not so much the act, but Dean's total disregard of it.

Quote:
They were all inherently brave - just hesitant to embrace it - but eventually in the story they all did, imo. I don't think it has anything to do with choices, I think it is that all the Gryffindor seem to reach a point, sooner or later, where there is no choice other than the brave one. It doesn't matter if it is the easiest or hardest choice, the most risky or non-risky, or any other factor - they will follow along the path that is marked brave whatever way it leads.

Quote:
Yes - I think Godric Gryffindor was quite ademant about it. Otherwise I don't think you'd get only brave ones in there. They all have various other traits, strengths and weaknesses as well, but they are all inherently brave, imo.

Quote:
The head of a lion and the body of a dragon - promoting the fire angle. Bravery and loyalty all tied up together. (Lion -king of the forest, brave; Fire - go through fire for you, loyalty)

Quote:
Um to have a bunch of loyal and brave people together; predominately goodsiders and trustworthy people. Fun, funny, mostly smart and self-confident. If someone is a Gryffindor, you can just automatically characterize them via the association with the house - makes writing easier.

Quote:
None. Throughtout the series it was the best house from a literary standpoint because we saw through Harry's eyes. It was the most supportive in terms of warmth and character - and it remained that way till the end. It was from the beginning, "Harry's house" and so it remained. The majority of the characters of note were Gryffindors - again, because of Harry's perspective. But that was the only perspective I got.

I liked Slytherin best based on its description, mainly as Harry saw it through Draco's eyes. But my reason for liking it were not because it was the best house, but because it was the worst. I felt like in the long run it would turn out to be equal with the other houses - but we are talking many decades or even a century from the time of Harry's years at Hogwarts. By then, the characteristics of the house would have changed and warped to something distinct, but the basis for creativity and acceptance would be there. In ways, it would be the best house from my perspective, but I think at that point it would be equalized with Gryffindor and the rest so you'd have all houses being great for different people.

But at the end of the series, Gryffindor was still the best house, then the others and Slytherin in last place as it had always been.

Old July 30th, 2009, 12:08 pm
Second Year

I think bravery, that seems to be the most important.

Neville always shows courage, even in PS. As Dumbledore says "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends". Neville may not be as bold and dashing as some other Gryffinors, but I never thought he was less brave.

Percy, too, showed courage in standing up to his family and doing what he thought was right. See the quote above. Surely standing up to your family is no less difficult than standing up to your friends. I find it funny that people only seem to see bravery in acts they agree with. Making a wrong decision doesn't make Percy a coward.

Wormtail, well, I admit I'm a bit lost on that one. It doesn't seem like he ever acted out of conviction or stood up for what he thought was right. He just tried to save his own behind. It really seems like it was fear that drove him, not courage and to me it seems like he even was like that at school. So no idea how he ended up in Gryffindor.

I'm not sure, actually. There is Hermione who seems smart enough for Ravenclaw, and then there's Luna who seems brave enough for Gryffindor. So this may be a bit more complex than one quality trumping another.

I can't think of anything specific, but I guess Gryffindors are probably bolder and also more reckless than other houses. So they tend to act faster, sometimes without thinking first, which of course isn't always a good thing.

A firey temperament and courage would be my guess.

Because it's a cute idea? I really don't know.

DH hasn't changed my perseption of the houses at all.

I have come up with a plan so cunning
you could stick a tail on it and call it a Kneazle!

Old July 30th, 2009, 1:15 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post
And Pettigrew doesn't seem to have an ounce of bravery, or even pride for that matter.
I disagree on this point, I think Peter was just overshadowed by other throughout the whole book, in the begining by his talented friends then later by more powerful DEs, imo Peter was brave as any other Gryffindore, probably his bravery was directed in a wrong way, but it certainly takes a great amount of bravery to cut your right hand by the left and work as a spy for someone who might kill you for any simple mistake. I believe that Peter acted like a coward in many situations but I think he had some bravery in him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
That was when Dean crushed the glass in his hand and didn't even seem to notice. I don't know why it only came to me in that moment that Gryffindors were inherently brave, like it or not, but I did. Not so much the act, but Dean's total disregard of it.
When did he do that?

Quote:
I don't think it has anything to do with choices, I think it is that all the Gryffindor seem to reach a point, sooner or later, where there is no choice other than the brave one. It doesn't matter if it is the easiest or hardest choice, the most risky or non-risky, or any other factor - they will follow along the path that is marked brave whatever way it leads.
I agree with you, but I sometimes see their actions as a mixture of recklessness and imprudence with bravery, they dont stop to see the out come of their actions, for instance we see Dumbledore -who besides being brave was the wisest and most experienced wizard we ever knew- rushing to put on the ring that carried a deadly curse, which resulted in his death a year later and could've been easily moments later, also Harry jumping in that lake in DH without thinking of anything, but what lay in its depth, he didnt even consider the simplest thing which was the temperature and the chill of the water. This is not the kind of bravery I'd admire, I like the Slytherin's style of bravery as Phineas described it: Slytherins were brave but not stupid, which I think meant that they were brave but more prudent, and given the chance they would choose the safer way. Perhaps some Gryffindores had both bravery and prudence together, but I think most of them were quite imprudent.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old July 30th, 2009, 4:24 pm
First Year

Awesome! Glad to see this kind of Analysis!

I think it has something to do with having strength of character and the will to do what you think is right. This does not necessarily mean good or bad, I think it is just the ability to stand by your own decisions, whether they are good or bad.

Personal courage, is my guess. The ability to face your fears and stand by your decisions, good or bad, and to take responsibility for them.

As we have seen in both Neville and Percy, they each have an underlying strength in them that is not readily known to the outside world... yet. Later on in the story, their strengths and bravery become apparent, even if it took each of them longer for it to surface.

In regards to Peter Pettigrew, I think that he was just a rat from the start, whether others knew it or not. I agree, it takes a certain amount of personal courage in order to cut off his own hand in order to resurrect Voldemort. So, his strength of will was strong, certainly... but it was directed towards a darker/negative path, as opposed to a "good" path.

I don't think it trumps other qualities, no. It is a quality that I personally hold very closely and is why I believe I was sorted into Gryffindor in the first place on this community. However, it is no more important than the other qualities that the other Houses hold closely. Of course, Gryffindor is the best house regardless of virtues. lol

I can't think of anything specific at the moment, but I do think that students from other houses would make some decisions with more thought, or found different ways to solve problems than Gryffindor students might. Can't be terribly generic, though.

Fire represents Gryffindor's passion and at times hot-headedness. The lion is that age-old "heart of the lion" strength of character, I think.

Well, for one because it makes for interesting plot devices. Another, because it is easier to make the differences between "good" and "evil" when you can separate them into clearly defined roles. I don't particularly like that Slytherin is generally considered inherently "bad" and Gryffindor inherently "good", but I think that might have been what JKR was originally going for in a child's book.

None, really. I always thought Gryffindor's generally had a wealth of personal courage and the ability to make decisions and stick to them from the get-go. DH only really reinforced my thoughts there.

GRYFFINDOR
Old August 26th, 2009, 5:06 pm
Zonko's Employee

According to canon, it's courage.

I find this rather problematic as that would seem to imply that the other Houses, including Slytherin, do not have brave students. This is obviously not true! Hufflepuff had Cedric and Tonks for starters. 'The bravest man' that Harry Potter probably ever knew was a Slytherin.

And Gryffindor had at least one famous coward: Peter.

Gryffindors also stand up for justice and tolerance, aka Dumbledore, but this is not always reflected in each and every individual Gryffindor's behaviour.

Neville is brave. As Dumbledore pointed out in the first book. Timidity does not preclude bravery! -- the very opposite.

Percy was quite brave to go against his family ... sure, it was a very hurtful and myopic thing to do, but I would not call his fault one of cowardice. His fault was not questioning the Establishment.

It would seem to. Otherwise Hermione would have been sorted into Ravenclaw faster than you can say 'Accio'.

Slytherins tend to be pragmatic, so it seems to me. Some Gryffindors are rather reckless.

Um, they're really cool symbols? Fire = energy, dynamism, a certain hot-headedness? Lion = kingly animal that is also a classic symbol of England. Also has 'messianic' overtones, e.g. Lion of Judah. And there's always Aslan ...

House rivalries are a classic staple of boarding school literature ... It was a fun concept in the first book. I suppose it was thematically simpler to have her principal young heroes as Gryffindors.

At least we get a really cool Ravenclaw ... Luna.

I got rather tired of the authorial bias that Gryffindor is clearly written to be the 'bestest House' -- a point rammed home by having more Gryffindors fight in the Battle of Hogwarts than any other House

I just don't find it very subtle. I would have preferred the theme of the series to include true House unity ... as seemed to be promised in OotP.

I might as well point out that I was sorted into Gryffindor by the CoS Sorting Hat, by the way, so I have no anti-Gryffindor axe to grind!

Last edited by Pearl_Took; August 26th, 2009 at 5:19 pm.
Old August 26th, 2009, 5:44 pm
The Godfather

While courage or bravery seem to be predominant traits for Gryffindor, they are not, in my opinion, necessarily "Good" vs. "Bad" aspects, depending on where they are on a spectrum.

What I mean is that one may be brave, but is that a "good" thing. Courage can lead to recklessness or even condescension, as could all of the character traits of the other houses. Does a Ravenclaw with vastly superior intelligence look down on another without?

Even our more well-known Gryffindors exhibited both aspects of their courage traits. Harry plunging ahead in certain areas without thinking, but also accepting that his death was part of the solution.

I also think that this propensity for courage also can make someone impatient. When you "know" what has to be done, why wait?

I think JKR pointed out this dichotomy very well in presenting both "good" Gryffindors and "bad" Gryffindors.

Thanks to cybobbie for the awesome sig pic!
Thanks to the best fanclub in the world!

My Fanfics:
A History of Magic: Part II - Beyond the Epilogue
Teddy Lupin and the Legacy of the Marauders ; A History of Magic: The Harry Potter Era (on hiatus); You Are Cordially Invited... (First Attempt)
Old August 26th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Fourth Year

Bravery, daring, and courage. They have to be able to do what they believe is right, even if it might not be in their immediate self-interest, even if it might ruffle a few feathers, even if it isn't easy, or what's popular at the time.

Neville was never a coward. Timid, surely in the beginning, but he managed to summon increasing amounts of courage throughout the series, standing up first to Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and then finally standing tall, wandless, against Voldemort. That shows tremendous courage, even if it didn't come instinctively. Neville needed inspiration.

Percy was bigheaded, arrogant, and a huge supporter of the establishment. His ambition would be a Slytherin characteristic, but I think his actions, while myopic and disgusting, took some bravery. It takes guts to say to the people who raised you "You're wrong" and then estrange yourself from them. It takes even more bravery to finally admit that they were right. A bit of humility, too.

Peter is the black sheep. An abject coward, he had very little courage, honor, or pride for that matter. He gives spinelessness a whole new meaning. I think he may have been daring as a member of the Marauders, and cutting off your own hand takes guts, but his actions offset them. He's a living reminder that one's qualities are governed just as much, or even more, by actions than by ability. He may have had some inherent bravery somewhere deep inside, but he chose to live the life of a coward.

Maybe not. Snape showed tremendous bravery later in life, but was a Slytherin. Hermione was the brainiest character in the story, yet was a Gryffindor. I think it's merely whichever trait is most strongly present in the person.

I can't really remember too many specifics, but I think Gryffindors would go by instinct, rather than through planning, negotiation, or cloak and dagger underhandedness. They're the firebrands, they jump headfirst into conflict.

Fire symbolizes their hotheadedness and bravery. The lion is a symbol of majesty, nobility, and royalty, and indicative of their bravery, as lions are fierce animals.

I think houses are a classic motif of boarding school stories. Heroes, not necessarily anti-heroes, need to be openly daring, brave, and courageous, and that's certainly what Harry is.

No new thoughts. I had always loved the house, along with Ravenclaw, haha.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
The Marauders: The Beginning of the End
Feedback

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others."
--Aristotle
Old November 12th, 2009, 4:02 pm
Sixth Year

Yeeha! I'm analyzing my own House, at last! Let's get it started people!

Bravery! And nerve, courage and chivalry!

I believe that the the word bravery can be descibed in many ways. There's the "saving people thing" bravery, and then there's the "let's fight for justice" bravery, and of course, inner courage. It's courage which shines from within, choosing the right way no matter in the face of danger. Neville certainly exhibited bravery, when he spearheaded DA. Percy's kind of bravery is admitting you're wrong, even when you know you're going to be criticised. And Peter's bravery was at his last hour-being brave at the face of death. (In many ways, I think him to be a "Judas Iscariot" character in HP. But I'll save it for PP's thread)

Well, no. You may be very brave, but you may not count bravery as an important factor in your life. Like Cedric, he was brave, but he chose loyalty and friendship, so he ended up in Huffelpuff. And Luna, she chose wit and learning, though she's brave. In the end, it's your choice, not whether your bravery is most predominant in you.

I guess Gryffindors are impulsive, hot-headed and sort of "go with the flow" thing. Most mind you. We have ones like Hermione and Remus who would plan for months beforehand.

I'd imagine most Gryffindors to be, as I said, impulsive, hot-headed and very passionate. Thus, they're the element of fire.

Lions are symbols of bravery, and courage, and that's the most predominant trait Gryffindors have.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References