Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Should spanking be made illegal? V.2

Old June 5th, 2010, 6:25 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Re: Should spanking be made illegal? V.2

It depends on the child, but some children will respond to spanking. I was spanked as a child. It showed me the level of the punishment. If I was just being sent to my room what I did was not that bad, but if a spank was involved then it was worse. Getting sent to my room wasn't that bad of a punishment. After a while I would forget and just start playing with my toys or reading books. A spanking isn't something I could turn into enjoyable like that, so it was a real punishment. I didn't get spanked that often, though. I wasn't a bad kid nor did my parents like to resort to it, but it did teach me how to behave.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2010, 8:39 pm
Seventh Year

This is just my personal opinion here, but I don't think just plain "it works" is a good enough reason to spank a child. Lots of things may "work", that doesn't mean we can try all of them, even if it would somehow lead to the child growing up to be polite or disciplined. I think spanking is one of those things that should just be completely avoided, irrespective of whether or not it "works". (By the way, there is enough literature on the Internet that tells us that spanking is ineffective. However, since there's also plenty that says it IS effective, I suppose that discussing whether or not it's effective would just end up in a rather roundabout debate )

According to reports and articles I've read, spanking is harmful, a violation of a child's human rights and risky. Not only can a "mild" spanking cause accidental injury, research has shown that spanking leads to increased anxiety and aggression, particularly in very young children (I've noticed a lot of posters in this thread emphasizing that only very young children should be spanked, which is why I italicized), and this is why I believe spanking should be criminalized.

Last edited by junika3; June 9th, 2010 at 10:05 am.
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:49 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

The thing about all of these articles (and this works for both sides of the argument) is that they and the "data" they use are inconclusive. I could use the same study and write two articles, one that says it "may" cause harm and one that says it "may not" cause any. They can't say one way or the other, and to say an inconclusive study "suggests" anything is rather ridiculous to me. It either says something, or it doesn't. The data is conclusive, or it isn't. It bothers me that people seem to overlook this. While what they say may be true for some members of the study, it obviously isn't true across the board or else research would do more than "suggest".

I can't read most of these things (either side of the matter) without taking them with a big grain of salt. Many of them are one person's opinion pitted against another, and often they are written by people who cite nameless and faceless "experts" and research that isn't defined.
(Also, three of the articles you've linked to, junika, are written about the same data. I think it gives the misleading impression that there is more data pointing to your conclusion than there really is when you use the same study three times instead of three studies. Just my opinion, of course.)

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old June 5th, 2010, 11:02 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
I was an only-child, so I was used of entertaining myself and I also had a wild imagination since I was always by myself.
I, too, was an only child and I've always been a huge introvert, so I was used to entertaining myself. But time out was hell. It wasn't about being alone, it was about knowing I was in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junika3 View Post
This is just my personal opinion here, but I don't think just plain "it works" is a good enough reason to spank a child. Lots of things may "work", that doesn't mean we can try all of them, even if it would somehow lead to the child growing up to be polite or disciplined. I think spanking is one of those things that should just be completely avoided, irrespective of whether or not it works.
I agree.

Also, I don't like the idea that if a child grows up obedient, that's automatically a good thing. I don't think blind obedience, or obedience based on painful stimuli, should be encouraged.

Old June 6th, 2010, 3:11 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingMaenid View Post
I, too, was an only child and I've always been a huge introvert, so I was used to entertaining myself. But time out was hell. It wasn't about being alone, it was about knowing I was in trouble.
That goes with what I said earlier too. Every child is different. Time out for me meant nothing, as I usually forgot why I was getting one in the first place because of the reasons I mentioned. For me, Time Out wasn't bothersome, annoying, or "hell". It was more of a paradise for me. Now, being fussed at by my mother, that upset me and was worse than any time out because I hated to disappoint my parents. A spanking would do this too, but, like Leah, it was rare that I got one because I never really did anything bad enough to warrant one, 'cept for when I lied constantly and my mother would punish me by taking things away and other ways, but I would still lie, but getting spanked for it stopped me from doing it anymore.

Old June 6th, 2010, 7:18 am
Seventh Year

mexicant, I linked those three particular words to three different articles on the same study to illustrate that it wasn't some sort of obscure, random study, but one that merited print space in various newspapers/medical journals.

In any case, here are two other links that I could have quoted in my previous post instead of the ones that I did. (The first is a report on a study that says that spanking is linked to ten negative behaviors, the second mentions that spanking has also been linked to sexual problems later in life.)

Last edited by junika3; June 9th, 2010 at 7:47 am.
Old June 9th, 2010, 3:20 pm
First Year

I think it should be made illegal in all countries. Now, I could be completely indifferent, because it's illegal where I live - but I'm not. It really hurts me when I hear about it - people really want to cause pain on a child, to cause pain on a small child. It's horrible and cruel, and it should be stopped. Also, it NEVER works. My dad, as an example, was spanked very often, and he was a real troublemaker. My mom was never spanked, and she was a quiet, obedient child.

Honesty. Kindness. Tolerance. Respect. Determination. Ambitious.

WHO DON'T LIKE A HUFFLEPUFF?
Old June 9th, 2010, 3:37 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaAvril View Post
I think it should be made illegal in all countries. Now, I could be completely indifferent, because it's illegal where I live - but I'm not. It really hurts me when I hear about it - people really want to cause pain on a child, to cause pain on a small child. It's horrible and cruel, and it should be stopped. Also, it NEVER works. My dad, as an example, was spanked very often, and he was a real troublemaker. My mom was never spanked, and she was a quiet, obedient child.
I'm sorry, but I have to say that I have never known anyone who used spanking because they wanted to cause pain to a child. I know that there are people out there who do have that desire, but not everyone who uses spanking as a method of discipline is out to cause harm to a child, imho.
And spanking does work, depending on the child. It certainly worked on me. I don't remember too many mistakes I made growing up, because one spanking was enough for me to know not to do it again. And the truth is, my mother never hit me in anger, or when she was frustrated. The build-up (knowing that I was in trouble and was going to have to face the consequence of doing something I had no business doing) to the spanking was always, ALWAYS worse than the spanking itself. It also was effective on both of my older sisters and one of my nephews. All children are different, however, and I will say that my mother and my sister had to find a different method of punishment for my younger brother and my youngest nephew.

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old June 18th, 2010, 6:57 am
Seventh Year

I'm honestly very conflicted on this issue. On one hand, I dislike the notion of parents spanking their kids for a minor problem, but I also dislike courts dictating how parents should be allowed to teach their children right from wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaAvril
It really hurts me when I hear about it - people really want to cause pain on a child, to cause pain on a small child.
The primary purpose (in my opinion) isn't too cause pain, and in 99.9% of cases it is a very minimal amount of pain. What really bothers me about it is the amount of shame it can cause a child. I do agree with you though, that it rarely works in stories we head. However, that doesn't mean it never works. Also, it can be a last resort if positive/negative reinforcement makes things worse.

Old June 18th, 2010, 7:17 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
I'm honestly very conflicted on this issue. On one hand, I dislike the notion of parents spanking their kids for a minor problem, but I also dislike courts dictating how parents should be allowed to teach their children right from wrong.
The thing is, the court already does dictate how parents are allowed to raise their children to a good extent, and this is unfortunately necessary. And not all abusive parents realize that their actions are abuse, as opposed to discipline.

Old June 18th, 2010, 7:44 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingMaenid View Post
The thing is, the court already does dictate how parents are allowed to raise their children to a good extent, and this is unfortunately necessary. And not all abusive parents realize that their actions are abuse, as opposed to discipline.

Aye, I agree. But all parents shouldn't have to suffer (in regards to limits of parenting) because of a small percentage who should have their children taken away.

Old June 18th, 2010, 7:57 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Maybe this has already been posted, but here's the opinion of Thomas Hammarberg, the Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives