Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Fossil Fuel

Old February 10th, 2009, 11:39 pm
First Year

Fossil Fuel

Fossil Fuels, Fossil Fuels, Fossil Fuels.
Our main energy source today. It's hated by a lot of people. Scarce and might be the cause of global warming. Yet cheap and very efficient.

What do you think about them?
Here's what I think:
In my science class, we started to have energy debates. My team and I chose the affirmative side of fossil fuels, just so we can try to see the other point of view. We actually did, and now I don't hate fossil fuels that much. Here is some defense to some of the big negatives on fossil fuels.

Global Warming:
This is mainly about how Carbon dioxide is probably not the cause of global warming.
http://www.world-mysteries.com/gnovak.htm
Pollution:
This talks about research on how to "clean" Fossil fuels.
http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/reducing/
It cannot be renewed:
We have fifty years of it left.

Another thing we have over them is; It would be REALLY hard to completely change energy sources since 85% percent of our energy today comes from fossil fuels.
This is just a debate I'm doing. I still would rather use some other type of energy.

Should this be in the environment topic?

So anyway, what do you think about fossil fuels?

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:52 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Re: Fossil Fuel

The Environment touches on some of these issues, but this goes into more depth than that thread, so carry on .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old February 12th, 2009, 2:24 am
Secret Keeper

I know that the environment does have these cycles of ice ages and warming periods, but I do remember reading in multiple sources that humans are speeding them up, but it's also natural, but faster than in previous cycles.

And the problem with cleaning fossil fuel isn't that it isn't possible to make sure everyone follows the procedures. And also, there's the money problem and during the middle of a global recession. Of course, renewable fuel won't be cheap either, but I suspect if we did make a complete change, it would be even cheaper and we'd be taking something from nothing.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old February 12th, 2009, 4:25 am
She Who Walks Behind

We rely too much on oil, most of our things are made out of plastic. There was once this docu on TV that showed our world, when there is no oil left. Basically there would be nothing left of what defines our current world.

Renewing oil sounds like a possibility, but too difficult IMO. They should rather search for a way to get away from fuel all together. Just imagine in a couple of years, when almost nothing is left, what conflicts there will be because of it.

The End of the Dream.
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:22 pm
First Year

I believe that too, even though I did make this thread. I think the world should see the other side, that's all. The debate is getting SUPER competitive. Here's another site:
nov55.com

Old February 13th, 2009, 11:39 pm
I want to believe

Though there may be some good things about fossil fuels, I believe we should be looking for renewable sources of energy rather than continuing to use oil, gas and coal. Though it may be difficult, I believe that the sooner we invest in developing renewable, clean sources of energy, the better off we'll be, and the better off the environment will be. Many people have the tendency to just think about the now and the near future without thinking ahead to the long run. Since fossil fuels will in fact run out in the long run, it makes sense to start working on other sources of energy now before it's too late and we run into an energy crisis because we did not think ahead. Also, I feel that no matter how "clean" fossil fuels are, there are other, much cleaner forms of energy out there: wind power, solar power, hydraulic power, etc. I read somewhere that Iceland uses its waterfalls for roughly 80% or more of its energy, which shows that it is indeed possible to power a nation with something other than fossil fuels.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old February 14th, 2009, 6:12 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I read somewhere that Iceland uses its waterfalls for roughly 80% or more of its energy, which shows that it is indeed possible to power a nation with something other than fossil fuels.
Me thinks the whole city of Reykjavik is heated by water from hot springs. But very few countries have as much waterfalls and hot springs per capita as Iceland.

Old February 14th, 2009, 7:41 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Since fossil fuels will in fact run out in the long run, it makes sense to start working on other sources of energy now before it's too late and we run into an energy crisis because we did not think ahead.
You can bet though that when it happens the world will scream in panic "Ohhh misery, but we didn't know. It happened all of the sudden. What shall we do?"

Petroleum it isn't called the Black Gold for nothing, it's the most important raw material and there are concerns that we already reached the Global Oil Peak.

Altogether will there be enough fossil fuel for around 200 years, gas, coal and so on included. IMO is the most important thing to start using renewable energy. It most annoys me when they start digging in peaceful areas and destroy the nature to get their fossil fuel.

The End of the Dream.
Old February 18th, 2009, 4:51 am
First Year

The main problem with fossil fuels for the forseeable future is not their impact on climate change- we eliminate most of the pollution already, actually. The problem is, as many of you seem to have noticed, is that they are one of the most limited and slow-replenishing fuels in existence. If population and technology (consumption per capita) increase at current levels, we will start running low (not necessarily out, but low enough to skyrocket prices) in a shockingly short amount of time. The best way we now have to solve/suspend this disaster is nuclear. It creates ENORMOUS amounts of energy per mass used. Uranium fission is of course limited in duration, but if fusion is perfected (and I swear I read somewhere that it already has been, about 20 years ago) then we can get hydrogen from just about anywhere. Ladies and gents, the future is fusion.

Hopefully, my computer will stop being retarded so i can put Cybobbie's awesome sig pic right here!

Proud member of the Gator Fan Club!

Unfortunately, Gators that play college football need not apply. Hook 'em!
Old February 26th, 2009, 1:06 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Harry View Post
The main problem with fossil fuels for the forseeable future is not their impact on climate change- we eliminate most of the pollution already, actually. The problem is, as many of you seem to have noticed, is that they are one of the most limited and slow-replenishing fuels in existence. If population and technology (consumption per capita) increase at current levels, we will start running low (not necessarily out, but low enough to skyrocket prices) in a shockingly short amount of time. The best way we now have to solve/suspend this disaster is nuclear. It creates ENORMOUS amounts of energy per mass used. Uranium fission is of course limited in duration, but if fusion is perfected (and I swear I read somewhere that it already has been, about 20 years ago) then we can get hydrogen from just about anywhere. Ladies and gents, the future is fusion.
Very true about the skyrocket prizes. Most of our oil is diged in the Arabic countries. And it will become impossible for some people to pay for it when it's running low. We will have car free days again like during the oil crisis centuries ago, when nobody was allowed to drive on a Sunday in Germany to save oil.
I am pretty sure that lots of people disagree with your last sentences. I am not totally against nuclear energy, but afterall it's too dangerous and poluting in the end.

The End of the Dream.
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:25 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Uranium fission is of course limited in duration, but if fusion is perfected (and I swear I read somewhere that it already has been, about 20 years ago) then we can get hydrogen from just about anywhere. Ladies and gents, the future is fusion.
Fusion research has really fallen out of favour in the last 15 or so years. Lots of people used to work in this area but have since given up. I think one of the main problems was storage. They simply couldn't find ways of storing these hot gases at high enough pressures to make the whole process a net energy producer- i.e., you waste vast amounts of energy in simply containing the gases and it cancels out any energy gains you may have from the actual fusion process. However, there are some researchers who are still working in this field and some big experiments are planned, but I wouldn't be too optimistic. So far they haven't managed to create any net energy. I think the best they've got is about 65% of what they originally had to put into the experiment.

The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering.

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.

Arthur C. Clarke (1917–2008)
Old February 27th, 2009, 3:34 am
First Year

I'm talking about cold fusion, not hot fusion. I swear I read somewhere that a group of scientists found a way to make cold fusion work around 20 years ago but that it was ignored and ridiculed by the "mainstream" hot fusion community. If I find where I read this I'll get back to you, but for now I concede that hot fusion for one is definitely not viable.

Hopefully, my computer will stop being retarded so i can put Cybobbie's awesome sig pic right here!

Proud member of the Gator Fan Club!

Unfortunately, Gators that play college football need not apply. Hook 'em!
Old February 27th, 2009, 4:03 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
I'm talking about cold fusion, not hot fusion. I swear I read somewhere that a group of scientists found a way to make cold fusion work around 20 years ago but that it was ignored and ridiculed by the "mainstream" hot fusion community. If I find where I read this I'll get back to you, but for now I concede that hot fusion for one is definitely not viable.
Cold fusion was a hoax, or at best, an anomolous result which was unable, despite much effort, to be replicated.

Bubble fusion is another fusion method with a history of disputed results.

Linking the wiki's because they're written without being overwhelming in the "technicalese" department.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 9:17 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
We rely too much on oil, most of our things are made out of plastic. There was once this docu on TV that showed our world, when there is no oil left. Basically there would be nothing left of what defines our current world.

Renewing oil sounds like a possibility, but too difficult IMO. They should rather search for a way to get away from fuel all together. Just imagine in a couple of years, when almost nothing is left, what conflicts there will be because of it.
Agreed there. A lot of things that we rely on are made of plastic. And a day will come when we'll run out of it.

Yep and that certainly would NOT be a good thing. Everyone fighting over what little oil is left. That'll definitely not be a pretty picture what so ever. They need to find a good way to renew the oil in some fashion and/or find a way to use less of it.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old October 8th, 2009, 6:19 am
She Who Walks Behind

BBC article about the oil issue

-------
Warning over global oil 'decline'

There is a "significant risk" that global production of conventional oil could "peak" and decline by 2020, a report has warned.

The UK Energy Research Council study says there is a general consensus that the era of cheap oil is at an end.
But it warns that most governments, including the UK's, exhibit little concern about oil depletion.
The report's authors also state that the 10 largest oil producing fields in the world are all in decline.
(more)
---------

I think this sentence in the article is not surprising:
On the other, there are oil companies and many energy analysts who dismiss the notion that supplies are running out.

Why should they agree with all those people who say that the era of oil comes to an end, when it's them who get the most profit out of it? They for sure will not confess that there will be no oil in near future and their companies will cease to exist.

The End of the Dream.
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:14 am
Third Year

I read an article a few months back about methane clathrate, I found it sort of distubing as it was being disussed as the 'next fossil fuel'. I find it worrying that new fossil fuels are being developed when, in my opinion, focus should be on renewable energy.
I'd really like to link the article but I think you have to be a subscriber. Did anyone hear about this?

Old October 10th, 2009, 12:41 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMemory View Post
I read an article a few months back about methane clathrate, I found it sort of distubing as it was being disussed as the 'next fossil fuel'. I find it worrying that new fossil fuels are being developed when, in my opinion, focus should be on renewable energy.
I'd really like to link the article but I think you have to be a subscriber. Did anyone hear about this?
Is that where they dig into the Methan fields down in the sea?

As far as I remember from different docus I watched is this a dangerous thing to do. The chance that it will blow up is high and it can cause tsunamis and worse.

The End of the Dream.
Old October 11th, 2009, 8:27 pm
Third Year

I think it's where methane is inside the water ice structure, so it's under the ocean bed in cold regions. I didn't know that it was explosive but I think they already mine it in Japan. The biggest concentration is in the arctic ocean so attempts at mining it could be pretty damaging.

Old October 12th, 2009, 10:10 pm
Second Year

I believe we should try and find a different energy source other than fossil fuels.

Why?
Well, for one...even if you think it isn't the cause for global warming. You have to agree it isn't good for the air we breathe.

and another, those are non-renewable energy sources.
We are going to run out eventually. Then what? Why wait until the last minute?
Let's go on and have a backup plan.

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:02 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMemory View Post
I think it's where methane is inside the water ice structure, so it's under the ocean bed in cold regions. I didn't know that it was explosive but I think they already mine it in Japan. The biggest concentration is in the arctic ocean so attempts at mining it could be pretty damaging.
Yes, we are talking about the same.

Here's a map about the occurrences:

Clathrate gun hypothesis

The mass release of methan clathrate is known as "blowout". Scientish fear that due to Global Warming the methan will be released and there's a risk of under water landslides and following tsunamis.

Also it's not really good for the environment, being a worse greenhouse gas than CO2. To use it will get you away from the oil, but will probably cause other problems.

The End of the Dream.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives