"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2009, 5:36 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2

Been on a Sam Raimi marithon for halloween, I'm surprised I hadn't seen any of these movies..

The Evil Dead - 6/10
It's decent. Some well done tense and scary moments, but Raimi does give in to the cliche's of the horror genre (like someone goes down steps into basement because they heard noises, Ash --Bruce Campbell's character-- follows him down because he isn't responding, you're really on the edge of your seat and thinking "hey, they're already dipping into the story, this is great" and then the jump scare comes with the guy popping up laughing, Raimi can do so much better than this), the characters are generally frustrating, even Ash is annoyingly frustrating. It seems I hated the movie more than I did, I didn't mind watching it at all, it has it's moments, but it could have been so much better yet the same. I might have to re-evaluate that rating, but that's what I gave it initially.

Evil Dead 2 - 10/10
I have no idea why Raimi chose to practically remake the first for the sequel, perhaps even he wasn't satsified with it? But this marks as one of the very finest sequels ever made. It's the first film... as it should have been. With an obviously higher budget, Raimi creates visuals that create a terrific atmosphere. It's spoof's the first, while remaining genuinely edgy and full of tension. And Ash becomes every bit of the awesome character that legend has him being. This is horror-comedy at it's best.

Army of Darkness - 7/10
Given the ending of ED2 that promised one heck of a film to follow, the beginning of this is disappointing, and contradicting. But it picks itself back up, and where the first was more of a straight forward horror with some black comedy, the second was a horror-comedy done as a spoof of the first, this is almost devoid of any 'horror' and is more of a adventure-comedy with some 'horror' moments. It's good, more campy than the first two and has less of what made ED2 such a successful sequel, but I enjoyed it and wouldn't mind watching it again.

Drag Me to Hell - 9/10
Starts out solid, and keeps getting better throughout it's runtime, and delivers a punch of a fantastic last 30 minutes. It's more of a horror, but it has plenty of the camp of ED2 and AOD. Has some of the cliche's of the genre, but unlike The Evil Dead, Raimi uses them to the film's advantage. Just a plain overall great time. Can't wait to watch it again, which I may do with some friends tonight, it seems like it would be fun with a crowd.

Old October 19th, 2009, 9:17 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML1991 View Post
Army of Darkness - 7/10
Given the ending of ED2 that promised one heck of a film to follow, the beginning of this is disappointing, and contradicting
I liked Army of Darkness the best, but that was probably because I saw it first. Also I am not so good when it comes to horror.
I love when Ash says "Oh that's just what we call pillow talk, baby, that's all." Bruce Campbell's finest hour.

I am gespatchio Oh!
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:15 pm
Second Year

Howl's Moving Castle

5/10
I was disappointed. I liked the directors movie Spirited Away and had high expectations. but the plot wasn't too great in my opinion..i just didn't like it too much.

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:27 am
Seventh Year

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) - Holds up remarkably well, particularly thanks to excellent direction and impeccable performances from the leads, Charles Laughton and Clark Gable; I really enjoyed the '62 version with Brando and Trevor Howard too, so I'm not sure which I prefer. A-

Old October 20th, 2009, 5:22 pm
Secret Keeper

A new thread?! Cool

Anyways, so continuing on with my Hitchcock marathon...and in my opinion, he comes back down to earth a bit with this one

Notorious- 79%

It still had a lot of his brilliance but it was rather dull at moments. Something about it just didn't grab me like his previous thrillers and I didn't feel as if there was much of an emotional attachment established with characters, so you could care less what happened to them.

The romance also developed abruptly (not un-common though) and I didn't sense much chemistry between Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman.

It might still make my Top 100, but just barely...

BTW, some interesting trivia I've read-

The "on again, off again" kiss is historically famous as it was Hitchcock's way of skirting around an old code that limited kisses to 3 sec

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 20th, 2009 at 5:58 pm.
Old October 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Registered Animagus

Red Dragon 7/10.
Nothing to do with the movie itself but I hated Ed Norton's unnaturally blonde hair. I found it really distracting anyway... I think this is an interesting film but it doesn't have the same suspense and/or 'horror' of Silence of the Lambs. The acting is good but I think Ralph Fiennes' character was a little bit too dull where they could have developed him further. Also, it was quite obvious what was going to happen IMO.
Having said that, Norton and Anthony Hopkins were both very good and I found their characters to be quite believable.

Silence of the Lambs 10/10.
Easily one of my favourite movies and probably my favourite book to movie adaptation. I've seen it dozens of times and it still creeps me out. The acting from Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins is exceptional. The screenplay is wonderful as is the music composition.
For me, this is what a good thriller movie should be. One that you want to watch again and again, despite knowing how it ends.

Old October 21st, 2009, 4:06 am
Banned

[REC] is outstanding. It is genuinely scary and it does not try to be extremely violent to induce the scares. I would like to thank Hollywood for ruining [REC]'s ending for me with the Quarantine trailer. I give the film an "A".

Old October 21st, 2009, 4:55 am
Seventh Year

Children of Men - Great film; Alfonso Cuaron's direction keeps things tense and compelling, and Emmanuel Lubezki's cinematography is brilliant, really evocative. A-

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; October 21st, 2009 at 5:02 am.
Old October 21st, 2009, 9:03 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Red Dragon 7/10.
Nothing to do with the movie itself but I hated Ed Norton's unnaturally blonde hair. I found it really distracting anyway... I think this is an interesting film but it doesn't have the same suspense and/or 'horror' of Silence of the Lambs. The acting is good but I think Ralph Fiennes' character was a little bit too dull where they could have developed him further. Also, it was quite obvious what was going to happen IMO.
Having said that, Norton and Anthony Hopkins were both very good and I found their characters to be quite believable.
I haven't seen this, but the film that was also based off this same book, Manhunter, is my favorite Lecter movie. Though it's less of a horror film and more of a thriller.

Old October 21st, 2009, 9:45 pm
Seventh Year

The Tingler - A William Castle movie with Vincent Price as a doctor who theorizes that when a person is most afraid, a living organism - "the tingler," if you will - grows along the spine, and the only way to expel it is to SCREAM! Pure schlock, but I had a lot of fun with it. B

Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:38 am
Second Year

Coraline-10/10
amazing film, scary and frightening and just fasinating the work that went into it, perfect in every way!...and Coraline is just so awesome as a character, and I wouldn't mind meeting someone like her in the future, she's so rebelious and dark and cool!

won't be easy to do
are you this restless too?

Insomniatic-Aly and Aj = Best Song Ever

Old October 22nd, 2009, 2:30 pm
Second Year

Law Abiding Citizen - 9/10
This movie was just awesome. It was alot better than I expected it to be, because I'm usually not a big fan of films like this. Gerard Butler was absolutely brilliant and perfectly cast. I loved the mild twist at the end, and how in the beginning I was rooting for Gerard Butler's character 100%, but toward the middle I kind of didn't know who I was rooting for. The characters weren't 2-dimensional, and Clyde (Gerard Butler) was a serious genius. It wasn't predictable in the least, and the amount of comic relief was just right. Granted, it was a pretty far-fetched movie, but I'll definitely be buying it when it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Trick'R'Treat - 10/10
I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this. Since I ordered it OnDemand, it was one of those movies that didn't have the "show preview" option.. and I didn't really know what it was specifically about, so my expectations weren't high. I really liked how it showed four different stories all on Halloween night/in the same town and managed to link them together in a not-so-cheesy way. I'm a big fan of movies that do that. Not to mention there were parts that scared me out of my mind, and that's pretty hard to do. I also really liked the story of Laurie and her sister/friends..and the twist that was involved with that.
Spoiler: show
Like how they kept saying that Laurie was a "22 year-old virgin" and how that one guy was going to be "her first".. when they really weren't talking about sex at all. They were all werewolves, and pretty awesome werewolves at that. I love werewolves, and I was recently talking to my friends about how you never see female werewolves in movies, so that part of the movie made me crazy happy.
It's the perfect Halloween movie, not too scary, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. I highly reccommend it!

Oct. 31 2009
One of the best days of my life.

Can you see? You remind of how I used to be.
Let's say goodbye to our maybes,
incomplete, just a texture of how life really is.
And it seems to feel so real.

Last edited by padfoot__lives; October 22nd, 2009 at 2:32 pm.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 3:01 pm
BANNED... No really they are...

The Stepfather- 3/10.

Good Lord this movie sucked! Tons of cliches! The plot was as thin as a runway model and there was absolutely no intelligence behind the characters ("this guy looks exactly like a sketch of a psycho on the American's Most Wanted website!" "What?! You're stupid.") It was just a cheap imitation of Disturbia with Shia LeBouf.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old October 22nd, 2009, 7:02 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfoot__lives View Post
Trick'R'Treat - 10/10
I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this. Since I ordered it OnDemand, it was one of those movies that didn't have the "show preview" option.. and I didn't really know what it was specifically about, so my expectations weren't high. I really liked how it showed four different stories all on Halloween night/in the same town and managed to link them together in a not-so-cheesy way. I'm a big fan of movies that do that. Not to mention there were parts that scared me out of my mind, and that's pretty hard to do. I also really liked the story of Laurie and her sister/friends..and the twist that was involved with that.
Spoiler: show
Like how they kept saying that Laurie was a "22 year-old virgin" and how that one guy was going to be "her first".. when they really weren't talking about sex at all. They were all werewolves, and pretty awesome werewolves at that. I love werewolves, and I was recently talking to my friends about how you never see female werewolves in movies, so that part of the movie made me crazy happy.
It's the perfect Halloween movie, not too scary, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. I highly reccommend it!
I created a thread here months ago. No one has posted yet. Maybe you and I can chat about the film?

I watched Transformers and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen last night. I give both films a "B".

Old October 22nd, 2009, 7:03 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Bolt- about a 6 or 7 out of 10. It was okay, but not great. I hated the country song montage thing towards the end.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:17 pm
Secret Keeper

Shadow of A Doubt- 94%

Supposedly Hitchcock once stated that this was his personal favorite of the films he directed. While it isn't my favorite, I can see why it could be someone else's. Set aside a couple lame scenes (the main one being the ending) and some odd dialogue that occured at times and you have another masterpiece. BTW, I think it's best to watch this without any prior knowledge. I'd only read the plot summary on IMDB (basically spoiler free, like what's on the back of a DVD box, you know?) but that was enough to diminish some of the suspense for me.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:15 am
Fourth Year

Children of Men - 9.5/10

Astounding film. Emotional and provocative. Brilliant directing by Cauron.

Edit: BTW thank you IenjoyAcidPops. Your review reminded me of this movie lol. I've been wanting to see it for a while and finally did.

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...

Last edited by 9th_Wonder; October 23rd, 2009 at 4:31 am.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 1:36 am
Seventh Year

1408 - One of the more effective horror films I've seen in a while, very creepy indeed. And John Cusack carries it nicely, as it's nearly a one-man show most of the time. B+

Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:04 pm
Secret Keeper

Strangers on a Train- 97%

Now, that's the same score I gave Rear Window but I'm hesitant to say it's as good as (or better) than the aforementioned. I'm also not sure where I would place it amongst my top favorites. All I know is I enjoyed it immensely and it was one of the most suspenseful I have seen!

And I do believe it's one of Hitchcock's best However, if you don't like "implausible" films (as I've seen many call it) this is NOT for you.

With the exception of about 5 minutes throughout the course of the film, it's very tightly paced. I should be in bed, but I had to finish it.

As I said in the Hitchcock thread, I liked Farley Granger's performance infinitely more than in Rope (he was the annoying sidekick)

Although, there was somebody else I found annoying this time...Hitchcock's daughter!

And Robert Walker gave me the creeps! I think his was the best performance I've seen in a Hitchcock film yet, which is really saying something. I was so shocked to discover he didn't even get an Oscar nom! Sadly died (32 yrs) not long after this film was released too.

IMO, it was certainly one of the best villain performances I have seen...up there with Heath Ledger's joker!

The cinematography was another treat, especially the amusement park scenes. If nothing else, you gotta see it for the ending...insane!

Although, all that being said...I'm also not sure it's a film I would watch again. This could possibly be said about any Hitchcock film though. It's the suspense that makes them so great, and naturally you'll only have that the first time through. I could be wrong though, because I've only tested this theory with Rope, which was one of the lesser Hitchcock films I've seen to begin with and the pacing is very different.

Still, I'm afraid if I re-watch this one, Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Shadow of a Doubt, etc...the scores would be way lower.

I certainly hope not though, cause I am already considering asking relatives for a DVD box set (or a bunch of individuals) for Christmas

*strolls off to bed*

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 23rd, 2009 at 12:43 pm.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives