Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Coming Soon in 2010

Old January 16th, 2010, 12:04 pm
Sixth Year

Coming Soon in 2010

Since we had one for '09, it seems fair enough to have one for this year now that we're already here.

Shutter Island - It should have came out last year, and we'd probably be getting news on a dvd/blu-ray now had it came out then, I'm still sore about it, but oh well. At least I have something pretty early in the year to look forward to. The source material is great and gives Scorsese plenty of room to flex his filmmaking muscles, and its a strong enough character to fit in the same sentence with lots of other character studies Scorsese has done in the past. Should be a good way to bring in some great cinema in a lackluster set of months.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 - HBP is my favorite film of the series thus far and I think Yates made a film that was a legitimately good film instead of me just speaking from a fan point of view. This should bode well for the next (two, sort of) film(s).

Inception - That second trailer is one of the best teasers I've seen in a long time. Looks like a total mind game of a movie. Should be fun.

Toy Story 3 - Looks to be one of Pixar's best, and I wouldn't be surprised if it tops it's predecessors. It's doing what a new Toy Story should do in the right hands.

Kick-A*s - Don't mean to intentionally avoid the censor, but that's the title of the film, I can't help that. As for the film itself, a satire of the comic book film genre? I'm there.

Iron Man 2 - Looks to beat the formulaic drawbacks of the first film, there's not a whole lot to base much off of, but hopefully it follows the seeming comic book film tradition of the sequel being better than the first film (X2, Spider-Man 2, Hellboy II, The Dark Knight).

Tree of Life - I know absolutely nothing about it, the rumors are all over the place, but Terrence Malick's epic that's been pushed off for unexplained reasons for over a year now no less is generating interesting. Including my own. Still haven't seen The New World.

Black Swan - Aronofsky is probably my favorite new director of the past decade. Rumors sound interesting. Nice cast, too.

Others I'm interested in:
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
The Fighter
Edge of Darkness
The Social Network (how a director like Fincher is attached to something that sounds so uninteresting yet unusual still catches my attention)
Green Zone (looks like the Bourne 4 that won't happen, or is Greengrass just no longer attached to it?)

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. I'm anticipating this year, but it's lacking the fire that last year seemed to have.

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:33 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Coming Soon in 2010

Off the top of my head, the movies I'm looking forward to this year (going by American release dates anyway) are: Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland, Toy Story 3, Deathly Hallows Pt 1, Priest.
Curious to see: Avatar The Last Airbender, Saw VII.

Looking at IMDB though there are lots of movies coming out that make me cringe. The top ones being an American remake of the wonderful British comedy Death At A Funeral. WHY!? Also a Hollywood remake of one of my favourite movies, Let The Right One In (which is going to be released as Let Me In) darn Hollywood ruining great movies.

Old January 16th, 2010, 12:46 pm
Fifth Year

My big one for this year is Alice in Wonderland. I can not wait to see it. I am not sure it will be a success though – Burton’s remakes/re-imagines have been sub par in my opinion, however the look of this film alone, has me very excited.

The Rum Diary – am looking forward to another adaptation of a Hunter S Thompson work. Although it’s not Gilliam again, Depp is reprising his role as HST. Should be interesting at least. I love the story.

DH part 1. I am not expecting much to be honest after HBP. But I am very open to Yates proving me wrong. If those kids can really act – now is their time to prove it.

The A-Team – not my kind of film, but after Sharlto Copley's performance in District 9, I am curious.

I am also curious, but again not expecting much from Clash of the Titans. I love Greek mythology and the original film was not bad. I am not confident about the superhero parody approach they are taking in this new film.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader I will probably go to see this, but I did not like the other two. Voyage is my second favorite book from the series – so I am hoping for a half decent attempt.

It’s not shaping up to be a good year for film – in my mind. There is a lot of remakes lined up, which we could probably do without (footloose, the Karate Kid, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Conan, straw dogs and Dinner For Schmucks) and a lot of sequels I don’t think will add any value (sex in the city 2, Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps, Little Fockers, scream 4 and Toy Story 3), all of which hold no interest for me.

Will probably watch Iron Man 2 when it comes out on DVD and Tron Legacy has me curious –from a nostalgic point of view.

I am gespatchio Oh!
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:57 pm
Sixth Year

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting Alice in Wonderland. I can't wait to see that, hopefully in 3D. Movie looks like candy.

As for Narnia... I loathe the first film, the second film was an improvement in some ways, but had the same drawbacks as the first which I think was disappointing because the handling of the material seemed to scream that it could have been so much better. With different (and apparently better) talent, and the pics I've seen actually looked like the Narnia I always imagined, despite it coming from Fox it might actually surprise me. I hope it does.

Old January 16th, 2010, 1:15 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Looking at IMDB though there are lots of movies coming out that make me cringe. The top ones being an American remake of the wonderful British comedy Death At A Funeral. WHY!? Also a Hollywood remake of one of my favourite movies, Let The Right One In (which is going to be released as Let Me In) darn Hollywood ruining great movies.
They don't ruin them for those of us who know the originals and therefore have the sense (and good taste) to avoid the remakes.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old January 16th, 2010, 1:30 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Wab
They don't ruin them for those of us who know the originals and therefore have the sense (and good taste) to avoid the remakes.
Well yes that's true. I think the reason I take particular offence to the two I mentioned is not just because they are movies I like, but they're also both very recent movies ('07 and '08) and there is no artistic reason whatsoever to remake them.

Old January 16th, 2010, 2:00 pm
Secret Keeper

Jesus, you read my mind...I was in the process of creating a 2010 thread when I noticed we already had one!

Yep, 2009 has come and gone. There are still many '09 films I want to see (ie. Brothers, The Road, The Lovely Bones, Pirate Radio, The Ugly Truth, The Invention of Lying, Blind Side, 2012, The Informant!, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, It's Complicated, Nine...hell, maybe even Avatar just to see what all the fuss is about ) but the start of the new decade looks to pack a promising punch

Here are my most anticipated. There's the big 3 which are ranked and the others are in no particular order

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1- Uh, I think the reason here is obvious
2. Inception- Nolan hasn't dissappointed me yet and the cast and crew for this is a stellar lineup...not to mention the story sounds really intriguing, despite the fact we know hardly anything in regards to the plot
3. Iron Man 2- I knew hardly anything about the character before the '08 movie but I loved that movie and I'll def be seeing the sequel...if for no other reason than to see hottie Scarlett Johanson grace the screen

Robin Hood- Russell Crowe is one of my favorite actors and the recently released trailer for this looked awesome
Jonah Hex- this could easily be ****, but the cast has got me interested
Salt- same as the above Though Angelina Jolie has proven herself a more capable actress than Megan Fox I think
Yogi Bear- I used to watch this cartoon all the time as a kid, should be a fun watch that takes me back
The Green Hornet- don't know much about this or the superhero character even...but it's Seth Rogan, so I'm expecting this to be funny
The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of Dawn Treader- I don't believe I ever read more than 1 of the Narnia books but I liked the first 2 films enough to where I'll see the next
Dear John- apparently this is another adaptation of a Nicholas Spark book...the same guy who wrote A Walk to Remember and The Notebook, which are two films I love despite the fact I'm a dude, so yeah...
The Book of Eli- Denzel is such a great acotr, I'll see just about anything if it has him in it...and this looks at least decent
Shutter Island- the trailers freak me out but this looks like a fascinating thriller
Green Zone- this really does just look like "Bourne in Iraq" () but still...
Clash of the Titans- from the trailers it looks like a CGI fest, but it's got a great cast and should be entertaining at least
The Karate Kid- I'm a bit of a fan of the old franchise so I'm both concerned and curious how this "reboot" is going to turn out. The early reviews sound impressive
Hereafter- Clint Eastwood movie, 'nuff said.

And some comedies that might be good:

Grown Ups- though he's gone a bit downhill, Adam Sandler is still one of my favorite comedians so I'm looking forward to this. Quite a few other funny guys in this too
Date Night
Death at a Funeral
Hot Tub Time Machine
Cop Out- I don't care much for Bruce Willis but it's a Kevin Smith movie so chances are it will be good
Dinner for Schmucks
Youth in Revolt
Little Fockers- I'm not too happy they're making a 3rd film, but I loved Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers (though lacking for story) was even funnier...so obviously I'm going to see this one as well.

I'm sure I'll discover others if I look more thorougly at some of the 2010 previews, but for the time being these are the titles that have caught my eye

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 16th, 2010 at 2:22 pm.
Old January 16th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Seventh Year

I'm looking forward to...
-Shutter Island (I have not read the book, but it's Scorsese, and it looks great.)
-Alice in Wonderland (My favorite filmmaker, a director perfectly suited to this material [Tim Burton], a tremendous cast [Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall, Michael Sheen, Stephen Fry, Michael Gough, Christopher Lee...], and what looks to be a fitting use of 3-D)
-Date Night (Only because it's a Tina Fey/Steve Carell team-up)
-Iron Man 2 (I like the first movie a lot, and there's every indication that this will be an improvement.)
-Robin Hood (This has been an interesting movie to follow, with some very significant script/concept changes over time. Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe work well together, too.)
-Get Him to the Greek - (The spin-off for the Aldous Snow character from Forgetting Sarah Marshall - a hilarious movie, in my opinion, and Rusell Brand's very funny; who knows if the movie will work, but I'm optimistic.)
-Toy Story 3 (As far as I'm concerned right now, Pixar can do no wrong. I was impressed by the trailer, it looks like a very moving film, not just a money-grab.)
-Inception (I think Chris Nolan is the best director to emerge this decade, and this looks most intriguing.)
-Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (That's right, get back on the horse, this wizard thing will catch on someday!)

And I'm morbidly curious about...
-The Wolf Man (With all the reshoots and rewrites, the change in director, the addition of two editors, and whatever else, this has "Train Wreck" written all over it. So I have to see how much of a mess it ends up being.)
-MacGruber (SNL sketches turned movies don't generally do well. To me, Will Forte's been the funniest cast member on the show since he joined in '02, but the MacGruber sketches thrive on their incredibly short length - set-up, payoff, explosion - so I have no idea how this'll work.)

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; January 16th, 2010 at 9:04 pm.
Old January 16th, 2010, 9:29 pm
Banned

I only want to see Shutter Island and Inception for now. I love David Fincher but the fact his film has Justin Timberlake in it and the fact it's about the creators of Facebook makes me wary.

Edit: I completely forgot about Deathly Hallows Part I.

Last edited by NumberEight; January 17th, 2010 at 6:15 pm.
Old January 16th, 2010, 9:37 pm
Fourth Year

There's three movies I'm planning to see in 2010:

Alice in Wonderland (I hope it comes in 3D here)
The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

The last two I don't expect much of. That way, I won't be disappointed.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:24 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Oooh, it makes me angry that they are remaking Death at a Funeral. The original is only a couple of years old! The trailer for the new version does nothing for me since I have only just seen the original. I don't know why Americans can't stick with the original of anything that is good and have to make it themselves. They do the same with television series - whenever America likes foreign series, instead of buying it they have to make a rip-off themselves!

Anyway, back to the topic...

Looking through the list of films released this year on wikipedia, the following title grab my attention (by order of release):

Tooth Fairy
Valentine's Day
Alice in Wonderland
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Little Fockers
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I
Yogi Bear

Some of the films released later in the year, I have yet to see trailers of, so am not sure whether I'd want to see them. However only one of these on my list I'd want to see in cinema - DH1 unquestionably

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old January 19th, 2010, 2:45 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post
There's three movies I'm planning to see in 2010:

Alice in Wonderland (I hope it comes in 3D here)
The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

The last two I don't expect much of. That way, I won't be disappointed.

Those are my favs as well. Aside from HP, I am really looking forward to VDT. I loved that book. It's sad though to see that it has not made any of the must see lists of 2010 on the various movie websites. Instead A team and tron legacy seem to be on the top 10 which surprises me. I just hope narnia does well enough to keep the franchise going, but considering that this 3rd movie barely got made I will be surprised if we get a 4th.

The other movie I'm looking forward to seeing is Percy jackson since I just finished the series, and the last airbender because the cartoon was so much fun.

So I guess my top picks are :

- DH part 1
- VDT
- Percy Jackson
- Last airbender
- eclipse
-ironman 2 (should be fun)
-prince of persia (loved the trailer)

Old January 19th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Third Year

In 2010 I'm looking forward to...

Shutter Island - Martin Scorsese it an amazing director, so I think this movie could be really good. Also, from what I've seen of the trailers, it looks like it's going to be really great! Leonardo DiCaprio looks like he's doing a good job too.

Deathy Hallows, Part 1 - Of course, being a Harry Potter fan, I'm looking forward to it! I just hope it comes soon!

Voyage of the Dawn Treader - I'll miss not having William Mosely and Anna Popplewell as apart of the class, but hopefully Georgie Henley will make up for it!

Old January 23rd, 2010, 2:34 pm
Secret Keeper

After seeing the trailer I'm adding Valentine's Day to my list. At the least it has a lot of sexy ladies (Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, Anne Hathaway, and Taylor Swift amongst others) in it. The Jessica's alone would be enough to draw me in, but unfortunately I have no girlfriend to see it with and I'm certainly not going to go to the theatre to watch it by myself I like chick flicks, but not THAT much I'll probably end up seeing it on DVD sometime. I just hope this won't be this years He's Just Not That Into You, a huge disappointment

You know, it kinda looks like Love Actually but set around Valentine's Day instead of Christmas...however, if it's as good as the former I certainly won't complain Oh, it's also set in the US as opposed to the UK

EDIT:

looks like the list of actresses could have been even more impressive. Katherine Heigl, Rachel McAdams, and Elizabeth Banks (all of which are personal favs) auditioned for roles but ultimately weren't chosen.

The lineup of guys is pretty good too...I like George Lopez, Jamie Fox, Bradley Cooper, and Ashton Kutcher. I may be alone on the last though He may not be the best actor but I think he's a cool and funny guy...

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 23rd, 2010 at 3:19 pm.
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:51 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
You know, it kinda looks like Love Actually but set around Valentine's Day instead of Christmas...however, if it's as good as the former I certainly won't complain Oh, it's also set in the US as opposed to the UK
I thought the trailer looked exactly like Love Actually but set on Valentine's Day and using mostly American actors. Doesn't look bad though, I think it'll be on my "to see on DVD" list too.

Last edited by Hysteria; January 24th, 2010 at 1:32 pm. Reason: My poor choice of abbreviations
Old January 24th, 2010, 1:16 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

That it's a thin remake of Love Actually is a growing consensus on the Net.

"You've seen this movie before...And it wasn't that good the first time."

http://www.doublex.com/blog/xxfactor...-love-actually

BTW: As it's a rom-com "VD" is probably not the most appropriate abbreviation of the title.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 16th, 2010, 3:26 pm
Secret Keeper

After looking through this very extensive 2010 movie preview, my list of movies to consider has grown substantially

170 '10 releases to consider watching:    

The A Team
* The Adjustment Bureau
The American
And Soon the Darkness
Animal Kingdom
The BackUp Plan
The Baster
The Beaver
***** Slap
* Black Swan
Blitz
Blue Valentine
The Bounty Hunter
Book of Eli
Brighton Rock
Brooklyn's Finest
Burlesque
Cemetery Junction
Chloe
Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of Dawn Treader
Clash of the Titans
The Company Men
The Conspirator
Cop Out
Crazy on the Outside
Creation
Cyrus
Date Night
Dear John
Death at a Funeral
The Debt
Dinner for Schmucks
The Disappearance of Alice Creed
Due Date
The Eagle of the Ninth
Easy A
Edge of Darkness
Enter the Void
The Expendables
The Extra Man
Extraordinary Measures
Fair Game
The Fighter
Fish Tank
Flipped
Footloose
Get Low
The Ghost Writer
The Girl Who Played With Fire
Glorious 39
Going the Distance
The Greatest
Greenberg
The Green Hornet
Greenzone
Grownups
Gulliver’s Travels
Harry Brown
Deathly Hallows Part 1
Henry’s Crime
Hereafter
High School
Hippie Hippie Shake
Hot Tub Time Machine
Howl
The Hungry Rabbit Jumps
I Love You Phillip Morris
Inception
The Irishman
Iron-Man 2
It’s Kind of a Funny Story
Jack Goes Boating
John Rabe
Jonah Hex
The Joneses
The Karate Kid
Kick-***
The Kids Are Alright
The Killer Inside Me
Killers
The King’s Speech
Knight and Day
The Last Song
The Last Word
Leap Year
Legion
Let Me In
Letters to Juliet
Life As We Know It
Little Fockers
London Boulevard
The Losers
Lottery Ticket
Love and other Drugs
Love and Other Impossible Pursuits
Love Ranch
MacGruber
Main Street
The Mechanic
Middle Men
Morning Glory
Mother and Child
Mr. Nobody
Nailed
Never Let Me Go
The Next Three Days
Nowhere Boy
Once Fallen
Ondine
The Other Guys
Our Family Wedding
Paul
Perrier's Bounty
A Prophet
Rabbit Hole
Rapunzel
Red
Red Tails
Remember Me
The Resident
Robin Hood
The Romantics
The Roommate
The Rum Diary
The Runaways
Salt
Sanctum
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Secretariat
Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll
Shanghai
Shelter
She’s Out of My League
Sherk Forever After (but please let this be the last! )
Shutter Island
Skateland
The Social Network
Solitary Man
Somewhere
The Special Relationship
Stone
Takers
Tamara Drewe
Tell Me
The Tempest
Tomorrow When the War Began
The Town
Toy Story 3 (see above note on Shrek 4 )
The Tree of Life
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Unstoppable
Unthinkable
Valentine’s Day
The Way Back
Welcome to the Riley’s
What’s Wrong With Virginia
The Whistleblower
Wild Grass
The Winning Season
Womb
When In Rome
Yogi Bear
You Again
You May Not Kiss the Bride
Young Americans
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
Your Highness
Youth in Revolt
The Zookeeper

I think for a few of those pages I may have put down every one The decision for most simply comes from the actors and/or director involved or that the summary sounded interesting. For a few I've actually seen the trailers so I've got something more substantial to go off, but many it's just "hmm, sounds like it might be good" Oh, but I figure a lot of 'em could easily be very crappy. For instance Twilight: Eclipse. I didn't care too much for the first 2, yet I can't seem to get away from these. Who knows, maybe this one will actually be good...I hear it's the best book, but that might not count for much. Oh, and I've even listed the Miley Cyrus movie. Now my only justification for this one is that I've liked some previous Spark's adaptations, so I may give this one a try despite the actress. I'm pretty sure I've listed just about every comedy as well, cause you never know with these. For example, who would have guessed that Knocked Up or Superbad would be so great? I know I didn't...

Of all those, I'd say these are the biggest ones on my radar (main factors are bolded/underlined)

The A Team

Quote:
Cast: Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper, Sharlto Copley, Quinton Jackson, Jessica Biel
Director: Joe Carnahan

Summary: A contemporary action comedy feature based on the classic 80's TV series. A group of Iraq War veterans go on the run as they look to clear their name with the U.S. military, who suspect the four men of committing a crime for which they were framed.
The Adjustment Bureau

Quote:
Cast: Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, John Slattery, Terence Stamp, Daniel Dae Kim
Director: George Nolfi

Summary: David Norris, a charismatic congressman meets a beautiful ballet dancer named Elise Sellas, only to find strange circumstances keeping them from getting closer. Norris discovers forces are at work to ensure they stay apart, and he pushes to find out why.
The American

Quote:
Cast: George Clooney, Violante Placido, Thekla Reuten, Paolo Bonacelli
Director: Anton Corbijn

Summary: After a botched job that kills his lover, an assassin vows to quit after his next assignment in a small but picturesque Italian town. As his guard lowers, a dangerous threat closes in while the woman who hired him may not be all that she seems.
The Baster

Quote:
Cast: Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman, Jeff Goldblum, Scott Elrod
Director: Will Speck, Josh Gordon

Summary: An unmarried 40-year-old woman turns to a turkey baster in order to become pregnant. Seven years later, she reunites with her best friend, who has been living with a secret: he replaced her preferred sperm sample with his own.
The Beaver

Quote:
Cast: Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, Anton Yelchin, Jennifer Lawrence
Director: Jodie Foster

Summary: A depressed toy company CEO with a failed marriage starts to wear a beaver puppet on his hand as a form of therapy, much to the initial bemusement of his family. He soon begins talking only through the character.
The summary sounds incredibly stupid doesn't it? Well early reports say it's really funny and the script is being highly praised, so I'm keeping a watch out for it anyways...

Black Swan

Quote:
Cast: Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassel, Winona Ryder
Director: Darren Aronofsky

Summary: A veteran ballerina finds herself locked in a competitive situation with a rival dancer, with the stakes increasing as the dancers approach a big performance. However it's unclear if the rival is a ghost or the ballerina herself is delusional.
The Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Cast: Gerard Butler, Jennifer Aniston, Christine Baranski, Jason Sudeikis
Director: Andy Tennant

Summary: A bounty hunter's next assignment may turn out to be his toughest yet: his ex-wife who has skipped bail and has gone on the run from the law.
Chloe

Quote:
Cast: Julianne Moore, Amanda Seyfried, Liam Neeson, Max Thierot
Director: Atom Egoyan

Summary: A successful doctor suspects her husband is cheating on her and hires an irresistible young woman, Chloe, to test his fidelity. Chloe's torrid tales of her encounters take Catherine on a journey of sexual and sensual re-discovery which soon puts her family in great danger.
Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of Dawn Treader

I liked the first two enough and this is supposed to be the best book, so hopefully this will be really good

Clash of the Titans

Quote:
Cast: Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, Gemma Arterton
Director: Louis Leterrier

Summary: Based on the 1981 film of the same name, the ultimate struggle for power pits men against gods. But the war between the gods themselves could destroy the world. Born of a god but raised as a man, Perseus is helpless to save his family from Hades, vengeful god of the underworld.
The Company Men

Quote:
Cast: Tommy Lee Jones, Ben Affleck, Rosemarie DeWitt, Chris Cooper, Maria Bello
Director: John Wells

Summary: A look at the impact of corporate downsizing from different perspectives - a corporate hotshot who gets laid off, the salt-of-the-earth drywall installer who gives him a construction job, and a senior partner at the firm who struggles with the actions of his partners.
Cop Out

Quote:
Cast: Bruce Willis, Tracy Morgan, Seann William Scott, Adam Brody, Jason Lee
Director: Kevin Smith

Summary: Two cops track down a stolen baseball card, rescue a Mexican beauty and must deal with gangsters and laundered drug money.
Date Night

Quote:
Cast: Steve Carell, Tina Fey,Mark Wahlberg, James Franco
Director: Shawn Levy

Summary: A couple find their routine date night becomes much more than just dinner and a movie when they're mistaken for a dangerous couple. They soon encounter everything from over-anxious securities experts to petty con men who mess up their romantic evening.

Dear John- another Spark's (The Notebook, A Walk to Remember, etc) adaptation

Quote:
Cast: Channing Tatum, Amanda Seyfried, Henry Thomas, Richard Jenkins
Director: Lasse Hallstrom

Summary: A young soldier home on leave falls for an idealistic college student during her spring vacation. Over the next seven tumultuous years, the couple is separated by his dangerous deployments and their mail correspondence triggers fateful consequences.
Death at a Funeral

Quote:
Cast: Chris Rock, Tracy Morgan, Martin Lawrence, Loretta Devine, Ron Glass
Director: Neil LaBute

Summary: A re-imagining of Frank Oz's 2007 British comedy. The ensemble comedy deals with a funeral ceremony that leads to the digging up of shocking family secrets, as well as misplaced cadavers and indecent exposure. While the original was set in Britain, the new film will take place in a US setting with a mostly African-American cast.
Dinner for Schmucks

Quote:
Cast: Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, Zach Galifianakis, Bruce Greenwood, David Walliams
Director: Jay Roach

Summary: A renowned publisher encourages his friends to invite the most pathetic guests possible for their weekly dinner party. Just as they find the most pathetic man yet, the host is injured and ends up trapped with the man all night long.
Due Date

Quote:
Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Jamie Foxx, Zach Galifianakis, Michelle Monaghan, RZA
Director: Todd Phillips

Summary: Downey will play an expectant father who finds himself on a road trip with a mismatched partner, as he races to get there before his wife gives birth to his first child. Galifianakis plays his road trip mate.
The Fighter

Quote:
Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Melissa Leo, Jack McGee
Director: David O. Russell

Summary: A drama about boxer Irish Mickey Ward and his unlikely path to become world lightweight champion with the help of his half-brother, a talented fighter turned criminal who turns his life around by helping his underperforming brother on the road to the world championship.
Going the Distance

Quote:
Cast: Drew Barrymore, Justin Long, Charlie Day, Christina Applegate, Ron Livingston
Director: Nanette Burstein

Summary: The story centers on a man and woman in a long-distance relationship who ultimately come to the realization that they would be happier dating someone closer to home.
The Greatest

Quote:
Cast: Pierce Brosnan, Susan Sarandon, Carey Mulligan
Director: Shana Feste

Summary: A family is still coping with the death of their 18-year-old son when their son's girlfriend reveals that she is carrying his child.
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Cast: Seth Rogen, Cameron Diaz, Jay Chou, Edward James Olmos, Christoph Waltz
Director: Michel Gondry

Summary: Britt Reid is a wealthy industrialist by day. At night though he goes out in his masked "Green Hornet" identity to fight crime as a vigilante, accompanied by his similarly masked Asian manservant Kato who drives a car equipped with advanced technology.
Greenzone
Quote:
Cast: Matt Damon, Jason Isaacs, Greg Kinnear, Brendan Gleeson, Amy Ryan
Director: Paul Greengrass

Summary: During the U.S.-led occupation of Baghdad in 2003, a warrant officer in search of weapons of mass destruction believed to be stockpiled in the Iraqi desert instead stumbles upon an elaborate cover-up by his own people that inverts the purpose of their mission.
Grownups

Quote:
Cast: Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, Rob Schneider, David Spade, Salma Hayek
Director: Dennis Dugan

Summary: Five friends and former teammates reunite years later to honor the passing of their childhood basketball coach. With their wives and kids in tow, they spend the Fourth of July weekend together at the lake house where they celebrated their championship years earlier.
Harry Brown

Quote:
Cast: Michael Caine, Emily Mortimer, Iain Glen, Jack O'Connell, Liam Cunningham
Director: Daniel Barber

Summary: An elderly ex-serviceman and widower living on a housing estate succumbing to youth crime looks to avenge his best friend's murder by doling out his own form of justice.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One

I don't think I need to quote the blurb regarding the cast, director, or summary for this one

Hereafter

Quote:
Cast: Matt Damon, Bryce Dallas Howard, Cecile de France
Director: Clint Eastwood

Summary: "Hereafter" tells the story of three people -- a blue-collar American, a French journalist and a London school boy — who are touched by death in different ways.
Hippie Hippie Shake

Quote:
Cast: Cillian Murphy, Sienna Miller, Max Minghella, Emma Booth, Lee Ingleby
Director: Beeban Kidron

Summary: Follows the love story of Oz editor Richard Neville and Louise Ferrier. Neville and his cohorts launch the London edition of Oz amidst the 1960s counterculture and are subsequently put on trial for distributing a sexually explicit issue.

Hot Tub Time Machine

Quote:
Cast: John Cusack, Rob Corddry, Craig Robinson, Clark Duke, Crispin Glover
Director: Steve Pink

Summary: After a crazy night of drinking in a ski resort hot tub, four best friends who've become bored with their adult lives wake up in the year 1986. This is their chance to change their futures for the better, and in one case to ensure his existence.
This is another one that at first glance sounds incredibly dumb, but based on the trailers I think it might be really funny

Inception

Quote:
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Paige and Michael Caine
Director: Christopher Nolan

Summary: "The Prestige" and "The Dark Knight" director Christopher Nolan returns with the story of a CEO-type executive who finds himself becoming involved in a blackmailing scandal. The story is said to explore the architecture of the human mind.
Iron-Man 2
Quote:
Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Mickey Rourke, Gwyneth Paltrow, Sam Rockwell, Don Cheadle
Director: Jon Favreau

Summary: Having revealed his Iron Man identity to the public, billionaire inventor Tony Stark is unwilling to share his technology with the military, but forces outside his control plot against him.
Jonah Hex

Quote:
Cast: Josh Brolin, John Malkovich, Megan Fox, Michael Shannon, Michael Fassbender
Director: Jimmy Hayward

Summary: Based on the titular DC Comics character. In the Wild West, a scarred bounty hunter tracks down a dangerous ex-Confederate soldier trying to reignite the civil war and ensure the South will win this time
The Karate Kid

Quote:
Cast: Jaden Smith, Jackie Chan, Taraji P. Henson
Director: Harald Zwart

Summary: A young boy named Dre moves to Beijing with his mother, where he encounters bullying at his new high school. Taking lessons from Chinese martial arts master Mr. Han, he learns to stand up for himself.
In addition to Jackie Chan's involvement, I'm a bit of a fan of the original Karate Kid movies...so I'm naturally interested in seeing how this compares

The Killer Inside Me

Quote:
Cast: Casey Affleck, Kate Hudson, Jessica Alba, Simon Baker, Bill Pullman
Director: Michael Winterbottom

Summary: Everyone figures Lou Ford, a West Texas sheriff, to be a normal kind of guy. They don't see the ruthless, sociopathic murderer underneath and as victims pile up, suspicions begin to emerge.
Killers

Quote:
Cast: Ashton Kutcher, Katherine Heigl, Tom Selleck, Catherine O'Hara, Martin Mull
Director: Robert Luketic

Summary: A super-assassin who traded in an exotic lifestyle for domestic bliss. Three years on he learns he's the target of a multi-million dollar hit and the killers have been stalking them for years - thus it could be anyone, even close friends.
The King’s Speech

Quote:
Cast: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, Michael Gambon
Director: Tom Hooper

Summary: The story of King George VI, the father of Elizabeth II. After his brother abdicates, George reluctantly assumes the throne and with the help of an unorthodox speech therapist, he's able to find his voice and boldly lead the country into war.
Life As We Know It

Quote:
Cast: Katherine Heigl, Josh Duhamel, Christina Hendricks, Josh Lucas, Melissa McCarthy
Director: Greg Berlanti

Summary: The story follows two unattached adults whose worlds are turned upside down when their mutual best friends die in an accident and name them as caregivers for their orphaned daughter.
Little Fockers

Quote:
Cast: Ben Stiller, Robert De Niro, Owen Wilson, Teri Polo, Blythe Danner
Director: Paul Weitz

Summary: Third film in the series after "Meet the Parents" and "Meet the Fockers", the story revolves around Polo and Stiller's couple dealing with twin toddlers either on the way or recently born.
Love and other Drugs

Quote:
Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Anne Hathaway, Judy Greer, Gabriel Macht, Hank Azaria
Director: Ed Zwick

Summary: A salesman competes in the cutthroat world of pharmaceuticals to hawk a male erectile enhancement drug. He soon enters into a relationship with a free-spirited woman with Parkinson's disease who is already involved with a hotshot Prozac salesman.
Love and Other Impossible Pursuits

Quote:
Cast: Natalie Portman, Scott Cohen, Charlie Tahan
Director: Don Roos

Summary: Based on the Ayelet Waldman novel, the story revolves around a young woman who finds her relationship with her precocious stepson the key to recovering from a newborn's death, family issues and her marriage.
Nailed
Quote:
Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Jessica Biel, James Marsden, Catherine Keener, Tracy Morgan
Director: David O. Russell

Summary: A socially awkward small-town receptionist has a nail accidentally shot into her head by a clumsy workman, eliciting wild sexual urges. Going on a crusade to Washington to fight for the rights of the bizarrely injured, she meets an immoral congressman who takes advantage of her sex drive and her own career plans.
The Next Three Days

Quote:
Cast: Elizabeth Banks, Russell Crowe, Brian Dennehy, Olivia Wilde, Jason Beghe
Director: Paul Haggis

Summary: With no legal means left to him, an English teacher devises a daring plan and takes extreme actions to rescue his wife from jail where she has been wrongfully imprisoned for murder...or has she?.
Paul

Quote:
Cast: Nick Frost, Simon Pegg, Seth Rogen, Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig
Director: Greg Mottola

Summary: Two British sci-fi fanatics on an American road trip find their conspiracy dreams coming true when they encounter an escaped alien near Area 51. As they try to reunite him with his mother ship, they find 'Paul' has many more opinions than your typical ET.

Quote:
Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Gemma Arterton, Ben Kingsley, Alfred Molina
Director: Mike Newell

Summary: A fantasy adventure based on the popular video game. Set in medieval Persia, an adventurous prince teams up with a rival princess to find a time-manipulating dagger to help stop an angry vizier from unleashing a sandstorm that could destroy the world.
Red Tails

Quote:
Cast: Cuba Gooding Jr., Terrence Howard, Bryan Cranston, Nate Parker, David Oyelowo
Director: Anthony Hemingway

Summary: As WW2 takes a dire toll on Allied forces, the black pilots of the experimental Tuskegee training find discrimination keeping them grounded. When a mission so dangerous comes up no-one wants it, these airmen finally get to prove their mettle.
Robin Hood

Quote:
Cast: Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Mark Strong, Matthew Macfadyen, William Hurt
Director: Ridley Scott

Summary: In 13th century England, a former archer in the late King Richard's army assembles a band of marauders to confront corruption in the local town of Nottingham and lead an uprising against the crown that will forever alter the balance of world power.
The Rum Diary

Quote:
Cast: Johnny Depp, Aaron Eckhart, Amber Heard, Richard Jenkins, Giovanni Ribisi
Director: Bruce Robinson

Summary: The increasingly unhinged story of itinerant journalist Paul Kemp who left late 1950's New York City to start a more relaxed lifestyle working for a downtrodden newspaper in San Juan and becomes obsessed with the fiancee of a shady property dealer.
Salt

Quote:
Cast: Angelina Jolie, Liev Schreiber, Chiwetel Ejiofor
Director: Phillip Noyce

Summary: When a CIA agent is accused by a defector of being a Russian sleeper spy, she goes on the run to clear her name. Using her years of experience as a covert operative, she must elude capture or the world's most powerful forces will erase her entire existence.
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Quote:
Cast: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Chris Evans, Jason Schwartzmann
Director: Edgar Wright

Summary: Scott Pilgrim is the bass guitarist for the Toronto garage band Sex Bob-omb who has just met Ramona Flowers, the girl of his dreams. To keep her though he must face her increasingly vicious ex's - from infamous skateboarders to vegan rock stars and fearsomely identical twins.
Shutter Island

Quote:
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Michelle Williams
Director: Martin Scorsese

Summary: In 1954, two U.S. marshals are summoned to a remote island off Massachusetts to investigate the disappearance of a patient from a fortress-like hospital for the criminally insane. Once inside, one begins to doubt everything - even his own sanity.
The Social Network

Quote:
Cast: Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake, Rashida Jones, Max Minghella
Director: David Fincher

Summary: Deals with the three men - Mark Zuckerberg, Sean Parker and Eduardo Saverin - who were key in the founding of the popular social networking site Facebook and the eventual fall out between the three.
Stone

Quote:
Cast: Robert De Niro, Edward Norton, Milla Jovovich, Frances Conroy, Enver Gjokaj
Director: John Curran

Summary: A convicted arsonist looks to manipulate a parole officer into a plan to secure his parole by placing his beautiful wife in the lawman's path.
The Town

Quote:
Cast: Ben Affleck, Rebecca Hall, Jon Hamm, Jeremy Renner, Chris Cooper
Director: Ben Affleck

Summary: After briefly being taken hostage, a female bank manager lets her guard down when she meets an unassuming and rather charming man... not realizing he is the same man who led the gang of thieves that terrorised her days earlier.
The Tree of Life

Quote:
Cast: Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, Jessica Chastain, Fiona Shaw, Jackson Hurst
Director: Terrence Malick

Summary: The story centers around a family with three boys in the 1950s. The eldest son witnesses the loss of innocence.
Unstoppable

Quote:
Cast: Denzel Washington, Chris Pine, Rosario Dawson, Kevin Chapman
Director: Tony Scott

Summary: An engineer and his conductor in a separate locomotive are in a race against time to stop a runaway train carrying a cargo of combustible liquids and poisonous gas. If they can't bring it under control before it derails on a curve, the toxic spill will decimate a city.
Valentine's Day

Quote:
Cast: Julia Roberts, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, Jennifer Garner, Shirley MacLaine, Bradley Cooper, Ashton Kutcher, Jamie Foxx, Queen Latifah
Director: Garry Marshall

Summary: A comedy about intertwining couples and singles in Los Angeles who break-up and make-up based on the pressures and expectations of Valentine's Day. As these ten people's lives intersect on the romantic holiday, things will never be the same again for any of them.
The Way Back

Quote:
Cast: Colin Farrell, Ed Harris, Jim Sturgess, Mark Strong, Saoirse Ronan
Director: Peter Weir
Summary: When they escape a Siberian labor camp in 1940, seven courageous multi-national prisoners discover the true meaning of friendship as their epic journey takes them across thousands of miles of hostile terrain en-route to India and their freedom.
When In Rome

Quote:
Cast: Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel, Will Arnett, Alexis Dziena, Jon Heder
Director: Mark Steven Johnson

Summary: A young New Yorker, disillusioned with romance, plucks magic coins from a "foolish" fountain of love while visiting Rome and inexplicably ignites the passion of an odd group of suitors: a sausage magnate, a street magician, an adoring painter, a self-admiring model and a charming reporter.
The Womb

Quote:
Cast: Eva Green, Matt Smith, Lesley Manville, Peter Wight, Hannah Murray
Director: Benedek Fliegauf

Summary: Reunited childhood sweethearts Rebecca and Thomas pick up where they left off, that is until he dies in a car accident. The distraught Rebecca finds solace in plans to give birth to a clone of Thomas who grows up believing his father died. Then a woman whom Thomas had been seeing before Rebecca returned finds out about his clone.
Youth in Revolt

Quote:
Cast: Michael Cera, Portia Doubleday, Steve Buscemi, Ray Liotta, Justin Long
Director: Miguel Arteta

Summary: An affable teen with a taste for the finer things in life falls in love with a free-spirited girl on vacation. As family, geography and jealous ex-lovers conspire to keep these two apart, he develops a rebellious alter ego who will stop at nothing to be with her.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; February 16th, 2010 at 4:33 pm.
Old February 16th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Third Year

I am anxiously awaiting...

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief I know it's out, but my parents don't want to see it.

Cop Out

The Bounty Hunter

Hot Tub Time Machine

How to Train Your Dragon

Clash of the Titans I think I hyperventilated for about 2 minutes after I saw the trailer. Can't wait!

Kick-A**

Iron Man 2

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid I love these books.

Despicable Me

Ramona and Beezus Sort of...

Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I DUH!

Tron Legacy

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old February 16th, 2010, 4:10 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Death at a Funeral
I'd stay well away from this American remake of a great British comedy. I've seen the trailer and it looks quite bad.

Old February 16th, 2010, 10:34 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
I'd stay well away from this American remake of a great British comedy. I've seen the trailer and it looks quite bad.
The original is so much better. The british comedy in it is far better that the silly one-liners that were in the trailer, not to mention the entire plot is ripped off the original.

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives