Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Coming Soon in 2010

Old February 16th, 2010, 11:08 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: Coming Soon in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
I'd stay well away from this American remake of a great British comedy. I've seen the trailer and it looks quite bad.
Well, I haven't seen the original so that shouldn't really be a problem, should it? I mean I won't have the same level of expectations

BTW, I just watched the trailer. Other than the stupid thing with the midget (is this something they've added?) it looks pretty funny...

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; February 16th, 2010 at 11:13 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

The 'midget' is part of the plot, but the remake adds too many silly jokes. And they used the same actor

Watching the remake before the original will ruin seeing the original because you will know the whole plot.

I just compared trailers, and I can't beleive that the remake ripped that off too, but it removed the british humour and added some corny slapstick (They're even almost the same length).

2007 film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aAaDCwdnaQ
2010 film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RidTIIvXRM8

Remaking a 3-year-old film is criminal. Americans go too far to claim good british stuff as theirs too

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old February 17th, 2010, 12:15 pm
Secret Keeper

I just remembered a question that cropped up as I was reading through some of these preview articles...

What does it mean for a screenplay/script to make "The Black List"?

I thought being blacklisted was bad (ie McCarthy and communism) but in this case it sounds like it's something good. Anyone know?

Last edited by lcbaseball22; February 17th, 2010 at 12:18 pm.
Old February 17th, 2010, 1:42 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I just remembered a question that cropped up as I was reading through some of these preview articles...

What does it mean for a screenplay/script to make "The Black List"?

I thought being blacklisted was bad (ie McCarthy and communism) but in this case it sounds like it's something good. Anyone know?
If I'm not mistaken, the Black List is a collection, compiled annually, of the best unproduced scripts of the year.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; July 22nd, 2010 at 1:40 am.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 5:16 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Well, I haven't seen the original so that shouldn't really be a problem, should it?
No problem if you're happy with an inferior product.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 22nd, 2010, 5:41 pm
Banned

Quote:
BTW, I just watched the trailer. Other than the stupid thing with the midget (is this something they've added?) it looks pretty funny...
If by funny you mean adding a bunch of racial jokes that are the epitome of many black comedies, then yes, it looks funny.

I am now looking forward to Kevin Smith's Cop Out. I'll be seeing it this weekend.

Old February 28th, 2010, 10:43 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Dinner for Schmucks
The fact that they remade a comedy great annoys me so much. There is no way that this film could touch on the comedic rhythm or the wonderful performances in “Le diner de Cons”. Even sadder still due to the death of Jacques Villeret, who was supurb as idiot François Pignon. There is no way anyone could surpass his wonderful performance and I find it insulting that people dare to try. But that’s just me – I dislike remakes.

I completely forgot "Micmacs" was out this year – I have to get to see it sometime this week. I am really looking forward to Jean-Pierre Jeunet latest. The trailers look wonderful.

I am gespatchio Oh!
Old March 1st, 2010, 3:05 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlidia View Post
The fact that they remade a comedy great annoys me so much. There is no way that this film could touch on the comedic rhythm or the wonderful performances in “Le diner de Cons”. Even sadder still due to the death of Jacques Villeret, who was supurb as idiot François Pignon. There is no way anyone could surpass his wonderful performance and I find it insulting that people dare to try. But that’s just me – I dislike remakes.
Haven't seen the original but since the remake will star Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, and Zach Galifianakis I expect this to be really funny.

EDIT:

And as I just discovered it's being helmed by the director of Meet the Parents! Too bad Ben Stiller isn't a part of the project too...

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 1st, 2010 at 3:24 am.
Old March 9th, 2010, 1:07 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

I saw the trailer for Toy Story 3 today. It looks wonderful. Andy is going away to College. College?!?!?

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old June 5th, 2010, 8:57 pm
Third Year

Oh gosh. Ready?

Morning Glory
Burlesque
Life as We Know It
Machete
Resident Evil: Afterlife
You Again
The Other Guys
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
(only because of Mary Elizabeth Winstead)
The Last Airbender
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Salt
Dinner for Schmucks
Beastly
()
The Karate Kid (I wasn't interested but saw the trailer & it looked decent)
Jonah Hex
Knight & Day

Old June 9th, 2010, 1:21 pm
Secret Keeper

So I haven't been a fan of Tom Cruise for the last decade but I saw a trailer of his new movie Knight and Day co-starring Cameron Diaz a few days back and it looks pretty fun. I just may be a re-newed Cruise fan (as far as him as an actor anyways) after that movie, we'll see...

I've also seen a couple trailers for Dinner with Schmucks starring Steve Carrell and a whole bunch of other funny guys. It looks uh...interesting. I dunno, the trailers don't have me jumping with anticipation but there could be some good comedy in it...

And Adam Sandler, well he used to be one of my favs but it seems he's really gone downhill and Grown Ups doesn't look like to better that

Old June 9th, 2010, 7:13 pm
Representative Homosexual

Quote:
I've also seen a couple trailers for Dinner with Schmucks starring Steve Carrell and a whole bunch of other funny guys. It looks uh...interesting. I dunno, the trailers don't have me jumping with anticipation but there could be some good comedy in it.
From what I can guess from the trailer, it's based on this late '90s French film called The Dinner Game that is incredibly funny. I'm not sure this American remake will have preserved most of the best humour of that film, but it'll be interesting to see how this film does. I do often enjoy a remake, but I highly recommend the original.

Old June 9th, 2010, 7:22 pm
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda86 View Post
The Karate Kid
I am really looking forward to see this movie, from whatever videos have been released showing Jaden train with Jackie Chan and his crew, it seems to be a great movie.

Old June 9th, 2010, 8:51 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
From what I can guess from the trailer, it's based on this late '90s French film called The Dinner Game that is incredibly funny. I'm not sure this American remake will have preserved most of the best humour of that film, but it'll be interesting to see how this film does. I do often enjoy a remake, but I highly recommend the original.
Yes, I know that...but why does it look like there are (fantasy elements?) in it That's what has me confused and not so interested

Maybe I was seeing things in the trailers that weren't there. I dunno, but one of the trailers was very bizarre...

EDIT:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer...ucks/trailer-b

Ok, it was around the 1 minute mark and I guess it was just some guy that looks like a demon and the room is on fire or something

Regardless it looks a bit too weird for my tastes, but given it's cast I don't think it's one I can miss.

Ok, so here's the list of the ones I figure I might see at some point and their respective months of release...

January

Leap Year
The Book of Eli
When in Rome

February

Dear John
Cop Out

March

She’s Out of My League
The Bounty Hunter
The Runaways
Chloe
Hot Tub Time Machine

April

Clash of the Titans
Date Night
The Joneses
The Back Up Plan
Harry Brown

May

Robin Hood
Letters to Juliet
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

June

Killers
Get Him to the Greek
The A-Team
The Karate Kid
Jonah Hex
The Killer Inside Me
Knight and Day

July

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (hey, I've already seen the first two I may as well...and there's gonna be the added bonus of the DH trailer )
Inception
Salt
Get Low
Dinner for Schmucks

August

The Others Guys
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
The Switch
Going the Distance

September

The American
The Adjustment Bureau
The Town
You Again

October

The Social Network
Never Let Me Go
Life as we Know It
Red
Hereafter

November

Due Date
Morning Glory
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
The Next Three Days
Burlesque
Love and Other Drugs
The King’s Speech

December

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of Dawn Treader (as with Twilight, I've seen the first 2 movies so I may as well continue watching 'em)
Yogi Bear
How Do You Know
Baby Fockers
True Grit
Blue Valentine

Unannounced

Black Swan
The Debt
The Fighter
The Way Back
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
Hippie Hippie Shake
The Tree of Life
The Rum Diary
Rabbit Hole
Red Tails
Stone
Paul

Chances are of course, I won't see those all of those I mean there's 67 film listed there and last year I saw around 50 which was more then usual for me...and I've already seen 5 (Shutter Island, Green Zone, Iron Man 2, Valentine's Day, and Youth in Revolt) so at most I think I'll end up seeing about 40 or so more. The ones I'm most looking forward to and will almost surely see are the following...

Inception (I probably shouldn't say this on a Potter forum, but as amazing as the MTV DH preview was, this is #1 on my list at the moment)
Harry Potter and the Death Hallows: Part 1 (#2, at least until I've seen the full trailer )
Robin Hood (directed by Ridley Scott/starring Russell Crowe)
Knight and Day (Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz)
The Tree of Life (directed by Terrencestarring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn)
The Way Back (directed by: Peter Weir, starring: Colin Farrell, Ed Harris)
Black Swan (directed by: Darren Aronofsky, starring: Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Winona Ryder)
Love and Other Drugs (directed by: Edward Zwick, starring: Jake Gyllenhall, Ann Hathaway)
The Next Three Days (directed by: Paul Haggis, starring: Russell Crowe, Elizabeth Banks, Liam Neeson)
The American (starring: George Clooney)
The Adjustment Bureau (starring: Matt Damon, Emily Blunt)
Salt (directed by Philip Noyce, starring Angelina Jolie and Liev Schreiber)
Hereafter (directed by: Clint Eastwood, starring: Matt Damon)
Due Date (directed by Todd Phillips, starring Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis)
The Town (directed by: Ben Affleck, starring: Ben Affleck, Jeremy Renner, Blake Lively)
The A-Team (starring Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper, Sharlto Copley, Quinton Jackson, Jessica Biel)
The Karate Kid (starring Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith)
True Grit (directed by: Joel and Ethan Coen, starring: Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin)

June, July, September, and November look to be fantastic months!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; June 10th, 2010 at 12:08 am.
Old June 10th, 2010, 1:06 am
Representative Homosexual

Quote:
Ok, it was around the 1 minute mark and I guess it was just some guy that looks like a demon and the room is on fire or something
I can assure you there aren't any fantasy themes (at least in the original, so I doubt in this one either). The room was probably accidentally set on fire by one of the "schmucks" and one of them was dressed in a satyr costume.

Agreed - both of the trailers are sort of weird and don't fully describe the premise, which is a bunch of snobby rich people who get together and play this dinner game. You win the game by inviting the most foolish fool (that they can make fun either discreetly or not, it doesn't really matter because the fool is a fool) to the dinner. They meet these fools randomly. In the French original, the main guy met his fool on a train, for example. In any case, it's not fantasy; it'd probably be best described as dark comedy.

A French professor told me the play/screenplay was written because this was a real cultural phenomenon during the '90s in Paris, but I haven't really seen any solid information to back that up. I could believe it though. Humans are just that cruel. I'd say the remake is watchable much more for its premise than its cast.

Old June 11th, 2010, 6:09 pm
Fifth Year

The Adjustment Bureau looks good

Old June 12th, 2010, 1:25 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
I am really looking forward to see this movie, from whatever videos have been released showing Jaden train with Jackie Chan and his crew, it seems to be a great movie.
How did you feel when you heard a remake was going to be done? I love the original so when I first heard, I was nauseous but when I saw the trailer, it got me interested. The only part quite disturbing to me is when Jackie Chan stops the fight between Jaden Smith & the bullies & it looks like the bullies are trying to attack/fight Chan! Mean kids

Old June 12th, 2010, 2:48 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
Yeah, with Matt Damon it's bound to be good.

I can't say I've seen any particularly "bad" films that's he's in, though I was a bit disappointed with Invictus and not too thrilled by The Informant! Seems he's going the sci-fi/supernatural route this year, what with this and Hereafter. Those aren't my favorite genres by any means, but they look interesting enough to check out. With the latter being directed by Clint Eastwood it can't be missed. BTW, Damon's got a great co-star for The Adjustment Bureau...Emily Blunt is a talented and good looking actress

Last edited by lcbaseball22; June 12th, 2010 at 3:04 am.
Old June 12th, 2010, 6:48 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
June

Killers
Get Him to the Greek
The A-Team
The Karate Kid
Jonah Hex
The Killer Inside Me
Knight and Day
What?! No Toy Story 3?!

Old June 12th, 2010, 8:54 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana View Post
What?! No Toy Story 3?!
Well I haven't seen Toy Story 2 so...

Oh, and it seems a lot of places are predicting it to be one of the best movies of the year but like I said in the Oscar thread-

Quote:
A 2nd sequel in an animation series deserving of Best Picture consideration? Give me a break. I like the original as much as anyone but now they are just exploiting in. Let's nominate Shrek 4 while we're at it, LOL
I realize that Toy Story and Toy Story 2 both have 100% on RT, but how long can they keep the awesome streak going? I dunno, perhaps it's easier to please with animations...

If I get around to seeing the 2nd sometime and I'm just as impressed as I was with the original then perhaps I might check out the 3rd

Last edited by lcbaseball22; June 12th, 2010 at 9:07 am.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives