Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Coming Soon in 2010

Old June 13th, 2010, 9:35 am
Third Year

Re: Coming Soon in 2010

Does anyone know what Knight & Day is about? I get the gist from the trailer, 2 people fighting off people after them, but why? IMDB gives this plot
IMDBAn action-comedy centered on a fugitive couple on a glamorous and sometimes deadly adventure where nothing and no one - even themselves - are what they seem. Amid shifting alliances and unexpected betrayals, they race across the globe, with their survival ultimately hinging on the battle of truth vs. trust.

This plot kinda contradicts what the trailer seems to show, dontcha think? From the trailer, I get 2 people who are complete strangers & for some reason, Tom Cruise's character gets her involved in a chase. It's also very confusing because half the time, Cameron Diaz' character seems like she has no skills to fight but then the other half shows her in action. My theory is that this movie is about a spy or agent (Diaz) who gets memory loss & it's Cruise's job to bring her back to whatever, wherever to fight off bad people. I'm not very creative.

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:36 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda86 View Post
Does anyone know what Knight & Day is about? I get the gist from the trailer, 2 people fighting off people after them, but why? IMDB gives this plot...
Looks like Mr. and Mrs. Smith to me more or less...though they aren't married it seems. Hopefully this is better then the aforementioned. I enjoyed that film for what it's worth. It was entertaining and Brad and Angelina had amazing chemistry, but the way it played out was ridic.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; June 13th, 2010 at 11:38 am.
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:55 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Looks like Mr. and Mrs. Smith to me more or less...though they aren't married it seems. Hopefully this is better then the aforementioned. I enjoyed that film for what it's worth. It was entertaining and Brad and Angelina had amazing chemistry, but the way it played out was ridic.
Yeah...ridiculously good!

Old June 13th, 2010, 5:11 pm
Banned

Quote:
If I get around to seeing the 2nd sometime and I'm just as impressed as I was with the original then perhaps I might check out the 3rd
I don't think it's as good as the first. I am undecided on whether or not I'll see the third film, as I am not a fan of Pixar. I am going to make a prediction and say that Toy Story 3's TomatoMeter will not be higher than How to Train Your Dragon. Why do I think this? Because I think critics have become more cynical over the years, especially when it comes to franchises.

Old June 13th, 2010, 9:19 pm
Representative Homosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
I am going to make a prediction and say that Toy Story 3's TomatoMeter will not be higher than How to Train Your Dragon. Why do I think this? Because I think critics have become more cynical over the years, especially when it comes to franchises.
How To Train Your Dragon was also a really great animated film. It had fantastic animation but was coupled with a really clever and entertaining script. It's too soon to tell whether it was the best of the year, obviously, but I have a good feeling about it.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 1:19 am
Seventh Year

I'm gonna catch up with my list from months ago here, see how things worked out with the ones I've seen:

Quote:
Inception (I think Chris Nolan is the best director to emerge this decade, and this looks most intriguing.)
It's my favorite movie of the year so far; not as rich or complicated as, say, Memento, but when I say that, I'm not complaining, that's just a point of view. I think Nolan has once again done a great job of taking an abstract subject matter and making it accessible and structured and highly entertaining.

Quote:
Shutter Island (I have not read the book, but it's Scorsese, and it looks great.)
And it is great; the tension is maintained wonderfully throughout. It's a good year to be Leonardo DiCaprio.

Quote:
Alice in Wonderland (My favorite filmmaker, a director perfectly suited to this material [Tim Burton], a tremendous cast [Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall, Michael Sheen, Stephen Fry, Michael Gough, Christopher Lee...], and what looks to be a fitting use of 3-D)
I was slightly disappointed in this, but I guess in pretty nitpicky ways: for instance, it's a little bit of a letdown that it builds to something as formulaic as Alice slaying a dragon (the Jabberwocky). Also, the point of the wraparounds was so conventional: the brilliant, free-thinking Victorian-era girl trapped in an oppressively unimaginative social structure. I did really enjoy the film, though, and there's a lot to like, not least of which are the art direction, visual effects, and performances of Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, and Alan Rickman.

Quote:
Iron Man 2 (I like the first movie a lot, and there's every indication that this will be an improvement.)
I enjoyed it a lot; there isn't as much of a dramatic center as there was to the first, but the action sequences, and, much more so, the interplay between the characters (especially Tony & Pepper) make it worth seeing. The first is probably still superior, I guess I'll really decide when I get the Blu-ray.

Quote:
Robin Hood (This has been an interesting movie to follow, with some very significant script/concept changes over time. Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe work well together, too.)
I didn't care for it. It wasn't really a disappointment, because I started reading that this was a Gladiator-esque bleak, brooding attempt to place Robin Hood in history, I lost my anticipation for it. It's well made, but none of the action scenes stand out at all, and the only actor to make an impression is Cate Blanchett, who totally overpowers Crowe. I'd still like to see Ridley Scott take on a fun adventure story, but that's probably unlikely.

Quote:
Get Him to the Greek - (The spin-off for the Aldous Snow character from Forgetting Sarah Marshall - a hilarious movie, in my opinion, and Rusell Brand's very funny; who knows if the movie will work, but I'm optimistic.)
On the other hand, this was so much better than I expected. It's consistently funny throughout - and laugh-out-loud funny, and funny in ways that I imagine will hold up on repeated viewings - the camaraderie between Russell Brand and Jonah Hill is great and unique, and somehow by the end I actually cared about Aldous Snow as a character, not just a collection of crazy rock star mannerisms. After this and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Nicholas Stoller is 2 for 2.

Quote:
Toy Story 3 (As far as I'm concerned right now, Pixar can do no wrong. I was impressed by the trailer, it looks like a very moving film, not just a money-grab.)
It's an extremely close race between this and Inception for favorite film of the year so far. The highest compliment I can give this one is that it feels both like it has to exist and like it's always been around. It never feels like a sequel made to sell new merchandise.

Quote:
MacGruber (SNL sketches turned movies don't generally do well. To me, Will Forte's been the funniest cast member on the show since he joined in '02, but the MacGruber sketches thrive on their incredibly short length - set-up, payoff, explosion - so I have no idea how this'll work.)
It's not great, but I actually really liked it. It builds on the sketch surprisingly smoothly and Will Forte's very funny. (So is Val Kilmer, actually. )

And here are some titles I didn't mention last time that I'm looking forward to:

-Buried
-Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
-Machete
-The Expendables
-The Other Guys
-Megamind
-Due Date
-The Social Network
-TRON: Legacy
-True Grit, from the Coen Bros.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; July 23rd, 2010 at 1:54 am.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 2:11 am
Secret Keeper

Ok, here's my feelings towards some yet to be released films on my list based on trailers I saw with Inception. The Town looks great. I had this one down on my list of anticipated films for 2010 long ago...before I'd seen Gone Baby Gone, and now I've seen that I'm looking forward to this even more. I'm especially interested in seeing more of Jeremy Renner...was very impressed with his performance in Hurt Locker.

As for the others I had down on my list, well Due Date looks pretty funny and with Downey Jr. it should be one not to miss...but The Social Network looks awful and didn't draw good response from the audience. However with Fincher as director I won't completely dismiss it yet.

Unfortunately I didn't see a Deathly Hallows trailer before either viewing of Inception, but obviously that's back to my #1 anticipated now

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 23rd, 2010 at 2:16 am.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 2:23 am
Banned

Quote:
[...] but The Social Network looks awful and didn't draw good response from the audience. However with Fincher as director I won't completely dismiss it yet.
Do you have a link to an article that mentions audience reaction? I personally think the trailer is pretty good myself.

Old August 15th, 2010, 10:35 am
Secret Keeper

New trailers have surfaced!

Unstoppable

I think with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine it could be good, but I wanna know what's up with Tony Scott's recent train fetish. I mean didn't he just direct that Taking of Pelham movie that came out last year? Also, why has Denzel stopped picking good movies? If he ever breaks his working relationship with Scott I'd love to see him in a Nolan film someday...

Stone

I dunno, looks interesting. With De Niro, Edward Norton, and Mila Jovavitch it can't be too bad. Norton's accent is laughable though...

The American

Looks Bournesque, but that's certainly not a bad thing. And of course George Clooney is a great actor. Looking forward to this for sure.

The Next Three Days

Based on the trailer it looks great if you ask me. Russell Crowe is one of my favorite actors and I think Elizabeth Banks is a really under-rated actress (nice to see her stepping away from the rom-coms) so I'll definitely be checking this out, maybe even at the cinema. There's just one problem with that however...it comes out the same day as DH! Well maybe I'll pay for both...or sneak into this one after DH.

Love and Other Drugs

Another one that I think looks great. More of a rom-com then I think most were expecting, but for me at least that's not a bad thing.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; August 15th, 2010 at 11:29 am.
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:49 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
Do you have a link to an article that mentions audience reaction? I personally think the trailer is pretty good myself.
I'd be interested too. I think the idea sounds pretty silly but the fact that Trent Reznor agreed to do the score (and seems pretty excited about it) restores my faith since I really cannot see him agreeing to do it unless he was convinced it was a winner

Old August 16th, 2010, 11:59 am
Secret Keeper

Oh, there's no article, that I know of...I was just talking about the groans from the audience both times that I saw the trailer play before Inception. The only trailer with worse reception was probably Shyamalan's Devil Anyways, no idea who Trent is but the director is David Fincher and he's yet to really have a mis-step far as I'm aware, so it should be at least decent, but I don't see it being anything special...

Last edited by lcbaseball22; August 16th, 2010 at 12:07 pm.
Old August 16th, 2010, 1:29 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Oh, there's no article, that I know of...I was just talking about the groans from the audience both times that I saw the trailer play before Inception. The only trailer with worse reception was probably Shyamalan's Devil Anyways, no idea who Trent is but the director is David Fincher and he's yet to really have a mis-step far as I'm aware, so it should be at least decent, but I don't see it being anything special...
Trent Reznor is the mastermind behind Nine Inch Nails and consistently made quality music for the past two decades. He's the kind of person who isn't just going to throw his name around to projects is what I'm getting at. He's a highly respected musician and his reputation would be of the upmost importance to him I reckon. That is what gives me hope. Any movie starring Justin Timberlake instanatly makes me cringe. I hope it's good, at least for Reznor's sake.

Old August 16th, 2010, 8:51 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Trent Reznor is the mastermind behind Nine Inch Nails and consistently made quality music for the past two decades. He's the kind of person who isn't just going to throw his name around to projects is what I'm getting at. He's a highly respected musician and his reputation would be of the upmost importance to him I reckon. That is what gives me hope. Any movie starring Justin Timberlake instanatly makes me cringe. I hope it's good, at least for Reznor's sake.
I know what you mean, but Timberlake was surprisingly good in a movie called Alpha Dog from a few years back. I just saw it again recently, had forgotten how impressed I was with his acting. The movie as a whole isn't too bad either, very gut-wrenching though.

And I haven't seen Black Snake Moan, but my friend tells he was pretty good in that too.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; August 16th, 2010 at 8:59 pm.
Old August 31st, 2010, 6:32 am
Seventh Year

I just saw the Black Swan trailer, and that's definitely one I will seek out. It looks most intriguing. And it's great to see Natalie Portman in material that looks like it's challenged her.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 4:46 am
Secret Keeper

Looks like this could be a hell of a month for movies...

November

Due Date
127 Hours
Fair Game
Unstoppable
Morning Glory
Deathly Hallows: Part 1
The Next Three Days
Love and Other Drugs
The King's Speech

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 3rd, 2010 at 4:50 am.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives