Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

111th US Congress: Version 4

Old April 6th, 2010, 4:21 am
Renegade

Re: 111th US Congress: Version 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pox Voldius View Post
Obviously someone who's never had to depend on unemployment benefits.
I hear that! Honestly, this whole thing burns my toast. They shouldn't be playing politics with people's lives. It's hard enough losing your livelihood and being unable to find gainful employment. The last thing you need is a politician equating those receiving unemployment benefits to what Vernon Dursley would call "filthy layabouts."

Quote:
I was stuck on unemployment for the better part of last summer, and it was no walk in the park. (Not to mention how depressing it gets being stuck on unemployment for who knows how long simply because of a bad job market.) Glad my current temp job is still holding!
I'm glad it's holding together for you!

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2010, 2:02 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
Has anyone heard from the hundreds of thousands of Americans who aren't getting their unemployment checks this week? For the second month in a row, congressional Republicans have filibustered a bill extending the benefits of the nation's unemployed. Last month it was Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY), who is retiring when his term expires. This month it is Bunning and Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK).

At issue, supposedly, is how the extension(s) will be paid for. Bunning and Coburn want to redirect stimulus money to cover them. Democrats aren't buying the ploy. The water is further muddied by Senator John Kyl's (R-AZ) comment to the effect that unemployment benefits are "bad for the economy because they encourage people to stay jobless."
Why not pay for extended unemployment benefits with un-expended stimulus funds? That's actually a fiscally responsible manner of using those funds. Because the stimulus funds have already been appropriated and allocated, reallocating them is little more than a bookkeeping transaction and makes extending unemployment compensation virtually free. That sounds like a wise decision to me as opposed to authorizing more spending.

Since federal accounting is complicated, to say the least, let me explain why I believe using unexpended stimulus funds is a wise decision.

In the federal government the budget rules the day - not actual expenditures but budgeted expenditures. Nothing gets spent unless it's been budgeted. Authorization for expenditures comes from the Congress. So when the stimulus was passed Congress authorized the federal government to spend XYZ amount of money on stimulus type projects. That money was then allocated, based on Congressional directives, to state and federal agencies. Once the money was allocated it was "spent" in that it was reflected in the budget deficit (even though no payments had been made to anyone).

It's kind of like doing your household budget. You start with your income and deduct your projected expenses. Whatever is left after all of your projected expenses is extra. If you know you have to put in new carpeting you deduct a chunk of money for new carpeting which leaves you less available for other stuff (even though you haven't actually bought new carpet).

It's the same with the federal government, except that going over budget isn't allowed. Unexpended stimulus funds have already been deducted from the federal budget but haven't been committed or obligated to a specific project (other federal budgetary terms - used when specific projects and / or contracts for specific services have been agreed to though no cash has exchanged hands). Moving those funds from bucket A to bucket B is simply a bookkeeping matter (which needs Congressional approval to happen). It's kind of like the household budget example (see above) and deciding that you need a new transmission for your car instead of new carpeting. As a budgetary "transaction" you'd simple move the funds you allocated for new carpeting to getting a new transmission - even though you haven't spent a dime or even shopped for transmissions or carpeting.

So, from my perspective, with deficits running very negative, spending less is a good thing and using funds which have already been deducted from the budget and not purposed for something else is a wise decision.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan

Last edited by monster_mom; April 6th, 2010 at 2:22 pm.
Old April 6th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Winning Teamster

But are those funds not intended for something else?

Somehow, those funds were supposed to pay for specific projects, not unemployment benefits which, I assume, usually come out of a different pot?

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old April 6th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_mom View Post
Why not pay for extended unemployment benefits with un-expended stimulus funds? That's actually a fiscally responsible manner of using those funds. Because the stimulus funds have already been appropriated and allocated, reallocating them is little more than a bookkeeping transaction and makes extending unemployment compensation virtually free. That sounds like a wise decision to me as opposed to authorizing more spending.
Because the stimulus funds are allocated for projects that will produce jobs over time, as has been happening for the past year. The experts who are paid to look at the macroeconomic picture have told us so in no uncertain terms. I'm not just talking about Obama Administration folks, but instead the best-known economic research firms - IHS Global Insight, Macroeconomic Advisers and Moody’s Economy.com.

David Leonardt, New York Times Economist"They all estimate that the bill has added 1.6 million to 1.8 million jobs so far and that its ultimate impact will be roughly 2.5 million jobs. The Congressional Budget Office, an independent agency, considers these estimates to be conservative."

Republicans opposed the stimulus as a political gambit to leave Democrats holding the bag for an economy that was sure to be weak in 2010, even if their policies had made it stronger than it otherwise would have been. They lost that battle, but seem to be unwilling to abandon their strategy entirely.

Democrats, on the other hand, are unwilling to buy into anything by way of contracting the stimulus spending, which could nip the recovery in the bud.

So while Congress argues over Keynes and Rand, people are still hurting out there. If this extension were to come to a vote, it would pass handily with overwhelming support in the Senate. Republicans would not dare to vote against it, funded or not, so instead they've chosen to obstruct it to make a point that seems almost silly in the larger picture.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

August 28, 2013

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old April 7th, 2010, 1:07 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Because the stimulus funds are allocated for projects that will produce jobs over time, as has been happening for the past year. The experts who are paid to look at the macroeconomic picture have told us so in no uncertain terms. I'm not just talking about Obama Administration folks, but instead the best-known economic research firms - IHS Global Insight, Macroeconomic Advisers and Moody’s Economy.com.
What projects? Much of the stimulus money that hasn't been committed to a project yet is sitting around waiting for projects to be committed to. Why not use that money that isn't designated to a particular project to extend unemployment. The argument I've heard is that extending unemployment compensation is vital for those folks whose unemployment has run out. If it's that vital then reallocating funds that are just sitting around to do something vital seems like a good thing.

Quote:
So while Congress argues over Keynes and Rand, people are still hurting out there. If this extension were to come to a vote, it would pass handily with overwhelming support in the Senate. Republicans would not dare to vote against it, funded or not, so instead they've chosen to obstruct it to make a point that seems almost silly in the larger picture.
You call it obstruction while I call it being fiscally responsible. We're going to have to pay for all this spending sometime. Rather than just spending more we ought to be tightening our belts and consider using available funds that aren't doing anything rather then just spending more money we don't have.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan
Old April 7th, 2010, 1:36 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Both Purp and Mom - I just searched for backup to both of your contentions regarding the impact of taking the extended unemployment benefits from stimulus funding money, and I couldn't find backup for either claim. What I was able to find is that a lot of the allocated money has not been spent yet. This is quite different than "just sitting around waiting for a project to be committed to", since for instance in the project I'm on a large portion of the money hasn't been released by the federal government yet, but they're going to release it later, assuming my group doesn't try to defraud the government, etc. But, on the flip side, it does not address the issue of whether there is 5, 10, or 20 billion that hasn't been promised to a state, company, professor, etc.

If someone could find a link (recovery.gov has a lot of data, but I couldn't find a specific thing that noted how much remained to be awarded), that'd help. Right now both of you are making opposite claims, with zero proof of the claim, and in researching the two claims, I found zero proof for both contentions.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old April 7th, 2010, 3:33 am
Renegade

The "overview of funding" on the Recovery.org home page shows how much has been paid-out in the three major categories: (1) Tax Benefits - $99.1B; (2) Contracts, Grants and Loans - $88.6B; and (3) Entitlements - $120.2B. These figures were updated as of March 26, 2010.

Proposals are arriving all the time. As you'll note, you can request Stimulus money for a new small business start-up and all kinds of other things. The proposals are subjected to an exhaustive approval process before any funds are awarded. Moreover, the oversight and accountability requirements are stringent. ARARA is NOT your typical Washington-based "throw-money-at-the-problem" type of program.

Does this answer your question, Chris?

August 28, 2013

Old April 7th, 2010, 6:20 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Not really, since it doesn't address whether there is 20 billion or whatever the figure is that hasn't been allocated to a specific purpose yet. That is, it doesn't address the core question: would taking money out of the stimulus pot to pay extended benefits take money away from an agency or people who already expect the money and have budgeted accordingly?

If you can still apply for a grant, that at least implies that there's some money that has been allocated to an agency but hasn't been awarded yet. But how much there is, which agencies have yet to figure out what to do, etc - all that remains to be answered, if we're to even address the question of whether the Republican senators' plans are even practical, or if it'd be a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old April 7th, 2010, 7:05 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Why not use the $20b to set up a WPA for some of the 15M unemployed?

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 7th, 2010, 9:33 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If you can still apply for a grant, that at least implies that there's some money that has been allocated to an agency but hasn't been awarded yet. But how much there is, which agencies have yet to figure out what to do, etc - all that remains to be answered, if we're to even address the question of whether the Republican senators' plans are even practical, or if it'd be a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I think if one approaches this just by thinking about it logically, I would say that even IF there is money left (and it seems that there is, from what Purp says), it doesn't really make much sense to spend that money on unemployment benefits.

Isn't the stimulus earmarked to be spent in ways that are in some ways supposed to create jobs?

Now, one can argue whether all of it has been spent in a way that was productive towards that goal. But if you spend it simply on unemployment benefits you can be *certain* that it won't create jobs. It will help unemployed people - surely a worthy goal, but it won't be spent in the way it was intended.

Hence, it strikes me as a rather frivolous suggestion, especially if it is repeatedly used as an argument to hold up payments for those same unemployed people. If that action is coming from people who have stated that some unemployed people might be better off and employed faster without those benefits (as linked by Purplehawk above) and people who were generally against the stimulus in the first place, the whole action and argument seems a little suspicious. IMHO.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old April 7th, 2010, 3:09 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

*sigh*

What seemed obvious at the start has proved to be true. Fox's ACORN "expose" which had so much play during the election was nothing but an elaborate fraud.

Salon

As Maddow said this doesn't excuse the real misdeeds of some ACORN employees but it was this fraud supported by Fox's wall-to-wall coverage which killed an organisation charged with empowering the poor and disenfranchished.

Which is par for the course for News Ltd which never picks a fight with people who can fight back.

"California Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown said in a report Thursday that the community organizing group ACORN engaged in "highly inappropriate behavior" in the state but violated no criminal law."

LA Times

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 7th, 2010, 5:42 pm
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
Isn't the stimulus earmarked to be spent in ways that are in some ways supposed to create jobs?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio
Hence, it strikes me as a rather frivolous suggestion, especially if it is repeatedly used as an argument to hold up payments for those same unemployed people. If that action is coming from people who have stated that some unemployed people might be better off and employed faster without those benefits (as linked by Purplehawk above) and people who were generally against the stimulus in the first place, the whole action and argument seems a little suspicious. IMHO.
You've nailed what's going on here. Obstruct the payment of unemployment benefits, get a lot of people upset and less likely to vote for Democrats in November. Or, at the very least, get their way and then later claim that the stimulus "didn't work." They're still playing politics with people's lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab
As Maddow said this doesn't excuse the real misdeeds of some ACORN employees but it was this fraud supported by Fox's wall-to-wall coverage which killed an organisation charged with empowering the poor and disenfranchished.

Which is par for the course for News Ltd which never picks a fight with people who can fight back.

"California Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown said in a report Thursday that the community organizing group ACORN engaged in "highly inappropriate behavior" in the state but violated no criminal law."
Brown's investigation was the third in as many attempts to note that the O'Keefe videos were "severely edited," using Brown's terminology, to create a false impression of what happened in those ACORN offices. One employee called the police on O'Keefe and his gal pal. Another threw them out of the office. The images of O'Keefe looking like Super Fly were edited in at the beginning and end of the videos. He was not wearing that flamboyant garb when he visited any ACORN office.

Add to all this the federal court ruling that the Republican-led ban on ACORN funding was unconstitutional - the U.S. Constitution does not permit trial and conviction by legislature - we have a sorry example of just how ugly America can be.

August 28, 2013

Old April 7th, 2010, 8:21 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
You've nailed what's going on here. Obstruct the payment of unemployment benefits, get a lot of people upset and less likely to vote for Democrats in November. Or, at the very least, get their way and then later claim that the stimulus "didn't work." They're still playing politics with people's lives.
Obstructionism goes both ways. If the funds are available and have not been committed to projects then why not re-allocate them to help extend unemployment benefits so that taxpayers don't have to pay for even more spending?

BTW - Chris - the words appropriated, allocated, committed, and obligated mean different things from a government accounting standpoint. This is very high level and simplified, but here goes.

Congress appropriates funds to the various federal agencies for high level "things" like the stimulus in legislation and funding bills it passes. The funds that the Congress appropriates are allocated to federal agencies for that high level purpose. Those agencies are then tasked with figuring out how to spend the money that has been allocated to them.

The agencies figure out what stuff they want to pursue and they commit funds to that stuff. For instance, FEMA might decide to commit spending $20 million for building desalination plants in the Gulf Coast region. At this point no contracts have been signed or even agreed to. The federal agency has just decided that, pursuant to the authority granted to them by Congress, they will undertake projects to do XY or Z that cost up to a set amount.

From those committed funds, the agency will execute bids and sign contracts. Once an agreement is reached the funds are obligated. Because these contracts involve the federal government, a contract to provide services to the federal government obligates the "contractor" to provide the services and the government to pay the negotiated fee. Purchase requisitions, purchase orders, and invoices are then paid out of the obligated funds.

Here's an example. In the stimulus the government appropriated approximately $819 billion. Of that, $4.9 billion was allocated to the US Dept of Education. Secretary Duncan committed $350 million of the US Dept of Eds allocation to developing a common national assessment. $10 million of that obligated when the US Dept of Ed signed a contract with Education Testing Services to develop some aspect of the national assessment.

Assuming this was the only stimulus transaction (it's an example, so bear with me) that means that of the $819 billion appropriated, $4.9 billion has been allocated to the US Dept of Ed, $350 million has been committed to developing a national assessment, and $10 has been obligated to a federal contractor to develop some aspect of that assessment.

So, if the money hasn't been allocated then it does not belong to any agency for anything. Even if it's been allocated to an agency but not committed, then it's still just sitting around waiting for a purpose. If it's been committed then it has a purpose, but no contracts have been signed so there is no legal obligation for the feds to provide that money to anyone. If it has been obligated then there are contracts and the feds are under a legal obligation to pay (assuming acceptable services are provided).

My understanding is that the Republicans were asking for unallocated stimulus funds to be allocated to whichever agencies manage unemployment to extend unemployment compensation for unemployed people for a few more months. We're not talking about taking stimulus funds that have been committed for transportation projects, or to develop a common national assessment. We're talking about funds which have been appropriated for the stimulus but have not been allocated to any federal agency.

Old April 7th, 2010, 8:26 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Believe it or not, I actually not only understood that...I already knew that. My core question is: how much has been appropriated but not allocated? So far, no one's answered that question, and that's the core, key question behind whether Coburn and Bunning's plan to reallocate stimulus funds is even viable.

What's not in dispute is that much of the stimulus funding has not been spent yet. But the exact figure, or even ballpark, of how much remains to be allocated (ie, no one is actually counting on the money), hasn't been answered.

Old April 8th, 2010, 3:26 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Believe it or not, I actually not only understood that...I already knew that. My core question is: how much has been appropriated but not allocated? So far, no one's answered that question, and that's the core, key question behind whether Coburn and Bunning's plan to reallocate stimulus funds is even viable.
From what I understand, $485 billion of the original stimulus funds have not been committed or obligated. They may or may not have been allocated to federal agencies - I can't determine that from the available information. Allocated or not, they are funds which have not been tied to a particular thing (and projects aren't limited in scope or timing so a federal agency could commit allocated funds for a yet to be determined project some 3 years in the future).

Extending unemployment compensation for one more month (and that's what's being proposed - a one month extension of unemployment compensation) was estimated by the CBO to coast about $10 billion. If we use the term available for any funds which have not been committed or obligated (the $485 billion), then extending unemployment benefits would "use" slightly more than 2% of the available stimulus money leaving 98% for stimulating stuff.

If extending these benefits is so gosh darn important, and the funds are available and comprise an insignificant amount of the available stimulus funds, why not pay for it out of available stimulus money?

Old April 8th, 2010, 3:37 am
Renegade

I can't answer your question with specifics, but I've been told the stimulus spending is proceeding "according to plan" and there is not a large pile of cash no one knows what to do with.

On the other hand, I think that playing politics with the livelihoods of those hit hardest by by the recession is not the way to go. I'd be willing to bet that neither Bunning nor Coburn know (nor care) how much of the stimulus is presently uncommitted to a specific project. This is just partisan gamesmanship. Bunning pulled this same stunt in March. When he ended his filibuster, under pressure, the extension passed with a 78-19 vote.

The 19 'no' votes came from GOP Sens. Lamar Alexander (Tenn.), John Barrasso (Wyo.), Robert Bennett (Utah), Bunning, Richard Burr (N.C.), Tom Coburn (Okla.), Bob Corker (Tenn.), John Cornyn (Texas), Mike Crapo (Idaho), Jim DeMint (S.C.), John Ensign (Nev.), Mike Enzi (Wyo.), Judd Gregg (N.H.), Orrin Hatch (Utah), Mike Johanns (Neb.), Mitch McConnell (Ky.), Jim Risch (Idaho), Jeff Sessions (Ala.) and John Thune (S.D.).

I have a hard time with these guys when it comes to pretending to be deficit hawks. They were all "ayes" on two unpaid tax cuts, for the unpaid NCLB program, the Medicare-D program, and for two costly wars. The national debt more than doubled on their watch, so you'll excuse me for for not taking them entirely seriously.

There have been two arrests in as many days for death threats to Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senator Patty Murray (D-WA). Both perps are anti-health care conservatives; Murray's was a tea party protester as well. The group Remember Us, We the People has claimed that he was not a member of their organization although there is proof he attended a tea party event on April 1, 2010.

August 28, 2013

Old April 8th, 2010, 3:45 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
I can't answer your question with specifics, but I've been told the stimulus spending is proceeding "according to plan" and there is not a large pile of cash no one knows what to do with.
If they know what they're going to do with the funds then why haven't they been committed?

Quote:
On the other hand, I think that playing politics with the livelihoods of those hit hardest by by the recession is not the way to go. I'd be willing to bet that neither Bunning nor Coburn know (nor care) how much of the stimulus is presently uncommitted to a specific project. This is just partisan gamesmanship. Bunning pulled this same stunt in March. When he ended his filibuster, under pressure, the extension passed with a 78-19 vote.
How is it partisan gamesmanship to ask that additional spending be paid for (under Pay-Go which I seem to recall you supported) and that unallocated stimulus funds be used. That way the people whose livelihoods depend on getting one more month of unemployment compensation can get it without disruption and, as the money has already been set aside for spending, it doesn't cost a thing. Paying for the extension out of the stimulus seems like a no-brainer to me.

Old April 8th, 2010, 6:02 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

485 billion would imply that every single penny that wasn't in tax cuts or state fiscal problems relief hasn't been allocated and committed yet. That simply can't be right. Looking at the recovery page, that appears to be the figure that hasn't been paid out. And, much of that figure has been allocated and committed to specific purposes. So, whatever the figure is, it isn't $485 billion. That's much too high.

Quote:
Tax Benefits $288B $99.1B
Contracts, Grants, Loans $275B $88.6B
Entitlements $224B $120.2B
First figure: appropriate / allocated funds. Second figure: Actual paid out as of March 26th.

So they haven't spent $485 billion as of 2 weeks ago. But they've commited much of that $485 billion - to projects like the one I'm on and much more - so there's far less than $485 billion remaining. The actual appropriated, unallocated, uncommitted figure remains to be determined. There very well may be $10 billion left to pay for the extended unemployment benefits this month, and perhaps even $30 or $40 billion left to keep tapping that pot for 3 or 4 more months. But there's no way $485 billion is correct, since I can assure you that $15 billion of that - 3/4 of the NIH portion - has been committed but not paid out. And many other agencies are in the same situation, not to mention the tax relief that hasn't gone through since not everyone has filed their taxes and not every penny going to help the states out through their own budget crises has actually gone there.

Last edited by Chris; April 8th, 2010 at 6:17 am.
Old April 8th, 2010, 3:37 pm
Curse Breaker

I got the $485 billion from Recovery.gov. Clearly there's something amiss in the Recovery.gov site .

You guys have all ignored my core question, however. We know that only a portion of the stimulus has been spent (apparently disproportionately more in Democratic districts than Republican districts). If the funds are available from the stimulus, and haven't been spent or committed to other projects, then why wouldn't reallocating them to provide an extension of unemployment compensation be a good decision? Why is it political gamesmanship to ask for a shred of fiscal responsibility?

Old April 8th, 2010, 4:03 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Speaking to your core question, it's very hard to answer that, when the exact amount of uncommitted funds isn't known. I actually expect that there's probably enough for one extension, maybe two, but most of the rest of the funds are already committed, and it becomes an issue of robbing Peter to pay Paul. It's pretty clear on recovery.gov that $485 billion is the figure that hasn't been paid out - that label "funds paid out" is clear - and considering their bar graph includes three categories, I have to expect much of the rest is committed. So there is absolutely no way that $485 billion is just sitting around waiting to be committed - the actual figure is likely to be far, far smaller. So far, no one's actually come up with a link that shows how much has been appropriated to various departments, states, and tax cuts and perhaps even allocated to certain uses within the departments, states, and for tax cuts (there was a lot of them in the stimulus - $288 billion worth, actually - so that's $188 billion in unclaimed tax cuts to lop off the $485 billion figure already, leaving roughly $300 billion, of which another $100 billion is unspent entitlements, leaving $200 billion in unspent contracts, grants, and loans), that hasn't been committed to uses like funding research, energy efficient appliance upgrades, etc. Each of those links is to an area where money has already been committed but much of the spending hasn't shown up on the recovery.gov website.

My best guess is that the "fiscally responsible plan" you're advocating would only work for a month or two and it would rob the stimulus act of any remaining flexibility it has in terms of shifting allocated funds which haven't been committed yet. I'd be happier with tapping recovered TARP money or cutting a defense department program that has outlived its usefulness than I would be with tapping into a well that is really helping a lot of people already, if Congress is going to try to keep the money "even".

That stimulus funding study was flawed, and the author has agreed to relook at the data after Nate Silver's critique. The flaw? She didn't factor in state capital as an independent variable. Since most of the high-earning districts are state capitals, and those districts are overwhelmingly democratic, that is a pretty bad flaw. The top 18 districts in funds were all state capitals.

Silver does note that her analysis may yet still be OK, but she probably needs to look at some other variables, too, to see if the correlation she found means something or not. Other factors, including who's awarding the funds, socioeconomic status of the districts, etc, all need to be looked at, before her charges of bias can really hold water.

ETA: just noticed on politico's morning email a comment from an unidentified Republican aide that I'm in complete agreement with, regarding ratifying the newest nuke treaty. He mentioned that
Quote:
The key will be whether or not it’s verifiable and whether or not it truly keeps missile defense protected
Assuming both factors are OK (and I think they are), then I see no reason not to ratify it. The latter they say is fine, and I believe it, but checking for loopholes is prudent.

ETA2:
CNN's bailout tracker got similar numbers to me, and their term for spent is "invested". About $200 billion according to them has been committed but not invested in non-tax relief purposes.

Propublica has a more detailed chart available, where it's clear that some agencies who have been allocated funding would have their share cut. They list $222 billion "left to spend", and even give a breakdown of which departments have not spent their share, so that could be helpful to determine which department to take the money away from (for instance, we could take the $10 billion from the Department of Transportation this month, and next month we can start tapping the Department of Energy, etc). I have to think this chart does not take into account awarded grants that have portions that have not been spent yet, but that's less clear. What is abundantly clear, however, is the plan to take unspent stimulus money would actually take the $ away from departments that have been allocated the money, and who are likely at the minimum planning what to do with it if not already in the act of doing something with it (that's my bet).

Last edited by Chris; April 8th, 2010 at 4:27 pm.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives