Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

111th US Congress: Version 4

Old June 2nd, 2010, 4:21 am
Curse Breaker

Re: 111th US Congress: Version 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
And Reagan and Hayakawa?

The problem I have with this has more to do with the disparate standard the GOPers seem determined to apply to President Obama and his administration. There have been any number of instances in which they've attempted to make something he did, or was planning to do, as being outside the ordinary. Porter Goss was tapped as CIA Director while still serving in Congress, making way for Pete Hoekstra to take over as chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, and for Bush family favorite Connie Mack to assume Goss' seat. No one said a word about it.
Perhaps because there's no similarity between the two?

Goss was not running for re-election for his seat when he was appointed to head the CIA as he'd announced his retirement from Congress many months earlier. Mack entered and barely won the Republican primary for Goss' seat, but as Goss was not running for re-election, Mack wasn't engaged in a fight against Goss.

I'm not sure how that's similar to someone offering Sestak a position within the executive branch if he'd drop out of the primary.

When Sestak was offered the positions he was in a close race against Specter to be the Democratic Senatorial candidate from Penn. Had Sestak dropped out, Specter, whom the administration backed, would have been the candidate.

I also not sure what Hoekstra taking over as chairman of the House Intelligence Committee has to do with anything. The GOP was in control of Congress in 2004 when Goss stepped down from his seat. As the party in control, the GOP gets to appoint committee chairs and Hoekstra was selected to replace Goss as Chair of the House Intelligence Committee.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan

Last edited by monster_mom; June 2nd, 2010 at 4:24 am.
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2010, 3:44 pm
Renegade

My understanding of that Goss-Hoekstra-Mack business is what I've already stated, but I doubt the mods will be thrilled with us rehashing the Bush administration.

My point is that Issa's "impeachable offense" is bullpucky. I think you realize that. And Issa is himself living in a glass house that is hardly stone-proof.

I don't look forward to reprise of what Republicans were doing when Bill Clinton was in office. I don't think the taxpayers should have to pay for another round of something like that.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 7:10 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
I don't look forward to reprise of what Republicans were doing when Bill Clinton was in office.
As for this thread, neither do I. Kindly stick to the 111th Congrees, both of you.

The question here is not who, if anyone, did something similar in the past but did Bill Clinton make this offer to Sestak? And if he did, who's idea was it?

And then, of course whom or what body should be in charge of finding it out?

Old June 2nd, 2010, 7:42 pm
Renegade

Clinton has admitted asking if Sestak would be interested in an unpaid position, while remaining in the House of Representatives. Sestak has confirmed that account of their conversation.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

August 28, 2013

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:33 am
Renegade

The latest flap in South Carolina involves Senate nominee Alvin Greene's (D) mysterious campaign. I'm not sure if it even qualifies as a campaign, although he won in a landslide. Greene didn't bother campaigning. His sole action was to pay the $10,400 fee required to enter the race. He has a pending criminal case and is unemployed, so the question of where the money came from is being asked by South Carolina Democrats, most notably by House Minority Whip James Clyburn (D-SC), who is also facing a challenge by Democratic candidate Gregory Brown In fact, Clyburn has said he believes there are as many as three candidates who are transparent "plants" running for office in South Carolina this year.

Green is now running against Senator Jim DeMint. Brown insists that he is a legitimate contender for Clyburn's seat, but his FEC filings show his largest campaign payment was to a firm run by a GOP political consultant who is best known as Wilson's former campaign manager, as recently as last year, and who currently works for other South Carolina Republicans. Who's Wilson? That would be Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC), the same Rep. Joe Wilson who yelled "You lie!" to President Obama during his speech before a joint session of Congress last year.

Talk about a mess!

August 28, 2013

Last edited by purplehawk; June 12th, 2010 at 4:24 pm.
Old June 12th, 2010, 6:33 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
In fact, Clyburn has said he believes there are as many as three candidates who are transparent "plants" running for office in South Carolina this year.
Why would the GOP bother with plants when you have Obama endorsing condidates like Blanche Lincoln?

A principled president with the courage of his convictions would have refused to endorse someone who was instrumental in thwarting some of his major platforms including the private option and climate change legislation.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old June 12th, 2010, 6:59 pm
Renegade

I have never entirely understood his support of Blanche Lincoln. She did come through on some crucial votes relative to the Affordable Care Act, when Republicans were asking for a supermajority for even the simplest of procedural moves. I confess to have hoped Halter would pull this one off.

ETA:

This may just be the quote of the year.

Alvin Green, Democratic Senate Challenger to Jim DeMint
"I'm the Democratic Party nominee," Greene says in the interview at his father's home on a lonely stretch of rural highway in central South Carolina. "The people have spoken. The people of South Carolina have spoken. The people of South Carolina have spoken. We have to be pro-South Carolina. The people of South Carolina have spoken. We have to be pro-South Carolina."

The South Carolina Democratic Party has asked Green to step down based on his pending criminal trial. It'll be interesting to see how he responds.

I mentioned questions about how Green came up with the $10,400 filing fee. I'd like to ask another: Why on earth does it cost so much to run for office in South Carolina?

August 28, 2013

Last edited by purplehawk; June 12th, 2010 at 10:17 pm.
Old June 13th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
I mentioned questions about how Green came up with the $10,400 filing fee. I'd like to ask another: Why on earth does it cost so much to run for office in South Carolina?
That's a good question. I wonder how much it costs in Virginia?

The "events" in SC have been good for a a few giggles. Things in VA may be freaky but SC puts us to shame!

UPDATE***

Here is what I found about running for office in Virginia. I went to the State Board of Elections web site and downloaded the candidate information form. I couldn't find the form for Senate so I grabbed US House. Here's what it said about filing fees:

Quote:
VIII. PRIMARY FILING FEE REV 12/8/09

As the name suggests, this fee is required to be filed ONLY by primary election candidates. The amount required to be paid is 2% of the annual salary for the office sought in effect in the year in which the candidate files. The salary for this office is:
$174,000 x .02 = $3,480 primary filing fee

NOTE: Candidates who are nominated by a political party by a method other than a primary election may be required to pay a filing fee. This fee is determined by the rules of the political party. Contact your district chair for details.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan

Last edited by monster_mom; June 13th, 2010 at 3:24 pm.
Old June 13th, 2010, 6:43 pm
Renegade

I found the answer at Slate:

SlateSouth Carolina is one of the most expensive states to become a candidate for U.S. Senate because it charges candidates 1 percent of their expected salary as a filing fee. Instead of computing the fee based on the annual salary, the state bases it on the annual salary multiplied by the years in the term of office. The annual salary for a U.S. senator is $174,000, and the term is six years, for a grand total of $1.044 million. One percent of that is $10,440. (If Greene were running for the House, whose members earn the same salary as senators, he would have had to pay a fee of only $3,480, because House members serve for only two years.)

You know, I think Clyburn may be right. This candidate doesn't feel right. Neither does Gregory Brown, the man who is challenging Clyburn himself. Brown's Republican ties are too deep not to arouse suspicion, and Green is just a jaw-dropper.

August 28, 2013

Old June 13th, 2010, 8:17 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

No making fun of SC unless you live here.

Alright, I guess it's okay for outsiders to make fun. I did it, too, when I didn't live here. This is a place, as I've come to see, that doesn't seem to have very many laws. I think it should be taken that it might be easier to run for office here since this is where Steve Colbert wanted to put his name on the ballot (might have been cheaper or something) for president.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old June 14th, 2010, 2:31 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
No making fun of SC unless you live here.
We live there for a couple of weeks each year when we vacation on the shore - does the count???

Here are my questions - is Green running for US Senate as the Democratic nominee or is he in the primary to be the Democratic nominee? I heard one clip where he said he got 60% of the vote (or some such thing) which seemed to imply that he won the primary, but I just can't imagine that happening. If he did win the primary, who did he run against?

**** Update ****

Sorry for the stupid questions - I did some more research and it seems the guy "reportedly" won the primary and will be the Democratic nominee for US Senate. Apparently the SC election board has launched an investigation into the primary because the percentage Green won is too high to be believed. One election person in an article I read suggested that, since the names were listed alphabetically and Green was listed first, some people may pushed the button beside his name and had no idea who they were voting for or why.

I agree that the people of SC deserve the best candidate possible, but if Green did in fact win the primary (meaning that there wasn't some sort of technical problem in calculating the votes and Green is qualified to serve), then Green is the Democratic nominee.

Last edited by monster_mom; June 14th, 2010 at 2:53 pm.
Old June 14th, 2010, 4:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Why would the GOP bother with plants when you have Obama endorsing condidates like Blanche Lincoln?
Because without her, and the supermajority she represents, the Republicans will fillabuster much more. Democrats need every seat because if we don't have 60 seats the Republicans will block everything (and to be fair the Democrats did their fair share of fillabustering when they were in the minority). Lincoln, is a 'moderate' Democrat'. A 'moderate Democrat' who can hold her seat is better then a conservative Republican any day of the week. Also, I may be wrong, but wasn't she endorsed after the primary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
A principled president with the courage of his convictions would have refused to endorse someone who was instrumental in thwarting some of his major platforms including the private option and climate change legislation.
Every President has to deal with realpolitic as well as idealism. Though, I'm not a Blanche Lincoln fan, I understand why he did what he did and I want her to win....now. Also the challenge was probably not in vain because honestly, she'll need the Halter people to support her over the next six years or the next challenge will succeed.

All the Best,

Lunatic

Old June 14th, 2010, 7:09 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_mom View Post
We live there for a couple of weeks each year when we vacation on the shore - does the count???
The shore? Are you sure you're coming to a beach in the south?

Quote:
Here are my questions - is Green running for US Senate as the Democratic nominee or is he in the primary to be the Democratic nominee? I heard one clip where he said he got 60% of the vote (or some such thing) which seemed to imply that he won the primary, but I just can't imagine that happening. If he did win the primary, who did he run against?
I can't recall correctly, but I think he is the Democratic nominee. Also, in other senate news in SC I hear there is a runoff for the Republican nominee for Gresham Barrett's seat (he's running for the Republican nominee for governor and will be in a runoff against Tea Party favorite Nikki Haley). Richard Cash won the primary, but he didn't get the majority of the vote, so there will be a runoff June 22 (oh, that's a week from tomorrow) against Jeff Duncan.

Quote:
**** Update ****

Sorry for the stupid questions - I did some more research and it seems the guy "reportedly" won the primary and will be the Democratic nominee for US Senate. Apparently the SC election board has launched an investigation into the primary because the percentage Green won is too high to be believed. One election person in an article I read suggested that, since the names were listed alphabetically and Green was listed first, some people may pushed the button beside his name and had no idea who they were voting for or why.

I agree that the people of SC deserve the best candidate possible, but if Green did in fact win the primary (meaning that there wasn't some sort of technical problem in calculating the votes and Green is qualified to serve), then Green is the Democratic nominee.
I have to be honest. I don't even remember there being a Democratic Primary. The Republican Primary was June 8 and I do recall all the ads geared toward that, but I did not hear anything for a Democratic Primary and this isn't because I'm not a Democrat. I agree if he did win the primary he is the candidate and I will say that for a Republican, too.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old June 14th, 2010, 7:18 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
The shore? Are you sure you're coming to a beach in the south?
Must have been channeling my inner Jersey girl (which is difficult as my experience with NJ doesn't extend beyond the turnpike - my sister and I used to refer to it as Garden State poop because of the smell!)

Quote:
I have to be honest. I don't even remember there being a Democratic Primary. The Republican Primary was June 8 and I do recall all the ads geared toward that, but I did not hear anything for a Democratic Primary and this isn't because I'm not a Democrat. I agree if he did win the primary he is the candidate and I will say that for a Republican, too.
Assuming he is the legit Democratic nominee, is there anything that would prevent the party from endorsing and backing an "independent" candidate?

Old June 14th, 2010, 8:33 pm
Renegade

TPM has a bit more on the felony obscenity charge pending against Greene, complete with video. It's just as sorry a story as you might expect coming from South Carolina.

No offense intended, Leah, but there's not enough money in the world to persuade me to live there.

ETA: He has won the Democratic primary. The bad news is that the state Democratic Party refers to him as a "mystery candidate."

August 28, 2013

Old June 14th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

You know, I think we do not have to bash states here. It might as well happen in California or Ohio.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old June 14th, 2010, 9:20 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

No, no, it's okay. I'm not fond of living here myself. But, no offense to anyone else who lives here. There are beautiful parts, just not this particular part.

Anyway, back to the senate.

Old June 15th, 2010, 12:58 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:
ETA: He has won the Democratic primary. The bad news is that the state Democratic Party refers to him as a "mystery candidate."

I am assuming that, seeing this is SC, it won't matter much who the Democratic candidate is? Am I wrong in thinking that SC would be firmly Republican whoever the cadidates are?

If so, I guess Democrats can at least be relieved that it happened there and not in a potential swing state.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old June 15th, 2010, 1:45 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Lincoln, is a 'moderate' Democrat'. A 'moderate Democrat' who can hold her seat is better then a conservative Republican any day of the week.
Based on her voting record on health care and the environment she's no more a democrat than my potted ficus.

Quote:
Though, I'm not a Blanche Lincoln fan, I understand why he did what he did and I want her to win....now. Also the challenge was probably not in vain because honestly, she'll need the Halter people to support her over the next six years or the next challenge will succeed.

All the Best,

Lunatic
What's the point? Based on past form she'll just vote against the key policies on which Obama campaigned.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old June 15th, 2010, 2:44 am
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
I am assuming that, seeing this is SC, it won't matter much who the Democratic candidate is? Am I wrong in thinking that SC would be firmly Republican whoever the cadidates are?
You're correct. Moreover, he's running against Sen. Jim DeMint. I really think this is a set-up. I can't imagine a big-name Democrat trying to fight DeMint for a Senate seat, let alone an unknown. It doesn't make sense.

Unless, of course, you buy into Clyburn's train of thought. I'm afraid I don't think he's far off the mark in viewing Greene and Brown as plants. As to who planted them? Ask yourself this question: Who has the most to gain? Here's a hint: It isn't either of the candidates.

August 28, 2013

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives