Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Oscars 2011

Old March 4th, 2011, 2:06 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Oscars 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
critics nor the masses
What do they know? Ivory tower film snobs on one hand and riff-raff on the other. TDK was a good film but not best film cailbre.

Quote:
I did like how every acceptance for Inception included a dig at the academy for failing to nominate Nolan.
None as good as Billy Crystal's observation that Driving Miss Daisy was “the film that directed itself.”

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:19 pm
Representative Homosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
I did like how every acceptance for Inception included a dig at the academy for failing to nominate Nolan. The Academy managed to put its collective face under the henhouse there....
Please. Inception was the most overblown movie of the year that succeeded because of DiCaprio's face and a crack marketing team, the latter of which truly deserves an award for convincing the masses they needed to see the film twice or more. People left that film so upset they were duped into thinking it was amazing they turned into drunken Nolan fanboys intent on convincing everyone it was the greatest film ever made. And their hangover is the only reason it had such a strong appearance at the Oscars. The cinematography award can only be explained as the afterbirth of the abortion of Avatar's win last year. And what are the other awards? Technical awards that it might have deserved but are kind of meaningless in the long scheme of things. I don't mind its original screenplay or art direction nominations as much, but best original score is a joke and if there had been only five best picture noms, you know as well as I do Inception would not have been on the list. Those acceptance speeches were not so much digs at the Academy which doesn't give chicken's feet about the hen house or what you or they think, but they effectually were rubbing salt into Nolan's wounded ego, after having so many people pat him on the back and tell him he really is the best. Inception was not a bad film, but it was no Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight might have deserved a nomination for best picture but that's about all.

Old March 4th, 2011, 3:43 pm
Secret Keeper

Er, well considering Inception won 4 awards (which tied The King's Speech for the most this year) I think it would have made a field of 5.

Sure they were 2nd rate awards, but still...

And yeah Wimsey, I thought that was awesome. For those that missed it here's what they each said

Wally Pfister (Cinematography)
Quote:
Originally Posted by
None of what I did would have been possible without the incredible vision of my master Christopher Nolan. His work has inspired me for 12 years and continues to, he's a brilliant filmmaker as we all know
Richard King (Sound Editing)
Quote:
I owe this 1000 percent to Chris Nolan. As artists and crafts people it's all about the opportunities we get and I just want to thank you Chris, wherever you are for making great movies and inviting me along for the ride. I want to thank Lee Smith, Emma Thomas, my sound editing crew, who I share this award with.
Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo and Ed Novick (Sound Mixing)
Quote:
We need to, you know we really, we share this award with Lee Smith with Richard King with Michael Babcock, with Alex Gibson, Alan Meyerson, Hans Zimmer, and of course, the mighty Christopher Nolan. Chris is the architect with the soundtrack in every way. He is the creative force behind every decision that we made and so this is as much of a win for him as it is for us. So congratulation Chris, and thank you very much.
And notice the secondary digs at the Academy there for their inexcusable snub of Lee Smith's editing

Oh, and the visual effects guys didn't actually say anything in regards other then "thank you Chris" But from everything I've read about the film what these guys said is absolutely true...it was Nolan's baby and he was instrumental in nearly every aspect of it, not just writing and directing, which is impressive in itself. It's just insane the film got 8 nominations but was snubbed for directing...it didn't direct itself

Hopefully at some point AMPAS realizes what a blunder they made.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 4th, 2011 at 3:46 pm.
Old March 4th, 2011, 3:56 pm

Pretty much everyone thanks the director.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old March 4th, 2011, 4:23 pm
Secret Keeper

Ha, not like that they don't...were clearly trying to send a message to the Academy. Would be funny if it lead to an expansion for director.

Anyways, it's done with and on to the next one. I doubt the Academy will give any more recognition to Bats3 then they did TDK, but you never know. This is presuming it will be on the same level of course.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 4th, 2011 at 4:29 pm.
Old March 4th, 2011, 5:22 pm
Banned

Bats 3 won't be any good. Well, with me it may be good upon the first few viewings, then when I watch it a few more times, I'll despise it.

Old March 4th, 2011, 5:25 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
But from everything I've read about the film what these guys said is absolutely true...it was Nolan's baby and he was instrumental in nearly every aspect of it, not just writing and directing, which is impressive in itself.
No surprise really that the DoP mentioned Nolan in his speech as the director is the one who blocks the scenes (cinematography). Most directors probably have a say when it comes to art direction, sound and other creative aspects too, but really Nolan was "just" writing and directing because while he probably told them what he wanted, he didn't decorate the sets himself or worked in the sound department. However, as a writer you do have influence on these things since you decide where scenes take place and may emphasize lines and sounds in the script.

Last edited by Noldus; March 4th, 2011 at 9:08 pm.
Old March 4th, 2011, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Anyways, it's done with and on to the next one. I doubt the Academy will give any more recognition to Bats3 then they did TDK, but you never know. This is presuming it will be on the same level of course.
If it's on the same level it won't be considered. It would have to be better.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives