Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.19

Old May 7th, 2011, 4:08 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Little Questions Answered v.19

I think it's a bit more than that. Harry had to go into the forest and face death. He didn't want anyone else to die for him. That's part of love too.
What about his friendship with Neville and Luna? here's two people who are considered odd or different and Harry reaches out to them. Would Neville been willing to carrying on the D.A. if Harry wasn't friends with him? And even Luna, her dad supported Harry for a long time. and then he stopped when Luna was kidnapped. I wonder how many people would have supported Harry if he wasn't the kind of person that he was.
Even in the end, he told Voldemort to ask for remorse, and he didn't use the killing curse, but a disarming spell. Just my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2011, 4:08 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielouise View Post
The Elder Wand was Snape's.
Snape killed Dumbledore, but he didn't take the wand and it was kept with Dumbledore in his coffin. Voldemort got the wand from the coffin, but it wouldn't work as it should for him, because the wand was Snape's. That's why he then killed Snape.

At least, that's what I got from it.
No it was Draco's, because it was he who "defeated" Dumbledore by disarming him. Snape killed Dumbledore when he was unarmed.

The laws about wands changing allegiance do seem to be pretty inconsistent, unless the Elder Wand is a completely different kettle of fish than your stock standard wand, which is possible.

Old May 7th, 2011, 4:16 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielouise
Snape killed Dumbledore, but he didn't take the wand and it was kept with Dumbledore in his coffin. Voldemort got the wand from the coffin, but it wouldn't work as it should for him, because the wand was Snape's. That's why he then killed Snape
The wand didn't work for Voldemort even after he'd killed Snape. As Harry explains in the end, the reason for that, is that it was already Draco's, when Snape killed Dumbledore.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old May 7th, 2011, 4:22 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_archer View Post
Harry does possess the love power protection, which his mom provided...and which so prevents him from getting murdered the first time and consequently contributes in defeating voldy.
Harry also possessed the power of love, aside from his mother's last act. Despite the deplorable way he was treated by the Dursleys, in an emotional environment similar to the one Voldemort had as a child. Harry had a HUGE capacity for love, it shows in all his relationships (other than the Dursleys) and in his "final" act of facing Voldemort in the forest. He showed his love for the entire wizarding world by sacrificing himself for them.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old May 7th, 2011, 4:31 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
In OOTP, basically, Voldemort wants this prophecy (and only the people who can touch are those about whom it was made) but he doesn't want to reveal himself because he loves that the Ministry is being so ignorant about his return. So he devises a plan to get Harry to retrieve the prophecy (which is in the form of an orb) for him, so that he doesn't risk being caught. So he does a bit of mental trickery on Harry, so that he goes to the Ministry thinking that he is saving his godfather who is supposedy being tortured. However, his godfather is not at the Ministry at all. Voldemort planted the vision of him being tortured in Harry's head to lure him to the prophecy that he wants so badly.

This is such a big plot hole!

When Harry gets to the Ministry, there is NO SECURITY! He just walks into Minstry and then continues his leisurely stroll into the Department of Mysteries (where the prophecy is) with as little resistance as somebody walking into their own bathroom.

So basically Voldemort devises this plan on the basis of not wanting to be detected and Harry just walks in there and doesn't encounter a single guard. It was ridiculous. Basically, Voldemort could have just went in there and got it himself with no trouble since there was no security.

I just can't see how a plothole that large got past her and the editors. Why didn't anybody see how weird and nonsensical it was for there to be no security?
Harry has to be the one to retrieve it. We don't know if anyone can retrieve it off the shelf but Harry. We also don't know if the security was AK'd or otherwise removed. But I like to think of no security and only magical enchantments being there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_Holeyness View Post
No it was Draco's, because it was he who "defeated" Dumbledore by disarming him. Snape killed Dumbledore when he was unarmed.

The laws about wands changing allegiance do seem to be pretty inconsistent, unless the Elder Wand is a completely different kettle of fish than your stock standard wand, which is possible.

I don't think it was because Draco defeated Dumbldore. It was because Draco, using a wand, defeated the the Elder wand. When Snape killed Dumbledore, there was no wand to defeat at that moment.

Old May 7th, 2011, 5:10 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
Harry has to be the one to retrieve it. We don't know if anyone can retrieve it off the shelf but Harry. We also don't know if the security was AK'd or otherwise removed. But I like to think of no security and only magical enchantments being there.
Voldy too could remove it too, but why did he not do it, when it looked like he could do it himself without causing trouble? Why make such an elaborate plan when he could just do it himself?

Old May 7th, 2011, 5:12 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Voldy too could remove it too, but why did he not do it, when it looked like he could do it himself without causing trouble? Why make such an elaborate plan when he could just do it himself?
Then the plot hole seems to be less about the security than why voldy didn't just grab it himself.

Old May 7th, 2011, 5:26 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Harry did think it was odd that there was no security. (p.769, American book).
Harry or Voldemort had to be the ones to remove the Prophecy because it was about them. There were two other people who tried to remove the it. Bode was one. He ended up in St. Mungo's, because he couldn't remember what happened to him and he couldn't speak. He ended up dying from the Devil's Snare plant that he received for Christmas.
Sturgis Podmore tried to break into the Ministry of Magic and ended up getting arrested.

Was it just the Elder wand that was defeated or was it Dumbledore who was the Owner of the wand? Snape was to becaome the new Owner of the elder wand, but Draco beat him to it. I just want to make sure it's the Master (owner) and not just the wand itself that had to be defeated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
Then the plot hole seems to be less about the security than why voldy didn't just grab it himself.
Why would Voldemort do something easy when he could get ohers to do his dirty work? Even in DH, he kept going on about having to be the one to kill Harry, but he didn't join into the battle until nearly the end. Other people could have killed Harry in battle or Harry could have been badly hurt with the castle falling down all around him.

Old May 7th, 2011, 5:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Was it just the Elder wand that was defeated or was it Dumbledore who was the Owner of the wand? Snape was to becaome the new Owner of the elder wand, but Draco beat him to it. I just want to make sure it's the Master (owner) and not just the wand itself that had to be defeated.
Snape wasn't suppose to get the Elder Wand either, IMO. Because Dumbledore's death was planned, he asked Snape to kill him, Dumbledore was suppose to die undefeated and the extra powers of the Elder Wand were suppose to die with him. Except, of course, Draco got it by Expelliarmus just before DD died.

It is the owner who has to be defeated, not the actual wand, as we see when Harry wrestles Draco's regular wand away from him at Malfroy Manor. Draco was defeated and so the Elder Wand transferred to Harry even though it wasn't there.

Old May 7th, 2011, 9:50 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Voldemort was trying to keep his presence unknown, so I don't think he could just walk into the Department of Mysteries unnoticed, even if he is Voldemort.

Hufflepuff Pride
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:17 pm
Second Year

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but how did Sirius get his wand back when he escaped from Azkaban?

"Dobby has no master. Dobby is a free elf and Dobby has come to save Harry Potter and his friends!"

Proud Hufflepuff

Friend -- For the Greater Good
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:53 pm
First Year

In OotP, did Fred & George help Ron get the beater position on the Quidditch team on the sly? Ron was trying to hide that he was practicing from them, but I think they figured it. In HBP, Cormac McLaggen states he missed trying out for Keeper the year before (OotP) because he ate a pound of Doxy eggs for a bet & was in the hospital wing. Could Fred & George, with Doxy eggs from all the cleaning at Grimauld Place, been the ones who bet McLaggen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby138 View Post
I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but how did Sirius get his wand back when he escaped from Azkaban?
Sirius didn't need a wand to change into his animagus form, so he didn't need one from the time he escapes Azkaban through most of POA, as he stayed in his animagus form most of the time. At the end of the Shrieking Shack scene, he had Snape's wand in his hand. I assume Snape got it back when he took all of them up to the castle which means Sirius was wandless when he escapes on Buckbeak. I guess we have to assume that he obtained a new wand while he was on the run during GoF outside of Great Britain?

Old May 8th, 2011, 3:29 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
2.When the Inquisitional squad get the DA , Malfoy diarms Harry under Umbridge orders, what happened here. Draco did take Harry´s wand against his will, shouldn´t Harry´s wand had changed alligiance?
That was the criteria for the Elder Wand. Other wands pick their wizards based on other factors, mainly personality and skill set. The wandlore for the Elder Wand is presented separately, though.

Imagine if all wands worked the same way as the Elder one- Severus would never have been able to cast a successful spell on any of the Marauder's, I'd say.
But isn´t this wandlore law the reason that the black thorn wand does not work well for Harry and the reason why Draco´s wand works properly for him , even Hermione states somthing about Bella´s wand when she is using it,
Quote:
I hate that thing. I really hate it. It feels all wrong, it doesn’t work properly for me… It’s like a bit of her."
I understood it applied for all wands, geez, now I am even more confused.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old May 8th, 2011, 3:30 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvDarkMarks View Post
Voldemort was trying to keep his presence unknown, so I don't think he could just walk into the Department of Mysteries unnoticed, even if he is Voldemort.
yes, he could have. he used the disillusionment spell in DH. But, Voldemort liked to have other people do his work for him.

Old May 8th, 2011, 9:07 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
But isn´t this wandlore law the reason that the black thorn wand does not work well for Harry and the reason why Draco´s wand works properly for him , even Hermione states somthing about Bella´s wand when she is using it, I understood it applied for all wands, geez, now I am even more confused.
Exactly. Allegiance is something which does seem to exist for all wands as presented in the books. However, the way that allegiance is determined and changed appears to be quite unique for the Elder Wand when compared to the rest of the wands. That is the difference.

While the Elder Wand will switch its allegiance when its owner is defeated in any way by another wizard. The wand does not need to be involved at all, but merely has to accept evidence that another wizard is more powerful than its current owner.

On the other hand, other wands do not seem to choose their allegiance based on this; it would appear that Ollivander's job is to find the wand that chooses his customer based on their personality and skill set. We also know that a wand may or may not switch allegiance when it is "won" from its owner by another wizard, and wands don't appear to switch allegiances whenever their owner is defeated (otherwise Neville would have gone through quite a few wands in his days ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocat View Post
In OotP, did Fred & George help Ron get the beater position on the Quidditch team on the sly? Ron was trying to hide that he was practicing from them, but I think they figured it. In HBP, Cormac McLaggen states he missed trying out for Keeper the year before (OotP) because he ate a pound of Doxy eggs for a bet & was in the hospital wing. Could Fred & George, with Doxy eggs from all the cleaning at Grimauld Place, been the ones who bet McLaggen?
I'd say it's a distinct possibility, but I'm sure you meant Keeper. Good spot!

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:26 am
Malum Veneficus

Speaking of Quidditch, I wonder why Ron never thought to become a beater. I think he could've done much better as a beater. He could've happily hit Slytherin players without feeling really sorry, . Also it didn't require as much attention or focus as being a keeper, and most importantly, the result of the match didn't depend on beaters, nor did people follow the beaters, throughout the match, as they did the keepers, which would've solved his nerves problems.

I understand it may not have occured to him at first, because Fred and George filled that position, and they were quite good at it. But he had more than one chance after that; when they had to leave the team, and when they left the school completely. I'm really curious why he never thought of it, or why no-one ever suggested ot to him.

Old May 8th, 2011, 10:36 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Speaking of Quidditch, I wonder why Ron never thought to become a beater. I think he could've done much better as a beater. He could've happily hit Slytherin players without feeling really sorry, . Also it didn't require as much attention or focus as being a keeper, and most importantly, the result of the match didn't depend on beaters, nor did people follow the beaters, throughout the match, as they did the keepers, which would've solved his nerves problems.

I understand it may not have occured to him at first, because Fred and George filled that position, and they were quite good at it. But he had more than one chance after that; when they had to leave the team, and when they left the school completely. I'm really curious why he never thought of it, or why no-one ever suggested ot to him.
Well, he was good at keeper. I don't think there has to be rhyme or reason - he was good at it and he liked it.

I doubt it would've solved his nerves problem though, Ron gets nervous about doing anything in front of other people. Plus, can you imagine his reaction if he made a mistake? Letting a ball in is nothing compared to critically injuring a teammate

Old May 8th, 2011, 12:21 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggles View Post
Well, he was good at keeper. I don't think there has to be rhyme or reason - he was good at it and he liked it.
I don't know if Ron was a good keeper, though. He always dived in the wrong direction and let all the balls in, even in the training sessions. Also I have doubts about his enjoying the position; when he tells Harry about training, he said that Fred, George and Charlie always made him the keeper, not that he always chose to be the keeper, .

Quote:
I doubt it would've solved his nerves problem though, Ron gets nervous about doing anything in front of other people. Plus, can you imagine his reaction if he made a mistake? Letting a ball in is nothing compared to critically injuring a teammate
Didn't he actually do that in one of HPB's training sessions? .

Old May 8th, 2011, 12:30 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Didn't he actually do that in one of HPB's training sessions? .
Yes, he does, poor Ron, in OOTP. Or Katie depending on which you look at it. I can't remember exactly what he does, but her nose starts bleeding and then Fred gives her a Nosebleed Nougat by mistake, which doesn't really help the situation at all.

Old May 8th, 2011, 6:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I don't know if Ron was a good keeper, though. He always dived in the wrong direction and let all the balls in, even in the training sessions. Also I have doubts about his enjoying the position; when he tells Harry about training, he said that Fred, George and Charlie always made him the keeper, not that he always chose to be the keeper, .

Maybe that's why he went for keeper though? Maybe he just thought that he wasn't good enough for the other positions. (though, being a keeper is the hardest, i'd say)

I'm re-reading the books again, and I'm on GOF. I noticed that Dumbledore mentions that Aberforth is his brother in front of Harry.
I can picture/hear in my head Harry stating that he didn't know Dumbledore had any siblings to that guy at the wedding, yet I couldn't find it in the DH book. Is this just in the DH film? Or am I imagining it completely?! xD

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References