Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.19

Old May 11th, 2011, 11:44 pm
First Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.19

My question:

In The Sorcerer's Stone, before Harry even starts speaking to the boa constrictor at the zoo or has any real interaction with the snake, it winks at Harry. Why? How?

How is it the snake already knows Harry can speak Parseltongue?

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:06 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I wondered that too, and when I went to look at the passage, Harry is speaking to the snake. In the book it is in English, but now I wonder if he was speaking Parseltongue. However, Piers Polkiss recognized that Harry was speaking to the snake, so, Harry couldn't have been speaking Parseltongue could he?

Old May 12th, 2011, 12:16 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I wondered that too, and when I went to look at the passage, Harry is speaking to the snake. In the book it is in English, but now I wonder if he was speaking Parseltongue. However, Piers Polkiss recognized that Harry was speaking to the snake, so, Harry couldn't have been speaking Parseltongue could he?
Harry could have been hissing at the snake ,which Piers could have heard and just assumed Harry was talking to the snake .

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:16 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobletofice View Post
My question:

In The Sorcerer's Stone, before Harry even starts speaking to the boa constrictor at the zoo or has any real interaction with the snake, it winks at Harry. Why? How?

How is it the snake already knows Harry can speak Parseltongue?
Maybe Harry, as a wizard, was picking up on the kinds of things that Muggles overlook, like animals communicating with us.

Old May 12th, 2011, 12:30 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I've noticed a few times that some animals (usually cats and dogs) do appear to "wink." Although snakes don't have eyelids, this could be a reference to that: yet another odd thing Muggles explain away as mere reflex, but for which there is a magical explanation.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old May 12th, 2011, 1:22 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
Harry could have been hissing at the snake ,which Piers could have heard and just assumed Harry was talking to the snake .
This is what I'd assume. Piers was quite amazed by what he saw, as I recall, so I would be quite unsurprised if he did see Harry hissing. I don't think it is telling at all that the narration had it in English, because it was from Harry's point of view and he did not recognize that he was speaking Parseltongue.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old May 12th, 2011, 3:06 am
Sixth Year

I would think it was in Parsel tongue because Piers recognized that Harry was actually communicating with it, which I think is what amazed him. If he had just heard Harry speaking English, he would of laughed at him for his idiocy rather than be amazed at the transaction.

Old May 12th, 2011, 11:10 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Why did Sirius switch as Secret Keeper with Peter?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:14 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
Why did Sirius switch as Secret Keeper with Peter?
Because the Potters thought it was the best way to decieve Lord Voldemort. They assumed he would hunt down Sirius, who was talented, active member in the Order and a close friend of the Potters', and try to get the Potters' whereabouts from him. They thought that Voldemort would never think of hunting Peter down, who was much weaker by comparison, thus the secret would be safer with him. But it turned out that Peter was actually the spy.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.

Last edited by bellatrix93; May 12th, 2011 at 11:16 pm.
Old May 13th, 2011, 2:01 am
First Year

My question wasn't whether or not Harry speaks in Parseltongue to the snake -- I think it's pretty clear he did. Rather, I wanted to know why the snake would wink at Harry before Harry even spoke to the snake at all? In other words, how can the snake, without having heard Harry yet, know he speaks Parseltongue?

Old May 13th, 2011, 4:57 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
My question wasn't whether or not Harry speaks in Parseltongue to the snake -- I think it's pretty clear he did. Rather, I wanted to know why the snake would wink at Harry before Harry even spoke to the snake at all? In other words, how can the snake, without having heard Harry yet, know he speaks Parseltongue?
He recognized Harry as a sympathetic character is all I can figure.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old May 13th, 2011, 6:27 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
I think it is just probably some sort of magical energy put off by wizards. The snake did look intently at Harry before doing as he did. They say that animals like horses can sense a human's mood, and I think this is something similar- like Parselmouths put off a certain type of energy.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old May 13th, 2011, 8:15 am
Second Year

Okay so this might be a dumb questions but I really don't know. HAHA.

So when 'good' witches/wizards kill other people do they use Avada Kedavra too?
Like for example when Molly kills Bellatrix in the Battle of Hogwarts it says she hits her right where her heart is. Does this mean Molly just aimed a pretty powerful curse really well or did she use the death curse? Becasue I used to think that Harry and the Order and DA didn't use those kinds of curses but only curses that enable the enemy to do bad stuff to them. For example take their wands or stupify them?
I also wonder this. Maybe someone can explain?! THank you.

Old May 13th, 2011, 8:55 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by acciowinter View Post
Okay so this might be a dumb questions but I really don't know. HAHA.

So when 'good' witches/wizards kill other people do they use Avada Kedavra too?
Like for example when Molly kills Bellatrix in the Battle of Hogwarts it says she hits her right where her heart is. Does this mean Molly just aimed a pretty powerful curse really well or did she use the death curse? Becasue I used to think that Harry and the Order and DA didn't use those kinds of curses but only curses that enable the enemy to do bad stuff to them. For example take their wands or stupify them?
I also wonder this. Maybe someone can explain?! THank you.
There is a lengthy discussion about that. In the end, it's mostly left to the reader, since there is no unambiguous instance in canon.

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.

Last edited by cardinalguy; May 13th, 2011 at 8:59 am.
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:03 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalguy View Post
There is a lengthy discussion about that. In the end, it's mostly left to the reader, since there is no unambiguous instance in canon.
thank you so much for linking me to this thread. this question has been bugging me forever.

Old May 13th, 2011, 1:04 pm
First Year

My Question:

I've been re-reading Deathly Hallows for about the millionth time, but one thing i've always wondered.
When was the exact point in the book when Harry realised he possessed the wand that Draco used to disarm Dumbledore? Because its only when Harry faces off with Voldemort that he suddenly reveals to the reader that 'the last master of the Elder Wand was Draco
Malfoy!' Because after Malfoy Manor, Harry remembers that he wrestled the wand out of someone's hand, but he couldn't remember who.
So Harry went into the battle with Voldy with a lot of confidence....i just wish i knew WHEN he knew he had the right wand to defeat Voldemort.

Old May 13th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbeldoresarmy View Post
My Question:

I've been re-reading Deathly Hallows for about the millionth time, but one thing i've always wondered.
When was the exact point in the book when Harry realised he possessed the wand that Draco used to disarm Dumbledore? Because its only when Harry faces off with Voldemort that he suddenly reveals to the reader that 'the last master of the Elder Wand was Draco
Malfoy!' Because after Malfoy Manor, Harry remembers that he wrestled the wand out of someone's hand, but he couldn't remember who.
So Harry went into the battle with Voldy with a lot of confidence....i just wish i knew WHEN he knew he had the right wand to defeat Voldemort.
We've never been told for sure, but I think he realised it after watching Voldemort kill Snape and learning the reason behind that, then watching Snape's memories, where he saw Dumbledore arrange his death with Snape. He must have realised then, that it was Draco who disarmed Dumbledore before Snape arrived at the scene, at all (therefore the wand was actually Draco's), then recalled that he had disarmed Draco at Malfoy Manor using Wormtail's wand, (iirc), therefore the wand was his.

Old May 13th, 2011, 1:25 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
We've never been told for sure, but I think he realised it after watching Voldemort kill Snape and learning the reason behind that, then watching Snape's memories, where he saw Dumbledore arrange his death with Snape. He must have realised then, that it was Draco who disarmed Dumbledore before Snape arrived at the scene, at all (therefore the wand was actually Draco's), then recalled that he had disarmed Draco at Malfoy Manor using Wormtail's wand, (iirc), therefore the wand was his.
Thanks! Although i don't recall Harry disarming Wormtail at Malfoy Manor. Didn't he leap over an armchair and wrestle the wands out of Draco's hand?

Old May 13th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbeldoresarmy View Post
Thanks! Although i don't recall Harry disarming Wormtail at Malfoy Manor. Didn't he leap over an armchair and wrestle the wands out of Draco's hand?
Harry didn't disarm Wormtail, he (or Ron) took his wand after he'd died.

I just checked: Ron had taken Peter's wand, disarmed Bellatrix, then Harry took her wand. They both had to leave their wands when Bella threatened to kill Hermione, then just before they fled, Harry wrestled the wands out of Draco's hands.

Old May 13th, 2011, 2:39 pm
Second Year

OK, in HBP, Professor Slughorn tells Riddle that "killing rips the soul in two". Surely that doesn't mean that every witch or wizard who kills another (regardless of the circumstance) has their soul damaged because of that action? And if so, where does the other half of the soul go if they don't make a Horcrux?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References