Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Pottermore

Old June 16th, 2011, 11:54 am
Fifth Year

Re: Pottermore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
If it was a social networking site or massive online game then I don't think JKR would be as involved as she seems to be.
I agree, it seems so unlike her. She never touched her Twitter account, never made a Facebook page, and in her books computer games are only ever associated with Dudley Dursley. I can't imagine she would become so invested in a project that would keep people glued to their screens all day. And she has always said that pen and paper are her top priority.

So I'm putting my faith in her continuing to hold these same values. She did get excited about things like the amusement park, but never said it was as exciting as a new book and was never personally leading the project, like she appears to be here. This announcement has her name all over it, much more than Warner Bros or anything.

But if it's not an online encyclopedia and/or fansite where she occasionally interacts with fans, I'm totally flummoxed as to what it could be....

I met J. K. Rowling!

She said you should read my fanfics:
Sirius Black and the Drapery of Doom • The Werewolf Prank (by capella_black and Arithmancer)
Regulus Kills Again (One-shot) • Lily Evans and the Golden Lyre

Pottermore: CatSnitch Black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:00 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Well, this is all very exciting. I have no idea what Pottermore will be, but I can't wait to find out!

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old June 16th, 2011, 12:03 pm
Second Year

Just because she hasnt talked much about the computer games, doesnt mean she wouldn't. I could totally see her writing for a computer game, an mmorpg.
And people remember. The Socialfansitething was only created on this forum from the fake pictures, I doubt it will happen.

Mai fan fics... let me show you them. (click the spoiler tag!)

Ravenclaw and proud
until JK puts me in Hufflepuff...
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:05 pm
Fifth Year

New quote from Leaky via the Wall Street Journal:

Quote:
A Harry Potter fansite, the Leaky Cauldron, said it got a preview of the new site reporting that “it is one of the most amazing, engaging, and breathtaking additions to this fandom imaginable.”
How long do you think she is going to make us wait??? Yesterday's announcements seemed to indicate it would all happen on June 15 and 16, but so far it looks like there have been no new updates today. I know it's early in America, but it's midday in Britain!

I met J. K. Rowling!

Sirius Black and the Drapery of Doom • The Werewolf Prank (by capella_black and Arithmancer)

Pottermore: CatSnitch Black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:12 pm
Fourth Year

I'm so intrigued! Was keeping up with all the news on twitter last night, is all very exciting I'm hoping for some sort of Encyclopeadia too, at least something that can be added too and so wouldn't get boring after a while a game or social network wouldn't interest me that much but I agree it doesn't sound very like JKR. As for those pictures, Will Dunn posted the link to them on twitter last night but has deleted the post and then tweeted someone saying that it leaked and that he shouldn't have posted it.

Also, is the icon in the address bar on Pottermore the sorting hat? I'm trying to figure out what it is

Eeee, new news!

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:33 pm
Fifth Year

It certain is intriguing. I really hope it's the encyclopaedia but I'm not holding my breath on it. Hope we get information soon i found myself staring at a 'do not disturb' sign for the first time in years wondering what on earth is going on!

Old June 16th, 2011, 1:00 pm
Third Year

I just heard about this through Tumblr about twelve hours ago...there was speculation about buying the books on E-Readers, but I'm sure GoogleBooks has most of them - even in their entirety.

Besides an interactive Encyclopedia, I can't imagine what it could be!

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old June 16th, 2011, 1:12 pm
Sixth Year

I think a MMORPG is actually pretty likely here. You have to bear in mind that this sort of game is something a bit different - it's supposed to be a fully-immersive world you can interact with, and that involves a huge amount of detail. Were such a thing ever to be created for HP - and most big franchises do have one, including Star Wars, Star Trek, LotR and The Matrix - the best way to do it properly is to involve JKR, as she has all those details.

I also don't buy the idea that JKR has a problem with computers. She was given an unusual level of control in terms of the merchendise, so clearly she didn't have a major problem with the WB and the Lego video games. Plus her website, which she used as the main way of communicating with fans, and her recent statement regarding e-books.

No, I think this is probably the leading contender at the moment.

Old June 16th, 2011, 1:13 pm
Second Year

I wonder... with all the legal issues involving the Encyclopedia already... and the fact that there are HP wikias out there...
I do hope this is HER take on things and that we find in depth information on the characters... IF it is "The Scotish Book" in an interactive format...
If it's a social network I feel a bit sorry about all the other fan sites, 'cause people would want to concentrate on her site instead of spreading across the whole web, like it is today...
I don't know what to think... I'm excited but a bit skeptical.
I kind of hope it's not a game... games are very time consuming for addictive people (like me LOL)
Oh I can't wait to find out! This suspense is killing me!

Image by the lovely SadiraSnape

"Neville is the man!"

Wand: Pear, Phoenix, 14.5 in, quite flexible
HUFFLEPUFF
MagicProphecy
Old June 16th, 2011, 1:19 pm
First Year

As a Scot, a hope it's The Scottish Book!

But a don't knoooow!! a'd be happy if it wis a MMORPG aswell...or prequel books. Just no another fansite! Unless it has the encyclopedia innit...but JK is an author, a'd think she would publish it in paper an' give the money to charity.

A DON'T KNOW! lol
A'm too excited! A haven't been this excited since 2007! All the clues about the Pottermore site just reminded me of the times a spent here on MuggleNet waiting for Order, Half-Blood & Deathly Hallows coming out!! lol

a hope JK tells us all wit it is VERY SOON, or a might just have to bounce over to Edinburgh an' go looking for her! lool

Oh aye, an' wit's with her website? People are saying they see the old Do Not Disturb door an' a time turner? It's been years since a used this site....a can't remember wit's wit. but a see nothing outta the ordinary here

FOUND IT! go to "?" then set the time turner to todays date then spin it an' the signs there. oh JK ye' know how to get us gooing!

Spoiler: show

Screenshot for those who want it! ^^^

EDIT* OK..maybe it's been like this for years on her site. a don't think it's going to open anytime soon

Last edited by SevelbusSnumble; June 16th, 2011 at 1:45 pm. Reason: :(
Old June 16th, 2011, 1:41 pm
She Who Walks Behind

I don't know what's so "ZOMG this is the best thing ever" about a MMORPG site...

I so hope it's going to be something else. I rather deal with a FB type of thingy. But interactive encyclopaedia would be most awesome.

The End of the Dream.
Old June 16th, 2011, 1:43 pm
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceofBoe View Post
I think a MMORPG is actually pretty likely here. You have to bear in mind that this sort of game is something a bit different - it's supposed to be a fully-immersive world you can interact with, and that involves a huge amount of detail. Were such a thing ever to be created for HP - and most big franchises do have one, including Star Wars, Star Trek, LotR and The Matrix - the best way to do it properly is to involve JKR, as she has all those details.
Exactly my thoughts. If we're right that it is an MMORPG, and that JKR is involved, this just means that it'll be a really good game. It means WB took the time and effort to make this immersive, detailed, and accurate to every little nook and cranny.

The font looks like a game logo, the description of "Pottermore" on the tradmark site fits with an MMORPG, and so far all the comments from websites support this idea as well. I think this is what it is.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old June 16th, 2011, 1:51 pm
Fourth Year

but it says " Harry Potter and Pottermore Publishing Rights © J.K. Rowling " so its something published.

‘And now – piertotum locomotor!’ cried Professor McGonagall. And all along the corridor the statues and suits of armour jumped down from their plinths, and from the echoing crashes from the floors above and below, Harry knew that their fellows throughout the castle had done the same.
‘Hogwarts is threatened!’ shouted Professor McGonagall. ‘Man the boundaries, protect us, do your duty to our school!’
Clattering and yelling, the horde of moving statues stampeded past Harry: some of them smaller, others larger than life. There were animals too, and the clanking suits of armour brandished swords and spiked balls on chains.

Pottermore Username: HallowSkull189
Old June 16th, 2011, 2:02 pm
Second Year

But its not a book and apparently the description leads me to believe its an mmo.

Mai fan fics... let me show you them. (click the spoiler tag!)

Ravenclaw and proud
until JK puts me in Hufflepuff...
Old June 16th, 2011, 2:15 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
I don't know what's so "ZOMG this is the best thing ever" about a MMORPG site...

I so hope it's going to be something else. I rather deal with a FB type of thingy. But interactive encyclopaedia would be most awesome.

Hahahaha... I have to say a LotRo type of MMORPG would be pretty cool, but I prefer the encyclopedia. Online and bookversion... There are just too many things I want to know about the characters.

A book with short stories like the one about James and Sirius a while ago would be awesome too.. But since it's not a book...

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Old June 16th, 2011, 2:36 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopophorousBean View Post
I'm so intrigued! Was keeping up with all the news on twitter last night, is all very exciting I'm hoping for some sort of Encyclopeadia too, at least something that can be added too and so wouldn't get boring after a while a game or social network wouldn't interest me that much but I agree it doesn't sound very like JKR. As for those pictures, Will Dunn posted the link to them on twitter last night but has deleted the post and then tweeted someone saying that it leaked and that he shouldn't have posted it.
Were these the same pictures that were posted on this thread, or different pictures?

I met J. K. Rowling!

Old June 16th, 2011, 4:44 pm
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

I am hoping that it is some type of version of an online encyclopedia, although I would be equally excited if it were a collection of short stories about other characters in the Potter Universe.

I have been pouring over JKR's official website to see if there are any new hidden clues that might offer tidbits of information to the new site.

Peeves wuz here!

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old June 16th, 2011, 4:44 pm
First Year

HEY! check this out...

https://twitter.com/users/show/pottermore.xml

search the page for "created_at" and between the first two finds you will see ">Mon Jul 20 18:16:54 +0000 2009

That Pottermore Twitter account has been around for 1 year, 10 months, and 27 days!

Old June 16th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Third Year

There are now OWLS on www.pottermore.com. If you click on them, it takes you to Youtube, where it says that the announcement will occur on June 23 at 12:00pm. Check it out!

Part I: Acceptable
Part II: Acceptable

Old June 16th, 2011, 4:49 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevelbusSnumble View Post
HEY! check this out...

https://twitter.com/users/show/pottermore.xml

search the page for "created_at" and between the first two finds you will see ">Mon Jul 20 18:16:54 +0000 2009

That Pottermore Twitter account has been around for 1 year, 10 months, and 27 days!
And check this out: http://www.trademarkia.com/pottermore-77788415.html

Looks like the trademark was registered on July 23, 2009. I guess this whole project has been in the works for nearly two years then.

I met J. K. Rowling!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References