Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Old March 27th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Third Year

Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

I'm reasonably sure that Dumbledore had no proof that Tom Riddle was responsible for opening the Chamber and setting the basilisk on Myrtle at the time it happened. Dumbledore may have a trusting/forgiving nature, but he isn't stupid either, and I'm sure if he'd had proof that it was Riddle, he'd have done something about it then. But keep in mind, the "something" probably wouldn't have altered the course of history significantly because Hagrid, who was blamed for "accidentally" letting loose his pet acromantuala that was believed to have killed Myrtle, didn't land Hagrid in prison...it just got him expelled and his wand snapped in half. I believe Tom Riddle was 16 at that time, so he would have still been underage and probably would have only met the same punishment as Hagrid if he'd claimed it was an accident, he hadn't thought his pet basilisk would hurt anyone. We all know now how much Tom already knew (magically speaking) by the time he was 16, and how dangerous he already was, so I doubt expulsion from Hogwarts or the loss of his wand would have stopped his rise to power. (I expect he could have gotten another wand somehow).

Old March 31st, 2006, 7:43 pm
Third Year

ok it might be a dumb question but have we ever seen the guy who does the voice of dobby?

Old April 1st, 2006, 3:57 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_rod
ok it might be a dumb question but have we ever seen the guy who does the voice of dobby?
In the HP movies? I don't believe so. Toby Jones is a prolific actor though, appearing on stage, in movies/T.V. shows...

Here's a pic of him.

Old April 1st, 2006, 4:26 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily226
That's how I feel, the books refer to most wizards not knowing how to dress in muggle clothes, and when they attempt to (like at the campgrounds in GOF) it ends up being silly, (like the man with nightgown). So it makes sense that they would not dress that way at Hogwarts, Harry does not have decent muggle clothes in the books, because most of his muggle clothes are Dudley's. Granted Hermione would have plenty of good MC, but Ron wouldn't. The first thing they usually do on the train is change into their robes.

Maybe I just like keeping the scenery magical.
I agree with this. We are on the same level. Finally, I thought I was the only one.

Does anyone agree that the mood of the movies have changed? Or perhaps I am the only one. It seems that it goes like this:

Cozy > Cheery > Funny > Cold

It just changed too much. You have to look beyond the clothes, the attitude, etc. sometimes and this time to understand what I mean, you will too. I find it hard to express. It could be just the camera lighting but that plays a big part. For color schemes, it goes:

Red > Orange > Green > Blue

If someone even gets the gist of what I ahve been trying to point out, please I beg of you, tell me.

Old April 1st, 2006, 4:04 pm
Second Year

After watching GoF for the third time since yesterday afternoon, I was just wondering why they decided to have both the Patil sisters in Gryffindor? Isn't Padma supposed to be in Ravenclaw?

Old April 1st, 2006, 4:22 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leverystrange
After watching GoF for the third time since yesterday afternoon, I was just wondering why they decided to have both the Patil sisters in Gryffindor? Isn't Padma supposed to be in Ravenclaw?
Padma is supposed to be Ravenclaw. Dedalus Diggle actually answered this question fairly well on another thread, the Little Questions thread.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus Diggle
That was a deliberate deviation from canon. It cut out otherwise needless dialogue explaining that siblings don't have to be in the same house and with Harry getting Parvati to find Ron a date, too (as it turns out Ron had a date - Harry: at least that's who he spent all his time with ). Besides the two of them looked so amazingly cute walking in tandem together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit
It was cute...but I think they made a mistake...it's Parvati and Lavender that act that way...how are they gonna boot Padma, and insert Lavender for movie 6?
Quote:
The same way thay booted one of Draco's goons (I forget which - does it matter?) for some other goon when they had a notion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit
They had to replace Josh Herdman in some of the scenes as he was taking his A levels; they integrated the other boy---but Josh was in most of POA...

WB wouldn't halt the film for him, like they are gonna do for Daniel and Emma this summer---makes sense, he's a minor character in comparison to those two.

Old April 1st, 2006, 4:30 pm
Second Year

Thanks Kingwidgit, I suppose it makes sense from a directorial point of view.

Old April 1st, 2006, 5:58 pm
First Year

ok this is a random question but its been killing me...who is the short guy with the short dark hair in the GOF movie, i mean they put so much emphasis on him in the movie and i have no idea who he's supposed to be...maybe im missing something so if someone could answer that would be very much appreciated

Do u think Snape is:
a)Bad
b)Good
c)Snape or
d)
Spoiler: show
SEXY!!

Old April 1st, 2006, 6:20 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_BillWeasley
ok this is a random question but its been killing me...who is the short guy with the short dark hair in the GOF movie, i mean they put so much emphasis on him in the movie and i have no idea who he's supposed to be...maybe im missing something so if someone could answer that would be very much appreciated
Do you mean the 'new' kid Nigel? He's in a lot of the scenes...his name is William Melling. I'm not sure, but I don't believe he's related to Harry Melling [Dudley Dursley]. Don't know why they added him, instead of letting the Creevey brothers be the Harry Potter worshippers.

Or did you mean Professor Flitwick? Very short, black hair, 'tache---conducted the orchestra at the ball? That's Warwick Davis---out of costume of the first two movies---Cuaron changed that in POA, and Newell kept the change in GoF. Warwick was happy not to wear all the prosthetics/make-up/hair that he'd had to wear for the first two movies.

Old April 2nd, 2006, 1:33 pm
Mrs Grawp

Question about GoF: in the Yule ball scene, we shortly see Moody sitting. Is it a ferret he his holding?

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old April 2nd, 2006, 2:36 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad
Question about GoF: in the Yule ball scene, we shortly see Moody sitting. Is it a ferret he his holding?
I'm pretty sure it is!

The film is better than the book #1: Brokeback Mountain

If it's a good movie, the sound could go off and the audience
would still have a perfectly clear idea of what was going on.

Alfred Hitchcock
Old April 2nd, 2006, 2:47 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily226
The first thing they usually do on the train is change into their robes.
In the books they only change into their robes as the train nears Hogsmeade.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 2nd, 2006, 3:59 pm
Sixth Year

In GoF Voldemorts wand is very special and evil looking. Its supposed to be the brother wand to Harrys and I am sure it did not look like that when he bought it off Ollivander when he was 11.
Are we supposed to assume that he changed it himself to make it more fit for a dark lord?

Old April 2nd, 2006, 6:26 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab
In the books they only change into their robes as the train nears Hogsmeade.
I'm pretty sure the families with young kids are more attuned to the muggle world's current clothing styles more than the rest. Someone like the old wizard Archie at the Quidditch World Cup may not have had contact with muggles or muggleborns in fifty, or even a hundred, or more years - except to but his negligee .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualsa
In GoF Voldemorts wand is very special and evil looking. Its supposed to be the brother wand to Harrys and I am sure it did not look like that when he bought it off Ollivander when he was 11.
Are we supposed to assume that he changed it himself to make it more fit for a dark lord?
I thought that was awful. The moviemakers though his wand ought to look more sinister, but it was an Ollivander wand - it would not look so goofy. And voldemort would appreciate the wand that chose him enough not to add all those goth accoutrements.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 6:41 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad
I think it is a badger on his sporran, a bag commonly worn with a kilt, which he was also wearing.

Old April 2nd, 2006, 8:37 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
I thought that was awful. The moviemakers though his wand ought to look more sinister, but it was an Ollivander wand - it would not look so goofy. And voldemort would appreciate the wand that chose him enough not to add all those goth accoutrements.
I absolutely agree. I believe Voldemort has to have a certain class, or to say it in a different way, he doesn't need some bone accessory on his wand to be scary. And Ralph Fiennes does a good job and his robe are very appropriate, I thought that wand was out of place.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old April 3rd, 2006, 7:22 am
First Year

After the third task when everyone is in Moody's office, Barty Crouch Jr. says: "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" and shows his mark, why does Dumbledore show him Harry's cut?

Old April 3rd, 2006, 9:20 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen
After the third task when everyone is in Moody's office, Barty Crouch Jr. says: "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" and shows his mark, why does Dumbledore show him Harry's cut?
Very good question. Someone please answer that one because I cant figure it out either. Does Barty want proof that Voldemort is reborn and if so how come Dumbledore obliged? He could just force Barty to show his mark and not use Harry as some interesting specimen for show. There is nothing achieved by this and its not in the books either...

Old April 3rd, 2006, 9:52 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualsa
Very good question. Someone please answer that one because I cant figure it out either. Does Barty want proof that Voldemort is reborn and if so how come Dumbledore obliged? He could just force Barty to show his mark and not use Harry as some interesting specimen for show. There is nothing achieved by this and its not in the books either...
I think it's because the blood could somehow react to the dark mark tattoo on death eaters, especially in the presence of Harry's blood since it now flows in Voldemort's veins. Whether or not it actually shown that, I forget.
Quote:
Not to disagree on how it looks, I personally was not impressed, but one would imagine that Ollivander would make wands for all sorts of wizards and witches, not just the good kind. I envision him to be a fair person to all sides considering he seems to be the only wand maker in Diagon Alley. This isn't to say he's money grubbing to provide wands to everyone to increase his bottom line, but considering that "the wand chooses the wizard", one could assume that the wand's final appearence/end product is chosen not by Ollivander's personal artistic choice, but one chosen by the core material itself or perhaps even destiny/magic. Basically say, he makes the wand, he doesn't create the style...even if it is something as uninspired as Voldemort's.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:21 am
Secret Keeper

In regards to the wand, Ollivander---maker of fine wands---would not have made a wand with that specific appearance. He normally sells wands to children, not adults, though I imagine some adults would want a new wand were theirs to be old, ineffective, lost, broken...etc. Since I believe Voldemort's wand is the same one he's had since age 11, I have a hard time accepting the movie wands appearance.

Lucius Malfoy, in the movies, also has an altered wand, with a metal snake's head---his wand conceals within the cane he carries, much like an epée can be concealed within a hollow cane. Lucius's wand modification I had no problem with, it's something that the oh-so superior Malfoy would do, but Voldemort's was totally unnecessary.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References