Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

The Improve Your English Thread v3

Old September 29th, 2006, 12:06 am
I want to believe

The Improve Your English Thread v3

Opening PostSo the idea for this thread is for Non-English speakers to get corrections and advice on their English and we English speakers to do our best to help them.

So if anyone has any questions or just wants to run something by us, go ahead.

References:
Version 1
Version 2

Last few posts from previous thread::    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundungus Fletc View Post
In Britain a common form for first name is "given name"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius
Also, the jopurnalistic style tends to result in short paragraphs, sentences. (See? it just doesn't work outside a headline.)
27 words is the ideal length for a sentence. One sentence a par is the most easily readable and typographically attractive over a range of column widths (although anyone who lays text across more than two columns -- and double should only in extreme cirumstances with ragged right justification -- should be shot).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
27 words? Bah. Bah, I say!

Sentences should vary in their length. They should not all be the same. If they are it gets very boring. And it can get repetitive. Just like this. This is boring.

On the other hand, sentences should not go on and on and on without a break, because then it gets very hard to read and the person who is reading it may get bored or lose track of where the sentence is going and stop reading, which means that your sentence won't get its point across at all, and even adding in punctuation to break up the flow a bit won't help.

Ideally, sentences should be varied in length. Use short sentences and long sentences, mixing them in together to get a good variety. it helps to break up the flow. This helps the reader to follow what you are writing, making your text easier to read, and giving it more impact.

This can be used to your advantage if you know how the basis behind these rules work. In my Moody Mysteries (link in my sig), I've used a single long run-on sentence to create the impression of a lot of things all happening at once.

Please continue.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2006, 12:17 am
Zonko's Employee

Re: The Improve Your English Thread v3.0

Yay! Shiny new thread of grammatical goodness!

*posts so he can find it again*

And to be on topic....

IT'S (with the apostrophe) is always short for "IT IS". For any other use, even the posessive, you should use ITS.

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old September 29th, 2006, 1:57 am
Third Year

I am going to study English with a TV drama "Desperate Wives"
Is "Desperate Wives" good for studying English?
The English in this TV series can be regarded so-called "standard English" if there are anything like "standard English"?
By the way, what do you call a TV series like "Desperate Wives", "Lost" or something like that?
Can I call them as a TV drama?

Old September 29th, 2006, 2:07 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ominous View Post
I am going to study English with a TV drama "Desperate Wives"
Is "Desperate Wives" good for studying English?
The English in this TV series can be regarded so-called "standard English" if there are anything like "standard English"?
By the way, what do you call a TV series like "Desperate Wives", "Lost" or something like that?
Not really, it is an American programme and not that well written.

Old September 29th, 2006, 2:36 am
Representative Homosexual

Quote:
Yes, it'd be a drama or something like that.

I think any English language programme would be good for learning English. Desparate House Wives happens to be one of the few programmes on the tellie that is amusing to watch, so I say go for it! You'd learn a lot less with a programme that had complicated English. Usually news presenters will have good grammar (since they're reading from a pre-written teleprompter.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterfroggy View Post
Not really, it is an American programme and not that well written.
I beg your pardon? We Britons don't have a monopoly on cleverly written TV programmes.

Old September 29th, 2006, 2:57 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
I beg your pardon
That's all right
Quote:
We Britons don't have a monopoly on cleverly written TV programmes.
Where do I say we did?

Desperate House Wives is not well written because it is not well written, it has nothing to do with it not being well written because it is an American programme

The questions asked were “Is "Desperate Wives" good for studying English?” and “The English in this TV series can be regarded so-called "standard English" if there are anything like "standard English"?”

And I answered; No it’s not good for studying English it’s an American programme. The language used is not “Standard English” the language used is/or might be called Midwestern American or Central North American or Hollywood American. However Standard English it is not.

Old September 29th, 2006, 3:23 am

Hmm, I see what you were saying. But Americans speak English, whether or not they do it exactly the same as we do. There are really only minor spelling, punctuation and vocabulary differences, but most of the grammar is the same. I suppose if one only wanted to learn the way the English speak English, they'd be both limiting themselves because we aren't the only ones who speak it correctly and complicating matters due to the number of different dialects (in a very loose sense of the word) in and around our lovely little isle. In the end, any programme, English or American, would be a great learning aid for anyone studying from another language. Cartoons are actually really good because they tend to use simpler words than adult programmes like Desparate Houswives.

Old September 29th, 2006, 7:44 am
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

It's my understanding that for historical reasons the version of English taught in Korea is American English so learning from US TV programmes would be fine

Old September 30th, 2006, 3:06 am
Third Year

In English, is there such an idiom "go to the house" meaning "killing someone"?
One of my colleague student said that she saw this in her dictionary.
I can't quite believe there is a such an idiom like this.

Old September 30th, 2006, 3:30 am
Zonko's Employee

I've never heard it....

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old September 30th, 2006, 3:33 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
I've never heard it....
Neither have I.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old September 30th, 2006, 4:26 am
Second Year

Quote:
Usually news presenters will have good grammar (since they're reading from a pre-written teleprompter.)
And sports announcers will have awful grammar. When I was in 7th grade, my English teacher taught us some basic grammar rule (I think it was about using the objective case for objects of a preposition -- like "That's for her", rather than "That's for she."), and told us we all now knew more than any given ABC Sports announcer.....

Old October 1st, 2006, 1:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevieveS View Post
And sports announcers will have awful grammar. When I was in 7th grade, my English teacher taught us some basic grammar rule (I think it was about using the objective case for objects of a preposition -- like "That's for her", rather than "That's for she."), and told us we all now knew more than any given ABC Sports announcer.....
I don't think that's so common anymore. It's becoming really in vogue to speak with correct grammar, and sports readers aren't any exception, what with the rise in metrosexuality, it's OK for men to like sports and be fashionable at the same time.

But I'll listen more closely the next time Liverpool's playing. Wasn't really paying attention today as I was swearing too loudly to really think about grammar.

Old October 1st, 2006, 7:18 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Opening PostSo the idea for this thread is for Non-English speakers to get corrections and advice on their English and we English speakers to do our best to help them.
I've been meaning to comment on this opening post. I am fully bilingual, but English is my second language (Spanish being my first). As I've read through the Forums, I've noticed so many grammatical errors and misspelled words in some posts that it is really difficult to understand what the poster is trying to say. I know that some typographical errors can go unnoticed, but not all are typos. Most of the posters here are English speakers, but I've noticed that the majority of the Non-English speakers (people from France, Spain, Germany, South America) have less spelling errors. So maybe the opening post should be addressed to all posters, as a help to "Improve Your English". I have used this thread to help me with a word I was not sure of, and you've very kindly provided the correct word, so in that respect I think this is a very helpful thread. Thank you for "listening".

Last edited by mugglebeki; October 1st, 2006 at 8:40 pm.
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglebeki View Post
... I've noticed that the majority of the Non-English speakers (people from France, Spain, Germany, South America) have less spelling errors ...
Nit-picking ...

You should say 'fewer spelling errors'. Because 'errors' is quantitative, you should use 'fewer' to describe it. 'Less' is reserved for words that are unquantifiable like 'milk' or 'sugar'.

Every time I do this, rotsie comes along to correct my spelling, but I want her to know that I actually realised that I had misspelled quantitative first, then corrected myself before ever mashing the 'Submit Reply' button.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 6:41 am
Third Year

Oh! It's hilarious.
I just saw the opening sequece of the pilot episode of Desperate Housewives season 1. It's very fun. Especially the part when a neighboring woman took off a piece of paper on the blender she borrowed from a dead woman from 6 months before. "Always look at the bright side." But wasn't that too much bright? I think it's the way of living lives we, you and I, are doing.
And one thing more. I found out that you Americans call that home appliance a "blender" while we Koreans always call it a mixer.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 6:46 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Oh! It's hilarious.
I just saw the opening sequece of the pilot episode of Desperate Housewives season 1. It's very fun. Especially the part when a neighboring woman took off a piece of paper on the blender she borrowed from a dead woman from 6 months before. "Always look at the bright side." But wasn't that too much bright? I think it's the way of living lives we, you and I are doing.
And one thing more. I found out that you Americans call that home appliance a "blender" while we Koreans always call it a mixer.
In US-speak, a mixer is a different kitchen appliance. it is used to mix cake batter, cookie dough, and such. Here's a photo.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 8:50 pm
Third Year

Quote:
You should say 'fewer spelling errors'. Because 'errors' is quantitative, you should use 'fewer' to describe it. 'Less' is reserved for words that are unquantifiable like 'milk' or 'sugar'.
OK, thanks for correcting me. See that's the main problem when one speaks more than one language, sometimes a word just gets stuck and won't come out. I truly appreciate the correction.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 2:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglebeki View Post
OK, thanks for correcting me. See that's the main problem when one speaks more than one language, sometimes a word just gets stuck and won't come out. I truly appreciate the correction.
Don't mention it. That's what we're here for, eh what? Just slap me if I get too obnoxious.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 4:59 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
In US-speak, a mixer is a different kitchen appliance. it is used to mix cake batter, cookie dough, and such. Here's a photo.
I dont know if this makes much of a difference either but i think most Brits(like myself) would us the word BLENDER for crushing up fruit and making smoothes or veg for soup!
a MIXER would be anything we use to Mix something ie a spoon or i would be more familiar using the word when asking for something to add to my Barcardi!

Its All About The Magic
Harry+Ginny
Ron+Hermione
Its a truth universally acknowledged that Harry Potter ROCKS!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives