Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

The Improve Your English Thread v3

Old October 7th, 2006, 8:02 am
Zonko's Employee

Re: The Improve Your English Thread v3

Same here in Australia.

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:28 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
Same here in Australia.
And South Africa

Mrs Weasley set the potion down on the bedside cabinet, bent down, and put her arms around Harry. He had no memory of ever being hugged like this, as though by a mother. The full weight of everything he had seen that night seemed to fall in upon him as Mrs Weasley held him to her. His mother's face, his father's voice, the sight of Cedric, dead on the ground, all started spinning in his head until he could hardly bear it, until he was screwing up his face against the howl of misery fighting to get out of him
Old October 8th, 2006, 3:37 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky View Post
And South Africa
'Base' and 'vase' rhyme with 'ace' in US English (generally: US English isn't exactly uniform). :

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old October 8th, 2006, 9:47 pm
oooooh spaaaaarkly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterfroggy View Post
In English English, as apposed to American English Base and Vase, sound nothing like each other.
In the part of the UK where I come from:
Base rhymes with face or mace
Vase rhymes with Mars, jars or cars
I think that in British english Vase sounds more like "Vaz", rhymes with "cars" as you dont pronounce the "r" as in the US
In US it is more like "maze"

what about the "tomato" - tom-ey-to vs. tom-ah-to?(-ey as in hey)
I studied in England but I prefer the US pronunciation. "potato" is written in the same way but you do not say po-tah-to , you say po-tey-to

I am the Amazing Pixie Queen! Meet the members of my family and the Royal Court: Brian is my adopted son and Abby my daughter in law.Rell, Hes, Nadia, Heike, Audrey, Mave, Kaz, Donks, Bethany, Maryssa, Lisa and Giulia are my lovely pixie sisters!KitKat and Josh are my pixie brothers.Bill is the King . Matty is my Nephew and Kim8 is my Niece. Celest is my Godmother. Elaina and Evie are the princesses, Chris is the Royal advisor, Poofy is the Court Lawyer, Drew is the Grand Duke, Rusty is the royal fashion advisor & Julie is the Royal Doctor.
Kim (Kimagine) is my Royal Sister the Amazon Queen.

Last edited by Tinkie; October 8th, 2006 at 9:50 pm.
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:15 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkie View Post

I think that in British english Vase sounds more like "Vaz", rhymes with "cars" as you dont pronounce the "r" as in the US
In US it is more like "maze"

what about the "tomato" - tom-ey-to vs. tom-ah-to?(-ey as in hey)
I studied in England but I prefer the US pronunciation. "potato" is written in the same way but you do not say po-tah-to , you say po-tey-to
I've never met anyone who pronounces it Vaz. (or anything like a word rhyming with "has or daz". All the english people I know who use the word pronounce is to rhyme with jars or mars there is no hard az sound on the end of vase, it’s more a long rs

tomato i say it as " Ter mar toe" most of my amrican friends (Californians mostly) seem to pronounce it Ta may toe

potato - pah tay toe

Old October 8th, 2006, 10:23 pm
First Year

Quote:
In English English, as apposed to American English Base and Vase, sound nothing like each other.
Do you mean that it's pronounced 'vars' and not 'vaz'? That's the first time I'm hearing(more likely reading) this. Not that I disagree as I'm neither british nor american...

unveiling rancid
petals flowering forth foul nectar the space between a
blink and a tear
...death blooms.
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:03 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
Do you mean that it's pronounced 'vars' and not 'vaz'? That's the first time I'm hearing(more likely reading) this. Not that I disagree as I'm neither british nor american...
see my post ^, Ive never ever heard any one say Vaz when meaning a vase, not even close

Old October 9th, 2006, 2:23 am
Representative Homosexual

Haha, I see what the problem is ... you're basically saying the same things, but you're writing out different pronunciation guides: one from an American perspective and one from an English.

Americans say vase (usually rhymes with "face" but occasionally "days".)
Britons usually say vase (ryhmes with "jars" if your British or "jaws" if you're American.)

Americans say tomato (rhymes with potato whether you're American or British, I don't know of any correct alternate pronunciations.)
Britons say tomato (rhymes with Italian "gelato" but not quite as delicious!)

Seriously, there are thousands of vocabulary differences (two words that are spelled the same but pronounced differently across cultures are considered vocabulary differences) between American and British English and to cover them all here would be exhausting.

Old October 9th, 2006, 12:53 pm
Third Year

Lost

Here comes my list of who's English is good for me to understand and who's worst in the "Lost".
Of course, it's solely subjective and from a Korean point of view.
The order comes down from "I fully agree with you" to "What the hell are you talking about?"

1. Jin & Sun - You know what? Jin's Korean is not perfect while Sun's Korean is impeccable. In fact, he immigrated to the US when he was 2 and has lived there ever since. In Korea, there was a subtitle even Jin spoke Korean in episodes from season 1. How wonderful it would be if all native speakers talk like Sun.

2. Locke - God bless him!

3. Kate

4. Jack

5. Micheal

6. Hugo

7. James Ford

8. Charlie & Claire

9. Sayid

10. Eko - You little devil. I like everything about you, from your muscular body to your mind-blowing smile. But, CAN'T YOU DO ANYTHING WITH YOUR PRONUNCIATION OR DO I HAVE MALFUNCTIONING EARS?

Old October 9th, 2006, 8:02 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ominous View Post
9. Sayid
Well, he is at a disadvantage of actually being English but talking with an "arabic" (?) accent

Mrs Weasley set the potion down on the bedside cabinet, bent down, and put her arms around Harry. He had no memory of ever being hugged like this, as though by a mother. The full weight of everything he had seen that night seemed to fall in upon him as Mrs Weasley held him to her. His mother's face, his father's voice, the sight of Cedric, dead on the ground, all started spinning in his head until he could hardly bear it, until he was screwing up his face against the howl of misery fighting to get out of him
Old October 10th, 2006, 12:17 am
Third Year

Quote:
Interesting. In the U.S., calling it a 'vahz' is somewhat of an affectation, someone showing how 'international' they are . As mentioned later, most people's pronunciation rhyme it with 'ace.' Someone from either Georgia or Mass. might pronounce 'mars' as 'Mahz', but most Americans pronounce the R. Some of us Texans would turn it into a two-sylable word - 'maw-ers' - heck, we can make 'yes' a two sylable word! (yay-us)

Old October 10th, 2006, 11:29 am
Zonko's Employee

Pronunciation is not only different in different countries. My sister lives in York (top of the country) and she pronounces (for example) the word "bath" the same way as "math", whereas we down in Devon (bottom of the country) say "barth" (like darth (vader))

Old October 11th, 2006, 6:31 pm
Third Year

Pretty much everyone in Belfast pronounces Vase to rhyme with has (or vaz, to use an example from higher up the thread).

Old October 12th, 2006, 3:28 am
Third Year

When your posting do you put for fact or for a fact?

Love Struck and Feedback
Old October 12th, 2006, 4:20 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_Girl View Post
When your posting do you put for fact or for a fact?

Personally neither, I would say “this is a fact “or “the fact of the matter is”

If you were to want to say something along the lines of “I know for a fact this is true” There are much neater or simpler ways to express yourself
“I know this to be true” or “I believe that this is true”

One minor point
“When your posting do you put for fact or for a fact?” The ‘your’ in this question should be written as ‘you’re’
“It is your shirt” for example means that the shirt belongs to you
“If you’re going to post a question…”

“You’re” is always a contraction of “you are.” If you have written “you’re,” try changing it to “you are.” If it doesn’t work, the word you want is “your.”

Old October 12th, 2006, 3:34 pm
Second Year

Someone had a good idea with this thread... thank you, whoever you are.

I have some questions to the English native speakers, as it has been bothering me for some time now: do you care if you read a post with poor spelling and grammar, and with misused phrases, everything totally mixed up? Is it easy for you to guess who is native and who is not? Does it bother you at all?

Old October 12th, 2006, 4:08 pm
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

Really bad grammar, poor punctuation and netspeak usually indicate a native speaker. People who speak English as a second language usually try harder.

Old October 12th, 2006, 7:15 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by undomiel9 View Post
I have some questions to the English native speakers, as it has been bothering me for some time now: do you care if you read a post with poor spelling and grammar, and with misused phrases, everything totally mixed up? Is it easy for you to guess who is native and who is not? Does it bother you at all?
No, unless I know the person is an English speaker, but then I feel frustrated for them.

I agree with Mundungus Fletc, it is usually an indicator of a foreign speaker...I could never write or speak in anything but English (and Afrikaans and a tiny bit of French) so I don't worry about it and am usually very impressed - particularly when they are young posters (in the forum's case).

Old October 12th, 2006, 7:32 pm
Second Year

Seems I ought not to try too hard, unless I want to be unmasked

Old October 12th, 2006, 7:32 pm
Second Year

It doesn't bother me, although I do prefer to read more correctly spelt articles.

What bother me are the so-called "upper-class" people in Britain who have a better education in their native language and enjoy to feel superior and criticize those who are not so good with writing (or speaking). When you really study English hard, you will realize that, like all languages, it develops through time, and there is no 'standard of correctness' long-term.

Eg.:
In the 13th Century, people in Britain, even the professional writers, used double negatives. They were accepted by all until a Bishop or someone of important religious status declare that they are incorrect to be used. Personally I think he had the right idea, but it just shows how flexible language is.

(I apologise if anybody feels that I'm having a rant about what I disaprove of there, or if anyone is offended. I simply have a big interest in discussions like these and thought it was appropriate to bring that up.)

P.S: Languages rule!!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives