Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7



 
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old April 21st, 2007, 3:54 am
queenanne22  Female.gif queenanne22 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4199 days
Location: Earth
Posts: 12
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

As much as Harry does not want Ginny to be a part of finding the Horcruxes and defeating Voldemort, I like to think that she'll want to help and will convince Harry to let her come along. If I remember correctly, Ginny was only shy around Harry her first year in Hogwarts- after that whe was her usual headstrong self around him. She seems to me to have a stubborn personality, and will almost definitely do something to assist Harry, not sit at home or school waiting for him to come back. I actually wouldn't mind it if JKR killed Ginny off- the last tragedy for the Boy Who Lived! If that happened, Ginny would have to die in some great sacrifice to help Harry kill Voldemort or something like that....SOMEone good has to die, why not her?


__________________

"You're the echoes of my everything,
You're the emptiness the whole world sings at night.
You're the laziness of afternoon,
You're the reason why I burst and why I bloomed...."

92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old April 21st, 2007, 3:54 am
meesha1971's Avatar
meesha1971  Female.gif meesha1971 is offline
Master of the Magical Arts
 
Joined: 4938 days
Location: The Unknowable Room
Age: 47
Posts: 12,731
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider62442 View Post
Theres a difference between resenting your brothers' intrusiveness and protectiveness and your boyfriend trying to keep you from certain death. Fred, George and Ron want to keep her safe from hormonal teenage boys. Despite the fact that they all know she is perfectly capable to handle whatever threat that could pose they insist on treating her like little girl. Harry isn't thinking about wandering hands or dirty minds. He's thinking about Voldemort. As capable as Ginny is, she isn't up to dealing with that. Like Harry said to Cho Chang in OotP, Voldemort will kill you no matter how competent a fighter you are because he is in a class by himself. So theres not equivallency between the motives of the protective brothers and those of protective Harry.
Harry also threw himself bodily between her and Ron - seeing the need to protect her from her own brother. The fact that he doesn't acknowledge that she can take care of herself could very well be an issue.

There's also the fact that Voldemort has reasons to go after Ginny that don't have anything to do with Harry.

Quote:
Ginny has never shown a tendency to let anything build in her. When angered, she lets it out. When Ron attacked her about making out in public she went right at him with a blistering verbal assault that caused all the termoil of the next several chapters.
Actually, that was a situation that had built up over time. It started in OOTP - Ginny didn't want to tell Ron that she was dating Michael because she thought he would react badly. At the beginning of HBP, she blames Ron for the twins lecturing her about her love life - but Fred intervened and changed the subject before it became a fight. By the time Ron yells at her for snogging in a public corridor, the issue has built up into something bigger than it should have been. She's blaming Ron for things he didn't even do because she let the issue build up.

Quote:
"Harry not responding well to direct confrontations" seems precarious to me. I don't know anyone who exactly thrives on being confronted. But the more important disagreement I have is that Ginny in the past has directly confronted Harry when she thought he was going in the wrong direction. She went right at him and kept at him in OotP when Harry thought he was being posessed. That confrontation was very significant for H/G shippers at the time. When I read it, it was just more confirmation that H/G would be the final pairing because Ginny could argue with him as an equal, demonstrating that she was best suited for him.
That's not exactly what I meant. That's pretty much what I expect Ginny to do in DH. I was referring to Hermione's method of attacking and nagging. That never works with Harry and only serves to make him defensive - whereas Ginny can typically get through to him with a few well chosen words.

The biggest difference is that in OOTP the four of them were secluded in the bedroom. In HBP, they're sitting in the middle of a crowd at Dumbledore's funeral. While it is clear that Ginny wanted to say more, she also showed a great deal of maturity in attempting to handle the situation calmly and rationally. Dumbledore's funeral was not the place to cause a scene.

Quote:
I would have expected her to argue with him immediately if she was going to disagree with his motivations. She was not surprised by Harry's decision, she expected it to happen at some point. If those thoughts had been in her head for a while surely she would have already had enough time to formulate her argument if she was going to make one. I don't think it matters that Harry didn't let her say anymore and walked away as quick as he could. Because if Ginny wanted to say something she would not have let him get away so easily.
I disagree. I felt that it was very clear that, while Ginny understood and expected him to do that, she did not agree with it and she was very upset about it. However, Dumbledore's funeral was not the place to have a big argument. Ginny attempted to handle it calmly and rationally - and that was working. She was getting through to Harry. But he chose to walk away.

It's also significant that not much time passes between Harry walking away from Ginny and the end of the book. The confrontation with Scrimgeour and talking with Ron and Hermione only took minutes. Since it appears that DH is going to pick up right where HBP left off, we could very well see them argue at the beginning. However, I think it is more likely that Ginny will wait until they are on the train. It is possible that she might even wait until they come to the Burrow for the wedding to give Harry time to deal with his grief.

Either way, I have no doubt that Ginny has more to say and she will say it. She'll find a way to get some time with Harry so she can talk to him.


__________________

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling


All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

  #23  
Old April 21st, 2007, 4:12 am
jelly_legs  Female.gif jelly_legs is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4204 days
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 30
Posts: 41
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refinnej7 View Post
I don't think Ginny will come along and search for the Horcruxes with Harry, but I think she will be an asset in the final battle. She's proven her fighting ability the past two big battles, I think she'll take down a DE or two.

And I believe that Harry and Ginny will end up together. I think Trelawney made one true prediction about him when she broke down and cried in OotP, saying he'll live to be 100 and have twelve children, and I think Ginny will be the woman he spends those years with.
I think so too....Or at least I hope so... I believe they will end up together after Voldemort's death. I can just picture Harry, after finishing Voldemort off, running towards her and kissing her. lol


__________________
Don't spoil DH or Dobby will give you his smelly sock...

"What do you mean, I'm not brave in bed?" said Harry, completely nonplussed. "What- am I supposed to be frightened of - pillows or something?" - Harry
"Malfoy glanced around. Then he looked back at Harry and said in a low voice, "You're dead, Potter."
Harry raised his eyebrows. "Funny," he said, "you'd think I'd have stopped walking around..."


Why does HP have to end???WHY???? I want it to last forever and ever...and ever.....and ever...Please Jo...I'll do anything..
  #24  
Old April 21st, 2007, 4:47 am
dweaselqueen's Avatar
dweaselqueen  Female.gif dweaselqueen is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4353 days
Location: English Room, 206
Age: 29
Posts: 1,309
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Quote:
Originally posted by AL_Patterson
I didn't like the way they got together, Harry kept lusting over her in every other chapter in HBP. But atleast he's finally with the right one. A better choice than Cho Chang. Ah, where to from here? I can only imagine a happy ending for them. Or as Prof Trelawney said in OotP, tons of kids and a very successful life.
I wouldn't compare Harry's crush on Ginny with his crush on Cho Chang. Yes, he had fantasies about both of them, but that is what teenagers do when we like someone. With Cho, Harry didn't know her at all, it was a shallow crush. He was "warm for her form" and the only thing they have in common is Quidditch. With Ginny, Harry is already friends with her. He's seen her in her natural environment, the Burrow, he knows that she is incredibly powerful (although he does underestimate her) and is able to hold a conversation with her on more than one topic. His crush on Ginny has a far more stable foundation than his lust for Cho.

Quote:
Originally posted by jelly_legs
I think so too....Or at least I hope so... I believe they will end up together after Voldemort's death. I can just picture Harry, after finishing Voldemort off, running towards her and kissing her. lol
As cute as that would be, with all emotional upheaval of having finally defeated Voldemort, I highly doubt Harry is going to feel like snogging Ginny. I definately see him turning to her for comfort, but I think snogging will have to wait for a little bit, for things to settle down.

Then again, I could be totally wrong and Harry will be kissing Ginny by the time the smoke of battle settles.


__________________
Don't want to see you go
But it's not forever, not forever
Even if it was you know that I would never
Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
  #25  
Old April 21st, 2007, 5:35 am
Milamber  Male.gif Milamber is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4343 days
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 68
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
There's also the fact that Voldemort has reasons to go after Ginny that don't have anything to do with Harry.
I think I discussed these motives with you in v.6 of this thread. Yes, I agree that Ginny is inevitably a target for the Death Eaters, and her relationship status with Harry will not have a significant effect on how likely she is to die at the hands of Voldemort. Indeed, despite the added attention and danger, one would think that since she would be in the company of Harry, Ron and Hermione, she would be more safe that way.
Quote:
Either way, I have no doubt that Ginny has more to say and she will say it. She'll find a way to get some time with Harry so she can talk to him.
I agree here as well. Ginny shows the ability to get through to Harry and access his emotions as no-one else could. I think that the reason he is attracted to her is because of the fact she actually shows interest in his emotions; Cho was too caught up dealing with her own grievances to show any interest in Harry's emotional troubles. Despite this, I think Ginny will find it very hard to convince Harry that they should stay together. As you said, it was a mark of her emotional maturity that she didn't cause a scene at Dumbledore's funeral, but rather has decided to wait until a more suitable time and place to pursue her chosen course of action.


__________________
  #26  
Old April 21st, 2007, 6:10 am
PeNgUiNsRuLe's Avatar
PeNgUiNsRuLe  Female.gif PeNgUiNsRuLe is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4850 days
Location: the potters' for tea... :)
Age: 31
Posts: 1,317
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milamber View Post
I think that the reason he is attracted to her is because of the fact she actually shows interest in his emotions; Cho was too caught up dealing with her own grievances to show any interest in Harry's emotional troubles. Despite this, I think Ginny will find it very hard to convince Harry that they should stay together. As you said, it was a mark of her emotional maturity that she didn't cause a scene at Dumbledore's funeral, but rather has decided to wait until a more suitable time and place to pursue her chosen course of action.
well, that, and he and ginny have an actual friendship to build a relationship. i've heard it said before and i've seen it with several of my friends: some of the best, most stable relationships are built on what started as friendship, grew to bestfriends, and grew into a romantic and mature love. cho was harry's first real crush. but there was nothing really there other than physical attraction. not to mention, as you said, cho was a giant piece of emotional baggage. the relationship was never really going to get that deep. but with ginny, harry's already a part of the family, a really good friend, and their relationship is comfortable and easy. it doesn't revolve around physical attraction or snogging (yes, they are attracted to each other and they do sometimes snog, but that's not their basis and the soul purpose of their relationship), it's a deeper friendship and mutual bond. and i think she will get a hold of harry later. the conversation was left hanging. according to the blurb on the uk versions of the covers, it looks like the book's timing will start right after he gets back to number 4. i think ginny will get harry at the wedding. as i said in the last version, there are going to be many influences there, other than her, and i think they and especially her will convince harry. i dunno yet that i think she'll start out on the horcrux hunt, but i think she'll later get more involved. and i definitely think that between fleur and bill, tonks and lupin, the weasleys, hermione and ron, and ginny herself, harry will have quite a time coming up with a good enough reason to satisfy all of them that he and ginny shouldn't be together.


__________________
"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head.
"Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"


"Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!"...this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship...



the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
  #27  
Old April 21st, 2007, 7:37 am
DBear  Male.gif DBear is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4552 days
Location: USA
Age: 52
Posts: 134
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

I don't think H/G is set in stone yet. Harry's "lust dragon" for Ginny is for me too reminiscent of Won/Lav and we know how that turned out. I still think Luna has an important part to play. She's not afraid of death, so she would seem to be better to have along on any horcrux hunt. IMO, of course.


__________________
  #28  
Old April 21st, 2007, 8:47 am
YellowRose's Avatar
YellowRose  Female.gif YellowRose is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4973 days
Location: Doing Wheelies
Age: 35
Posts: 2,259
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

I think JK made Ginny very understanding, if hurt, when Harry broke up with her to primarily show how very different she is from Cho, who cried all the time..I also think that JK will not show Ginny nagging Harry about the break-up to underline her difference from Hermione. (Obviously not in a romantic sense like Cho, but in the fact that Hermione can and does nag Harry many times while Ginny dosen't. And in no way am I saying that Ginny is better than Hermione..it's just that it's part of Hermione's wonderful character to nag Harry to death, and not part of Ginny's. )


I can see Ginny helping Harry, Ron and Hermione where possible but never cornering Harry about the break-up. I think she knows he dosen't need that kind of pressure at the moment. If things go well for Harry and he wins and all (most?) of his friends survive then I can see Harry, after some time has passed, going to Ginny to start afresh. But then after is all said and done Ginny herself might have changed her mind and say no!


__________________
  #29  
Old April 21st, 2007, 9:17 am
inkling7  Female.gif inkling7 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4749 days
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 1,150
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

To me Harry was a bit selfish in breaking up with Ginny but unintentionally so. However he really should get together with her before he goes off horcrux hunting so when the end comes he feels he has something to live for and will fight tooth and nail to survive so he can be with Ginny. This could be a possibility once his anger and grief over the death of Albus subsides.


  #30  
Old April 21st, 2007, 3:30 pm
Sile's Avatar
Sile  Female.gif Sile is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 5208 days
Location: Tir na Nog
Age: 37
Posts: 574
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL_Patterson View Post
I didn't like the way they got together, Harry kept lusting over her in every other chapter in HBP.
He's a 16 year old boy. All they do is think with their hormones so I think it was an appropriate way for them to get together. It's the way a lot of relationships start at that age.


__________________

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
  #31  
Old April 21st, 2007, 3:47 pm
resol612  Undisclosed.gif resol612 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4329 days
Posts: 21
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sile View Post
He's a 16 year old boy. All they do is think with their hormones so I think it was an appropriate way for them to get together. It's the way a lot of relationships start at that age.
I still have to agree to the abruptness of this entire 'lust'. Attributing this sudden lust to his teenage years is ridiculous since he should be considered a teen from the age of 13 onwards (Which is around the time of PoA/GoF)

Even if he liked Cho at GoF, it's quite weird to have him mull over Ginny suddenly in HBP. He didn't really notice her unless you count CoS.


__________________
The above post is not completely true and only represents the author's opinion - feel free to rebut or add on to it. Enjoy!
  #32  
Old April 21st, 2007, 4:03 pm
Sile's Avatar
Sile  Female.gif Sile is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 5208 days
Location: Tir na Nog
Age: 37
Posts: 574
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Ginny never allowed Harry to notice her. Everytime he came into the room she ran. She always mumbled to him and acted shy and embarassed. In OOTP she finally decided to act normally in front of him but he was still stuck on Cho at the time so never gave much notice. He only seemed to notice that she was more forward with him. I believe that deep down he was noticing Ginny during OOTP, whenever he described her it was always in flattering terms. Her Flaming red hair for example. It was just his crush on Cho that prevented anything from happening. When Ginny mentioned she was dating Dean at the end of OOTP, Harry was slightly jealous though he put it down to feeling protective towards 'Rons little sister'. It was the gradual development of his feelings that he was unaware of and then it was suddenly 'I like Ginny!'


__________________

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
  #33  
Old April 21st, 2007, 4:21 pm
Deevo's Avatar
Deevo  Male.gif Deevo is offline
Student
 
Joined: 5064 days
Location: Geraldton, Western Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Kaine View Post
If they get an ending together, that's fine by me. But I really hope they don't turn them into young James and Lily. James and Lily are dead, and should remain there.
There are resemblances, that's true, but there are also big differences. Harry is a very different individual to James and we really don't know that much about Lily to make a comparison between her and Ginny beyond the established fact that they have both been seen to stick up for underdogs on occasion.

There are obvious physical similarities too but that's not as significant to their relationship beyond some possible foreshadowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiKels View Post
I think that Harry is going to try to stick to his noble ideals about leaving Ginny to do his duty and find the horcruxes. However, Ginny has never been one to sit around while Harry (or any other of the people she is close to) is in danger. And Ginny can most likely be an asset to Harry. She has already proven to him (in the ministry of magic) that she can defend herself and fight without serious injury. (and, hey, she is good at that Bat-Bogey Hex.) However, I don't know anything specific that she is particularly good at. But who knows what she can do. We have never really seen her at clases in Hogwarts.
That's an interesting point and one that Meesha touched on earlier too, we haven't seen much of Ginny in action (Meaning Harry hasn't either) either in class or otherwise but we've been reminded on occasion that she is powerful and Jo has said outright that we're going to see 'impressive things' from her in Deathly Hallows. To me that is pretty unequivocal, she isn't a prize, a princess in the tower waiting for Prince Charming (though Harry can be anything but charming on occasion ) to come home.

The Ginny nay-sayers will tell you not to overestimate her contribution either but to that I'd ask what's to overestimate? We haven't seen anything yet beyond her dodge a few hexes and even then Harry felt obliged to intervene.

Quote:
They're going to have some type of meeting during Deathly Hallows. J.K. Rowling has spent a while setting them up and I don't think she is just going to completely separate them now.
Their discussion from the end of Half Blood Prince is by no means over, in fact I quite like Meesha's suggestion that Ginny could be really brassed off with him at that point walking away from her as he did. A confrontation on the train is an interesting and very real possibility and in that, as I've said before, my money's on the redhead.

Quote:
If the book was going to have a happy, fairytale ending, Ginny and Harry would end up together. With the books being like they are, I'm not really sure what will happen to them in the end.
Personally I'm anticipating a happy ending in the real life sense, they beat the bad guy and move on with their lives, presumably as a couple. They'll all have scars to deal with both literally and metaphorically but when one has fought a war that's always going to be the case. Jo showed that quite well in her description of Frank Bryce at the beginning of Goblet of Fire.

No I suspect they'll get on with life in the post war world as best they can leaving plenty of scope for a future and hopefully plenty of scope for some good future fanfic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
I agree. Harry is letting that fear control him at the moment. We saw him doing the same thing in OOTP - he was hurting and very angry and he didn't want to feel anything if it meant having to feel pain. Dumbledore talked him through that.
But there's no Dumbledore to do that this time around, it'll be up to Harry himself, maybe with combined input from Ron and Hermione (they are effective with him when they 'double tem' him) or Ginny to snap him round this time. Still snapping out of it is one thing; accepting help to achieve what he needs to is on another level again.

Quote:
However, I do think that Harry really hasn't given much consideration to how capable Ginny is. He hasn't seen it for himself and he doesn't really think about it. He seems to feel that Ginny needs to be protected. The fight between Ron and Ginny is a good example of that. When Ginny pulled her wand, Harry really didn't do anything. But when Ron pulled his wand, Harry put himself in front of Ginny. He didn't feel that Ron needed protecting from Ginny, but clearly felt that Ginny needed to be protected from Ron.
Again this is indicative of him underestimating her, despite evidence that he shouldn't.

Quote:
I think that could potentially become an issue. Ginny was rebelling against her brothers being so overprotective of her in HBP. She was tired of being seen as just the baby sister. I don't see her tolerating that kind of behavior from Harry either.
Oh no, not at all. It'll be an interesting conflict when it comes.

Quote:
That's an interesting point. I do agree that there is an argument to come - Harry and Ginny have not really had an argument and they are due for one. After all, all couples argue to some extent. As I said above, I think Harry continuing to be protective towards Ginny to the degree that he would throw himself bodily into a fray will likely become an issue - particularly with Harry breaking up with her for a "stupid noble reason" that basically just comes down to Harry not wanting her to get hurt.

It's interesting to look at Ginny's behaviour at the end of HBP - particularly before the funeral. She's not sleeping well and she interrupts Harry to announce that she's going to bed because of that. Initially, this would appear to be rather uncaring. However, when Harry breaks up with her, she says that she knew he was going to do it and that sheds new light on her previous behaviour. She knew what was coming and could tell that Harry was pulling away. She was resigned to the inevitable and needed that time to herself to prepare for it - how she would handle it and what she would say. She knows that Harry does not respond well to direct confrontation so she had to consider her approach carefully.

Ginny laid the groundwork in letting Harry know that she understands why - even if she doesn't agree with him. And she let him know that she wasn't going to give up. She's not asking him to stay or telling him to stay out of it, but she is telling him that she will be there for him no matter what. Harry walked away before she was finished, but the groundwork has been laid.

Something that struck me today about all of that - Harry walked away and did not look back. He couldn't bear it and doesn't even look Ginny's way after that so we don't know how Ginny reacted to that. She made the effort to be calm and rationale and he walked away. I think that could be a factor as well. Lack of sleep, her own grief, her own hurt at Harry's actions, irritation with being coddled and overprotected overall, and the fact that he walked away could all very well add up to one very hacked off Ginny Weasley.
That's an interesting possibility and sets up the chance of an early confrontation between the two, perhaps even on the train. With the possibility of Ron and Hermione finally making some admissions their it could make for an interesting scene with the two couples pulling in diametrically opposite directions at the same time. Could make for an interesting scene.

Quote:
I wouldn't say that Harry and Ginny are exactly like James and Lily. There are some similarities, but there differences as well. In terms of temperament and how they interacted, Ron and Hermione seem to be more like James and Lily in that regard.
While there are similarities between the Marauders, the elder Weasleys and our foursome there are also sufficient differences to separate them, I feel that there may be the odd parallel involved but that, for the most part, can be considered foreshadowing rather than direct connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider62442 View Post
Theres a difference between resenting your brothers' intrusiveness and protectiveness and your boyfriend trying to keep you from certain death.
But is it really certain death that Harry thinks he is protecting her from? We have already discussed that she's a target in her own right regardless so it would appear, in my view at least, that Harry is, maybe subconsciously, trying to protect himself as opposed to Ginny and his mind is rationalising this to him by his thinking he's protecting her. Ginny seems to understand his thinking here and has started to get through to him, it remains to be seen how soon she'll continue this.

Quote:
Fred, George and Ron want to keep her safe from hormonal teenage boys.
Don't know about Fred and George beyond their comments at the beginning of Half Blood Prince but it's been pretty well established that Ron has done very little to interfere with her personal life up to date beyond making a few snide comments on her boyfriends and fronting up to his 'urgh' moment when he was confronted with Ginny and Dean in the corridor.

Quote:
Despite the fact that they all know she is perfectly capable to handle whatever threat that could pose they insist on treating her like little girl.
Well, it seems clear that Harry still underestimates her.

Quote:
Harry isn't thinking about wandering hands or dirty minds. He's thinking about Voldemort. As capable as Ginny is, she isn't up to dealing with that. Like Harry said to Cho Chang in OotP, Voldemort will kill you no matter how competent a fighter you are because he is in a class by himself. So theres not equivallency between the motives of the protective brothers and those of protective Harry.
Like I said I'd question the level of protectiveness (and of whom) in both instances.

Quote:
Ginny has never shown a tendency to let anything build in her. When angered, she lets it out. When Ron attacked her about making out in public she went right at him with a blistering verbal assault that caused all the termoil of the next several chapters.
I wouldn't be so sure of that, whether or not Ron was the cause or the innocent victim of Ginny's ire in the argument it seems quite clear at the time by her wording that she's been stewing on this issue for a while.
Half Blood Prince - Bloomsbury edition p 268'Right,' said Ginny, tossing her long red hair out of her face and glaring at Ron, 'let's get this straight once and for all. It is none of your business who I go out with or what I do with them Ron-'

Highlight mine.

Quote:
"Harry not responding well to direct confrontations" seems precarious to me.
Really? We've seen it so many times when Hermione has challenged him though. He avoids, lies and when cornered explodes.

Quote:
I don't know anyone who exactly thrives on being confronted.
*cough* Ron and Hermione *cough*

Quote:
But the more important disagreement I have is that Ginny in the past has directly confronted Harry when she thought he was going in the wrong direction. She went right at him and kept at him in OotP when Harry thought he was being possessed. That confrontation was very significant for H/G shippers at the time.
A good example actually, she didn't confront him in that exchange. He was feeling cornered and seemed to be building up a head of steam and she shut him down with a simple personal statement.

Quote:
When I read it, it was just more confirmation that H/G would be the final pairing because Ginny could argue with him as an equal, demonstrating that she was best suited for him.
Can't argue with that, though at the time I felt that Harry / Ginny was mainly wishful thinking for my own part.

Quote:
I would have expected her to argue with him immediately if she was going to disagree with his motivations. She was not surprised by Harry's decision, she expected it to happen at some point. If those thoughts had been in her head for a while surely she would have already had enough time to formulate her argument if she was going to make one. I don't think it matters that Harry didn't let her say anymore and walked away as quick as he could. Because if Ginny wanted to say something she would not have let him get away so easily.
Maybe but I doubt it. The setting was not the place to continue that discussion but it wasn't over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folly54 View Post
I agree that she's grown a lot over the years but Ginny was only ever shy and introverted around Harry. She's always been bold if you take Ron, Fred and George's word for it.
But this aspect of her and her abilities have been very carefully kept out of Harry's field of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
Harry also threw himself bodily between her and Ron - seeing the need to protect her from her own brother. The fact that he doesn't acknowledge that she can take care of herself could very well be an issue.


Quote:
There's also the fact that Voldemort has reasons to go after Ginny that don't have anything to do with Harry.
It was, as I think you pointed out in the previous version, that the war isn't about Harry, he's a factor, but everyone involved on both sides are in it for more than just his fate.

Quote:
Actually, that was a situation that had built up over time. It started in OOTP - Ginny didn't want to tell Ron that she was dating Michael because she thought he would react badly. At the beginning of HBP, she blames Ron for the twins lecturing her about her love life - but Fred intervened and changed the subject before it became a fight. By the time Ron yells at her for snogging in a public corridor, the issue has built up into something bigger than it should have been. She's blaming Ron for things he didn't even do because she let the issue build up.
I'd be curious to find out just how the twins found out about her previous relationships as I don't think it's a subject that Ron would talk to them about even if he was angry or protective about it.

Quote:
It's also significant that not much time passes between Harry walking away from Ginny and the end of the book. The confrontation with Scrimgeour and talking with Ron and Hermione only took minutes. Since it appears that DH is going to pick up right where HBP left off, we could very well see them argue at the beginning. However, I think it is more likely that Ginny will wait until they are on the train. It is possible that she might even wait until they come to the Burrow for the wedding to give Harry time to deal with his grief.

Either way, I have no doubt that Ginny has more to say and she will say it. She'll find a way to get some time with Harry so she can talk to him.
And that's a confrontation that I'm going to look forward to reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
I don't think H/G is set in stone yet. Harry's "lust dragon" for Ginny is for me too reminiscent of Won/Lav and we know how that turned out.
I know what you mean but I feel that the internal conflict we saw from Harry with his 'lust dragon' as you put it was clearly well beyond the kind of relationship we saw between Ron and Lavender, the fact that he agonised over it for so long demonstrated that IMO.

Quote:
I still think Luna has an important part to play. She's not afraid of death, so she would seem to be better to have along on any horcrux hunt. IMO, of course.
I don't doubt it but I doubt it'll be any sort of romantic role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkling7 View Post
To me Harry was a bit selfish in breaking up with Ginny but unintentionally so.
Agreed, he's in a pretty rough mindset at that point in the story.

Quote:
However he really should get together with her before he goes off horcrux hunting so when the end comes he feels he has something to live for and will fight tooth and nail to survive so he can be with Ginny.
While I agree that he needs to get back together I don't think it'll be before the initial stages of the Horcrux hunt. I feel that he'll initially try pushing all of his loved ones away and will probably suffer for it. Actually Meesha came up with an interesting possibility that he might even try to skip out on Ron and Hermione early on though they'll likely be expecting that and be ready for it.

Quote:
This could be a possibility once his anger and grief over the death of Albus subsides.
Maybe, but he is stubborn and needs a good jolt to show him where he's made a mistake, hopefully that'll happen before the final showdown.


  #34  
Old April 21st, 2007, 4:28 pm
inkling7  Female.gif inkling7 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4749 days
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 1,150
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Relatonships might have a tendency to last longer if they start out as friendshis first and not lust or sexual attraction as a friendship gives time to like each other for personalities and not just looks as the others tend to start out. I found my partner this way....

This means the relationship - once it gets going on an even keel - should be very strong and last longer.

Sorry Deevo just read your post as I'm in Oz too it seems we were reading and writing at the same time and as an afterthought I must agree with much of what you said - but for peace of mind and to fuction better I think Harry must resolve this relationship thing with Ginny before things get too hairy in book 7.



Last edited by inkling7; April 21st, 2007 at 4:39 pm. Reason: see above
  #35  
Old April 21st, 2007, 4:43 pm
soxy_luvsharry  Undisclosed.gif soxy_luvsharry is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4203 days
Location: Gryffondor Common Room
Age: 25
Posts: 39
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

I am personally routing for Harry and Ginny-- though I do see ya'll's point...

I think Harry was selfish in breaking up with Ginny... even though the main reason is because he wanted to be 'noble'--- but it just ended up hurting them both.

like Dumbledore kept mentioning in HBP--- Voldemorts weakness is love... and I think that will have a major effect... if Harry will not be able to love Ginny... during the 7th book.

I can definately tell there will be some drama with Harry/Ginny during the 7th book.


__________________
"Not just the Spanish Main, luv. The entire ocean. The entire wo'ld. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom."
----Captain Jack Sparrow

My two favorite loves: it involves a guitar and a wand.=]...
  #36  
Old April 21st, 2007, 9:07 pm
RWeasleysgirl's Avatar
RWeasleysgirl  Female.gif RWeasleysgirl is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4502 days
Location: The floating house above you.
Age: 26
Posts: 2,618
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Well, what’s a book without some drama?

Welcome to the thread.


__________________
Ron

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
  #37  
Old April 21st, 2007, 9:24 pm
PeNgUiNsRuLe's Avatar
PeNgUiNsRuLe  Female.gif PeNgUiNsRuLe is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4850 days
Location: the potters' for tea... :)
Age: 31
Posts: 1,317
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
Well, what’s a book without some drama?
boring.

i don't think the "lust" thing was that abrupt. i don't think it's been mentioned much because harry hasn't had anybody to focus it on other than cho and ginny. and i believe it's a sign of the maturity of them both, as well as a deeper relationship, that they don't sit around and snog all the time like ron and lavender. they kiss a little, yeah, but they don't have a relationship for the sole purpose of snogging like ron and lavender. so the ron/lavender issue is really not comparable with the harry/ginny relationship.


__________________
"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head.
"Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"


"Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!"...this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship...



the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
  #38  
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:55 pm
calgary  Female.gif calgary is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4965 days
Location: Not where you think
Posts: 244
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

I think at some point Ginny will find out about the horcurx, and not from Harry. I think Hermione (or even Ron!) will be the one. Either letting it slip out or telling her directly. If Ginny is involved, it will probably be with Luna and or Neveille in relationship to Dumbledore's Army. Although she was important to the plot in book 6, her role in there was not that big. Book 7 will be similar I think.

If she winds up in the end near Harry's fight with LV (along with R/Hr.) I would be surprised. I guess because her character is not as big as the trio, I just don't think she will be there. Anyway, we will all have to wait. JKR just might write something entirely in a different direction then what we assume or guess.


  #39  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:09 am
Deevo's Avatar
Deevo  Male.gif Deevo is offline
Student
 
Joined: 5064 days
Location: Geraldton, Western Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkling7 View Post
Sorry Deevo just read your post as I'm in Oz too it seems we were reading and writing at the same time and as an afterthought I must agree with much of what you said - but for peace of mind and to fuction better I think Harry must resolve this relationship thing with Ginny before things get too hairy in book 7.
That's just what I see coming about though, Harry is currently in a pretty negative mindset and he needs to shake himself out of this if he's going to achieve what he must. Still he's too stubborn to back off from the position he's already put himself in easily and he doesn't respond well to being told he's wrong either. That's why I think he'll at least start off his quest with something of a Lone Ranger mindset, maybe even attempting to give Ron and Hermione the slip early on and this could be the cause of some setbacks during the initial phase of their mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgary View Post
I think at some point Ginny will find out about the horcurx, and not from Harry. I think Hermione (or even Ron!) will be the one. Either letting it slip out or telling her directly.
I've been thinking about that and it's the sort of thing Hermione would do if she thought it was for the greater good.

Quote:
If Ginny is involved, it will probably be with Luna and or Neveille in relationship to Dumbledore's Army. Although she was important to the plot in book 6, her role in there was not that big. Book 7 will be similar I think.
Could be, I think she'll have some direct involvement with the Horcruxes or at least one of them too.

Quote:
If she winds up in the end near Harry's fight with LV (along with R/Hr.) I would be surprised. I guess because her character is not as big as the trio, I just don't think she will be there. Anyway, we will all have to wait. JKR just might write something entirely in a different direction then what we assume or guess.
She's clearly written Ginny as Harry's equal and 'other half' and in that respect I think she'll have a good bit of significance to the story at large. Initially, probably because of Harry's pig headedness, she may not be so directly involved but I think that'll change the further into the story we get.


  #40  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:36 am
dweaselqueen's Avatar
dweaselqueen  Female.gif dweaselqueen is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4353 days
Location: English Room, 206
Age: 29
Posts: 1,309
Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Quote:
originally posted by calgary
I think at some point Ginny will find out about the horcurx, and not from Harry. I think Hermione (or even Ron!) will be the one. Either letting it slip out or telling her directly. If Ginny is involved, it will probably be with Luna and or Neveille in relationship to Dumbledore's Army. Although she was important to the plot in book 6, her role in there was not that big. Book 7 will be similar I think.

If she winds up in the end near Harry's fight with LV (along with R/Hr.) I would be surprised. I guess because her character is not as big as the trio, I just don't think she will be there. Anyway, we will all have to wait. JKR just might write something entirely in a different direction then what we assume or guess.
I also thought that Hermione would be the one to spill the beans. If Hermione thinks that Ginny might have any use in the Horcrux search, I could see Hermione telling her about it without first consulting Harry. She has done it before (like with McGonagall and the Firebolt in PoA).

However, I think that Ginny will be involved at the end. If she isn't involved to a great extent in the Horcrux Hunt, she is going to be in the battle. It is only when Harry sees Ginny in battle that he will stop underestimating her. While Harry is always alone at the climax, he always needs other people to get there. With love being Harry's greatest power, he is going to need Ginny, his romantic love, to propel him to the final conflict. As well as the trio, and Hagrid, and other various members of the order.


__________________
Don't want to see you go
But it's not forever, not forever
Even if it was you know that I would never
Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums

Last edited by dweaselqueen; April 22nd, 2007 at 12:37 am. Reason: quote box
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 5:34 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.