Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Avada Kedavra- A Counter Curse?

Old April 14th, 2007, 5:57 pm
First Year

Re: Avada Kedavra- A Counter Curse?

There used to be a thread named ‘Avada Kedavra with love’ which ‘concluded’ that Avada Kedavra is a twisted form of 'Abra Cadabra', a powerful ‘healing spell’ in ancient times.

Healing sometimes mean to destroy the sickness, like chemo destroys cancer. Maybe this though will help the discussion.

I think, as others do that there is no counter curse. That one must block it or, and that is an other option, must absorb it in a way that causes no harm, as what happened with Harry.

Last edited by Maria_Ravenclaw; April 16th, 2007 at 10:10 am.
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2007, 6:02 pm
First Year

It would be sick to see two powerful wizards apparating and reappearing just feet away from their inital position. firing hexes and curses, dissappearing and reappearing. The fight would almost be a blur in both peoples attempt to stay one step ahead of the other. It would take a lot of brainpower too.

Old April 14th, 2007, 6:15 pm
First Year

If the "dumbledore-sacrificed-himself-for-harry-so-harry-has-love-protection-again" theory is true then VOLDEMORT CANNOT TOUCH HARRY AGAIN!!!!!
On the other hand this protection is only activated when someone who loves Harry dies and I dont think Dumbledore really "loved Harry" -that would need a blood relative or a romantic interest.
however if Ginny dies (which i dont want to happen) then Harry would again get the "love protection"

And Dobby shouted ,"You shall not spoil Deathly Hallows or your fate will be the same as my ex-master."
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

Spoiler: show
If you are reading this it means you are not helping!
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:06 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ady View Post
If the "dumbledore-sacrificed-himself-for-harry-so-harry-has-love-protection-again" theory is true then VOLDEMORT CANNOT TOUCH HARRY AGAIN!!!!!
On the other hand this protection is only activated when someone who loves Harry dies and I dont think Dumbledore really "loved Harry" -that would need a blood relative or a romantic interest.
however if Ginny dies (which i dont want to happen) then Harry would again get the "love protection"
Not unless Ginny died to save Harry as Lily did. You know, begged with the killer a bit, then made the decision to die rather than live on, in the hope that Harry might thus have a chance at more life. Harry wouldn't let her do that, though. He'd say, "Ginny, what are you doing! I love you! Stop begging Voldemort to kill you and get him with your Bat-Bogey Hex!"

I thought Fake Moody (who wasn't too bad, he knew a lot anyway) said there wasn't a counter-curse to Avada Kedavra.

I read the first post and I think it is a very well-thought-out idea. I can't make up my mind anymore...

Last edited by LeiaShadow; April 14th, 2007 at 11:11 pm.
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:40 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiaShadow View Post
Not unless Ginny died to save Harry as Lily did. You know, begged with the killer a bit, then made the decision to die rather than live on, in the hope that Harry might thus have a chance at more life. Harry wouldn't let her do that, though. He'd say, "Ginny, what are you doing! I love you! Stop begging Voldemort to kill you and get him with your Bat-Bogey Hex!"
I can just imagine that .

As Mad Eye Moody said the only defence of AK is to avoid getting hit. Harry's circumstances were very special. I imagine countless mothers have sacrificed themselves for their children but none of them have survived.

No words can describe the beauty of Australia

avatar thanks to m_kelbell on photobucket
Old April 15th, 2007, 1:59 am
Offishul Fan Girl

Re: Avada Kadavra- A Counter Curse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordovich View Post
Dumbledore's dead. The book clearly states that he's gone. The curse on Harry lifted, a Dumbledore painting appeared in the Headmaster's office and Fawkes left. Oh, and then it's the fact that they buried Dumbledore's body, which wouldn't be the case if he'd survived. So, I'm fairly certain that Dumbledore is gone, even though I'd hope he wasn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizbog View Post
True. Sorcerer's Stone also clearly stated that Scabbers was a rat.
Okay, but JKR also clearly stated that Dumbledore is gone and not coming back. She's even said as much. (Basically: "Dumbledore will not do a Gandalf- he is well and truly dead.")

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.

Last edited by Lillbet; April 15th, 2007 at 2:08 am.
Old April 15th, 2007, 3:35 am
First Year

Re: Avada Kadavra- A Counter Curse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordovich View Post
Dumbledore's dead. The book clearly states that he's gone. The curse on Harry lifted, a Dumbledore painting appeared in the Headmaster's office and Fawkes left. Oh, and then it's the fact that they buried Dumbledore's body, which wouldn't be the case if he'd survived. So, I'm fairly certain that Dumbledore is gone, even though I'd hope he wasn't.
Thank you! I can't stand the way people come up with these "Dumbledore is alive" topics.... anyways...

Okay, The Avada Kedavra is the Killing curse as we all (hopefully) know. I do not think there is a counter-curse... there are defensive spells that may somehow deflect or hit the spell (as we all read in the OoTP when Dumbledore fought Voldemort-when he enchanted the statues) but I do not think there is a counter curse... It's like thwarting death... you can't do it... there are ways, like creating Horcruxs, but I do not believe there is a counter-curse.

Old June 20th, 2007, 1:16 am
Secret Keeper

Avada Kedavra's countercurse

I realize that this may be a common thread so if there is another one, just move it. also, there is a thread that is like this but it has a different idea than this so don't move it there.

Anyways, I think that there must be a countercurse to avada kedavra, and I think that it is the curse itself. If something equal or more in power hits a spell, wouldn't it get absorbed or anything? but harry would have to be really powerful by then, to create a counter avada kedavra for voldemort.

Any thoughts?

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old June 20th, 2007, 1:26 am
Second Year

Re: Avada Kedavra's countercurse

Harry himself is an avada kedravra countercurse.

Obviosely there are a million other ways to kill Harry but if voldemort tries avada kedavra again it will rebound again and not do anything. Although voldemort's blood protects him from touching Harry it doesn't stop Harry from being immune to the avada kedavra curse.

this is baby E signing off
Old June 20th, 2007, 1:35 am
Secret Keeper

but the countercurse wears off once he reaches his 17th birthday

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old June 20th, 2007, 1:40 am
Second Year

I thought it was only the extra protections that dumbledore created that wear off.

I don't think love ever wears off!

this is baby E signing off
Old June 20th, 2007, 1:42 am
Secret Keeper

it doesnt, but the actual effects can

dumbledore told the dursleys bout it

My Deviantart Account

Old June 20th, 2007, 1:45 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally posted by fryonator

Harry himself is an avada kedravra countercurse.

Obviosely there are a million other ways to kill Harry but if voldemort tries avada kedavra again it will rebound again and not do anything. Although voldemort's blood protects him from touching Harry it doesn't stop Harry from being immune to the avada kedavra curse.
Actually, the curse has been gone since book four, since the protection in Harry is now in Voldemort. Voldemort and Harry could kill each other without it rebounding.

I like the idea of one Avada Kedavra blocking another! It makes sense... The question is, does the power of the wizard have anything to do with it (in that case, Harry's doomed) and would the curse move so fast that the chances of them hitting the same spot at the same time would be very slim?

Personally, I think Harry will find another means of killing Voldemort. (Yes, Harry kills him. If death is Voldy's worst fear that's what he deserves to get.)
What I hope is that Harry will kill him indirectly (knock him through the veil?) because I think that Harry is just too good a person to kill someone on purpose, or to even cast Avada Kedavra.

Lord of the Rings fan with a weird sense of humor? Read my fanfic!
Old June 20th, 2007, 1:47 am
Secret Keeper

well, about the chances, it happened in book four. and in my post, i meant more of any wizard, since harry and voldemorts wands dont work against each other anyways

My Deviantart Account

Old June 20th, 2007, 1:49 am
Second Year

I think that Voldy's got a different wand now.

That's probably one of the reasons Ollivander's gone, whether he went willingly or not.

Lord of the Rings fan with a weird sense of humor? Read my fanfic!
Old June 20th, 2007, 1:51 am
Secret Keeper

my thoughts exactly

i kno i should just post this on another forum, but i think that the reason the owner of the ice cream shop disappeared was that he could help harry find horocruxes.

If ickle voldiekins got a new wand, he probably made his old one a horocrux, since he found out at least one was destroyed.

My Deviantart Account

Last edited by Voldemorts8thHorcrux; June 20th, 2007 at 1:53 am.
Old June 20th, 2007, 4:05 am
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywitch View Post
I think that there must be a countercurse to avada kedavra, and I think that it is the curse itself. If something equal or more in power hits a spell, wouldn't it get absorbed or anything? but harry would have to be really powerful by then, to create a counter avada kedavra for voldemort.

Any thoughts?
What about the curse that the Headmaster threw at the-man-who-let-the-boy-live ? It was never named. My question is why was it not named ? Could it be the countercurse to the killing curse ?
On another note, Isn't Luve greater than Death ? After all it was God's luve that spared Jesus from the cross and raised him from the burial cave on Easter Sunday. If it weren't for Lily's luve for her son Harry wouldn't be here. Sure Lily's body died, but, her luve did not. It was what saved Harry from the AK directed at him. Could that be what Lily was possibly working on, a counter to the AK ? Could it possibly be part of a reason that he-who-thinks-he-is-immortal would have spared Lily ?

Old June 20th, 2007, 4:39 am
First Year

Well in the books it says there's no way to block it, well, the kids are taught that there's no way to block it, at all. But maybe that's just officialy. Dumbledore could've come up with something, no doubt he's capable. Or Lily, that's a nice idea, Sevstrueluve!

We must unite inside her or we'll crumble from within
Old June 20th, 2007, 4:49 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoesrock View Post
I think that Harry is just too good a person to kill someone on purpose, or to even cast Avada Kedavra.
I always wondered that.
Wouldn't Harry using Avada Kedavra split his soul? When you kill someone your soul splits, that's what enables you to make a horcrux... wouldn't Harry's soul split, or since he's killing in the name of justice he gets a "Get out of tearing your soul to shreads free card"? Or does your soul only split if you're killing for evil intentions?
I've gone cross-eyed with confusing myself

Gryffindor Girl

I Solemnly Swear That I am Up to No Good

Crookshanks secretly fancies Mrs. Norris... Meow!
Old June 20th, 2007, 5:11 am
Fifth Year

Dumbledore himself said exactly and precisely at the end of GoF, "No spell can reawaken the dead."

I do not believe there is a countercurse to Avada Kedavra. It would not fit with the central theme and messages of 1) Death is nothing to be afraid of, and 2) Death is an unchangeable fact of life.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies