Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

All about the potion in the basin that Dumbledore drank v2

Old November 3rd, 2006, 3:27 pm
First Year

Re: All about the potion in the basin that Dumbledore drank v2

I don't think Dumbledore brought a bezoar with him because he didn't know exactly what he was going to have to face. If it had been something other then a potion a bezoar would not help.

Also, someone mentioned that RAB could have placed the amulet there for Volemort. I seriously doubt that, mainly because Voldemort doesn't trust anybody exspecially with a piece of his soul. Also, Dumbledore was able to find the boat becaue he recognized the magic of Tom Riddle. So it was most likley Voldemort himself who placed the horcrux there and made the potion.

Some people brought up the fact that RAB could have created the potion after he left. But wouldn't he need to bring all the ingrediants with him and a cauldren and what ever else he needed to create the potion. By the effects of the potion I don't think it would have been easy to make and would probablly take some time. I suppose he could have made it and brought it with him, but would the cave allow you to bring the potion in?

My opinion is that Voldemort made the potion and put some type of auto refil charm on it so that if somebody, himself included, drank it then they wouldn't have to re brew the potion.

W.O.M.B.A.T. lvl 1 ~ Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. lvl 2 ~ Exceeds Expectations
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:44 pm
First Year

my main concern is why dumbledore wouldn't investigate the place first before bringing Harry along.. I mean, why wouldn't he just go to the cave, figure out what he had to do, and then bring someone to help? It seems very careless that he would go so quickly and unprepared, as it seems that Voldemort doesn't know about whats happening to his horcruxes...

Perhaps its because he knows he will die that night from the unbreakable vow? Oh my goodness! It just clicked! Haha..

Old November 4th, 2006, 12:02 am
First Year

Adam21011989 i greatly like and agree with your theory about Dumblore looking for Snape to save Snapes life. I will simply add one thing, Dumbledore said he nearly died while destroying the horcrux ring. Dumblewdore also says something along the lines of without Snape Id have died. "Died" not killed. On this occasion also when he was at risk of "dieing" he went to Snape to finish him off as to save Snape. But on that occasion Snape managed to save Dumbledore.

Old November 26th, 2006, 7:10 am
Fourth Year

well it might be for the same reason harry could not get Dumbledore to drink his conjured water,he simply could not

Wand-15",Gaboon Ebony,Bloodwood,& Lignum Vitae,Rigid,Phoenix Ash & Phoenix Tear Core

Broomstick-Scarlet Phoenix

Animagus-African Lion

Patronus-Red Dragon

Durmstrang Institute of Magical Inquiry-Dracheseith House:Powerful,Wise,Crazy,and,Secretive

Magical Pets-Pursequor and Gaudium

I,Erus Omnipotens,The Shadow Lord,Am The Next Great And Powerful Wizard Of All Time
Old December 3rd, 2006, 1:47 pm
First Year

I'm absolutly not convinced!!! I just think that this is another fracture in the writing of Rowling!! She just did that to kill dumbledore! And her pretext is not valid, secure! It's just not convincing!! You don't tell yourself: " It couldn't be any other way!! There was no other solution!" And here's when we see and feel the most that the continuity of Dumbledore's character has been interrupted and that its structure became unsteady!! To serve the plot she kinda transformed some characters and i felt bad about that, it just made feel i was reading a lie... I felt betrayed,disappointed

Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:31 pm
Third Year

I think it had a similar effect to what dementors do to people; they make them relive their worst memories. The big question is: what did Dumbledore see?

^
|

Finally, my two loves come together *sigh*

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old December 4th, 2006, 10:02 am
First Year

Still not convinced!

Old December 5th, 2006, 4:01 am
First Year

Re: Imagine the drink in the cave was deadly?

That is the most amazing theory I've ever heard!

Old December 10th, 2006, 2:00 am
First Year

I also had the thoughts of the stone basin being a pensieve becuase of the quote (page 571:“Dumbledore did not answer. His face was twitching as though he was deeply asleep, but dreaming a horrible dream.”).

I'm not too sure about R.A.B. being Regulus, but it does fit. Then again, I'm not much of a person to think what everyone else does.

I'm also not sure about R.A.B. not destroying the horcrux. Because, if he tried that hard to get it, and didn't die right away, then he would have most likely destroyed it becuase he wouldn't want it to fall into the wrong hands; fellow death eaters or Voldie. He must also have known what it was, and what a vital part of Voldemort living it was. And we know that whoever it was disliked Voldemort and didn't feel he should live. Therefore, destroying it before he died.

Old December 10th, 2006, 2:07 am
First Year

I don't know what the potion was, but I think Voldemort made it with the obvious intent that no one be able to finish it. He planned for one wizard to reach the island, and for that wizard to die before ever retrieving the locket. If Dumbledore had gone alone, he never would have made it off the island.
I dissagree with the pensieve theory. If there were memories in the basin, Dumbledore would have easily identified them, as would Harry.

Old December 10th, 2006, 4:42 am
First Year

It's been a bit since I read POA, but in the movie the flowers and such withered when the dementors were near. Maybe they withered DD's hand when destroying the Horcrux. DD may have been holding that information from Harry til he could break it to him gently.

Just had a thought, what if the potion the locket was in had something to do with dementors? And DD was reliving bad memories because of it (ie. when Harry hears his mother dying when the dementors are near.)

ETASorry...got excited about my first post, spazzed, and posted without reading the similar idea above!

Last edited by Hilde; December 10th, 2006 at 4:51 am.
Old December 10th, 2006, 4:53 am
Third Year

Can you drink memories?

Old December 10th, 2006, 4:54 am
First Year

Caaannn you see your heart's desire in an enchanted mirror?

Old December 10th, 2006, 5:00 am
Third Year

sometimes if i look really hard and it is really late at night ... do u ave an enchanted mirror?

Old December 10th, 2006, 5:10 am
First Year

Unfortunately, no, I'll have to go ask Alice if I can borrow hers.

Old December 10th, 2006, 10:38 am
MODLY CREW

Topic, anyone?

Old December 10th, 2006, 6:57 pm
Second Year

Well it's an intersting topic, but i haven't got much to say about it: It was unhealthy and mysterious. yep...that's all i can say really...

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:09 am
Fourth Year

In a different thread, people have argued that the potion in the penseive-like basin was not actually important, but it was the water from the lake that was actually the important potion... I'm not sure I agree with that bit because the basin-potion clearly had a serious effect on DD, but the fact that only water available for DD to drink is that from the lake is curious, isn't it?

Last edited by Layla; December 13th, 2006 at 11:43 am.
Old December 13th, 2006, 7:08 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla View Post
In a different thread, people have argued that the potion in the penseive-like basin was not actually important, but it was the water from the lake that was actually the important potion... I'm not sure I agree with that bit because the basin-potion clearly had a serious effect on DD, but the fact that only water available for DD to drink is that from the lake is curious, isn't it?
Yes it is, I thought that maybe the water in the lake is partially what turns people into Inferi...

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old December 14th, 2006, 6:25 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Yes it is, I thought that maybe the water in the lake is partially what turns people into Inferi...
That's an excellent theory... Had I been DD, I would definitely prefer death to becoming an Inferi.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies