Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

A Fate Worse than Death

Old July 19th, 2006, 7:47 am
First Year

Re: Worse than death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFal
By "DK" do you mean Dementor's Kiss? If so, I don't think we have reason to believe that DK victims can "know" or be aware of anything. More's the pity.
yeah. i meant somthing (NOT th DK) that did that as the DK isn't bad enough for tom. Maybe they lock him in the RoR?

Or He'll Nail You To The Door
-Morphin HBP

I ship Ginny/Harry Ron/Hermione And Luna/Me!
Rest in Peace Albus Percivul Wolfric Brian Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2006, 8:33 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronlutes
yeah. i meant somthing (NOT th DK) that did that as the DK isn't bad enough for tom. Maybe they lock him in the RoR?
Better than that, how about that special room in the DoM, or transfigured into a Quintaped and transported to the Isle of Drear

Old July 19th, 2006, 8:36 am
First Year

Yes to Voldemort it would be worst then death.

Old July 20th, 2006, 10:10 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4evr1807
I believe that for a wizard like Voldemort, who had no love for anything or anyone, and who is so obcessed about his power, would be devestated if he lost his power, especially his fomidable power that he has over his Death Eaters. That would be as bad as even death I believe to Voldemort.
Indeed he has no love for anyone, killing, destroying, humiliating and torturing his followers, but there is one thing he really cares about: his horcruxes (he was furious when he learnt that the diary had been destroyed).

In the end this means that he loves himself (surprise). He has a very high opinion of himself since childhood (in the orphanage he already felt that he was "special"), and perhaps overestimates his abilities which might be the key to his downfall. He has already admitted that he neglected the protection given to Harry by his mother that caused him to become Vapormort; the next mistake might be fatal.

Old July 20th, 2006, 10:48 am
First Year

Worse than death was mentioned by Dumbledore during the duel in the Ministry. I think there was something different behind these words that Dumbledore didn't want to tell Voldemort. I guess the reason why Dumbledore does not try to kill Voldemort. Yeah, right! Prophecy, isn't it?
"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches. Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies. And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives. The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies."
Assuming the prophecy must come true, Dumbledore killing Voldemort would be wrong. Harry must kill Voldemort. As Dumbledore knew about the prophecy, he didn't try to kill Voldemort. So "worse than death" was just some trick to hide what prophecy includes, from Voldemort.

Last edited by LxBlck; July 20th, 2006 at 10:51 am.
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:50 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelEffect
Indeed he has no love for anyone, killing, destroying, humiliating and torturing his followers, but there is one thing he really cares about: his horcruxes (he was furious when he learnt that the diary had been destroyed).
Indeed. But losing his magical powers also would be devastating to him. I wish it would happen

Quote:
In the end this means that he loves himself (surprise).
Uhm... Does he love himself? I'd say no. He's proud of his achievements, he considers himself great but he doesn't love. I think when he hadn't been so snakelike yet, he was a bit confused because of his parentage: on the one hand he was proud of his pureblood mother coming from the ancient family, the Gaunts, on the other hand he was disappointed that she fell in love with a Muggle and little Tom wasn't important enough for her to live.

Check out my fanfiction about Lily, Snape and the Marauders here
It was written shortly after HBP and there are lots of events predicted!
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:37 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro
Indeed. But losing his magical powers also would be devastating to him. I wish it would happen
I also wish that. When he loses his magical powers we will call him Lord Mugglemort

Old July 20th, 2006, 3:22 pm
Sixth Year

Lord Mugglemort sounds perfect for me!

Check out my fanfiction about Lily, Snape and the Marauders here
It was written shortly after HBP and there are lots of events predicted!
Old July 20th, 2006, 3:59 pm
First Year

When I first read Dumbledore's words in OotP, "We both know that there are other ways of destroying a man, Tom"..."Indeed, your failure to understand that there are things much worse than death has always been your greatest weakness - " they immediately made me think of Molly and the boggart. In Tom Riddle's entire life, he never allowed himself to love anyone. I've always thought that was his greatest weakness. To love and suffer the loss of the person you love, to some people, is a fate worse than death. JKR said something like that in an interview - her boggart would be like Molly's, seeing her children dead.
Since Voldemort never loved anything except Power and Magic, I'd have to agree with everyone else about complete loss of his magic being bad for Voldemort. But it would need to include his 'followers' turning their backs on him and everything he stood for when they find out his background. He's been without a body before and didn't give up his high and mighty views on pure blood; I think something should happen to him that convinces him forever that he will never again have any followers, he'll never have any power over anything, no respect from anyone, etc. Maybe that would finally break him.

Old July 20th, 2006, 4:16 pm
Second Year

ok well Voldemort will not receive the kiss because the Dementors are on his side. But for him to live in the muggle world or the magical world powerless I really doubt that will happen. Plus his soul is torn into seven pieces. He is already like half dead anyway. I predict death at the end of book 7

Great Image by ID824
Old July 20th, 2006, 6:15 pm
Fifth Year

For other wizards there may be things worse than death like a dementor's kiss. But I think Voldemort has been shown to fear nothing but his own death which is why he made 7 horcruxes. He has already tampered with his soul so I don't think a dementor's kiss would be very effective.

Old July 21st, 2006, 2:16 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxBlck
I also wish that. When he loses his magical powers we will call him Lord Mugglemort
ha! that's perfect. I think that losing his powers would be quite devasting for him, again. but no matter how much he is "muggle-like" or barely alive, I still think that L.V. would want to be alive...in the hope that one day, (again) he could rise to power. (in some delirious (sp?) way)

Old July 21st, 2006, 2:36 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:

In the end this means that he loves himself (surprise). He has a very high opinion of himself since childhood (in the orphanage he already felt that he was "special"), and perhaps overestimates his abilities which might be the key to his downfall. He has already admitted that he neglected the protection given to Harry by his mother that caused him to become Vapormort; the next mistake might be fatal.
I think he cares about his horcruxes, because he cares about himself. If his horcruxes are gone, he can be gone, and for him that makes him mortal, and knowing he was mortal would petrify Voldemort.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

-Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken
Old July 21st, 2006, 3:13 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronlutes
Maybe they lock him in the RoR?
That wouldn't be too smart; Voldemort could get everything he needed there.

Perhaps to trap him as a ghost; able to float around but not able to do anything. Hmm..what would a ghost with a seventh of a soul look like?

Old July 21st, 2006, 3:28 am
First Year

I think Voldemort will get the dementor's kiss. Think about it: There's a lot of emphasis placed on dementors in the books, and JK makes a point of having Harry master the patronus charm. The patronus charm is fueled by happiness, and happy memories. Something that Harry has a lot of. Something that I'm willing to believe that Voldemort doesn't have. How can Voldemort drive off dementors if he can't cast a patronus? I think Harry will end up driving a pack of dementors towards Voldemort, and he won't be able to fend them off at all. Remus Lupin says the dementor's kiss is worse than death. Imagine Voldemort being eternally imortal, but just being an empty vessel, without a soul, without conscious thought. That's a fate worse than death, I think. To just exist.

Old July 21st, 2006, 3:56 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungfh
I think Voldemort will get the dementor's kiss. Think about it: There's a lot of emphasis placed on dementors in the books, and JK makes a point of having Harry master the patronus charm. The patronus charm is fueled by happiness, and happy memories. Something that Harry has a lot of. Something that I'm willing to believe that Voldemort doesn't have. How can Voldemort drive off dementors if he can't cast a patronus? I think Harry will end up driving a pack of dementors towards Voldemort, and he won't be able to fend them off at all. Remus Lupin says the dementor's kiss is worse than death. Imagine Voldemort being eternally imortal, but just being an empty vessel, without a soul, without conscious thought. That's a fate worse than death, I think. To just exist.
Remember, though, that Sirius got past the Dementors at Azkaban because he didn't have any happiness to take away? {correct me if I'm wrong}. Anyway, the thing that Voldemort fears most is death. So, for him, I think that death would be the most fitting end. It also wouldn't leave room for question [or sequels] at the end of the series. J.K. has repeatedly expressed that the story will be finished with the end of the 7th book. I don't think she would leave something open like that, considering the number of times Voldemort was thought to be finished with in the past, yet found a way to elude the Reaper.

mmmm....beefy cheesecake....
Old July 21st, 2006, 4:12 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextMissRowling
Remember, though, that Sirius got past the Dementors at Azkaban because he didn't have any happiness to take away? {correct me if I'm wrong}. Anyway, the thing that Voldemort fears most is death. So, for him, I think that death would be the most fitting end. It also wouldn't leave room for question [or sequels] at the end of the series. J.K. has repeatedly expressed that the story will be finished with the end of the 7th book. I don't think she would leave something open like that, considering the number of times Voldemort was thought to be finished with in the past, yet found a way to elude the Reaper.
I agree with you, Voldemort definately won't be permitted to elude the Reaper in HP7. As a reinforcement for this argument, a Voldemort without magical powers or wizard/witch followers, but still alive has the potential to wreak havoc on the muggle world anyway (insert dictator's name here ____________)

Old July 21st, 2006, 4:17 am
Second Year

I think that for Voldemort losing his powers, or his memory, would be worse than death. He is so very proud that if he lost all his knowledge, or all his powers, I think he'd just die. Hehe. Maybe commit suicide.

Old July 21st, 2006, 6:03 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waste_Of_A_Bomb
I think that for Voldemort losing his powers, or his memory, would be worse than death. He is so very proud that if he lost all his knowledge, or all his powers, I think he'd just die. Hehe. Maybe commit suicide.
Yes, I've thought that complete and permanent loss of power would likely give voldemort/riddle thoughts of suicide. But I suspect that his fear of death would prevent it. I really wonder if splitting his soul so many ways hasn't made his grip on magical power fragile in some way.

I love the Lord Mugglemort appelation! When Dumbledore tells Voldemort that there are things much worse than death, I don't think he's referring to dementors. That's too obvious, he's says that Tom's failure to understand this is his greatest weakness. I don't think Tom (I like that Dumbledore used that name) would know about dementors. It's also intriguing that Dumbledore uses the plural (things) - not just one thing worse than death.

Old July 21st, 2006, 6:24 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextMissRowling
Remember, though, that Sirius got past the Dementors at Azkaban because he didn't have any happiness to take away? {correct me if I'm wrong}.
Sirius got by the dementors because he turned into a dog, and the dementors couldn't read any emotion from him (as a dog) and dementors are blind so they paid no attention. When they came with a food tray, Sirius slipped out.

....I miss David Tennant....

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies