Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Little Questions Answered v.21

Old October 6th, 2012, 5:48 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Little Questions Answered v.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieAngel
As to the Cattermoles, I think that an of-age witch/wizard can be side-alonged the same as an underage person, wand or no--I'm fairly sure we've seen that happen somewhere in some of the what the Trio did in DH? So I don't think that would be a problem.
I don't think we saw any instance of apparating without wands on their person. There has been extensive discussion on other threads about why Lily didn't just apparate out with Harry, or James save himself that way from Voldemort. But neither of them had their wands with them. And there was much discussion about whether they could apparate out without leaving Harry behind because he didn't have a wand, and of course neither Lily nor James would be inclined to leave without the other or Harry. Perhaps there is just something about the process of apparating that requires a wand. It's like JK Rowling's answer to the question whether a muggle could make a potion if they had all the right ingredients, and she said that at some point wand use comes into the equation, so it wouldn't be possible.

....I miss David Tennant....
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2012, 6:04 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Well, yes, very pompous and rule abiding, but wouldn't taking points work just as well? Or can't Prefects take away points?
I think prefects can take points away - doesn't that crop up in OotP? Perhaps Percy didn't want to dock points from his own house?

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old October 6th, 2012, 6:14 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I think prefects can take points away - doesn't that crop up in OotP? Perhaps Percy didn't want to dock points from his own house?
Didn't Hermione say to Malfoy that prefects couldn't, and then he says he's part of the Inquistorial Squad? Or did I misunderstand that?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old October 6th, 2012, 6:45 am
Second Year

I'm currently read GoF, again, and the chapter "The Portkey" and I have a question about portkeys. It says that portkeys can only be used at a pre-designated time and, judging from how we are told that the boot used to transport the guys to the world cup, is discarded as a "used" portkey, how is it that Crouch is able to turn the Tri-Wizard cup into a portkey that can not only be used at any time, but allows Harry to return to Hogwarts?

Would it just be a slight adjustment in the charm placed on the object?

Old October 6th, 2012, 8:20 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
Didn't Hermione say to Malfoy that prefects couldn't, and then he says he's part of the Inquistorial Squad? Or did I misunderstand that?
I think it was Ron who said the prefects couldn't take points from each other, but I'm not sure whether he was right.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old October 7th, 2012, 9:52 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_Holeyness View Post
I'm currently read GoF, again, and the chapter "The Portkey" and I have a question about portkeys. It says that portkeys can only be used at a pre-designated time and, judging from how we are told that the boot used to transport the guys to the world cup, is discarded as a "used" portkey, how is it that Crouch is able to turn the Tri-Wizard cup into a portkey that can not only be used at any time, but allows Harry to return to Hogwarts?

Would it just be a slight adjustment in the charm placed on the object?
To me, "They're objects that are used to transport wizards from one spot to another at a prearranged time" is quite a different statement than "They're objects that can only be used... at a prearranged time.

So yes, they are probably most typically used in this fashion, but over the course of the series, we see overwhelming evidence that this is not always the case.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:18 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I don't think we saw any instance of apparating without wands on their person. There has been extensive discussion on other threads about why Lily didn't just apparate out with Harry, or James save himself that way from Voldemort. But neither of them had their wands with them. And there was much discussion about whether they could apparate out without leaving Harry behind because he didn't have a wand, and of course neither Lily nor James would be inclined to leave without the other or Harry. Perhaps there is just something about the process of apparating that requires a wand. It's like JK Rowling's answer to the question whether a muggle could make a potion if they had all the right ingredients, and she said that at some point wand use comes into the equation, so it wouldn't be possible.
I think that Side-Along apparation is intended for Apparating minors, or others who are unable to Apparate themselves. As minors may not always have a wand, I think that Side-Along apparation requires only the person doing the apparation - focusing on the three Ds, etc, to have a wand. Otherwise, it takes from the whole advantage of Side-Along apparation. I think the whole point of SIde-ALong apparation is that one person is doing all doing all the work -all the "Destination, Determination, Deliberation", all of the magic, and the other person is just a passenger.

Lily couldn't apparate with Harry because she didn't have her wand. Or perhaps because there were anti-apparation Charms on the house. Although, one would think that anti-apparation charms would only be needed to keep people out. Leaving the outward-bound apparation as a possibility would be a good idea. Unless anti-apparation charms block apparation in both directions.

Another factor is people abducted by Death Eaters, like Ollivander and Luna. The easiest way to transport them to Malfoy Manor would have been apparation. Would they really allow captives to keep their wand during apparation? The captive could try to apparate away - leading to trouble for the DE, or maybe an uncomfortable Splinching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
I think it was Ron who said the prefects couldn't take points from each other, but I'm not sure whether he was right.
I'm not sure whether it was Ron or Hermione who said it to Malfoy. However, I do seem to remember Malfoy saying something like "Prefects can't, but members of the Inquisitorial Squad can."

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
To me, "They're objects that are used to transport wizards from one spot to another at a prearranged time" is quite a different statement than "They're objects that can only be used... at a prearranged time.

So yes, they are probably most typically used in this fashion, but over the course of the series, we see overwhelming evidence that this is not always the case.
The Portkey to and from the graveyard in GoF confirms that Portkeys can also be touch-activated.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:41 am
Suteki da ne

Did Lily know that James was an Animagus? I think she probably did, but I don't remember it ever being mentioned

If you change your mind
Old October 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
Did Lily know that James was an Animagus? I think she probably did, but I don't remember it ever being mentioned
It was never mentioned, but I'd like to think the best of their marriage and say there were no secrets kept between them.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old October 7th, 2012, 8:22 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
It was never mentioned, but I'd like to think the best of their marriage and say there were no secrets kept between them.
One hopes so, but she had an opportunity to make a humorous reference in her letter to Sirius and didn't.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old October 7th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Second Year

Certainly Lily knew that. Her Patronus is a doe because James is her happy thought and James’s animagus form is a stag. So I think she know, otherwise her patronus could have another form.

Old October 7th, 2012, 9:54 pm
Suteki da ne

But Harry's Patronus was a stag before he'd even worked out that James's animagus form was a stag- he worked out that James was a stag because of the form his Patronus took. And others spotted the "unusual" form his incomplete patronus took before he even knew that James was an animagus.

Also, Lily and Snape shared a Patronus, but we don't know if they ever saw each other cast a Patronus...at least as far as I remember, although Snape proves to Dumbledore that he has the same Patronus as her...

Hang on, I'm confusing myself now

If you change your mind

Last edited by Schlubalybub; October 7th, 2012 at 10:59 pm.
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:01 pm
Second Year

Quote:
But Harry's Patronus was a stag before he'd even worked out that James's animagus form was a stag- he worked out that James was a stag because of the form his Patronus took. And other's spotted the "unusual" form his incomplete patronus took before he even knew that James was an animagus.
I don’t know. Perhaps this is an error /inconsistency of the books. However, I'm sure James has revealed to Lily to be an animagus.

Old October 7th, 2012, 10:01 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I'm not sure whether it was Ron or Hermione who said it to Malfoy. However, I do seem to remember Malfoy saying something like "Prefects can't, but members of the Inquisitorial Squad can."
I remembered why I thought prefects could take points off - in CoS Percy takes 5 points from Gryffindor when he catches Ron coming out of Myrtle's bathroom. (CoS ch 9)

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:08 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verena View Post
I don’t know. Perhaps this is an error /inconsistency of the books. However, I'm sure James has revealed to Lily to be an animagus.
Animagus and patronus are both visual representations of your personality, so I think JKR was trying to show how well matched Lily and James were by their doe and stag. I don't think Snape consciously formed his doe, but since his feelings for Lily shaped how he lived his life, it only makes sense that his patronus would match hers to a point. However, while they were both does, that doesn't mean they were identical does.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:35 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
But Harry's Patronus was a stag before he'd even worked out that James's animagus form was a stag- he worked out that James was a stag because of the form his Patronus took. And other's spotted the "unusual" form his incomplete patronus took before he even knew that James was an animagus.

Also, Lily and Snape shared a Patronus, but we don't know if they ever saw each other cast a Patronus...at least as far as I remember, although Snape proves to Dumbledore that he has the same Patronus as her...

Hang on, I'm confusing myself now
I think Snape cast his patronus for Dumbledore to show he still loved Lily 'after all these years' [-eta- not to prove he had the same patronus as Lily].

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

Last edited by snapes_witch; October 8th, 2012 at 12:08 am.
Old October 8th, 2012, 5:00 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I think that Side-Along apparation is intended for Apparating minors, or others who are unable to Apparate themselves. As minors may not always have a wand, I think that Side-Along apparation requires only the person doing the apparation - focusing on the three Ds, etc, to have a wand. Otherwise, it takes from the whole advantage of Side-Along apparation. I think the whole point of SIde-ALong apparation is that one person is doing all doing all the work -all the "Destination, Determination, Deliberation", all of the magic, and the other person is just a passenger.

Lily couldn't apparate with Harry because she didn't have her wand. Or perhaps because there were anti-apparation Charms on the house. Although, one would think that anti-apparation charms would only be needed to keep people out. Leaving the outward-bound apparation as a possibility would be a good idea. Unless anti-apparation charms block apparation in both directions.

Another factor is people abducted by Death Eaters, like Ollivander and Luna. The easiest way to transport them to Malfoy Manor would have been apparation. Would they really allow captives to keep their wand during apparation? The captive could try to apparate away - leading to trouble for the DE, or maybe an uncomfortable Splinching.

The Portkey to and from the graveyard in GoF confirms that Portkeys can also be touch-activated.

not near a book,but did the maze close up on them like it did in the movie? if so the portkey actually could have been a "timed"portkey instead of a touch one,assuming someone would actually get there on the right trail?

Old October 8th, 2012, 7:59 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
One hopes so, but she had an opportunity to make a humorous reference in her letter to Sirius and didn't.
Like Draco Malfoy did on the train? Lily would have had more sense than to say anything obvious about the animagus secret in a letter. It could be intercepted or stolen, and the Marauders would be safer without DEs knowing their secret. In any case, nothing less than something blunt as "Harry loves seeing you transform into a dog" would settle the debate in some areas.

However, Lily knew the Marauder nicknames, and used them in her letter. IMO, she would want to know the source of these nicknames. And, when she had the trust of the Marauders, I feel sure James would have left her in on the secret - or the part he had a right to tell, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpb70 View Post
[/b]
not near a book,but did the maze close up on them like it did in the movie? if so the portkey actually could have been a "timed"portkey instead of a touch one,assuming someone would actually get there on the right trail?

That didn't happen in the book. In the book, the Champions had to face obstacles, which were excluded in the movie, and the maze itself didn't close in or move. There was no way at all to tell when exactly someone would get to the centre, and Voldemort would not be best pleased if an unaccompanied portkey showed up in the graveyard thanks to guesswork instead of a touch-activated portkey.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old October 8th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Second Year

On the subject of apparation without a wand, side-along, that is. I see two instances, both in DH where it happened and where it can be assumed it happened. When Harry and Hermione are in Bathilda's house in "Bathilda's Secret", Hermione had cast Confringo and the spell went everywhere, including breaking Harry's wand...they then apparated in mid-air. Harry may have been holding the wand, but it was busted.

The second instance was from "The Muggle-Borm Registration Commission." After Harry released the muggle-borns -

Quote:
"Harry, if we're trapped here.."

"We won't be if we move fast," said Harry. He addressed the silent group behind them, who were all gawping at him.

"Who's got wands?"

About half of them raised their hands.

"Okay, all of you who haven't got wands need to attach yourself to somebody who has. We'll need to be fast before they stop us. Come on."
So, he tells them get with someone who has a wand. Partly for protection of course, but after they got out by the fireplaces...Im 99.9% sure that they all helped each other apparate away from the Ministry, side-along style.

Well, as far as Lily knowing about James being an animagi. Just the fact they were married should be enough that he would tell her. And mentioned above, she did know their nicknames. I'd think she'd wonder why they called James "Prongs" and ask him.

But going a little into theory using canon as my guide. Just in seeing how useful being an animagus was for Sirius in Azkaban, Peter to go into hiding, Minerva to spy on the Dursleys, Rita being nosy and, well, Lupin, the werewolf could go spy amongst the other wolves...I would count myself at 99.9% that James would have somehow used his ability to help the Order. Maybe change into a stag and go spy on death-eaters in a forest or something. That was just to say, I'm sure the First Members of the Order, including Lily, would know about him.

Old October 9th, 2012, 12:17 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I remembered why I thought prefects could take points off - in CoS Percy takes 5 points from Gryffindor when he catches Ron coming out of Myrtle's bathroom. (CoS ch 9)
Though I wonder whether Percy was Head Boy at that time? Perhaps Prefects can't take points, but the Head Boy/Girl can.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone