Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Computers

Mac or PC

Old September 30th, 2007, 4:47 am
First Year

Mac or PC

which computer would you prefer??in terms of fun and stuff.So which is better??mac or pc??

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2007, 5:21 am
Fifth Year

Re: mac or pc

Well, I've only ever used a PC, so I don't have much to compare to. But Macs do seem like good computers for music, videos, and pictures.

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.
Old September 30th, 2007, 5:39 am
Deslumbrante

I can't stand Macs. I think they can sense me coming and breakdown at my touch. I have yet to meet a Mac that I like.

I looove my Dell laptop, though!

Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.
Old September 30th, 2007, 7:06 am
Registered Animagus

Macs drive me crazy but I really want to get one so I can use various video/film editing programs which dont work on PCs.

Old September 30th, 2007, 9:31 am
Third Year

It really depends what you want to do with one. If you are looking for a computer on which to game, a PC is the way forward because there are a lot of games not compatible with Macs. Although the ones that are compatible should run superbly on a Mac (at least if it is a new one).

For basic things like word processing and such like either will do. You can get 'Microsoft for Mac' or Apple's own version. You'd probably be best investing in the Microsoft product since the vast majority (although slowly declining) of offices use PCs. A good example of when it is handy to have a program that works on both PCs and Macs: doing essays for uni. If you use Apple software at my uni you will not be able to do any work on your essay unless you have access to one of the departments which use Macs.

If you are wanting something for dealing with images, videos, music and whatnot, Macs have been reviewed as being more user-friendly and getting the best results. It also helps that most of the software you need is built in and so will need to get fewer programs than with a PC. Of course it does depend on what sort of quality you're looking for. Professionals more often than not use Macs, but if you are an amateur either computer will do.

Oh, Macs are also less susceptible to viruses and such like.

Really, PCs have their good and bad points as do Macs. If you are used to using a PC then a Mac might confuse you at first (best example being there is only one button on the mouse). You'd need to try out both platforms to see which one suits you best. Or get one of each like me.

Old September 30th, 2007, 1:45 pm
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

Macs, always macs!

A (very) long time ago when people were just starting to use computers for magazine and book design in the UK, macs were what we used. Nothing else could compare - and yes - I really do go back that far! I had the best of the lot, a tiny black and white classic. They were expensive, but could do so much more than the equivalent in pc's. Well there wasn't an equivalent really.

So I've stuck with macs ever since, upgrading as often as I could afford it! And they're still brilliant.

Old September 30th, 2007, 2:19 pm
Sixth Year

PC's, but my school just replaced their old pc's with the new iMac's and i do like the music and video capabilities. But i do prefer pc's.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old September 30th, 2007, 2:53 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I have both. My motto is why whore one Operating system when you can whore them all! *uses XP/Vista/OSX Tiger/Linux distro's*

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old September 30th, 2007, 3:51 pm
First Year

I use both Mac and PC but there have been many times when my PC crashed and left me hanging. I've never had any issues with Mac, no crashes no system overloads, etc.

Mac it is

Old September 30th, 2007, 3:57 pm
First Year

Macs for me. Me and pc's don't like one another, I've had keyboard locks at the first three letters of my name. Mail Merge won't print for me. And I've had numerous mouse locks when I touch the mouse...

So Macs, as I tend to work more than play, and macs are great for that.

Proud member of the Insane Beki Posse!Club Nick!And Captain of the S.S Switzerland Cookie and the Cookie Monster! Read Always Remember What You Can't Forget and A Mild Shade of Perfection by beki14 to understand!(also read the feedback, I wish you good fortune finding what you are looking for...)

Please feel free to read my fanfic A Werewolf's First Love (A Marauders Tale) and leave feedback here!
See my homepage!
The Time Turner a great RP site. Please make sure that if you want to be a canon character that you check it isn't already taken thank you!
Old September 30th, 2007, 4:15 pm
First Year

My old Commodore 128 (which you could convert to 64 mode) with a dot matrix printer and a joystick.

hahaha

of course I'm just kidding. I use a PC but I'm really not particular. As long as I can check my email and use Word it really doesn't matter to me.

Old September 30th, 2007, 4:26 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger1 View Post
Macs, always macs!

A (very) long time ago when people were just starting to use computers for magazine and book design in the UK, macs were what we used. Nothing else could compare - and yes - I really do go back that far! I had the best of the lot, a tiny black and white classic. They were expensive, but could do so much more than the equivalent in pc's. Well there wasn't an equivalent really.

So I've stuck with macs ever since, upgrading as often as I could afford it! And they're still brilliant.
We're leading parallel lives. I worked at a newspaper when I first started out in graphic design and you simply could not do it without a mac. I've stuck to macs ever since and I've never been sorry.
I think it has a lot to do with what you learn on. I read the post where someone said macs hate him/her. That's how I feel about PCs. I can use them if I have to, but it's so frustrating to me.
I know macs are initially more expensive, but you don't have to pay for as many upgrades, so much software is built in and you don't really have to worry about viruses. If you want to do anything with design, macs are most definitely the way to go. I don't know about all the extra fun stuff. I've heard that PCs have something like widgets now, and I know you can use itunes on PCs.
Overall, I'm a mac girl through and through.

Old September 30th, 2007, 5:00 pm
Third Year

Well, I myself like PC's because I can do a lot more with them then I can with a Mac. Mac's are really good computers too, but I don't think their as fun.

Old September 30th, 2007, 5:45 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Mac or PC

I've been using a PC since Windows 95, now I'm using Vista Home Premium. I have an old iBook with Panther installed (OS X 10.3) and I do think it's quite good but as with most people I find that because the PC has dominated the market for so long it's just too hard to get used to a totally different OS!

In terms of hardware the past lack of decent specifications on Mac based machines, even only up to 2 years ago, has been a problem for anyone wanting to play almost any type of game. Things are looking a bit better with the Intel chips in Macs now but I still think we're a long way off a Mac being able to rival a PC from a gaming point of view. There's also the compatibility, very few publishers release games or software to be universally compatible.

Tiiiiiime tooo, saaay gooooooodbyeee!
Old September 30th, 2007, 9:50 pm
Seventh Year

I used a Mac for the first time a few weeks ago and although it is quite different, I think I could get used to it. For the time being, I think I'll stick with my PC though.

Old September 30th, 2007, 10:01 pm
Fifth Year

Macs are only less susceptible to viruses because less people use them so it's more effective to program viruses for PC.

The new Apple systems are really pretty, but I still prefer PC. The video editing programs for Mac are better, but I don't even use most of the extra features. I was raised with a PC though, so that's probably why I find Macs so annoying. It's so aggravating to be trying to "right click" and it turns out there's only one button on the Apple mouse Maybe I just haven't spent enough time with my Mac, but I find it infernally difficult to do anything but execute programs

Old September 30th, 2007, 10:13 pm
First Year

You can get another mouse with two clicks to right click, or just Control + mouse click.

Proud member of the Insane Beki Posse!Club Nick!And Captain of the S.S Switzerland Cookie and the Cookie Monster! Read Always Remember What You Can't Forget and A Mild Shade of Perfection by beki14 to understand!(also read the feedback, I wish you good fortune finding what you are looking for...)

Please feel free to read my fanfic A Werewolf's First Love (A Marauders Tale) and leave feedback here!
See my homepage!
The Time Turner a great RP site. Please make sure that if you want to be a canon character that you check it isn't already taken thank you!
Old October 1st, 2007, 3:27 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Hmm... I would love to have a Mac, but they're just too expensive . But for the most part, I've used PC's most of my life, so I'm more used to them anyways, and they're useful for the most part -- for what I use them for.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:54 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray243 View Post
which computer would you prefer??in terms of fun and stuff.So which is better??mac or pc??
Well, if you're going to judge it by "fun and stuff", then it would be PC I guess.

Personally though, I've always been a Mac user, because almost all my family uses them, and it's what I've grown up with. I love the interface, easy to use, convenient... I swear I'm lost whenever I have to do something semi-complicated on a PC...
Sure, some time ago there were problems of compatibility between Macs and PCs, but now Intel Macs can run both systems at the same time, so...

If you're into gaming, Macs can be sort of a letdown, but seriously... just buy a freakin game console then. As far as I'm concerned, the only computer game I'm playing at the moment is World of Warcraft, and it runs perfectly on Mac.

"Remember the part where you weren't talking ? Let's do that again."

À consommer avec modération.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 1:58 am
First Year

I've only really ever owned PCs, and I do like Vista... but I would LOVE a Mac. A lot of people I know are converting now... I like doing photo/video stuff, the only computer game I play is The Sims which is available on Macs and am a little paranoid about viruses, so it looks like it would be a good fit for me.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Computers