Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Computers

Antivirus software

Old August 16th, 2008, 5:52 pm
First Year

Antivirus software

Hey all. I'm looking for something to replace the Norton that came on my new laptop. I was wondering if anyone was up to speed on what's the best antivirus software - free and/or paid? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2008, 5:44 am
First Year

Re: Best antivirus software?

I had McAfee on my old computer. I had no problems with it, except that the scans were sooo slow. If you wanted your computer to run well while scanning, you'd be out of luck. I would start the scan at night before I fell asleep.

I currently have Trend Micro Internet Security with Windows Vista. I haven't had the computer long enough to make a judgement on it.

The True Heir of Salazar Slytherin

"Something, Something, Something... Dark side..."
Old August 17th, 2008, 7:30 am
First Year

Well I've had several anti virus programs, but one I stick to is AVG free.
Which is good, but the scans can take a while : (

Old August 17th, 2008, 8:08 am
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

I use Kaspersky - it's not free but it updates several times a day and since installing it have had no problems (though it's a bit of a pain when you run a new program because it assumes everything is a threat unless you tell it otherwise)

Old August 23rd, 2008, 1:13 pm
Knower of things

I used the free AVG before buying my own laptop and I upgraded to one of the AVG paid options, I'm very happy with it, it checks for updates frequently and everything is scheduled. The GUI is well laid out and it's generally easy to use.

I'd definitely recommend.

Old August 24th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Another vote for Kaspersky.
It's a good all round security package (if you get the internet security version). And best of all it has a very low system memory load.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old August 28th, 2008, 1:32 pm
Fifth Year

I've used the free AVG for a long time, but the latest version (8) works OK on some computers and not so well on others. On one of my computers it's OK, but on the other scans were taking 6 or more hours to complete. On the latter computer I've switched to Avast, which at the moment has a better reputation than AVG (or so people who know about such things have told me), although I think it's not as user friendly. I've heard Avira is good too, but haven't tried it. Both Avast and Avira have free home editions.

The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering.

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.

Arthur C. Clarke (1917–2008)
Old September 13th, 2008, 2:09 pm
Third Year

I used AVG, Spybot Search & Distroy and Ad Aware for many years, before my Internet service provider changed their package slightly and began offering their own free internet secruity.

I don't know if it works in the same way outside of the UK, but in the UK at lot of service providers offer customers free Internet security. I think with BT and Sky it's McAfee.
Virgin Media (who I'm with) have their own custom made one, and I find it excellent.

So yeah, AVG, Spybot Search & Distroy and Ad Aware are good as free secirity, but it might be worth checking to see if your service provider offers anything.

Please check out my new fanfic - Regrets and feedback.

Come Join Obliviate Forums

~* Proud Slytherin *~

Old January 19th, 2009, 6:30 pm
First Year

Avast! is good. It has a lot of features, scans webpages before you go on them, and scans downloads as it is downloading and if it finds a virus it will abort the download and warn you that a virus was found.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 1:49 am
Fourth Year

I use McAfee, mostly because it comes free with my internet service. It works well, and asks before it lets any program access the internet (that may annoy some people, but I prefer having control). The only virus I know of that it couldn't handle on its own was a Vundo trojan a couple of weeks ago, but those can be a pain to get rid of so I don't blame McAfee.

Old March 17th, 2009, 9:40 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

I use F-Secure Internet Security. It's not cheap, but it protects.

Old July 17th, 2009, 2:11 am
First Year

All,

Contrary to the topic title, there is no "Best" software. It all comes down to personal preference. This is a write-up I authored for PCHelpForum.com. I am the Security Team Leader there.

I have personally used the following lineup for 4 years now without infection.

Malwarebytes:

Download From Here: http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes...-10804572.html

This is pretty much a malware remover's "bread and butter". Its scanning engine is such that it targets all the types of nasties I have noted above. One drawback is it does not have a realtime protection component with the free version. But, nonetheless is a VERY powerful program.

AVG 8:

Download from here: http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Vir...html?tag=mncol

This is an amazing Anti Virus program. It picks up almost all infections that are out there today, provided you have updated definitions. One advantage to this program that the others do not have is a realtime firewall. It runs in the background preventing you from getting infected in the first place.

Ad-Aware:

Download from here: http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-Ann...html?tag=mncol

This is a must for any computer in my opinion. It targets a specific type of virus called Adware. These nasty infections can be used to steal your information, redirect your browser, and install things on your computer, among other things. Usually, infections of this type launch ads all over making browsing extremely difficult. Like the above program it should be set to run weekly and updated often.

Spybot S&D:

Download from here: http://www.download.com/Spybot-Searc...html?tag=mncol

Again, another amazing program. This program targets a specific type of virus called Spyware but I've seen it pick up all sorts of nasties. Like AVG it has the added advantage of a realtime protection firewall. One disadvantage to this program i've found is it takes up a lot of system resources and can slow your computer if the realtime firewall is enabled. You can easily fix this by disabling it however.

Online Scanners:

I have found also there are several online scanners which pick up infections none of these programs pick up on.

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...ns/activescan/

and

http://www.virustotal.com/

VirusTotal allows you to upload a file you expect is infected and it will show you the results.

Firewalls:

Another major component to any protection schema that most people overlook is a Firewall. You can't do anything proactively with a firewall per se. But, having one running will allow you to control all inbound and outbound traffic. So, you can effectively police anything coming in to your computer, while policing how your computer "talks to" the outside world.

For some more information you may wish to peruse our Firewalls FAQ written by Senior PC Security Analyst Chiaz

Some Freeware options for firewall protection include:

Zone Alarm's Free Firewall:
http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-firewall.htm

Outpost's Firewall Free:
http://free.agnitum.com/

These aren't the only options you have. Just as long as you have a nice mix to combat Spyware, Adware, Viruses, Malware, Trojans, and Rootkits, and a firewall to police traffic, you'll be fine

One added advantage to ALL these programs is they're all free! In my humble opinion a subscription to anti-virus is going out the window and will soon be phased out by these freeware applications. However, there are indeed proprietary versions of software mentioned above out there inn addition to the "Big Three" Norton, Macafee, and Kaspersky

As I said above, I have yet to get really virused in 4 years. I run a few more programs than this but this is really all you need. I'm a little paranoid

One other utility I have found to be very useful is GRC's Shields Up!. If you navigate to the following link:https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

You can perform several different tests to determine the stealthiness of your computer on the internet, vulnerability of open ports, among many other things.

It will allow you to correct any issues it finds, and make your computer more secure.

Lastly, I've found the browser which comes with Windows (Internet Explorer) is very vulnerable to being hacked and there are holes hackers can use to infect you.

If you aren't already I strongly urge you to download Firefox 3 from this link: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

In my opinion is the safest, most secure browser out right now. It still takes you to the same internet, like I said, just with added security.

It will allow you to import anything like bookmarks, passwords, saved sites, etc. when you install so you won't lose anything from Internet Explorer.

It also has a user friendly interface for clearing your Private Data (saved passwords, cookies, things you enter into search bars, websites you've visited) which can be used by hackers or viruses to redirect your browser to sites which look legitimate, however, are sites which steal personal information. Based on what you search for hackers will put something you are likely to trust.

If you would like some more in depth help customizing Firefox to be the most secure it can be let me know and I'd be glad to help.

Finally, one last piece of advice, watch where you go on the internet. It's as simple as that. Running these programs will be a great help in safeguarding you from the whackos out there who try and do this nasty stuff to us.

I am confident that if you follow these measures you will never have a major infection again

Old November 3rd, 2009, 6:45 pm
Fourth Year

Well I used free AVG for a long time and recently I've upgraded it with the paied version. I'm quite happy with it, so I will keep it despite some friend's pressure for me to use Avast.

Old November 5th, 2009, 4:45 pm
Member of the Order

Currently using Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, as welll as SuperAntiSpyware.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old November 23rd, 2009, 8:47 am
Sixth Year

I got Norton, and I usually install Malware, because it rocks.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old January 20th, 2010, 7:19 am
First Year

Do u really satisfied with Norton ?
I had use Norton before few months, it consume
lots of ram size to run it and it break another
software performance. I didn't enjoyed it..

Old January 26th, 2010, 1:03 am
First Year

Re: Antivirus software

I use ESET NOD32 antivirus. Love it. The best ive ever used. Works fantastic and runs fast without slowing the computer down like other programs ive tried.

Old February 6th, 2010, 3:29 pm
Sixth Year

Frankly, I've never had a good experience with any anti-virus. They don't catch everything. I know my way around the internet so I generally don't use it. If by any chance I think a virus is there, I boot into linux and remove manually remove it from my windows partition. Ad-aware and Spybot are pretty good though for removing malware.

Old March 14th, 2010, 5:46 am
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

Most programs are good for a certain group or type of infections, but not all types of infections. I think that everyone needs an anti-virus software, but I also think that they need an anti-malware/anti-spyware program, preferably different brands. Like all in one machines, you put too many tools into one box and you start loosing effectiveness of the tools.

As far as anti-virus goes, I like the free and the paid versions of AVG. I have also used Avast and think it is comparable to AVG. I don't like software brands such as Norton and McAfee as their programs have grown larger than the effectiveness of tools they provide. I think keeping it as simple as possible is the best solution. As AVG has a resident shied that scans files in the background, I turn off the scheduled scan. I don't think the scheduled scans find anything that the resident shields won't find, and they just eat up memory.

As far Anti-Malware/Anti-Spyware, I go with Ad-aware and Spybot, although I don't run the Tea-Timer module of Spybot. Malwarebytes is a good program too. I try to run scans once a week, but I feel the background scanners work just fine.

I am also not a fan of software firewalls. I think they are useful if one is connecting to networks that one is unfamiliar with, but I think they are otherwise redundant as most networks are behind a hardware firewall. Software firewalls just eat up memory and cause more harm than good. Hardware firewalls are much more effective than software firewalls as a general rule, and do more than enough to protect the user.

Peeves wuz here!

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old June 16th, 2010, 2:15 pm
First Year

well i use Norton and its really good has never let me down and tells me when it needs to update if i were u id get Norton its really good and easy to use!!!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Computers