Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Computers

Mac or PC

Old August 18th, 2009, 7:13 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Re: Mac or PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Macs aren't immune to viruses and other forms of malware. It's just that Mac ownership is such a small part of the market that virus writers are less inclined to target them.
Ah I see. At least there's less of a chance of getting hit by those. That's in part why I plan on getting one... it's better to have less of a chance then to have more of a risk using a pc.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:26 am
First Year

they are both good for different things, but i like PC, because it's so hard to find games and stuff for mac because it's just one bran. computer game makers usually charge more for mac games. its because there is every single computer brand ever, then there's mac.

x:*.*:x_MeLiSsA_x*.*:x
“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:20 am
Zonko's Employee

Yes that is one thing better about PCs, gaming, of course there's not much mac can do about that really, although there is bootcamp so you can run windows on a mac.

I just got a wonderful new mac laptop, it's a 15 inch MacBook Pro and I'm in love

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old November 7th, 2009, 6:29 pm
Fourth Year

I prefer mac. But that is because I use it every day at school. We use mac at school because it's better at handling heavier programs that are needed for making movies, editing picture etc.

Also, my MacBook doesn't freeze as often as my Windows XP and Windows Vista.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old November 7th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Fourth Year

Pc for sure. Don't know why.

Old November 8th, 2009, 3:31 pm
Third Year

I've 'Been a PC' before the phrase 'I'm a PC' was even coined since I was about 7 years old, which, in two months, will have been for 10 years. PCs are just far easier to use for me, but what makes a Mac NOT a PC? It just looks different and has a different name slapped on it. Is the behind-the-scenes work far different?

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old November 11th, 2009, 9:29 pm
Sixth Year

I much prefer PCs- being in front of a Mac always makes me angry for some reason. I had to use them when I was at University and I hated them. I had a hideous experience with them where tons of dodgy pop ups opened onto my screen- it was awkward so I reset the machine and when I logged back in again they were still there! I've never had anything like that happen to me on a PC, although I use a pop up blocker so I don't get them anyway. Mainly it was the single button mouse and American keyboard that bothered me though.

The way I see it is that PCs can do everything a Mac can do but a Mac can't do everything a PC can do. I'm on a 5 year old desktop which is still able to run high end 3D software like Maya- the only upgrades it has had is extra RAM and Windows 7. I've never had any issues with viruses because I use anti virus software and don't stupidly open random attachments in e-mails. I've been into quite a few post-production studios here in England and everybody uses PCs- Macs just aren't powerful enough or customisable enough for a lot of professional film editing software, and I'm pretty sure that many products aren't even made for Macs. The main area they dominate is graphic design and advertising which is a throwback to 20 years ago when Macs really were much better at that kind of thing than PCs.

Macs do look very pretty though, they have definitely encouraged PC manufacturers to up their game in terms of design which can only be a good thing- computers are always expensive and no one wants to spend that kind of money on an ugly old piece of grey plastic if they can help it. There's room for them both, but I will stick with PCs for now.

Old June 6th, 2010, 5:54 pm
Sixth Year

Got my first mac 3 years ago and I will never go back. They don't have the typical aweful slow down over time - "window's rot." My computer works the same as it did out of the box.

You get what you pay for. If I can go 3-4 years before a new computer without any problems like I did with my macbook, I'll happily pay a little extra.

Old June 16th, 2010, 2:11 pm
First Year

I always had a PC. Then i got a mac. Mac is way way better then PC. It is much easier to use. My Mac never crashed, unless i was running a Microsoft program. PC is nice because you have more options to customize it, but most people don't customize their computers anyway. I would rather have a computer that just works and does what i want, without it being complicated. In my experience the mac turns on faster then the PC, i don't have to wait for windows to load. I know for a while Macs really sucked. I think that gave them a really bad name and is why so many PC users are so against them.

About the web cam, that was something that did suck, i had a nice web cam for a PC and it wasn't compatible with them mac, the Web cam with the mac isn't the best.

Old July 24th, 2010, 3:17 am
First Year

My first computer was a mac, but I then I got a PC and I fell in love.
I'm not rabidly against Mac, but I'm going to keep buying and using PC.

"We walk proud, and we talk tough.
We've got heart, and we've got nerve...even if we are a bit disturbed"
Old July 29th, 2010, 7:41 am
Sixth Year

For fun, definitely a PC. Almost every game ever made has a PC port, and hardware is easier to find, and cheaper to upgrade. There's free software available for all OSs, Linux or Windows, for anything that you'd want to do.

For work, it depends. For heavy stuff like heavy HD video editing or working with huge images (GB-sized) in photoshop, a Mac is definitely faster and the industry standard. But if your work doesn't involve that, a PC should be fine.

What I love about PCs is that you can get exactly what you want. Want a different case? You got about two gazillion models to choose from. Want some bling? Get Neon fans, UV lighting and glow-in the dark cables, and a case with a glass side window. Another great thing is the backward compatibility. I have this really old Cherry mechanical switch keyboard (1992 model) that I love for it's clickety feel and sound. I also have this 2002 vintage Eizo-Nanao CRT that I keep around because it's a 120Hz studio grade model. Both work fine with the PC that I upgraded last year.

Society for Protection of Canon Snape
Society of Nutters Obsessed with Ginny
Snape's Not Alan Rickman Club
Admitting I Could Be Wrong Club

Last edited by vivekgk; July 29th, 2010 at 7:56 am.
Old August 31st, 2010, 3:03 am
First Year

Mac is officially the best stuff on Earth. Besides Snapple.

"You foul, loathsome, evil, COCKROACH!!!" ~Hermione Granger, Prisoner of Azkaban

:indy:Abby:indy:
Very proud GRYFFINDOR!
Old August 31st, 2010, 4:13 am
Third Year

PC all the way, im so used to PC's in work and home like that I find Macs infuriating to use.

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
Old April 18th, 2011, 4:38 pm
Third Year

Proud owner of a 15'' MacBook Pro. Been a Mac user for nearly 2 years and I will never go back (cash permitting!). Everything about them seems to be built with the user in mind, nothing is confusing or convoluted, just straight forward, a button does what it says it does, it doesn't have a confusing silly name.

Plus the touch technology in the track pad is AMAZING.

Old April 25th, 2011, 10:26 pm
First Year

I had used Windows PC's for 10 years before I bought my Mac, which I've had for 2 years now. I love Mac's. It's down to your own personal taste.

Old May 9th, 2011, 5:20 am
First Year

Just bought an iMac, so far very happy with it. PC's are problematic, but they are cheaper to fix and buy software. Since 2003, I have been averaging a PC or laptop per year. I had to upgrade to Apple, an annual buy was getting old and expensive.

It has ended and I am sad...
Animus Entero
Old May 9th, 2011, 3:27 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffindood View Post
Just bought an iMac, so far very happy with it. PC's are problematic, but they are cheaper to fix and buy software. Since 2003, I have been averaging a PC or laptop per year. I had to upgrade to Apple, an annual buy was getting old and expensive.

Seriously? A PC or laptop per year?? Never heard of that before. If you don't mind me asking, what goes wrong with them? My last post in this thread was in 2009 when my PC was 5 years old, and I'm on the same PC now. So long as your computer is looked after it should go on for years and years. I love my PC and I will be gutted when it breaks beyond repair, I know it inside and out and have virus scans daily and regularly do disk cleanup, as well as opening it up from time to time to clean up its insides. The only major changes I've made to it in 7 years is new RAM, an extra HD and updated the OS with a total cost of under £100 (although I did save on Windows 7 as my uni got free copies for all of the students.)

You will probably find that you do need to upgrade your Mac too, and it can be expensive- be sure not to buy components directly from Apple as they will charge an arm and a leg. And watch out for the screen, our Macbook got hit by a stray wire flying through the air and the screen cracked- £200 to replace it! Since it is just the outer screen not the LCD screen we are making do with some Scoth tape stuck over it because £200 is ridiculous, if it had been a regular laptop it would be considerably cheaper. We also had to upgrade the RAM but it was pretty easy to do, but we saved a lot of money and didn't get it from Apple

Old May 9th, 2011, 4:34 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
You will probably find that you do need to upgrade your Mac too, and it can be expensive- be sure not to buy components directly from Apple as they will charge an arm and a leg. And watch out for the screen, our Macbook got hit by a stray wire flying through the air and the screen cracked- £200 to replace it! Since it is just the outer screen not the LCD screen we are making do with some Scoth tape stuck over it because £200 is ridiculous, if it had been a regular laptop it would be considerably cheaper. We also had to upgrade the RAM but it was pretty easy to do, but we saved a lot of money and didn't get it from Apple
This is probably a silly question but... how does one upgrade RAM??? My macbook is about 4,5 yrs old now and it's getting slow. Making it a bit faster would be nice. That way I won't have to buy a new one.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Old May 9th, 2011, 8:31 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusandme View Post
This is probably a silly question but... how does one upgrade RAM??? My macbook is about 4,5 yrs old now and it's getting slow. Making it a bit faster would be nice. That way I won't have to buy a new one.
No such thing as a silly question I think it depends on what Macbook you have- some are different from others, but it should be quite straight forwards and only take about 5 minutes. We found a guide online- there's quite a few 'how tos' and also some YouTube videos showing step by step how to do it. Here is Apple's brief guide which should help as a starter http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270 once you know what model you have you should be able to find suitable RAM, and probably a Youtube video with your exact model. Not all RAM works with Macs so be sure to get one which works, we got ours from www.play.com and it was Kingston brand, somewhere around £50 or so.

Old August 9th, 2011, 9:09 pm
First Year

I've been using a Macbook Pro about a month now, and i think it's amazing. Earlier i was using Windows but Mac is a complete different story. I really like it, if you want to switch, i say don't hesitate to do it. =)

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Computers