Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Are the movies getting better or worse?

Old August 20th, 2010, 11:17 pm
First Year

Re: Are the movies getting better or worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeHarryPotter View Post
Think about it, if the film was just like the book, would book fans really want to see it? Or like it? It wouldn't add anything to the Potter world. It would be a bland copy of the book. I'm not saying I like the cuts, but for instance I loved the additional scenes of POA and GOF.
That is exactly what I want. In my, humble, opinion, I would like the films to be as close to the books as they can be. I want them to describe the world of Harry Potter in 3D as I have imagined it when I read the books. I know it's impossible but a man can dream, eh?

On topic, I think that the movies is getting worse. Why, for example, have Yates made it so that the Death Eaters can fly? (you know when they swirl around and black smoke is following them) It's just not making any sense.

Errare humanum est, ignoscere divinum.
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:23 pm
First Year

I don't want to say worst, but in my opinion the movies are becoming a little bit different from what they should be... And this is because, since like Order of the Phoenix (or even GoF) I noticed that it's too much about the hormones, and less about magic. It becomes boring to see half the movie based on that. Not boring boring, since it's a Harry Potter film hahah I still love them all *.*

Old August 20th, 2010, 11:52 pm
Fourth Year

I think they are getting better. As for them being like/unlike the book--I think they are good films on their own, but I do think if they were more like the books I would enjoy them more. The great thing abut having movies just like the books would be that you can, in a weird way, almost believe that it is real, because if you can see these real, living people doing exactly the same things as they do in the book, it must be real.
Or maybe I'm just crazy.

"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:42 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightreading View Post
I think they are getting better. As for them being like/unlike the book--I think they are good films on their own, but I do think if they were more like the books I would enjoy them more.
I agree... HBP is my favourite of the films. everytime a new film comes out it has replaced the film before it as my favourite. I think the films are growing and evolving like the books do and I fully expect that DH1 will overtake the favourite film spot when its released.

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
Old August 21st, 2010, 3:03 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mollywobbles_ View Post
I fully expect that DH1 will overtake the favourite film spot when its released.
I think so too. It looks to me like it will be the best film of all.

"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Old August 21st, 2010, 3:56 am
Second Year

OOTP and HBP were getting worse for me but the new trailer looks so good I now have hope for Yates. I just hope they do not get side tracked with stuff that is added in or off the main plot. I also just don't like when they change little sweet things like Harry and Ginny which I feel they botched completely in HBP.

Old August 21st, 2010, 4:51 am
Third Year

I think they're getting better, even if they're straying more from the source material. I like the first two movies a lot, but I have to admit they're a bit boring because they're just too accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbieHead View Post
I don't want to say worst, but in my opinion the movies are becoming a little bit different from what they should be... And this is because, since like Order of the Phoenix (or even GoF) I noticed that it's too much about the hormones, and less about magic. It becomes boring to see half the movie based on that. Not boring boring, since it's a Harry Potter film hahah I still love them all *.*
I actually like that about them. The movies show new parts of the HP universe that the books don't mention much, or that I just never thought about - imo, the books tend to do the opposite of what TubbieHead described and they sometimes ignore the hormones in favor of the magic. I think it's refreshing, though, to see the trio and friends act as regular teenagers; it's an aspect that we don't see a lot of in the books and I think it brings the HP world to life more.

Old August 21st, 2010, 10:15 am
First Year

Worse. Definitely!

Old August 21st, 2010, 10:31 am
Banned

Yeah, they're definately getting better. I don't want carbon copies of the books - that would be useless, boring and bland. It would also be impossible.

Films are a cinematic representation of the books. Not the books on screen. I love all of the films, but the first two are easily the weakest, while Cuaron, Newell and Yates have all added their cinematic themes and styles to the story, which excels the quality of the films. Cinematography has always been brilliant on the Potter films (with exception from OOTP) along with the editing and pacing. The soundtracks have also been wonderful.

But what many people fail to realise is that time and budget constraints are an issue that is dealt with - it is extremely difficult to fit a 700 page book into a film. J.K once stated that "It is simply impossible to incorporate every one of my storylines into a film that needs to be kept under 2.30 hours."

So yes, given what the filmmakers had to work with, they have done an excellent job in fitting the main bulk of the plot in film with cinematic style. Obviously, the later books are more complex and are full of plot and subplots, so it would be hard to work with that source material. I would have thought any true fan would love the Potter films anyway, regardless of cinematic structure. It is all Harry Potter after all and that is what we are obsessed with.

Last edited by Jonny7003; August 21st, 2010 at 10:35 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies