Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Little Questions Answered v.21

Old June 25th, 2016, 4:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Little Questions Answered v.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Neither Voldemort nor Harry were in A History of Magic. After Hermione tells Harry about Godric's Hollow in DH:
DH, Ch. 16, Godric's Hollow, Page 319, US, HB"You and your parents aren't mentioned," Hermione said, closing the book," because Professor Bagshot doesn't cover anything later than the end of the nineteenth century."

But we could glean that before DH, too. From Hermione's introduction in SS:
SS, Ch. 6, The Journey from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, Page 106, US, PB"Harry Potter," said Harry.

"Are you really?" said Hermione. "I know all about you, of course - I got a few extra books for background reading, and you're in Modern Magical History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century.

We know from Harry's shopping list that A History of Magic was a required text for first year students (SS, Ch. 5, p. 66). Since Hermione mentioned only extra books for background reading from which she learned all about Harry (and, likely, Voldemort), it would have been unlikely that A History of Magic included Voldemort's fall to Harry, and possibly Voldemort at all. But Hermione's comment in DH clarifies that nothing about Voldemort would have been covered.

Makes me wonder, though, why Hermione didn't look towards A History of Magic to find Nicolas Flamel during the trio's search in SS. It seems unlikely Flamel wouldn't be included in the comprehensive history text pre-nineteenth century, though perhaps it predated her consideration (1300s/early 1400s, though we know she did consider events in the 14th century [Wizard's Council in the 14th century headed by Burdock Muldoon (Fantastic Beasts)]). Given Hermione's commitment of her books to memory, though, perhaps it wasn't there, or else the trio was overly fixated on recent events.
That certainly clears that up, thank you !

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2016, 10:05 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I have two questions ;

1. Its been a long time since I read the last book . I can't remember does it say where the Dursleys were being taken for their safety?

2. Do we ever find out what happened to Bellatrix's husband and his brother ?

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old September 28th, 2016, 10:40 pm
Renegade

No and no. On the first, Dedalus just says "the safe location we have picked out for you."

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old October 4th, 2016, 2:01 am
First Year

On many accounts it was mentioned that Voldemort was the greatest Leglimens the world had ever seen, particularly by Severus Snape during OotF and to Bellatrix Lestrange in the beginning of HBP.

However, Snape was able to successfully block his true intentions while in the company of Voldemort, and on one occasion even met Voldemort's direct gaze when being questioned.

Was Severus Snape, therefore, the most accomplished Occlumens of all time?

Old October 4th, 2016, 7:31 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriacus View Post
On many accounts it was mentioned that Voldemort was the greatest Leglimens the world had ever seen, particularly by Severus Snape during OotF and to Bellatrix Lestrange in the beginning of HBP.

However, Snape was able to successfully block his true intentions while in the company of Voldemort, and on one occasion even met Voldemort's direct gaze when being questioned.

Was Severus Snape, therefore, the most accomplished Occlumens of all time?
We have no way to measure just how good either was . My personal take is that Voldemort wasn't as good as his reputation . Snape was very good but he could be beaten . We know that Harry managed to get into Snape's inner thoughts so if Harry could do it but Voldemort couldn't then maybe Voldemort was not the best at it .

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old October 4th, 2016, 7:03 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
We have no way to measure just how good either was . My personal take is that Voldemort wasn't as good as his reputation . Snape was very good but he could be beaten . We know that Harry managed to get into Snape's inner thoughts so if Harry could do it but Voldemort couldn't then maybe Voldemort was not the best at it .
I haven't read that scene recently, but I suspect Snape wasn't prepared for Harry's accidental assault.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old January 9th, 2017, 8:59 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
We know that Harry managed to get into Snape's inner thoughts so if Harry could do it but Voldemort couldn't then maybe Voldemort was not the best at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
I haven't read that scene recently, but I suspect Snape wasn't prepared for Harry's accidental assault.
In the book, it came about as a result of Harry's use of Protego, didn't it? There are a few cases in the series where Harry manages some unusual magic as a result of some coincidental timing or alignment, as opposed to training and intent. One of the difficulties in assessing Harry's magical skills (say, as compared with Hermione) is in figuring out how much of this is innate talent, and how much is just dumb luck. It often seems like the latter, but I have trouble believing that Rowling would spend so many years writing about a hero whose primary positive magical ability is that he was that lucky.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old August 16th, 2017, 9:40 am
Always Indy's Girl

Of all time. I don't think so. Surely there must have been witches and wizards who were very accomplished Occlumens over the ages. But there is no doubt in my mind that Snape was among the very best of them.

Snape was definitely better than Voldemort in Occlumency. Was he the best of his time? Probably, but I'm not sure. There was Dumbledore and then there are Unspeakables may have had training in Occlumency and there surely would be others in the WW who could have been accomplished Occlumens to match Snape. In Hogwarts, the Order and among the Death Eaters though, I think the only person who might have have been better than Snape is Dumbledore.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone