Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

View Poll Results: What did you think of The Deathly Hallows
"O" Outstanding. It played out like nothing I expected. 378 47.07%
"E" Exceeds Expectations. Great story. I was engrossed. 282 35.12%
"A" Acceptable. Predictable but enjoyable none-the-less. 94 11.71%
"P" Poor. I just couldn't get into it. 4 0.50%
"D" Dreadful. I'm really dissapointed. A bad end to what was a great story. 23 2.86%
"T" Troll. Proving once and for all that I am past Harry Potter. 1 0.12%
"$%&" It is a horcrux and must be destroyed! 9 1.12%
Other (please state) 12 1.49%
Voters: 803. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:31 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

i love it sssooo much!!!!! definately an outstanding from me. everything was perfect, absolutely amazing. they only thing i am sad about was it is the end. thanks jo for an fantastic book!

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:38 pm
Registered Animagus

Perfect! Couldn't put the thing down if I wanted to! (And I woke up at five, on my birthday, and had to wait a further 6 hours due to the fact that my little place in the Forest of Dean (Yaaay! We got a mention!!!) was cut off from the rest of the country due to the floods). Was slightly confused as to how Tom died, but rereading it, I get the jist of it.

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:51 pm
Secret Keeper

Full of atmosphere and thrills all the way. The book was amazing and loved the twist at the end with the Elder Wand.

Miss Fred though, oh Fred that was a little upsetting but I think after Dumbledore I have become some what hardened.

The ending for me suggested potential futher story in future, what with the resurection stone lying around, the wand and the invisability cloak still present and there children.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:27 pm
Seventh Year

I really really didn't want to read the last book and that wasn't because I thought that I was going to be disappointed, it was because I didn't want the series to end.

However, in the knowledge that I would have had the book spoiled for me, I have read it from cover to cover in about 15 hours.

I gave it an "EE", although I should have voted "O", it was JK at her best.
I was hooked, enthralled, it was unputdownable.

It started out dark and edgy and got darker from there.
The death of Hedwig early on signalled, to me, that this was going for the jugular, and it didn't let up really.

There were periods of inactivity, but I got the gist that this was what Dumbledore wanted.
He didn't want Harry finding out too quickly, and that was the whole point in not telling him everything.

Really, I had one thing to say, it would be that I was surprised at how many people actually lived. I thought that the casualities were going to be higher.

Everyone has a photographic memory ... some, like me, just don't have any film
Old July 24th, 2007, 4:43 pm
MODLY CREW

I only voted Acceptable. I loved the book and it was thrilling at times but there was a repeated use of Deus ex machina that was annoying, there are too many unanswered questions, the epilogue was horrible to read for me and there are plot lines that were difficult to follow for different reasons.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:47 pm
Sixth Year

When I got back from the signing, I was kind of dead on my feet, so I grudgingly put the book down and decided to read it when I got home. Unfortunately, whilst sitting in King's Cross waiting for the train, I started reading and then found I couldn't stop until I'd finished, it was that good. It literally pulled me through it from start to finish, and I don't remember crying that hard over scenes in a book in a long time (I'm the emotional type, too.) The atmosphere, the dialogue, the writing in general... I actually thought it was all better than ever. I loved so many of the characters in this book, from Ron and Hermione to little Colin staying behind to fight even though he was underage. Dumbledore was also excellent, in that I adored the fleshing out of his character; I'm so glad he isn't perfect, it makes him so much more real.

What I loved most was the balance of dark and light in this book, though. Some of the dark stuff was so utterly horrible (Hermione's torture springs to mind), and yet I also vividly remember laughing out loud more than once at various scenes. The group of naked Harrys, for example =D

And who could forget "The Forest Again", which was pretty much fantastic in every way. God, I don't even know what to say... do we think this is the chapter Jo cried over? 'Cause I know I did.

The final battle, too, was better than I could have ever imagined. I've always loved the end of OotP (even though most people think it was badly handled), and this was like that, only five times more brilliant and gripping. Professor Trelawney with the crystal balls, Neville, McGonagall and her general awesomeness... it was wonderful.

Overall, Jo, you rule. Some people are going to hate it, like you said, but I couldn't heart you more right now.

I guess all signs point to "Outstanding" *votes*

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Old July 24th, 2007, 5:35 pm
First Year

I'll say first, there are enough threads already posted about this book being the favorite, so there's no need to defend the book in this thread (I still expect people will)

I think of the 7 books, this was my least favorite, though it had flashes of brilliance. The battle was spectacular, but the final fight was a whimper.
I just expected a bit more to the fight than what happened.

The book itself took really odd twist and turns. For starters, The Hallows deserved more mention than 1 book. It was just too much to take in for one book, less not the last book. This led to a huge problem, not just with them, but with everything. The book was so rushed! A lot of the information we read, i think could have been distributed better throughout the last few books. Just small mentions, not chapters, just to help build an understanding later.

Things that were never explained:

I don't know about anyone else, but there were some huge plot points that were never resolved. For starters, the MoM. I think virtually everyone expected the trio to visit the Department of Mysteries because of the veil, and because of the locked room. To build it in book 5 and then completely ignore it afterwards just seemed pointless.

Deaths:

I know there are a lot of post already about the pointlessness of some of them. I agree to an extent, but more importantly, I don't like how they were carried out in the end. If Harry was soooo affected by all these deaths, why no memorial at the end of the book? Why no mention of them in the epilogue?
It was kinda odd that they ate dinner with dead strewn among them.

Characters:

Nobody really felt in character in this book. I really don't have a good explanation for it, but it was like reading something foreign. I didn't feel the attachments I once did to the characters. Probably the best written moment was doby's death, because it was the only one where i felt a true connection with the characters again. It was probably the only death worth crying over, because the rest were just cast aside from a literary standpoint.

I'll keep it short with the Epilogue:

What happened here? I mean seriously, she wrote an epilogue that anyone with 2 sense could have formulated on their own. Epilogues generally tie up loose ends, yet here, it was more of "yep, the did it, they actually did it" sort of feel.

Don't get me wrong, I did like the book, but only as a book. It just wasn't Harry Potter any more for me.

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:58 pm
Third Year

I voted E. I enjoyed the book but wasn't blown away. I had really high expectations and the book didn't meet all of them. What about the number 12? And socks? Nothing significant about those things I suppose -- just fun little ditties to throw in once in a while. I was hoping we'd see a final wrap up of so many more things.

For me, the redemption of this book were the revelations about Snape. I knew he was good but I sure didn't predict that he loved Lily. In fact, a good friend of mine was convinced he loved her once we read "Snape's Worst Memory" but I never agreed. He is my favorite character and and I LOVED reading "The Prince's Tale". The significance of Harry's green eyes, "like his mother's", was so touching: "Look...at...me..." So sad.

Aside from that, however, I really expected Jo to go for the jugular, but it seemed a bit safe for me. I expected to see Mrs. Weasley or Hagrid die. Once Remus said Harry would be Teddy's godfather, I knew they would both die -- but I thought there would be more emphasis on Harry and Ginny raising him.

All in all, pretty good, really.

If one feels the need of something grand, something infinite, something that makes one feel aware of God,
one need not go far to find it...I think that I see something deeper, more infinite, more eternal than the ocean in the
expression of the eyes of a little baby when it wakes in the morning and coos or laughs because it sees
the sun shining on its cradle.

- Vincent van Gogh -
Old July 24th, 2007, 6:21 pm
Second Year

Overall it was a great book, but I rated it EE for the poor epilouge, and all the unanswared questions.

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:23 pm
Second Year

I don't like the answer options in this Poll very much. Is a story only good if it is unpredictable? I don't think so. I think that if you overdo the suspence, the effect is more annoying than anything.

For example, quite a few people knew that Snape is going to die (me amongst them). Did this made his death in any way uninteresting? No. No, on the contrary, most of us feel that it should have been described much more fully.

Almost everyone expected to meet Dumbledore again in the story, in one way or another. Did this fact made his appearance less anticipated? Not at all.

A year ago I have red the most interesting modern thriller with a plot full of unexpected twists and turns. The name? I don't remember it. The full story? No idea. Although incredibly interesting to read at the moment, it didn't leave the slightest trace in my conscious as something worthy to remember.

You get me ?

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:26 pm
Second Year

*Raises hand as the first person to give it a D*

Only one that got an 'O' is OOTP imho..

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:29 pm
First Year

I give it an E mostly because of the epilogue. It was really really bad :/ All we find out is that the main characters got married and had kids and that Neville became the Herbology teacher. I hated the childrens names and ugh I just didnt like it at all. hahaha

The rest of the book was SO amazing though especially the last few chapters. I loved how R/Hr played out (although I wish they would have said "I love you!).

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:29 pm
Fifth Year

First, I have to say that I was one of those selfish horrible people that read the book online first. Well, I read a great deal of it and while I was at first hooked I started not liking it at all. For a week I had a pit in my stomach thinking: What did she do? What is all this stuff? Dumbledore? The Deathly Hallows (which I thought were the Horcruxes)? The endless camping, Ron leaving, etc. It started sounding so fake to me, so horrible.

Then, I confessed to my HP friend who was joining me at the midnight party. I didn't spoil anything for her, just confessed what I did and how I felt about what I read. But as I did that, a light bulb went off in my head. For example, at first I thought that Dumbledore's background was like being cold-cocked, out of the blue, with no warning. And I had asked myself, when has she ever done that, she always gives us clues? And as I'm trying to remember examples of when she gives us clues, I recalled this much - when did we ever have a clue about Scabbers being Pettigrew BEFORE PoA? NEVER!

And it all snowballed from there; I won't bore you with the details. But the more I talked about it, the more I realized that I was wrong.

And I remember one other thing - when HBP came out, a lot of people were disappointed because she took us somewhere we didn't know, she surprised us. Gee, when has she ever done that before?! And, as a new fan to the series (I only started reading the books in January 2005), and a new fan to Mugglenet and the online family, I realized that the reason why everyone was so upset that certain things were left out or that she took us down a path we weren't prepared for was because you guys had 2 years to speculate and theorize about what would happen, what might happen. And when it didn't meet your expectations, there was disappointment.

I fell into the same trap. I am humbled now. I thought they'd be looking for Horcruxes; I knew that she would have to make it somewhat simple because Harry knew next to nothing about where they could be (except for Nagini, which I thought was a red herring; she tricked us again!).

When I had the book in my hands and started reading, it was like I never read it online. It was new, fresh, wonderous. Everything seemed to make more sense once I realized that of course she was going to take us on a different path than what we expected.

I gave the book "O" - it was beautiful. I saw the wonderous humor again (poor George; poor Fred). I cried when they toasted Moody. I bawled for 15 minutes when Harry buried Dobby! And I thought the ending was spectacular - it was wonderful watching the pompous evil man, who thought no one could defeat him, get defeated so simply. Because it doesn't have to be that complicated. And myth and more current stories tell us that the bad guy always has one big flaw - OVERCONFIDENCE. Dumbledore told us again and again that that was Voldemort's flaw - he couldn't see the powerful magic of Lily's sacrifice and even when he discovered it, he didn't get it, taking her protection into himself, thinking it made him SAFE! HA!

And Harry's walk into the woods to face his death - I see now why she said she was glad that no one asked her further about her Christian beliefs. It was very Christ-like - and his death saved others. WOW! I kind of felt like there would be something like that, but the way she wrote it was so beautiful. I cried during that scene. I cried when Dumbledore confessed his weakness! I still love him! I love him for his faults and for his virtues. I cried when Hagrid carried Harry's body back to Hogwarts. I knew he was alive, but Hagrid didn't and it was so poignant, that Hagrid had carried Harry as a baby to Privet Drive, had introduced him back to the wizarding world, and then brought his body back.

And Neville! I loved that he didn't die. I loved what he did! A true Gryffindor!

I can't even talk about Fred. It's hard watching the movies now or even reading the books knowing it. Not as sad about Lupin because I figured he had to go, though I didn't know he would leave a child behind. And Tonks, too. But, Fred, not Fred.

The epilogue was well, anti-climactic obviously. But maybe the message is this: the Boy Who Lived does not wind up doing anything spectacular - those that should lead us don't want power, remember. Harry is having a quiet life, even though he is still recognized. That's kind of what I got out of it, although I would still like to know what happens to everyone else. Maybe she wanted to leave it open so we could continue our fan fiction.

All in all VERY SATISFYING. I'm doing a slow re-read now to really take it in. It is obviously bittersweet. It was wonderful, but now it's over and sometimes I do just want to sit down and cry a little.

Good-bye Harry!

We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debt, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our calling and our creeds...[we will] have no time to think, no means of calling our miss-managers to account but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers... And this is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent for[ another]... till the bulk of society is reduced to be mere automatons of misery... And the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression. A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement -- this is the sum of good government. ---Thomas Jefferson

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:33 pm
First Year

I wish JKR kept all her promises and that I was right about RAB and Snape. I have to reread the final battle seen but I think that OotP final battle was still better but It was probably my favorite book.

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:36 pm
Second Year

My older sister's borrowing my copy of OotP but I recall Dumbledore telling Tom how there's more than one way to kill a man or something to that affect. Something worse for the sort of despicable nutcase that is Voldemort. I was expecting some extravagant sorcery to bring down the beast so to speak. Something a bit more refined than "the" killing curse, which is what it amounted to.

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:41 pm
First Year

The book was a very satisfying end to an incredible series. At the last book party, I just kept looking around at all the people and thinking of all the people worldwide who were doing the same thing - that is the genius of Jo Rowling - to write something so basic, yet so magical that the whole world enjoys it! EE!

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:42 pm
Second Year

by far the best book yet

I think it was powerful. Very depressing but very happy! i gave it an O. I loved this book. i cannot belive the seris is over =[[

Wise Words from a wise man..Albus Dumbledore!

~Don't Dwell On Dreams and Forget to Live
~I'm not worried Im With you
~Tom, Mearley taking you life wouldnt satisfy me
~Well....it's just that you seem to be laboring under the delusion that I am going to come...whats the phrase...come quietley
~Old men are guilty if they forget what its like to be young
Old July 24th, 2007, 6:44 pm
First Year

O for OUTSTANDING! It met my expectations and more. There wasn't one part of the book that I didn't like!

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:50 pm
First Year

"D" Dreadful. I'm really dissapointed. A bad end to what was a great story.
As I already explained in the discussion DH topic. I found it awesome after I readed it but after that I fell down...

http://www.cosforums.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=86 <-- read and I think most people will change their opinion about the book... because you can't deny it that Rowling left to many gaps for us to fill up...

Dutch Harry Potter Site: www.harrypotterfreakz.com
Dutch Harry Potter Forum: www.harrypotterforum.nl

Last edited by wouser; July 24th, 2007 at 6:53 pm.
Old July 24th, 2007, 6:52 pm
Fifth Year

I went with "E" Exceeds Expectations. Great story. I was engrossed. I couldn't give it an O cause there were things about it that left me going HUH? It was an excellent book and it was clearly how she wanted it to end some parts just left me wanting.

"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head. "Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"

Be kind, use the Search Engine|Search Engine Tutorial

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives