Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Have any Slytherins ever been trustworthy?

Old August 24th, 2007, 11:27 am
First Year

Re: Have any Slytherins ever been trustworthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
Though, I would like to point to part of the Sorting Hat's song about how the Slytherins will "use any means to achieve their ends." Doesn't this song suggest that in general, when it comes down to doing what is right or what is in their own best interests, that a Slytherin will chose to do what is in his or her own best interests? Is that the mark of a trustworthy person?
Actually, I think the hat was referring to the "determined" aspect of the Slytherin, in reference to the quoted portion. And yes, such a quality would be present in a trustworthy person.

But as far as the Slytherin preferring to look out for their own best interests, then to steal a term from Television Without Pity, that's what they call in Survivor "game trust". And while such a form of "trust" might not be useful from a moral standpoint, it would be from a practical one, since such a person would reliable and predictable.

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2007, 6:15 pm
Second Year

If there is a problem I have with the Harry Potter series, it was Rowling's tendency to stereotype most of the Slytherin characters. As someone else had pointed out, it was disappointing that many of the Death Eaters turned out to be parents of Slytherin students in Harry's generation. Even more disappointing was that she did not allow any of the Slytherin students to participate in the battle against Voldemort and the Death Eaters in DH. But what I have also found disappointing was that the young Tom Riddle was portrayed as evil with no redeeming qualities . . . even at the age of ten or eleven. In the end, he almost came off as a one-dimensionally evil character.

Old August 24th, 2007, 8:09 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySylvia View Post
If there is a problem I have with the Harry Potter series, it was Rowling's tendency to stereotype most of the Slytherin characters. As someone else had pointed out, it was disappointing that many of the Death Eaters turned out to be parents of Slytherin students in Harry's generation. Even more disappointing was that she did not allow any of the Slytherin students to participate in the battle against Voldemort and the Death Eaters in DH.

I don't want to post a spoiler here - not sure if we're allowed to, but, I think she did, she just didn't give any specific names of students - neither Ravenclaw's or Hufflepuff's that weren't from a specific group. Slughorn, though, was Slytherin and one of the last to and incredibly important IMO, especially in HBP.

I always saw JK Rowling stereotyping Slytherins from Harry Potter's point of view, as her primary message in the books was anti-discrimination, so people would see them through a bad light and then realize how wrong they were - one of the reasons I prefer representing the Slytherin house, to point out to people they're just as discriminatory as the people they feel would discriminate against them.

Last edited by Greeney; August 24th, 2007 at 8:12 pm.
Old August 25th, 2007, 3:00 am
Second Year

The only slytherin that comes to mind that was trustworthy was slughorn, thats about it. Jo seems to have just made all the slyhterins the baddies, basically the scum of the wizarding world...

Old August 28th, 2007, 7:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I always saw JK Rowling stereotyping Slytherins from Harry Potter's point of view, as her primary message in the books was anti-discrimination, so people would see them through a bad light and then realize how wrong they were - one of the reasons I prefer representing the Slytherin house, to point out to people they're just as discriminatory as the people they feel would discriminate against them.

She could have done that with individuals from all four houses at Hogswarts, instead of focusing upon one particular group of characters as bigots. We all know from the human experience that one does not have to be a white male Christian in order to be a bigot. I have come across bigots from various backgrounds. So why characterize one particular group - namely many of the present and past students from Slytherin - as being bigots?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives