Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

The Twelve Uses of Dragon's Blood

Old September 18th, 2006, 6:43 pm
Sixth Year

Re: The Twelve Uses of Dragon's Blood

Wolfsbane is a fairly new invention. Maybe that's part of the reason why Remus is so poor, if he has trouble getting a job and he has to buy expensive dragon blood for his wolfsbane potion.

Since prices are 'sky high at the moment', the idea of it being linked with extra strength spells, or protection potions, does seem likely. Although, sales in bogus amulets are also up, and that doesn't mean that they work.

My fics: My Lilyflower (a James/Lily fic)
Tiger Lily (a James/Lily sequel)
Hermione Granger's Diary: Hermione a la Bridget Jones!

Harry Ginny ... Tonks Remus ... Hermione Ron
Fear my armada, for it is strong and mighty...
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2006, 8:53 pm
Oracle Octopus

Does any one have the DVD of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, because according to the Lexicon the Director of the movie insisted Jo to tell all the 12 uses of Dragon's Blood so that Hermione could recite it out but then it was edited from the movie as well. So if anybody has the uncensored clips they can go through it and tell us the 12 uses of Dragon's blood.

Old September 19th, 2006, 7:19 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
Does any one have the DVD of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, because according to the Lexicon the Director of the movie insisted Jo to tell all the 12 uses of Dragon's Blood so that Hermione could recite it out but then it was edited from the movie as well. So if anybody has the uncensored clips they can go through it and tell us the 12 uses of Dragon's blood.
Please, forget about movies. It is nothing correct in there. Nothing!. I don't want to be rude, but I prefer to discus the source and not one of the "fan fic", as all movie is actually are.
I have DVD and it is no words in additional scenes about 12 uses of "Dragon Blood"

And by the way, "Dragon's blood" is the real fruit of some special palm and uses in our muggle medicine for healing. :-)

Old September 19th, 2006, 8:23 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinDzaDza View Post
Please, forget about movies. It is nothing correct in there. Nothing!. I don't want to be rude, but I prefer to discus the source and not one of the "fan fic", as all movie is actually are.
I have DVD and it is no words in additional scenes about 12 uses of "Dragon Blood"

And by the way, "Dragon's blood" is the real fruit of some special palm and uses in our muggle medicine for healing. :-)
While the movies aren't canon, I do dispute that they are fanfic. The HP movies are interpretations of JKs works, she has authorized them and has stated that things are foreshadowed in them, which does allow leeway in discussing them on the forums.

As for Dragon's blood in real life, it is from the dark red resin of berries from a specific palm, the Dragon tree, Calamus Draco, indigenous to Indonesia and the Canary Islands---the resin is sometimes referred to as Fire resin, and is used as a topical 'herbal remedy' to stop bleeding. Interestingly enough, Fire resin denotes a Mars connection...Harry Potter, Mars is bright to night; Mars, bringer of war; element of Gryffindor House,fire.

But this knowledge of the plant in 'Muggle' society doesn't get us much further in understanding the 12 uses of 'real dragon's blood' in Potter verse.

In regards to the dvds, the 12 uses of Dragon's Blood aren't revealed on them, nor in any of the deleted scenes. Had it been, believe me, avid fans would have posted them on HP sites in a heartbeat.

Last edited by kingwidgit; September 19th, 2006 at 10:26 am.
Old September 19th, 2006, 8:24 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
IIRC, it wasn't "edited out," it just wasn't included, as JKR didn't wish to divulge that information.

Old March 4th, 2007, 4:21 am
Fifth Year

Blood does come in different shades, from dark bluish red of unoxygenated blood to the bright red of freshly oxygenated blood. Anemic blood looks pink. So fresh dragon blood may be greenish red but changes to red when it is stored fro a while. Also, we don't know that it wasn't preserved in some way before Slughorn got it, that could change its color too. Changing color could be one of its magical properties.

Slughorn had some because it must be very important in potion making.

Can you guess where I am?
Old March 4th, 2007, 5:17 am
Sirius' Girl

I think one of its uses might be as a substitute for wasabe for those who are allergic...

Old March 4th, 2007, 11:42 am
Seventh Year

I rereading OotP at the moment and found a very interesting glass-fronted cabinet in the drawing room in Grimauld Place. Thats the cabinet were the locket was. Under the things that are mentioned is also an ornate crystal bottle with a large opal set into the stopper, full of a liquid Harry thought was blood.
We know that Dragon blood is used for potions. And Slughorn told us in HBP that it is expensieve today maybe because it is difficult to get. If I`m right, than Harry will find the bottle in Grimauld Place in DH.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:29 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annett View Post
We know that Dragon blood is used for potions. And Slughorn told us in HBP that it is expensieve today maybe because it is difficult to get. If I`m right, than Harry will find the bottle in Grimauld Place in DH.
I had the weird notion that that bottle you mentioned contained... erm... uh... noble and pure blood from the house of Black. I thought if they were such pure-blood maniacs, would it be so out of character to keep a bottle of their own pureblood in the drawing room showcase?

My Pottermore username: DawnNox88

Old March 4th, 2007, 1:15 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runes View Post
I had the weird notion that that bottle you mentioned contained... erm... uh... noble and pure blood from the house of Black. I thought if they were such pure-blood maniacs, would it be so out of character to keep a bottle of their own pureblood in the drawing room showcase?
It`s also possible. But many of the little things Jo described had its use later, like the diary, Dumbledore`s chocofrog card, Dumbledore`s mention of the room of requirement, Ron`s polishing detention and so on. And I couldn`t find the use if the blood is what you suggests. While rereading the books I look at the small details from a view why the author put them in the story. There were also a snake skin in that cabinet and we know that they were used in potions.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.

Last edited by Annett; March 4th, 2007 at 7:18 pm. Reason: spelling
Old March 4th, 2007, 3:10 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_bear View Post
I found this quote on Wikipedia:

"In neopagan Witchcraft, it (Dragon's Blood) is used to increase the potency of spells for protection."
I was really glad to see this reference, ms_bear. From my first reading of HBP, I assumed that Slughorn had splattered dragon's blood on his wall as some form of repellant or protection. Otherwise, why would he do that?

Old March 4th, 2007, 3:46 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essbee
Wolfsbane is a fairly new invention. Maybe that's part of the reason why Remus is so poor, if he has trouble getting a job and he has to buy expensive dragon blood for his wolfsbane potion.
We know that Remus cannot make the Wolfsbane Potion, so the only expensive thing would be him buying the Potion, with dragon's blood in it. However, I doubt it because, as you say, the Wolfsbane Potion is fairly new, and Dumbledore did not discover it. Therefore, he could not have discovered that one of the uses of dragon blood was for the Wolfsbane Potion if the Wolfsbane Potion was not created (and he did not create it...).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annett
I rereading OotP at the moment and found a very interesting glass-fronted cabinet in the drawing room in Grimauld Place. Thats the cabinet were the locket was. Under the things that are mentioned is also an ornate crystal bottle with a large opal set into the stopper, full of a liquid Harry thought was blood.
I do not think that, if this was truly dragon blood, it would have been overlooked. Although Dumbledore did not even know dragon blood when he saw it on the wall, I would think that Sirius would make sure that it was/was not dragon blood before throwing it away (which I believe he did). If dragon blood truly is useful, I doubt that it would have been overlooked/thrown away. Therefore, I am led to believe that it is the blood of one of the Blacks', one of their victim's, or a house elf's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annett
We know that Dragon blood is used for potions.
We do? Just because Slughorn had some does not mean that it is used for potions. He could have just had it for some oven cleaner.

One thing that we do know is that dragon blood can or cannot be reusable if thrown onto a wall. A bit of dust does not eliminate its properties, or else Slughorn would have been more upset. Instead, he merely said, "My last bottle, and prices are sky-high at the moment. Still, it might be reusable. Hmm. Bit dusty."

However, we know from potion making that even the slightest change in ingredients/directions can be disastrous, and thus I am hesitant to believe that it is used in potions. However, it seems obvious that a magical item like dragon blood would be used in strong potions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snape_Redemptor
From my first reading of HBP, I assumed that Slughorn had splattered dragon's blood on his wall as some form of repellant or protection. Otherwise, why would he do that?
He splattered dragon's blood on the wall in order to lead Dumbledore into thinking that Slughorn was attacked, bleeding profusely, and dragged off. He was merely trying to trick Dumbledore into thinking that the dragon's blood was Slughorn's, but Dumbledore did not take the bait.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old March 4th, 2007, 4:32 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I do not think that, if this was truly dragon blood, it would have been overlooked. Although Dumbledore did not even know dragon blood when he saw it on the wall, I would think that Sirius would make sure that it was/was not dragon blood before throwing it away (which I believe he did). If dragon blood truly is useful, I doubt that it would have been overlooked/thrown away. Therefore, I am led to believe that it is the blood of one of the Blacks', one of their victim's, or a house elf's.

We do? Just because Slughorn had some does not mean that it is used for potions. He could have just had it for some oven cleaner.

One thing that we do know is that dragon blood can or cannot be reusable if thrown onto a wall. A bit of dust does not eliminate its properties, or else Slughorn would have been more upset. Instead, he merely said, "My last bottle, and prices are sky-high at the moment. Still, it might be reusable. Hmm. Bit dusty."

However, we know from potion making that even the slightest change in ingredients/directions can be disastrous, and thus I am hesitant to believe that it is used in potions. However, it seems obvious that a magical item like dragon blood would be used in strong potions.
There`s the Niebelungenlied an epic poem that tells the story of dragon-slayer Siegfried. After killing the dragon Fafnir, Siegfried bathed in its blood, rendering him invulnerable. A leaf from a linden tree above the bath landed on his back and makes him vulnerable in that one spot.
Jo used often ideas of ancient tales, why not this very well known? And why should Dumbledore be famous for the 12 uses of dragon blood if it`s greatest use is the one as a oven cleaner? I can`t see the point why the Black`s should keep their blood in a bottle. If it is human blood, than that`s of someone important for the last part.

Old March 4th, 2007, 4:56 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

That JKR lists oven cleaner as a use suggests that the claim was used as colour.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old March 4th, 2007, 5:08 pm
Fifth Year

Re: What colour is dragons blood or does it differ through spieces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrax View Post
I think it counts as a mistake, unless we have two very different animals that are both called dragons. Unless we simply explain off this inconsistency with magic, which is cheap imho, blood color difference would indicate something very basic that's different in the two dragons. So basic that it would probably alter them being a dragon or not. ...not so clear but oh well it's not the key of the series right?
It might not necessarily be diferent species but maybe different ways you treat it. Maybe it goes red if you boil it, or the steak had gone off, or Slughorn coloured his.

It's notable that Slughorn says:
Quote:
"...prices [of dragon blood] are sky-high at the moment..."
I doubt there are so many people using it to decorate their walls, but maybe it has some sort of defensive property?

I'm a bit confused - can someone clarify for me how we know that Hermione learnt the uses of dragon blood in they're first year?

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old March 4th, 2007, 5:35 pm
First Year

Maybe it's possible that dragon's blood was used in the potion in the cave? It's green, other myths/religions list its protective properties....
But I think DD would have recognized the potion then.
Or, there is a 13th use for it that LV found. DD has to drink 13 cups to empty the basin?

Old March 4th, 2007, 5:44 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: What colour is dragons blood or does it differ through spieces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFinch View Post
can someone clarify for me how we know that Hermione learnt the uses of dragon blood in they're first year?
Ron and Harry should know at least some of them, too.
PS/SS, Ch. 14It was hard to relax with Hermione next to you reciting the twelve uses of dragon's blood or practicing wand movements.

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Old March 5th, 2007, 6:30 am
Third Year

On one of the uses being to destroy Horcruxes: While it would seem that Hermione's knowledge of all 12 would seem to rule out Dragon's Blood as a Universal Horcrux destroyer, that may not be what we are supposed to be looking for. Each horcrux seems to have its own protections based upon the original charms upon the item. I dont think we expect Harry to pierce them all with Basilsik teeth, as he did inn CoS. So it seem more likely that a "normal" use will have application to at least one of the horcruxes. For example, if one of the horcruxes was the mess inside the oven at Marvolo's house, the Oven cleaner use would handle it.

The neat thing about this theory is that if true, it is a lot easier to understand Dumbledore sending the trio out to hunt horcruxes without better instructions. He knows that they already know how to handle the rest. Not to overstate things, he knows that some are destroyed (the ring and the diary), he knows Harry can speak parseltongue, which may be the key to Slytherin's locket, and he thinks he knows what some of the other Horcruxes are, and perhaps, what protections they have, and, therefore, what spells will be needed to crack them. And he knows they have been taught them. (Is there anything else which Harry learned in potions from Slughorn or the Prince which will come in handy, and which he would not have learned if Snape had taught the class and not allowed HArry to take it?)

Do magical creatures arise from natural selection or magical husbandry? If the latter, then various types of dragons might be more different than we might expect. The fact that the native dragon of the British Isles is apparently the Welsh Green, and Hagrid has a green steak, may also be significant.

Old March 5th, 2007, 12:00 pm
Seventh Year

What should be the reason for including that first year students learn the uses of dragon blood in the story if it weren`t useful at any time? Dumbledore praised Harry in the cave for using the simplest way of finding out what they are facing. Often Harry wasn`t equal with his opponents in his tasks, remenber the Expelliarmus against Voldemort and in the Chamber of Secrets. But every time he used little things and prevailed over his opponents.

Old March 6th, 2007, 4:25 am
First Year

Everyone seems to think that Slughorn having red blood on his wall and Hagrid having green blood come out of his dragon steak was a mistake by JKR. However the thing is that there's many different breeds of dragons. Wouldn't it be very possible that different breeds have different color blood? That's how I always explained it to myself.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives