Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

Severus Snape and Muggle Culture

Old June 30th, 2010, 11:52 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Severus Snape and Muggle Culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
The Secret Garden!!! Great example ~ and I presume you are talking about the musical about the two brothers, Neville and Archibald both in love with Lily?

I've never seen the musical, but from the book I've always seen Snape as Archibald, pining away for his lost wife and blaming his poor son until his literal "awakening" with the magical dream.

Here are the lyrics to the song "Lily's Eyes." (Substitute "the girl has Lily's hazel eyes" with "Harry has Lily's green eyes")

Exactly! Also you would substitute "loved my brother, never me" to "loved James Potter, never me" or "loved my rival, never me".

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2010, 5:59 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I know that you guys are all very avid Snape fans, but would anyone be interested in expanding this to other characters as well? (I could start my own thread if necessary, but this one is already here...) I'm just imagining Arthur Weasley trying to puzzle out muggle society by watching old Star Trek episodes or Hagrid reading Anne McCaffrey's Pern books or Hermione devouring the entirety of the Library of Congress before even finding out about being a witch.

So if there is interest in expanding this thread or starting a new one, let me know
I'm not really interested in expanding this thread to other characters, although you can certainly compare anyone in the books to Snape or talk about his views of them. The whole point of this thread is to discuss Snape in an unconventional way since we can't do it on the Character thread in Ls.

And except for Arthur Weasley, there just aren't enough Muggleborns and others who were all that connected to the Muggle world in the books. Even Hermione distanced herself from Muggles more than Snape did, spending so much time in the summer and on holidays with the Weasleys. But I'm not that interested in talking about Hermione on this thread either.

ETA: Harry cared about his relatives (sort of) but he certainly never had much fun in the Muggle World, while we know that Snape did because he had Lily. Hagrid seemed to hate Muggles and slammed both the Dursleys and Filch (a squib). And frankly, I can't imagine Hagrid reading anything except the Monster Book of Monsters.

If someone wants to start a different thread modeled on this one, I'm fine with that.

I think if Snape had been able to talk freely, he and Arthur would have had some great discussions about the Muggle world. The trouble is, Arthur and Snape aren't in the same room for more than a few seconds in all the books. Snape couldn't be cozy with the Weasleys without possibly showing the memory to Voldemort and that would put all their lives in danger, since the Weasleys were considered Blood Traitors.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon

Last edited by silver ink pot; July 1st, 2010 at 6:17 am.
Old July 1st, 2010, 3:52 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
I think if Snape had been able to talk freely, he and Arthur would have had some great discussions about the Muggle world. The trouble is, Arthur and Snape aren't in the same room for more than a few seconds in all the books. Snape couldn't be cozy with the Weasleys without possibly showing the memory to Voldemort and that would put all their lives in danger, since the Weasleys were considered Blood Traitors.
Very interesting point. I'd love to know what Snape and Arthur would have said to each other if they'd had the chance.

BTW, my couple of brief points from the Character Analysis thread: I like to think that Snape would have gone through a brief but intense punk phase right after Lily's death.

In terms of classical music, I see him as very Sturm und Drang - Beethoven, and possibly Mahler and Wagner. In other words, the "darker romantics."

Somebody mentioned Se7en as among his possible taste in movies. My question is Why? The film just seems so nihilistic. I don't see Snape as a nihilist.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old July 1st, 2010, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC
Somebody mentioned Se7en as among his possible taste in movies. My question is Why? The film just seems so nihilistic. I don't see Snape as a nihilist.
I've never been able to sit through that entire movie (too gory for me) but perhaps the idea is that Snape is interested in fighting evil, as we know from his interest in DADA. So he might watch a movie about hunting down someone who is that evil in order to study what makes them tick - like a criminal profiler.

I can see Snape watching crime shows for sure.

Two movies came to mind while thinking about this: The Untouchables and The Departed. I can see Snape getting into those.

The scene in the Untouchables when Al Capone threatens people with the baseball bat while they are eating dinner is very similar to Voldemort at Malfoy Manor. People recoil in horror but they wouldn't dare leave the room or their heads might be next on the platter.

Also in the Untouchables, Eliot Ness loses his mentor (played by Sean Connery) to a bloody violent death, which is like Snape losing Dumbledore then Harry losing Snape. But Snape is also like Ness because he doesn't completely buy into the "Chicago Way" of dealing with Voldemort ("they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way, and that's how you get Capone"). Both Snape and Harry are forced by Dumbledore into dealing with evil in those black and white terms, but they are both repulsed by what they have to do.

The Departed is almost exactly like the Half-Blood Prince situation. Leonardo DiCaprio is an undercover cop who has to deal with basically a vicious animal of a bad guy played by Jack Nicholson. The whole thing sickens him but he keeps going back out of loyalty to his boss, but then his boss gets literally thrown from a rooftop (sound familiar?).

There's just something classic about those movies.

Old July 1st, 2010, 10:24 pm

Quote:
I've never been able to sit through that entire movie (too gory for me) but perhaps the idea is that Snape is interested in fighting evil, as we know from his interest in DADA. So he might watch a movie about hunting down someone who is that evil in order to study what makes them tick - like a criminal profiler.
Do you know the ending? I can't imagine Snape being able to handle that emotionally, frankly. Way too close to home.

One thing interesting, though: Snape was still alive when the film came out, so he could have seen it. But I think he would have been, well, extremely disturbed after seeing it.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:32 pm
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Funny, I was thinking about Simon and Garfunkle as far as contemporary music. "Sounds of Silence," is my favorite of theirs, but, for Sev I was thinking more of "I Am a Rock" (I am an island...I have my books, and my poetry to protect me...)

Other than a few contemporaries, I would say he would mostly be into the classical composers. Chopin, Bach, maybe Lizst.

I think he might relate to "Phantom of the Opera." The music is fantastic, and, the story is of unrequited love.

I think Severus had to have some outlet, since, the Occlumency/Legilmency had to be really draining. If he read, he'd have other things to think about as LV was probing his mind.

He might have been into Le Carré, Forsyth, Vonnegut, King...they were all popular in the 70's, but, again, I see him more into the Classics: Austen, Bronte, Tolstoy, maybe even Poe, Stoker or Shelly. But, I would see him more, as I said on the LS thread, into books about potion making and his working to perfect his "art" as a Potions Master.

I can see why the comparison of Sev and Heathcliff comes to mind at first, but, when you start digging into it, they seem less and less alike. I think it's the darkness of the characters that first causes that -- it was one of my first thoughts. Then, as was pointed out, their character traits differ so much once you get past the bad childhood and darkness/aloofness.

I've said this before, but, I see him more along the Ebenezer Scrooge lines. Lonely, negative childhood; finds a love then drives her away; repents after being shown the wrongs of his ways; changes his life and goes on to save a young boy's (Tiny Tim's). I know they're not exactly alike, but, they remind me of one another a lot.

I can definitely see Sev, if he'd survived, retired to Spinner's End, sitting among his books, leaning back in his comfortable recliner (he has a wand, so he wouldn't need a remote) with some "refreshments," and watching "House." Of course, he could give Greg House some "snark lessons." But, I think he'd get a kick out of watching him.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:45 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
Funny, I was thinking about Simon and Garfunkle as far as contemporary music. "Sounds of Silence," is my favorite of theirs, but, for Sev I was thinking more of "I Am a Rock" (I am an island...I have my books, and my poetry to protect me...)
I just remember there was a wonderful video way back when with clips of Snape and this song. Since then, the song has always reminded me of him.

I agree that Snape would be a classical music type. but I also loved CC's idea that he went through a bit of a punk phase.

For myself, I have always seen him listening to the more depressing Nine Inch Nails songs. (but perhaps that would be too contemporary for him)

Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:02 am
Banned

Quote:
I can definitely see Sev, if he'd survived, retired to Spinner's End, sitting among his books, leaning back in his comfortable recliner (he has a wand, so he wouldn't need a remote) with some "refreshments," and watching "House." Of course, he could give Greg House some "snark lessons." But, I think he'd get a kick out of watching him.
They were in a movie together: the extremely amazing 1995 adaptation of Sense and Sensibility, written by and starring Emma Thompson. Alan Rickman plays the film's most heroic male, Colonel Brandon, while Hugh Laurie plays the perpetually annoyed, dry and sarcastic Mr. Palmer. There's a very amusing mini-scene with them together, in which Hugh Laurie is holding a screaming baby boy with a disgusted look on his face, while his annoying wife runs her mouth about them and Alan Rickman looks on while wearing a pretty hilarious smirk. The wife is even played by Imelda Staunton (Dolores Umbridge).

Actually, come to think of it, a LOT of Harry Potter actors appeared in that film, including the actors who played: Snape, Trelawney, the Fat Lady, Fudge, Pomfrey, and Umbridge.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 2:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by APolaris View Post
They were in a movie together: the extremely amazing 1995 adaptation of Sense and Sensibility, written by and starring Emma Thompson. Alan Rickman plays the film's most heroic male, Colonel Brandon, while Hugh Laurie plays the perpetually annoyed, dry and sarcastic Mr. Palmer. There's a very amusing mini-scene with them together, in which Hugh Laurie is holding a screaming baby boy with a disgusted look on his face, while his annoying wife runs her mouth about them and Alan Rickman looks on while wearing a pretty hilarious smirk. The wife is even played by Imelda Staunton (Dolores Umbridge).

Actually, come to think of it, a LOT of Harry Potter actors appeared in that film, including the actors who played: Snape, Trelawney, the Fat Lady, Fudge, Pomfrey, and Umbridge.

Ah, AP, you're talking to an Alan-Rickman-as-Col.-Brandon fanatic!!! That IS the most amazing movie. And to see all of those familiar faces. (Now I know what the Hogwarts' staff does during their time off ) (Yeah, I know, it was made about three years before the first HP movie)

OMG, Alan Rickman could read Shakespeare to me in the garden anytime. He could read the stupid phone book, as long as he just talked.

Hugh Laurie was hilarious holding that baby...like he didn't know whether to hold on to it or throw it as far as he could. It's one of my very favorite movies, and, I watch it as often as I can without looking like some kind of nut (which I am, but try to keep it from showing.)

To prove me wrong.
Spent without you.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 2:58 am
Banned

Quote:
Ah, AP, you're talking to an Alan-Rickman-as-Col.-Brandon fanatic!!! That IS the most amazing movie. And to see all of those familiar faces. (Now I know what the Hogwarts' staff does during their time off ) (Yeah, I know, it was made about three years before the first HP movie)

OMG, Alan Rickman could read Shakespeare to me in the garden anytime. He could read the stupid phone book, as long as he just talked.

Hugh Laurie was hilarious holding that baby...like he didn't know whether to hold on to it or throw it as far as he could. It's one of my very favorite movies, and, I watch it as often as I can without looking like some kind of nut (which I am, but try to keep it from showing.)
It was one of my comfort films after my last breakup. Another was the 1995 version of Pride & Prejudice, in fact. I'm at the point where I notice Jane's head nodding in slow-motion before Lizzy's and Darcy's dance, which according to Republic of Pemberley is one of the first signs of addiction. S&S is in my top 5 films of all time, due mostly to its aesthetics, music and acting, along with Schindler's List (I wonder how Snape would take that one... would probably flee from its raw emotion and sheer realism), Casablanca (Rick would probably remind him too much of James), Slumdog Millionaire (... I could actually picture Snape liking it very much if he could get past the xenophobia I picture him having), and the Shawshank Redemption (I don't know what he'd think of that one).

About the person who asked why I think he'd like Se7en: there are a few reasons. Between his dressing in black and staying in dungeons, the big reason is that Snape seems to me a man who's more likely to indulge his melancholy than to avoid it. He's too sober and focused to be a drinker and he doesn't seem like an eater, so drowning his sorrows wouldn't be an option. He's not loud or boisterous enough to let it out through having fun with friends, and he's too independent to engage in therapy. I could in theory picture him meditating, but other than that I think he'd have melancholy cultural tastes.

Se7en is a movie with a very dark environment, an intense story that involves confronting the very question of evil. It's a crime drama which I think he'd enjoy, and the ending is a massive release. It has a sophisticated range of music and quotations - I can really picture Snape thoroughly enjoying the library scene with Bach's Air in the background, not to mention the morbid quotes from Milton, Dante, etc. I think Snape would also be fascinated with the morally ambiguous questions it asks about sin and what constitutes an innocent person. And I don't really consider Se7en a very nihilist film. On the contrary, the villain in that film is the nihilist, and they spend the film trying to kill him and
Spoiler: show
eventually succeeding - though Brad Pitt's character becomes the sin of Wrath himself
. It's kind of anti-nihilist in a way. I think he'd also consider it fitting that Wrath is the sin that never dies, and that the one it kills is Envy. It's really as if Envy has become Wrath, which is something that I think Snape would enjoy vicariously, since he can't become Wrath himself.

Last edited by APolaris; July 2nd, 2010 at 3:03 am.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 3:22 am

I've seen all the movies you mentioned except Slumdog Millionaire. I haven't watched it, but, if it's on your list I should probably give it a try. Se7en was excellent. Morgan Freeman is a great actor, and, I think Severus might give it a try.

I love Casablanca, but, that might be too much like losing Lily to James -- although Rick did tell Ilsa to go with her husband, still.....; I cried most of the way through Schindler's List and a good bit of Shawshank Redemption. I like P & P, but not nearly as well as S & S. (No Col. Brandon )

Another movie that I usually cry through most, if not all of, is The Green Mile. That is such a good movie, and, I love Tom Hanks. Just about anything he's in is great. Saving Pvt. Ryan was fantastic, but, had such a sad ending. I'm not sure whether either of those would make Sev's list of "Films I Want To See."

I'm not a big Western fan, but, two of my all-time favorites are The Magnificient Seven and Tombstone. I think Snape could relate to Yul Brenner as Chris and Curt Russel as Wyatt Earp. Both fighting bad guys, both with flawed pasts, both dress in black. They have a lot in common with him. Just not as much snark, and no billowing (darn).

I wonder if he'd like comedies at all -- the older ones: Laurel and Hardy, W.C. Fields...

To prove me wrong.
Spent without you.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 4:25 am
Banned

Green Mile was my #1 prison movie until about the 7th time I watched Shawshank. Only after that point did Shawshank overtake it. They were both based on novellas by my favorite modern author, in fact.

Snape seems to be extremely dry on the humor scale. I get the impression that he may enjoy dry, dark comedies like "Lost in Translation" that also make you think a lot. Were he somewhat less brooding, I'd be inclined to peg him as a Monty Python fan (I tend to peg nearly all intelligent people as would-be Python fans for some reason), but under the circumstances I think not. I also think he would like "Shaun of the Dead." Its humor is very subtle.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 5:49 am

Of course. Monty Python. Somehow I think he might get a smile at the "Upperclass Twit of the Year" competition, or, possibly the dead parrot sketch. There's no way he could keep from at least chuckling at the "Lumberjack Song." Even he's not that stoic.

Hey, he doesn't smoke, he imbibes in a little elf wine now and then, he doesn't womanize, or gamble...he's got to have some vices....Monty Python is as good as any. Imagine some of the images Voldy would get after a few, "And now, for something completely different" skits. Maybe a few grannies on the rampage would play with the Dark Lord's mind?

As for movies, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".....if that couldn't make him laugh, nothing could. "Shaun of the Dead"....great satire. He might like that.

He might be a Stephen King fan. Dark, complicated plots, unexpected twists, unusual endings...seldom any closure. Likes to leave us hanging for the most part. He might like that.

Maybe he's very eclectic in his tastes -- a bit of this and a touch of that. Kind of like ingredients for a potion.

To prove me wrong.
Spent without you.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 6:09 am
Banned

Actually, I know EXACTLY which Monty Python sketch Snape would like. "Welcome to the second leg of the exciting final for the World Cup of International Philosophy!" Just dry enough to fit Snape's personality.

Oh yes, and the argument clinic.

About King, I'm not sure. Snape likes flowery language only when it's poetic. He's a patient man who hates being patient, which is why he's so impatient in his classes. I don't think he'd like a mass of narrative description, which is one of King's strongest suits. Also, I'm not so sure about King never leaving closure - IT has one of the best closures I've read in any book, maybe the best. He might like King's short stories a bit more - they're less descriptive and more substantive, and sometimes contain Lovecraft and Poe references. I forgot its name, but Night Shift also contained an extremely tragic story about a boy who saved his sister's life when she was young, only for her to hate her life so much as an adult that she takes it anyway. Snape may find that indulgent. He might also like what are IMO the best King novels, such as The Stand, Hearts in Atlantis, Bag of Bones, and the Dark Tower saga. (Interestingly, none of these are horror, and neither are Shawshank or Green Mile. This forces me to question why he's often called the "master of horror.")

Last edited by APolaris; July 2nd, 2010 at 6:16 am.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 9:58 am
Zonko's Employee

On Snape and Se7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
One thing interesting, though: Snape was still alive when the film came out, so he could have seen it. But I think he would have been, well, extremely disturbed after seeing it.
I was certainly extremely disturbed after seeing it. I've always been very thankful I never saw that film in the cinema. I truly loathe that film because of the extremely sadistic nature of the murders. I can't see Snape enjoying something like that -- especially extreme violence towards women. Too close to home (his DE past).

I can, however, imagine him enjoying a classic Scorsese gangster flick. Yes, I know they're violent too, but it's mobsters killing each other, rather than a vicious serial killer targeting innocents ... the latter is far too close to home to Snape's DE past, IMO. I don't think he would want to be reminded of Voldemort's worst and most sadistic excesses.

Sam Mendes' gangster flick The Road to Perdition strikes me as a film which might be to Snape's tastes. It's a strongly moral tale!

The Shawshank Redemption ... I can see Snape enjoying that one. Especially the awesome payback at the end!

Old July 2nd, 2010, 2:00 pm

What about the classic of all gangster flicks - "The Godfather"? At least I and II (III was a farce, IMO, playing off the success of the others). You've got just about everything in that one, and, some of the best directing ever. I think he'd appreciate that.

I agree about Shawshank, both the book and movie. Such a great story. I like King's non-horror stories, like Shawshank, Green Mile, Hearts in Atlantis, better than his horror stories.

He might have liked Bradbury, too. "Something Wicked This Way Comes," "Farenheit 451," "The Illustrated Man," and such.

I think he would have like Poe...the dark, melancholy style. And, Poe's personal story was one of lost love and, at times, lost hope.

To prove me wrong.
Spent without you.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 2:41 am

MinCat: Poe, definitely ~ with his Lost Lenore!!!

I think Casablanca would be too sad for Snape to watch, but there's no doubt he would have seen it while growing up and that it might resonate with him later.

Peter Lorre reminds me of Peter Pettigrew, a total sell-out for money:

"You despise me, don't you Rick?"
"When I think of you at all..."

And Rick is all about denying that he cares about the bigger picture, but when Laszlo wants the band to play Le Marseillaise, he goes along with it. And in the end, he shows that he does care about more than himself. His outward appearance is an act, and he's completely sentimental about his relationship with Ingrid Bergman.

And I think Snape is a poetry reader, since he is connected with both a poem (bottle fame/ brew glory etcetera...) and a riddle that is somewhat like a poem. One thing I learned from entering the potions challenge last year is that each recipe became almost like a found-poem. Also, Snape has a certain cadence to the way he speaks in the books that is very rhythmical and he chooses his words like a writer. JKR gave him some of the best lines in the books, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APolaris
Republic of Pemberley
That tells me all I need to know about your obsession. While I've never been a big reader of HP fanfic, I think I've read almost everything over on RoP. The reason is that Jane Austen left out some key scenes that are so fun to contemplate - Mr. Darcy asking Mr. Bennet for Eliza's hand for one. There are a million ways that could go down!

Old July 3rd, 2010, 3:25 am

Quote:
It might also amuse him to see snark, American style... and played by a Brit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIP
And I think Snape is a poetry reader, since he is connected with both a poem (bottle fame/ brew glory etcetera...) and a riddle that is somewhat like a poem. One thing I learned from entering the potions challenge last year is that each recipe became almost like a found-poem. Also, Snape has a certain cadence to the way he speaks in the books that is very rhythmical and he chooses his words like a writer. JKR gave him some of the best lines in the books, too.
It is actually possible to explicate his opening classroom remarks. There is a near constant stream of l and s sounds flowing through the passage – a combination of “liquid” and “sibilant” sounds, emulating the liquids being brewed in Potions and the simmering sound of the heat used to brew them.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; July 3rd, 2010 at 3:29 am.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 3:51 am
Banned

Quote:
MinCat: Poe, definitely ~ with his Lost Lenore!!!
I think he'd like both "Lenore" and "The Raven," interests he would probably share with Dumbledore (though I think they'd argue over the meaning of the latter). Whether he'd like the stuff such as "The Cask of Amontillado" or "The Fall of the House of Usher" is another story - those seem more like Slughorn interests to me. I think Snape would like "The Tell-Tale Heart" more than the former - it's grittier and more suspenseful. "The Black Cat" would be a decent fit, but personally I think his #1 favorite by Poe would be "The Gold Bug," the same story that first got me interested in cryptograms and cryptoquotes.

I think I can actually predict Snape's favorite short story of all: "Jerusalem's Lot" by Stephen King. It's written in a style similar to Poe, in which the action is displayed by a series of letters written by the narrator who becomes gradually less and less sane... except that, if it can be believed, King actually does it better than Poe in that story. It also makes very blatant H.P. Lovecraft references, as well as implied references to minor plot points in King's own second-ever novel, "Salem's Lot." Most of all, it's dark, it's very brooding, and it's very detached from the world. The Lovecraft deity Yogsothoth even makes an appearance.

Quote:
That tells me all I need to know about your obsession. While I've never been a big reader of HP fanfic, I think I've read almost everything over on RoP. The reason is that Jane Austen left out some key scenes that are so fun to contemplate - Mr. Darcy asking Mr. Bennet for Eliza's hand for one. There are a million ways that could go down!
I never read the RoP fanfics, but I did read the "idea for a novel" that Austen had written and posted on its forum for a while. Also, I went to the Morgan Library's display in January with about 9 or 10 other members. It turned out that only two were near my age and most were actually around my parents' age, something I was quite surprised by from a website. After the library, we had some food at the Algonquin hotel in Manhattan. I did find that although most were relatively aloof, the ones I could engage in conversation were very interesting people to talk to. It was probably one of the only possible gatherings in which I was the least Austen-knowledgable person of the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat
Music, how could I forget Neil Diamond - "Hot August Night": Holly Holy, Red Red Wine, I Am, I Said
Where are "Song Sung Blue" and "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon"?

Last edited by APolaris; July 3rd, 2010 at 4:00 am.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 3:56 am

Music, how could I forget Neil Diamond - "Hot August Night": Holly Holy, Red Red Wine, I Am, I Said. (I am, I said, to no one there. And, no one heard at all, not even the chair.) And, maybe a little CCR (I Put A Spell on You). How could I miss those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by APolaris View Post
I think he'd like both "Lenore" and "The Raven," interests he would probably share with Dumbledore (though I think they'd argue over the meaning of the latter). Whether he'd like the stuff such as "The Cask of Amontillado" or "The Fall of the House of Usher" is another story - those seem more like Slughorn interests to me. I think Snape would like "The Tell-Tale Heart" more than the former - it's grittier and more suspenseful. "The Black Cat" would be a decent fit, but personally I think his #1 favorite by Poe would be "The Gold Bug," the same story that first got me interested in cryptograms and cryptoquotes.
What about "Pit and the Pendelum"? That one always gave me chills. Of course, Poe is good for that. Yes, I think "The Gold Bug," and "Tell Tale Heart," definitely. And, "The Raven." I can almost hear him saying "Never-more." And, Lenore...that's such a sad poem.

Considering his mastery at Potions, he might like cryptograms. Or, logic puzzles, even more. He could probably do a book of those with half his brain tied behind him.

Quote:
I think I can actually predict Snape's favorite short story of all: "Jerusalem's Lot" by Stephen King. It's written in a style similar to Poe, in which the action is displayed by a series of letters written by the narrator who becomes gradually less and less sane... except that, if it can be believed, King actually does it better than Poe in that story. It also makes very blatant H.P. Lovecraft references, as well as implied references to minor plot points in King's own second-ever novel, "Salem's Lot." Most of all, it's dark, it's very brooding, and it's very detached from the world. The Lovecraft deity Yogsothoth even makes an appearance.
I ashamed to admit it, but, I haven't read "Jerusalem's Lot." I did read "Salem's Lot." I'll have to read the short story.

Quote:
Where are "Song Sung Blue" and "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon"?
Right up there with "September Morn" (Hogwarts' Express on the 1st of September every year), "Shilo," "Sweet Caroline," " Play Me," " Cracklin` Rosie," "Morningside" (one of my very favorites of his, ever), "Crunchy Granola Suite," "Done Too Soon," and all the rest...on the CD that gets played whenever I want to "time-travel" a bit.

I think several of those might just appeal to Sev.

To prove me wrong.
Spent without you.

Last edited by MinervasCat; July 3rd, 2010 at 4:24 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve