Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

How does Voldemort compare with other villains?



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #101  
Old June 13th, 2008, 7:47 pm
xhanax315's Avatar
xhanax315  Undisclosed.gif xhanax315 is offline
Mrs Gilbert Grape
 
Joined: 5377 days
Location: Surrounded by traitors...
Age: 30
Posts: 2,993
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

One villian that I thought compared to Voldemort, is Thomas Harris' Hanniable Lecter. Reading Hanniable Rising made me picture a young Tom Riddle. They were both orphans, and killed for pleasure. Hanniable sought the murderers of Mischa and tortured them before he murder them. Even Lector morphed into something completely evil just like Lord Voldemort.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #102  
Old August 7th, 2008, 4:43 am
goonie102  Male.gif goonie102 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5233 days
Location: Brockville Ontario Canada
Age: 34
Posts: 156
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
One villian that I thought compared to Voldemort, is Thomas Harris' Hanniable Lecter. Reading Hanniable Rising made me picture a young Tom Riddle. They were both orphans, and killed for pleasure. Hanniable sought the murderers of Mischa and tortured them before he murder them. Even Lector morphed into something completely evil just like Lord Voldemort.
I Agree, Great Match Those Too


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old August 7th, 2008, 8:55 pm
RemusLupinFan's Avatar
RemusLupinFan  Female.gif RemusLupinFan is offline
I want to believe
 
Joined: 5789 days
Location: The office in the basement
Posts: 5,897
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

When I think of villains in other series as compared to Voldemort, a bunch of bad guys pop into my head. First, there's Emperor Palpetine/Darth Sidious, who rules the galaxy for quite a while. I see similarities between Voldemort and Sidious in their desires for ultimate power and domination. Another similarity is their deformed appearances, which reflects the deformities of their souls: Voldemort's due to the Horcruxes and Sidious' due to using force lightning for too long. But for me, Sidious' level of evilness was beyond Voldemort's. Personally, I found Sidious to be a lot creepier and a lot more evil. And for him, we don't know why he became evil, whereas we do see Voldemort's backstory. As for Darth Vader, I think there are differences in between he and Voldemort in the fact that Anakin was good for the first ~20 years of his life before turning evil, and the fact that he was redeemed in the end. Vader was pretty evil, but overall Voldemort was more evil and much less human than Vader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I think Palpatine out did Voldemort by leaps and bounds. He was way cooler too because he could use the force.
I agree with that.

Other villains that comes to mind are Morgoth and Sauron. Of these two, I'd say Morgoth is more comparable to Darth Sidious than he is to Voldemort. Between Voldemort and Sauron, the comparison is closer, I think. Both tried to dominate by force and by taking away the free will of others using various means. Both were utterly ruthless during their fights with the good side as well. One difference between these two villains is that Sauron seemed to have more overall power and ruled on a larger scale than Voldemort.

Regarding Hannibal Lecter - I'm not very familiar with this story, though I did see the Hannibal movie (can't say I liked it much though!). But now that you mention it, there are some similarities in the backstories of these characters, though I'd say Lecter is a bit more like Anakin in that he was definitely good at one point and then went bad.

This isn't to say that Voldemort is a weak villain who isn't very scary - on the contrary. Within the context of the story, Voldemort is the baddest one around who has a significant impact on the world he's in.


__________________

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old August 7th, 2008, 9:38 pm
Sacred_Memories's Avatar
Sacred_Memories  Male.gif Sacred_Memories is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4675 days
Location: Godric's Hollow
Age: 27
Posts: 985
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

I personally find Bellatrix a better villain than Voldemort.


__________________

~ A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old August 16th, 2008, 6:18 am
permafrost  Female.gif permafrost is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4709 days
Location: where "bag" rhymes w/ "vague"
Posts: 72
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

Voldemort seems different than most other villians in that he is simply evil. There's no real reason, no defining moment in his life that made him become the way he was, it was just in his nature. This is different than say, Darth Vader (an obvious comparison... but it's 12AM!) in that he was never "good"; he never loved a person in his life, and as a result didn't get that big emotional trauma when they died. It's really interesting, but, in a way, less likely to actually happen. Not many people can relate to Voldemort the way they might with other villains, and I think that's how JKR wanted it. He's just the bad guy. Pure and simple.


__________________
I'm ALIVE I'm ALIVE I'm ALIVE.


"The world is 63 years old."
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:33 pm
UselessCharmMaster  Undisclosed.gif UselessCharmMaster is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 6050 days
Location: Glass jar on Snape's desk
Posts: 1,148
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

A bad guy without any depht. He's bad. He's bad. It's all.


__________________
Severus Snape: More Enigma Than Riddle

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old August 31st, 2008, 5:01 pm
Nox21  Undisclosed.gif Nox21 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4625 days
Location: Somewhere else...
Age: 31
Posts: 20
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessCharmMaster View Post
A bad guy without any depht. He's bad. He's bad. It's all.
I don't know, I think Voldemort has a lot more going for him than just an intrinsic "badness" that is just there. I think Voldemort's complete rationality is the most frightening thing about him, and what makes him different than, say, Bellatrix. Most of the villains we hear about are psychotic, mentally insane in other ways, were nurtured into their evil stand by events early in life, or seek revenge. Voldemort, on the other hand, is completely rational. He bases his choices on a misguided quest for power, true, but the way he arrives at his belief that there is no good or evil but only power and those too weak to seek it is rational (albeit umm...wrong). In this way, he is reminiscent of Palpatine. I would hesitate to compare Voldemort to Sauron or Morgoth because they are not human characters and are therefore not subject to the same assumptions as man, although they do also exhibit this kind of intrinsic evil that Voldemort portrays.

Anyway, my point is that Voldemort is more frightening because of his rationality in choosing evil, contrasting with Bellatrix and even the Joker, who I think it is safe to say are mentally suspect. Think of that cold sense of power, of righteousness, that Voldemort feels before he murders. That, to me, is the most frightening thing about him.


Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old September 4th, 2008, 7:50 am
MudBloodSare  Female.gif MudBloodSare is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5585 days
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Posts: 158
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

I think Hannibal Lector is one of the most fascinating villains, expecially when played by Anthony Hopkins.

Also with Voldemort, it's great to have the fascinating look into his childhood (the trailer for the 6th movie looks awesome with that creepy glimpse of him as a child) but we don't exactly get to know what he is/was like as a young adult/older man...

What do people think of the whole 'love'thing - how Voldemort never really understood/appreciated it? denied/refused to believe it? how does this compare to other villains?

I love Scar from The Lion King haha so deliciously sinister & jealous of Mufassa. Do you tihnk Voldemort was jealous of Harry/Dumbledore/anyone else?? So many questions!


__________________
I am a proud Gryffin-Claw!
adfoot:
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old September 4th, 2008, 3:41 pm
RemusLupinFan's Avatar
RemusLupinFan  Female.gif RemusLupinFan is offline
I want to believe
 
Joined: 5789 days
Location: The office in the basement
Posts: 5,897
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBloodSare View Post
Do you tihnk Voldemort was jealous of Harry/Dumbledore/anyone else??
That's an interesting question! I think he might have been a bit jealous of Dumbledore in a way, because Dumbledore did have some amount of power/standing in the wizarding world, and Dumbledore was able to frighten him (and perhaps because Dumbledore was so connected to Hogwarts, which was a special place for him). I don't think Voldemort was ever jealous of Harry though, because he always underestimated him whenever they met. I believe he viewed Harry with contempt, and as someone beneath him, who was only getting lucky during their confrontations. I don't think Voldemort harbored jealousy for those who had close friends/loving relationships because felt that love was also contemptuous (ie a weakness).


__________________

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old September 7th, 2008, 6:50 pm
Trixa  Female.gif Trixa is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4556 days
Age: 30
Posts: 511
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

Quote:
Voldemort, on the other hand, is completely rational.
He wasn't too rational in DH when he was killing his followers just because he was angry that Harry took the Horcrux from Gringotts (a situation he could have easily prevented).
Quote:
Anyway, my point is that Voldemort is more frightening because of his rationality in choosing evil, contrasting with Bellatrix and even the Joker, who I think it is safe to say are mentally suspect.
Voldemort is just as crazy as Bellatrix and the Joker except that he has a cold kind of craziness while Bellatrix's insanity is of the overemotional type.


__________________
Flanders, you su-diddley-uck!
Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old September 21st, 2008, 3:33 am
vampiricduck's Avatar
vampiricduck  Female.gif vampiricduck is offline
Qvack...
 
Joined: 5366 days
Location: Cork, Ireland
Age: 29
Posts: 3,271
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

I think Voldemort is a lot of different villains tied up in one, including the transparency and seemingly indulgently obliterating Morgoth (NOT the admin..) and also the seemingly invincible Sauron. He seems quite similar too to Lord Asriel(HDM) and to Iida Sadamu (Otori) in terms of a distinct lack of fair play and a particular irreligious immoral streak.

Outside of that, he's quite like Lews Therin Telemon, brilliant but so entirely corrupted by power that survival is too difficult, and staying with Wheel of Time, he's also like Shai'tan, the antithesis of everything good and worthwhile in the world. Sort of a "source of all evil" kinda guy.

But the huge difference with all of those is that, outside of Sadamu and Asriel, he's not as timeless as the others and doesn't compare to them in terms of strength and brutality, oddly enough. I suppose he's more modern, in that sense.

Perhaps he's also like Jadis, from the Chronicles of Narnia..


__________________

THE DUCK.

Avatar comes from bluebison.net
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old October 14th, 2008, 4:44 pm
janblack  Female.gif janblack is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4220 days
Age: 28
Posts: 239
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

Well... Voldemort is classic.... in a mad scientist kind of way...


Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:58 pm
sirius_lee_G  Female.gif sirius_lee_G is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4395 days
Location: Canada, calgary
Age: 28
Posts: 840
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

One similarity i see is that he always comes back. Like he gets defeated once, bam he's back again. Also, they all (most) seem to have that secret past...


__________________
CALGARY FLAMES:
we never lose games!-we just run outta time

for other hockey team supporters:
its too late to apologize... but its not to late to flamitize!
I'VE GOT A C FLAMING ON MY CHEST!

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)

Snape always had a reason

http://www.calgary-city-maps.com/images/CalgaryFlames.gif
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old January 11th, 2009, 3:59 pm
BloodThirst  Male.gif BloodThirst is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4117 days
Location: Melbourne City, AUS
Posts: 25
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

The Dark Lord definitely does share alot of similarities to many other villains but he is also unique in his own sense. He was definitely sadistic and was willing to experiment in very very dark magic and also was willing to push his magic to it's limits.

His similarities with all villains is his lust for power. Also how he was feared by everyone in the wizarding world and how he had faithful followers.

The Dark Lord is definitely my favourite villain followed closely by Joker (from The Dark Knight).


__________________
do you really believe that vampires aren't real?

Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old January 23rd, 2009, 9:10 pm
Vladimir_Lupin  Male.gif Vladimir_Lupin is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4132 days
Location: Leiden, NL
Age: 33
Posts: 29
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbysfriend View Post
He is such a typical megalomaniac. He wants to take over the world, he strikes fear into the hearts of men, he has loyal minions, and he makes mistakes. Just like Brona (Shannara), Khan (Star Trek), Darth Vader (Star Wars), Hilter (Germany), Brain (Pinkey & the Brain), Sauron (Lord of the Rings), the Borg (Star Trek), Gold Finger (James Bond).
I disagree. On several parts. True, Voldemort may have been a megalomaniac. But he is not a typical villain. He is more akin to Hitler, who I think does not belong in that list of yours.

Typical villains in literature have a personal reason to take revenge on the world at large. They are deranged, hyper-individualistic, often wealthy and influential figures that try to enslave the world to their whims by farfetched plans.

Voldemort is something much more dangerous, something much more real. He is not borrowed from villains. He is borrowed from actual human ideas and goals.

Voldemort is a politician. He is a movement leader and a statesman. His goal is not world domination. His goal is pure-blood hegemony in Britain. His goal is a rigid society where the press tells you lies, where halfbloods are considered less than human, and muggles lesser still. Where not being born a pureblood Wizard will affect every moment in life and where a slip of the tongue may grant you one unmarked grave amongst thousands. And his strategies to getting to such a society are basic and realistic and tried and tested by hundreds of political Muggle organisations from the right, the center and the left.

Voldemort is a fascist, a racialist. He is larger than life and HE IS AMONGST US. Beware.


__________________
What's that I feel now, beating in my heart? I've felt that beat before
Hey, what's that I feel now, beating in my heart? I feel it more and more
It's the rumble of freedom calling, calling up to the sky
It's the rumble of the old ways a-falling, you can feel it if you try
You can feel it if you try

Phil Ochs

Last edited by Vladimir_Lupin; January 23rd, 2009 at 9:18 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old February 5th, 2009, 7:25 am
skullangel  Male.gif skullangel is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4584 days
Posts: 332
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
When I think of villains in other series as compared to Voldemort, a bunch of bad guys pop into my head. First, there's Emperor Palpetine/Darth Sidious, who rules the galaxy for quite a while. I see similarities between Voldemort and Sidious in their desires for ultimate power and domination. Another similarity is their deformed appearances, which reflects the deformities of their souls: Voldemort's due to the Horcruxes and Sidious' due to using force lightning for too long. But for me, Sidious' level of evilness was beyond Voldemort's. Personally, I found Sidious to be a lot creepier and a lot more evil. And for him, we don't know why he became evil, whereas we do see Voldemort's backstory. As for Darth Vader, I think there are differences in between he and Voldemort in the fact that Anakin was good for the first ~20 years of his life before turning evil, and the fact that he was redeemed in the end. Vader was pretty evil, but overall Voldemort was more evil and much less human than Vader.I agree with that.
.
Quite right...

To me Dark Lord Voldemort and Dark Lord Sidious (Palpatine) are one easily on equal terms. Their level of evil is almost at par, but Palpatine has done worse things like giving clearance to kill an entire planet and much much worse.

Which makes me wonder what would happen if they fought.


__________________

Who the Heck Recast?

See my HP music videos at Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAm8ogssSU What is behind the Shell?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRqBm52n-8 Is Harry "Good Enough" by Evanescence
Read My Crossover Fanfic: Goblet of Fire
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114176
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:42 am
Lord Voldemort
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

I am clearly superior to all other villains. Even Grindlewald was nothing next to me.


Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old April 1st, 2009, 1:23 am
vampiricduck's Avatar
vampiricduck  Female.gif vampiricduck is offline
Qvack...
 
Joined: 5366 days
Location: Cork, Ireland
Age: 29
Posts: 3,271
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post
I am clearly superior to all other villains. Even Grindlewald was nothing next to me.
I think you need a refresher course in How to be respectful on the boards.


Viva la Resistance!!!


__________________

THE DUCK.

Avatar comes from bluebison.net

Last edited by vampiricduck; April 1st, 2009 at 1:27 am.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old April 1st, 2009, 4:20 am
Random Death Eater
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
I think you need a refresher course in How to be respectful on the boards.


Viva la Resistance!!!
You will not speak to the Lord Voldemort in that manner! He may say anything he wishes!


Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old April 1st, 2009, 4:43 am
Daggerstone's Avatar
Daggerstone  Female.gif Daggerstone is offline
Splendide Mendax
 
Joined: 4050 days
Location: In Snape's pocket
Age: 42
Posts: 1,284
Re: How does Voldemort compare with other villains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post
I am clearly superior to all other villains.
Actually, m'lord... You and old Dumby come pretty close...


__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Pensieve

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:36 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.